General discussion about the sport of hang gliding
Tad Eareckson

Re: landing

Post by Tad Eareckson »

http://www.hanggliding.org/viewtopic.php?t=34985
Low Turns to Final
Michael Grisham - 2017/01/01 18:09:10 UTC

Telepilot,

In your description above you have not provided us with a definitive bank angle when the wing tip was two feet off the ground.
Telepilot - 2017/01/01 19:49:39 UTC

It was a high enough bank angle to get our attention. A lot of altitude loss. Not slipping by any means though.
Coordinated. In control.
Big airspeed as I said earlier.
Yeah. Big airspeed. Tons of control authority.
A fast low diving turn rolling out from the turn about the same time as the roundout began.
Gee, you'd think that they'd start becoming aware of the extreme danger in which they're putting themselves every landing and dial things up a bit higher.
Telepilot - 2017/01/02 19:00:30 UTC

Man, I hate to say it but after watching this thread develop, I now think maybe the biggest single threat we have to our sport in the U.S. is the commercial tandem ride.
What's a commercial tandem ride? I thought the tandem exemption was granted for the sole purpose of increasing the safety of pilot training towards Three level. Geez, everybody remember the bloodbath we used to have at the training hills and on the early high flights from the dark ages when there weren't any commercial tandem rides? Oops, meant to say "tandem training flights?"
I know it's the bread and butter of a lot of HG businesses and I don't know how they survive if that activity loses it's insurance.
Fuckin' Highland Aerosports couldn't survive WITH its bread and butter AND insurance. And the Mid Atlantic flyer population got stuck with a lot of expensive junk aerotow equipment and AT ratings pretty much useless to them for the rest of time and lost the best flying resource they ever had or ever will.
And please believe me when I say, There is NO WAY I WANT TANDEMS SHUT DOWN!!!!
Yeah, it would be such a blow to pilot training.
As Ryan says, and we all already know, Hang Gliding is Risky.
1. By design, deliberately. Because of fuckin' assholes like Ryan Instant-Hands-Free-Release Voight and Jim Keen-Intellect Rooney.
2. 'Specially the kind of hang gliding which has resulted in zero indidents. That's the stuff that we REALLY gotta do something about - FAST.
Like all of us, we try to mitigate the known risks on every flight (at least I know I do).
Best aerotow equipment money can buy, stomp tests for every preflight, hook-in check just prior to every foot launch, maximum conservation of runway length, wheel landings whenever appropriate.
So, as Ryan put it to Jason, "you also know when to, and when not to, do it that way vs making different (more conservative) choices."
Extremely easily reachable releases and the safest possible weaklinks capable of getting the average glider up to flying speed.
The tandem ride, it seems to me, is an ideal instance to make those MORE CONSERVATIVE choices. LONG STRAIGHT FINAL.

rant over ----- Happy New Year !
Suck my dick.
Ryan Voight - 2017/01/03 02:47:22 UTC

I would not, and am not, disagreeing with the first sentiment in your conclusion- instructional tandem flights are an ideal instance to make those more conservative choices.
The best of which would be an immediate and permanent banning of tandem flights.
What I disagree with, is where you go with that- "LONG STRAIGHT FINAL".
Oh crap, Ryan and I are falling into alignment on an issue to some extent.
That is a very black-and-white mandate you're putting on others. And you haven't yet defined what airspeed or approach angle you feel appropriate/excessive. Do you care how steeply or aggressively a tandem pilot dives it in... or is the approach acceptable as long as it's long and straight? Check out some of Wolfi's swooping vids Image

This whole discussion *DOES* bring up an excellent, bigger issue.
That the pilot who is competent enough to pull off a hot RLF approach is gonna be the one who can consistently and safely put it down in the situations that have interrupted and ended a fair number of careers and lives over the course of the past couple years?
Where IS the line between acceptable and reprehensible? And who is the judge? The pilot? Any pilot observing? The majority rule via community opinion- like this thread asked for? I said earlier, as unfair as it may be, but that line is different for each pilot, and different on each day, and it even changes as conditions change throughout the day. We simply do not know if the tandem pilot(s) in question are reckless "go for it" types, or if what you saw- albeit radical- was actually a calculated precision maneuver. That's where the talking to them comes in... and where the talking to *ANYONE* on the internet becomes useless.
Now watch how Ryan blathers on for another three mind-numbing paragraphs about Low Turns to Final being more or less RISKY depending on individual pilot skill, experience, comfort level... With a gun to his head the motherfucker won't say anything about the ability to execute Low Turns to Final being the fundamental COMPETENCE that makes it safe for guys like Ron Keinan to fly the tasks set for the 2016 Santa Cruz Flats Race.

Ryan won't and can't say anything along those lines 'cause in u$hPa-World all runways are infinite in length and never have any problematic obstructions - like trees or powerlines - on their peripheries and one always throws out the first half of the infinitely long runway and adjusts his Long Straight Final to target the old Frisbee at the end of the first half of infinity.

Low Turns to Final require measures of skill and judgment and u$hPa Instructors neither teach nor have it. The Long Straight Final to the old Frisbee in the middle of the LZ is to landing approaches what the Rooney Link is to AT launches.

Sorry Ryan, please continue blathering on.
Tandem flights *ARE* one of our greatest exposures to liability, there's no denying that. However, having a pilot decide what another pilot can or can't, should or shouldn't, be doing... that's a tough sell within hang gliding, to say the least. In the case of tandem instruction, there is a pretty short list of tandem administrators in each region, and each of them only obtains the privilege to serve in that role by being voted on by the USHPA BOD. Of course it's likely some carry out their responsibilities better than others, and it's possible some fail at being responsible with the ability to issue tandem certifications (although all the admins I know take it VERY seriously!). So, working on the grand assumption the tandem pilot's witnessed in the OP are USHPA rated tandem instructors, they've been trained, checked out, tested, and had the importance of safety in tandem activities smashed deep in their skulls. It's possible you witnessed someone doing something they shouldn't (not sure who decides that it's something they shouldn't be doing, if there's no USHPA SOP against it)... or maybe you simply witnessed something where you have a difference of opinion.

I sort of mentioned earlier, how hard it can be sometimes to recognize when someone is doing something they could repeat, precisely, hundreds and hundreds of times... or when they're doing something and "luck" guides them through. The first couple times I looped, it felt lucky. Everyone said it looked perfect... but I didn't feel like the result (success) was something I could take credit for, nevermind rely on again and again. After many MORE years of training after my first loops, it was a totally different experience. I was now able to keep up with what was happening, and even anticipate what was about to be needed. I was flying the glider, ahead of the glider even, throughout the climb and around the top. I knew immediately, if I do another one- I can monitor how it is going and make the necessary adjustments to maintain positive loading, but also keep that loading smooth and light so as to not break something Image

But if you were watching from the air or the LZ... the first loop I ever did, and the last most recent loop I did... you wouldn't observe much difference. Especially if you're not well studied in aerobatics and looping (being a HG pilot doesn't qualify one to pick out the details in things like that... most HG pilots can't tell a "loop" from a "wingover"... forget about knowing if that wingover was a rollover or a climbover. I frequently get accused of looping my Falcon... which, obviously, I did not). Same for low fast carved approaches. Is it greater risk than a long straight final... most likely yea. And flying is greater risk than having a picnic in the field instead- so why is one choice to commit risk ok and one is not... and why are you who gets to decide that for them (pilot OR passenger)?
Toldyaso.

It's a total no fuckin' brainer that RLF competency has NEVER been taught and NEVER will be. And let's take a good look at the relevant Special Skill "requirements":
The United States Hang Gliding and Paragliding Association, Inc. - 2016/10/22
Standard Operating Procedure
12. Rating System
02. Pilot Proficiency System
11. Hang Gliding Special Skill Endorsements
-B. Special Skills attainable by Intermediate and above (H3-H5).

03. Restricted Landing Field (RLF):

-a. Demonstrates a landing using a downwind leg, base leg and a final leg approach where the entire base leg, final and landing occur within a 300' square.
That's all, folks. There's an "a" but no "b". (Great job outlining, u$hPa.) And notice that it doesn't say anything about:
- a DESIGNATED three hundred foot
- actual obstructions
- maxiumum altitudes
- minimum bank angles
- glider performance
- a landing target
- foot, wheels, belly
- whether the glider needs to remain flyable after landing

So you could do an evening truck tow to two grand at El Mirage on a Falcon 2 in a glassy smooth twenty with a GPS receiver logging your track, sink down to 300 feet at ANYWHERE, turn downwind and hold a bit o' speed, pull a 150 and crab sideways for two hundred feet worth of crosswind, straighten up into the wind, pull in, descend at one to one until you float to a stop still zipped up in your pod.

Produce your track log and a hundred bucks for your friendly neighborhood ratings official and you're good for wherever Davis feels like sending you for the Santa Cruz Flats Race.
-B. Novice Rating - Required Witnessed Tasks
02. Demonstrated Skills and Knowledge

-f. While in preferred flying position, demonstrates flight(s) along a planned path alternating "S" turns of at least 90° change in heading. Flight heading need not exceed 45° from straight into wind. Turns must be smooth with controlled airspeed, ending in safe, stand-up landings on a heading.

-g. Demonstrates 180° turns in both directions, and at various speeds and bank angles.

-i. Demonstrates three consecutive landings that average less than 100' from a target (or optional landing task - see Addendum 1 - Optional Landing Task), safe, smooth, on feet and into the wind. The target must be sufficiently close to launch such that turns are required to set up an approach and avoid over-flying the target. The target should be at least 100' below the launch point.
THOSE are way more exacting RLF skill requirements than the RLF Special Skills requirements are. And it's a goddam HANG ONE doing them.

Total fuckin' joke. And this crap is supposed to be preparing, qualifying people for the REAL world. People like Ron Keinan who permanently lose 85 percent of their IQs 'cause they can't safely clear twenty foot treelines along planned comp XC routes. But don't worry, people of varying ages... We've always got plenty of choppers standing by and ready to get what's left of you to where it needs to go.

Keep up the great work, Ryan.
TheFjordflier

Post by TheFjordflier »

Good thread.
Maybe not revelant, but at least not a long final glide ;)

http://vimeo.com/226578935
APPROACH and LANDING
TheFjordflier - 2017/07/22 19:47 UTC
dead

Stills:
http://www.kitestrings.org/post11651.html#p11651

058-14508-B
http://live.staticflickr.com/65535/48425525387_58dd6a2439_o.png
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

EXTREMELY revelant. And a thing of absolute beauty on top of that - location, lighting, color, cinematography, flying, execution. I've never seen anything like it before.

Excellent illustration of an actual and rather extreme RLF plus approach situation and exactly how a hang glider can and should be flown to exploit / safely deal with it. From steady on final to touchdown - eleven seconds. (Instead of the half hour or so that I'm used to seeing at US sites.)

http://www.hanggliding.org/viewtopic.php?t=30722
What happened to JD?
Tom Lyon - 2014/02/04 07:55:19 UTC

That's what I was referring to when I commented on turns near the ground elsewhere. I see so many landings where a low turn from base to final is just standard. And almost all of us have either seen, or know of someone who caught a wingtip or otherwise landed while in a turn. It's so dangerous.

In learning to fly the sailplanes, I had it drilled into me that below 200 feet, my options did not include anything more than maybe a very slight turn to avoid hitting an obstacle. Like 30 degrees from my heading may. A slight bank.

I see hang gliders make 90 degree turns from base to final at maybe 50' - 75' AGL fairly often. And I always cringe. Turns down low definitely appear to be something (from my very limited experience) that our sport needs to take more seriously in terms of avoidance.
Get fucked Tom. Ditto for anyone and everyone who ever signed you off on anything.

That video oughta be required viewing for every Two level candidate on the planet. Fuckin' totally textbook.
NMERider

Post by NMERider »

It's funny how I wound up with a whiplash-type neck injury from performing too low of a turn from base to final with my over-sized drogue chute deployed while not paying attention to my sink rate which was 3X normal.
Had I been flying with wheels I'd have bounced off the LZ grass once or twice but otherwise been fine. Instead, the protruding center section of my WW carbon speed bar dug into the dirt and stopped abruptly.
After I bounced off my chest-mounted reserve (which caused the whiplash) the glider pitched over and the nose plate hit the back of my helmet with a lot of force.
There is no telling how many lives have been ruined no thanks to Cryin Ryan and any number of Hang 4/5-rated preachers pontificating their self-appointed fictional gospels truth.
Even without any drogue chute, I have had more close calls by performing low turns from base to final than I can remember. There is nothing safe about the maneuver even in the most benign conditions.
It is a circus stunt except in rare cases when it is truly needed to perform an RLF into a very tight space.
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

It's funny how I wound up with a whiplash-type neck injury...
No, there was absolutely nothing funny about that one.
...from performing too low of a turn from base to final...
Nobody's advocating TOO low of any turns from base to final. And Telepilot isn't seeing or describing any. TOO low by definition means unpleasant consequences.
...with my over-sized drogue chute...
Too big.
...deployed while not paying attention to my sink rate...
Too distracted.
...which was 3X normal.
Too fast.
Had I been flying with wheels...
And in hang gliding Davis Links are mandatory for increasing the safety of the towing operation...

14-03123
http://c2.staticflickr.com/6/5154/14422541620_a48c55b758_o.png

(...and fuck anybody making more of this crappy argument that being on tow is somehow safer than being off tow...)

18-03625
http://c2.staticflickr.com/4/3856/14607143664_5003d2e987_o.png
http://c1.staticflickr.com/3/2928/14422781117_a4a3b72ee6_o.png
20-03829

...while wheels are just crutches for assholes who can't be bothered to perfect their flare timing and people are substantially penalized for using them in comps.
...I'd have bounced off the LZ grass once or twice but otherwise been fine. Instead, the protruding center section of my WW carbon speed bar dug into the dirt and stopped abruptly.
Too abruptly. (No skids either.) That was a lot of toos you had to have in the equation to wind up with the results you did.
After I bounced off my chest-mounted reserve (which caused the whiplash)...
And in other instances they've provided padding which has kept people alive. Can't always design for crash protection without knowing what kind of crash you're gonna have. Lotsa designs and strategies are tradeoffs.
...the glider pitched over and the nose plate hit the back of my helmet with a lot of force.
Instead of the back of your neck with a lot of force...

http://ozreport.com/pub/images/babymother.jpg

...and quading you.
There is no telling how many lives have been ruined no thanks to Cryin Ryan and any number of Hang 4/5-rated preachers pontificating their self-appointed fictional gospels truth.
I'd say you can get pretty good ideas. For example, anybody who's ever helped dismiss or downplay the extreme and obvious dangers involved in flying cheap Quavis pro toad crap gets full credit for the Jeff Bohl fatality early last season. And I don't give a rat's ass if it's just one voice of a thousand - including the dead guy's.
Even without any drogue chute, I have had more close calls by performing low turns from base to final than I can remember.
1. But no actual crashes?
2. The implication being that more drogue chute landings would've translated to more crashes.
There is nothing safe about the maneuver even in the most benign conditions.
So you were executing more Low Turns to Final than you can remember for the sole purpose of increasing your likelihood of serious crashes?

I submit that there IS something safe about the maneuver 'cause I can't imagine any other reason for you to have been doing them. They may have become necessary as consequences of less than stellar earlier decisions, choices but at those late points in time they were what was keeping you from crashing. And all the executions were successful.
It is a circus stunt except in rare cases...
My Rube Goldberg aerotow release system is only of any safety value in extremely rare cases. Same can be said for parachutes, helmets, lift and tug, stomp tests, seatbelts, airbags... But the extremely rare stuff in hang gliding is common enough that just about all of us who've been around for a while have personally known people who ain't around no more who would've been had they employed my Rube Goldberg aerotow release system, lift and tug, stomp tests...

But a little side note here... My Rube Goldberg aerotow release system isn't emergency equipment like a parachute or helmet. It's an integral component of the glider's control system which the pilot uses to stay out of emergency situations - like a driver uses his steering wheel and gas and brake pedals. It's not something that comes into play only after things have gone tits up and may or may not mitigate the effects of a structural failure or crash. And it entails no downsides.
...when it is truly needed to perform an RLF into a very tight space.
And when this circus stunt is TRULY NEEDED to perform an RLF into a very tight space and you can't do it 'cause you haven't practiced it you leave the field on a stretcher or in a body bag.

Compare/Contrast with the circus stunt spot landing bullshit in the ratings requirements. Fuckin' ZILCH value in the real world and people of varying ages get demolished in droves as they work through the years to perfect them - with the aid and encouragement of Voight/Rooney/Shipley landing clinics.

Also... Notice that there's really ZERO middle ground in this conflict. THIS:

29-51219
http://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4208/35430901810_c2d89e7a70_o.png

has everybody cringing and peeing his pants and it doesn't even pass muster for u$hPa's wimpy RLF requirement - and there's the equivalent of a pretty good training hill flight's worth of airtime left at that point.

NOBODY's teaching a MODERATELY Low Turn to Final as a viable tool for stopping in a MODERATELY tight field. 'Cause once you start down that path you call into question u$hPa's Golden Landing Rule of always landing within five feet of the old Frisbee in the middle of the LZ - and the whole u$hPa landing Ponzi scheme starts unraveling. And I submit Ryan's meticulous and extensive avoidance of any acknowledgement of a safety advantage while defending the tandem approaches they're doing at Morningside only as exhilarating mildly risky stunts as irrefutable proof of that.

And I also submit that one hundred percent of these frequent catastrophic botched approach incidents we're seeing are the natural and easily predictable outcomes of this particular assault on fundamental aeronautical competence.
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

Low Turns to Final
NMERider - 2017/01/03 03:47:21 UTC

It isn't you that I dislike Ryan. It's the damage you have done and continue to do to the sport of hang gliding that I dislike along with your dishonesty and lack of personal integrity. These are all attributes and behaviors that I dislike. But you personally? Nope.
So what's a good reason to dislike somebody personally, Jonathan? Dishonesty, lack of personal integrity, sabotaging of all efforts to get measures of competence injected into the sport... That kinda stuff always works for me.
You're actually pretty entertaining as well as an outstanding pilot.
Donald Trump is pretty entertaining and Davis is an outstanding pilot. What's your point?

As far as I'm concerned the behavior is the person. What else do we have to go on or matters? I can cut a bit of slack for somebody who's been led astray but it's the motherfuckers like Ryan, Rooney, Davis who are doing all the leading.

I cut Ryan some slack when I thought there was a possibility that he'd just gotten a mistaken impression about what was going on with glider control during a launch run but not when it became blindingly obvious that he lied, was defending the lie, would never in a million years back off from the lie - let alone admit that he had lied.
Jason Boehm - 2017/01/03 22:11:13 UTC

The argument can easily be made that doing a low fast turn into a huge field is less risky than a low turn into a restricted field
Got that people of varying ages? A low fast turn in a huge field could be less risky that a low turn of unspecified speed in a restricted field. Make sure you're solid with it. It's on the written test.
And rollin g in a landing where you don't have a hand transisition makes it that much easier
Not actually SAFER, of course. Just EASIER. Talking about keeping hands on the control bar, staying prone, wheel landing is for girls.
The fact is that there is fundamentally no difference between turning at 50 feet or 500.
Or two feet. Or two inches. If you're not contacting the ground during the relevant time interval it makes no difference what your altitude is.
And the easiest way to control your landing point is with a well timed turn.
Yeah? Can you cite anything along that line from any u$hPa training materials or programs? When was the last time you heard anyone recommending a turn to help nail the old Frisbee in the middle of the LZ?
mario - 2017/01/04 00:20:16 UTC
The fact is that there is fundamentally no difference between turning at 50 feet or 500.
Really? I can think of many times when I think there is.
Oh, you can THINK of many times when you THINK there is. But you can't show us a video, cite an actual incident, describe a reasonable scenario to PROVE anything.
Safe speed can change a lot in my book, as I believe it does in yours.
Books that nobody's actually written or published so we'll just go by individual flyer BELIEF systems.
I also believe an excessively long approach can be dangerous.
Can we use this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=96rQkGSjLyg

as a modest example so we can drop all the crap about people's books, beliefs, opinions?
Hell, where I fly, that isn't even a possibility usually.
And please don't bother telling us where you fly so we can get some solid factual information.
So many variables from site to weather etc.
So can I put you down as being OK with adjusting our procedures in response to different environments and situations? Maybe even heavier aerotow weak links for heavier gliders?
If I can be so bold as to judge what I've seen of your landings, I think we would be in complete agreement on what a safe approach is.
One that ends at the Ed Levin LZ in Hang One conditions.
The problem I have with this discussion (which I promised myself I'd stay away from) is that there is in my mind a difference between acceptable norms when it comes to tandems compared to solo flight.
Bull fucking shit. Solo catastrophes ALWAYS have massive negative consequences for others beyond the primary victim, almost always cost a few other flyers flying opportunities they'll never get back, can and do get sites shut down temporarily and permanently. If something isn't acceptable for tandem it isn't acceptable for solo.
And the argument that one is good enough to pull off more radical maneuvers near the ground because they have successfully done it hundreds of times before, does not make it safe.
You mean like?:

http://forum.hanggliding.org/download/file.php?id=810
Cullom-landing-Sept2006.jpg

Notice that that's at the route of the overwhelming percentage of hang glider crashes, injuries, deaths and that tandems...

http://flymorningside.kittyhawk.com/adventures/tandem-hang-gliding-lessons/
Tandem Hang Gliding | Morningside Hang Gliding and Paragliding
As you approach the ground, your instructor eases the hang glider back onto the runway and rolls to a stop (similar to the landing of a conventional aircraft).
...never do them?
Please read Mike Myers'...
Meier's.
...well crafted piece.
Published in the magazine 1998/09 - nearly two decades ago. Solved all of our problems for us. Haven't heard a single syllable from him since. Talk about well crafted.

KSNV-CNN-1-1916-c
http://c2.staticflickr.com/6/5788/23461251751_e98b9c7500_o.png

Wills Wing tandem training glider shortly after the bodies of the Hang Five Tandem Instructor and his eleven year old Hang Zero student have been separated but seventeen and a half years before we wrote a well crafted article on Why We Couldn't Get A Handle On This Safety Thing so obviously there was never any need to bother with a further comment. And I imagine he sent complimentary copies of the article to all the members of the kid's extended family for good measure.
To be clear, I don't see anything wrong with your approaches for tandems or solo and I have never witnessed an unsafe landing approach with a tandem flight.
This one:

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8819/18267685796_64156e9c91_o.png

OK in your book?
I wasn't there to witness what the tandems were doing in Colorado...
WHAT tandems in Colorado? It was the ones in New Hampshire that he was talking about.
...so I cannot say whether I would think they were safe or not.
Since the absence of any evidence from the entire history of world hang gliding that they were the least bit dangerous is of no value to anyone.
I am just supporting anyone who calls someone on what they see as unsafe flying practices.
'Specially in support of anyone who calls some asshole advocating Tad-O-Links to trade off safety margin for convenience.
I never mind if anyone calls me on something, in fact, I appreciate it. I am not a sky god or a bird, and I always have something to learn or relearn.
Is that something you wanna hear from or about the guy in the cockpit of your Airbus? Fuck that mindset.
I have seen enough carnage in this sport over the 43yrs of being in or around it...
Invariably precipitated by guys like yourself who always had something to learn or relearn.
...and I would love it if I didn't have to see anymore-I just know that that is just a dream, as this is an unforgiving sport.
So keep on focusing on the stuff that's never been documented as the key factor as so much as a slightly bowed downtube and totally ignoring the kind of crap Quest keeps pulling that resulted in the sudden deaths of two professional pilots - one tandem aerotow instructor and the other a commercial airline pilot - in the space of a little over three years.

And also make sure not to say anything when Jack puts the Incident Reports subforum...

http://forum.hanggliding.org/viewforum.php?f=24
Incident Reports
You do not have the required permissions to read topics within this forum.
...off limits to anyone he isn't currently welcoming to his Living Room.

http://www.hanggliding.org/viewtopic.php?t=14312
Tow Park accidents
Jack Axaopoulos - 2009/11/12 14:49:58 UTC

gasdive,

One of the stated goals of this site is to promote HG. MOST views on this site are NOT from members but from visitors, they have no ignore button.

Having Tad run around every day giving the impression that there is a massive weekly slaughter of pilots at tow parks due to their horribly dangerous devices surely doesnt promote HG. Especially when the safety records are quite excellent.

Like Jim said, theyve gone a decade with no fatalities at their tow park. Pretty damn good I say.

Yet listening to Tad, you would think guys were dying all over the place
He's been nothing but misleading and negative and ignored multiple warnings from me. So He's GONE
We CERTAINLY don't want any of these prospective Morningside tandem students having access to actual information on actual glider incidents, crashes, injuries, fatalities. They're STUDENTS ferchrisake!
I also keep in mind that plenty of these accidents were with ultra qualified pilots.
Really? What were the ultra qualified to do and who ultra qualified them? Look at the top two tandem fatality incident as far as mainstream media exposure is concerned:
- 2012/04/28 - Jon Orders / Lenami Godinez-Avila
- 2015/03/27 - John Kelly Harrison / Arys Moorhead

Jon Orders had obviously never once in his career heard of a hook-in check. To this day has never acknowledged the existence of the procedure.

Name something that Kelly Harrison had an opportunity to fuck up but didn't.

We are not crashing, injuring, killing tandem "students" because ultra qualified professional pilots are having odd unpredictable lapses.
Do I want a nanny state?
Fuck no. We don't wanna having anybody adhering to the SOPs to which we agreed is conditions for obtaining our FAA Exemptions.
No.
Fuck no!

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8143/7462005802_bbc0ac66ac_o.jpg

Adhering to SOPs, running safe competent operations is for fags!
I'd just like to fly hang gliders until I can't physically do it anymore, because this is the ultimate flying as far as I'm concerned.
Worked for Zack Marzec.
I don't know about you, but I've pulled enough gliders and pilots back up from blown launches due to simple bad technique. I've also witnessed consistent marginal launches by people who had no idea that they were risking a stalled launch because that is how they have successfully launched a hundred times before.
http://flymorningside.kittyhawk.com/adventures/tandem-hang-gliding-lessons/
Tandem Hang Gliding | Morningside Hang Gliding and Paragliding

This hang glider is set up to safely take off and land on wheels so that no running is required. After you and the hang glider are hooked to a powered aircraft by a towline and other safety equipment, the fun begins. As the aircraft pulls the hang glider down the runway, you take to the air with the instructor on the controls.
No blown launches either - despite all the complexity that makes tow launching infinitely more dangerous than mountain foot launching. Go figure.
I've also seen pilots perform their last turn in life as they turned into final.
So how come we can't get an account of a single bonked landing at Morningside?
I have always believed in kindly pointing things out by giving constructive advice or asking someone that I felt would be better for the job to do it.
Me too. Tell us about all of the occasions on which those approaches have accomplished something.
I believe we should all look out for each other whether you like the person or not, and given the fragility of our insurance situation, it is that much more important -since now, an unnecessary tandem accident in CO can effect everyone else's freedom to soar.
Oh well, if it's in Colorado at least there's a good probability of one of those Rocky Mountain club total shits getting killed.
Wether you're a looper, a swooper or a tandem giver, I wish all a fantastic year of safe flying.
We're probably good for a while. Pretty much blew our fatality quota ten times over for 2015 - early 2016.
Time to watch Joey's vid again Image
Since we can't seem to find anything relevant to the discussion.
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

Jump to next post:
http://www.kitestrings.org/post10333.html#p10333

Low Turns to Final
Jason Boehm - 2017/01/04 01:09:47 UTC

the problem i have is we have NO IDEA what this landing looked like
was his wingtip near the ground when he was banked 60 degrees, or 5 degrees
was he doing 60 mph or 35
If he didn't touch the surface and landed smelling like a rose what difference does it make?
all weve got is it was "low" (completely subjective) and fast (also completely subjective
And fast is a bad thing - 'specially in combination with low.
hell its the internet, if there was video of it...
Hell, it's the internet. If there's no video of it didn't happen. I'm totally serious about that. We're in an age in which we have unbelievable access to information. For every issue Kite Strings deals with - all safety/competence stuff - we've got TONS of video/photographic illustration, evidence, proof.

25 participants, 99 posts in this thread and nobody can post a single video or photo worth shit in terms of relevance.
...there could still be an argument.
Like here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYe3YmdIQTM

Hang Two veterinary surgeon doesn't break his arm into four pieces 'cause his Rooney Link increased the safety of the towing operation. He broke his arm into four pieces 'cause he didn't properly prepare himself for, respond to his Rooney Link increasing the safety of the towing operation. Was never gonna be proper hang gliding material in the first place. Good thing it happened when it did - before he advanced enough into situations in which he could be SERIOUSLY injured or worse.
Telepilot - 2017/01/05 12:47:38 UTC

Jason, you seem to keep missing the point of this thread. It wasn't about ONE particular landing but rather a developing culture among a few tandem pilots at ONE facility (not in CO).
Yeah, these guys just keep pushing the envelope more and more as they continue to luck out of fatal crashes.
Suffice it to say, When several pilots are commenting on the low turns to final made by the tandems, there may be something Ascew.
Yeah, that's certainly sufficient enough for me. Just think how sufficient it would be with conventional capitalization and spelling.
(I'm talking virtually no final leg on the several approaches I witnessed.)
Anybody remember what always happened when several pilots would comment on the absolute insanity of using the standard aerotow weak link as the focal point of the safe towing system after life altering, career ending incidents like?:

http://www.hanggliding.org/viewtopic.php?t=18777
Accident - Broken Jaw - Full Face HG Helmet
Keith Skiles - 2010/08/28 05:20:01 UTC

Last year, at LMFP I saw an incident in aerotow that resulted in a very significant impact with the ground on the chest and face. Resulted in a jaw broken in several places and IIRC some tears in the shoulder.
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TTTFlymail/message/11545
Cart stuck incidents
Keith Skiles - 2011/06/02 19:50:13 UTC

I witnessed the one at Lookout. It was pretty ugly. Low angle of attack, too much speed and flew off the cart like a rocket until the weak link broke, she stalled and it turned back towards the ground.
And exactly where are we with that today? What are we now using for aerotow weak links and what are we using them for?
Mario naied it in his last post. There should be a different set of standards for tandem ops than for solos.
Fuck mario.
Especially when it comes to our insurance.
u$hPa didn't get cut loose for anything remotely related to Low Turns to Final. They looked at the REAL STUFF.

http://www.hanggliding.org/viewtopic.php?t=32673
This is terrible
Dave Pendzick - 2015/03/30 17:42:41 UTC

This is not going to end well for us...
Everybody knows it, no surprises. And u$hPa's pathetic, sleazy, ass covering response was a whitewash effort executed by portraying all the relevant equipment and procedures as "typical". You motherfuckers finally got exactly what you deserved.
Replace the "landing approaches" in this thread for " aerobatics". Would that be acceptable? Even if it were Ryan flying as the tandem pilot ? Just a question to ponder.
THIS:

http://forum.hanggliding.org/download/file.php?id=810
Cullom-landing-Sept2006.jpg

is aerobatics. Fifty fuckin' degrees up beyond placarded positive pitch limitation. These tandems are staying within specs from the time they start rolling on the runway for takeoff till the time they stop for landing. They're not violating any FAA regulations or u$hPa SOPs - other than using the tandem exemption to sell thrill rides to bucket listers, of course. Leave them the fuck alone and find something real - like just about anything else - to worry about.
Ryan Voight - 2017/01/05 14:16:45 UTC

Aerobatics, tandem? That would involve exceeding manufacturer recommendations for the equipment, as well as (likely) exceeding placarded limitations as well.
Or, stated another way... That would involve exceeding manufacturer placarded limitations for the equipment as well as (likely) exceeding manufacturer placarded limitations as well.
Pretty cut-and-dry there... and in that example...
Or in this:

17-3720
http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3801/14082628887_46510ef2bf_o.png

example.
...it's WAY less about the actual risk, and almost entirely about the legal exposure. That example makes it- in a court of law anyway- pretty hard to defend the pilot's actions that go directly against clear manufacturer standards.
Just get Trisa to publish a fourteen page article in the magazine explaining why bank and pitch attitudes can't be measured in any meaningful way for any glider actually airborne - or not.
Your example, it's a judgement call.

What I am a little confused about, is you telling Jason he still doesn't get it...
Actually, pretty hard to go wrong on that score.
...when your original post was asking... *ASKING*... if this is a problem. Your response above sounds like you have made up your mind, regardless of what people are saying... so why even ask, if you're sure it's unacceptable already? And, if it was so clearly egregious... then you have a responsibility to go talk to the pilots on the spot.
That in the SOPs somewhere, Ryan?
Since you were asking, and you didn't go talk to them immediately, there's a pretty loud implication that what you saw WASN'T definitively unacceptable, and therefore comes down to subjective opinion. And when it's that, IMHO, the greatest differentiating factor is the pilot- knowledge, skill, experience, mindset, mental status at that moment, etc etc
And it's not like anyone would ever have any reason to fear any measure of retaliation for taking a stand critical of any u$hPa tandem thrill ride operation, right Ryan?
Jason Boehm - 2017/01/06 00:34:52 UTC

are we talking about like this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XC4pRcFDQjY
Yeah Jason. That's a TOTALLY AWESOME example of what we're talking about. Great job finding it.
NMERider - 2017/01/06 03:19:05 UTC

That's a sweet looking landing if you ask me. Image
What? Prone? On the wheels? Not in a narrow dry riverbed with large rocks strewn all over the place?
George Longshore - 2017/01/06 08:21:02 UTC

That was a safe approach and well executed landing. Last turn into the field was above 50 ft.
Doin' things right. Graduates from that training program will be prepared for ANYTHING this sport can throw at them - once they've mastered their spot no steppers anyway.
Where would that video have been in the neighborhood of 'low turns to final'?
Right at the acceptable edge.
I must be missing something.
Name some people on this thread who aren't.
If I was that tandem pilot and someone approached me after the flight and said I was being reckless or endangering, I would have patiently listened to them and then continued to do those safe and controlled landing approaches.
Guess that was just the way Niki was prepared...

http://ozreport.com/1498054348
Dinosaur 2017
Davis Straub - 2017/06/21 11:12:28 UTC
Dinosaur 2017

Niki Longshore launching from Dinosaur

Photo by Mike Degtoff.

Niki decided to stop flying in the Dinosaur 2017 after having landing troubles. While she didn't break anything, there was one free flying pilot with a broken arm and a competitor with a chipped elbow so far on the first three days.
...for real world approaches and landings.
There was no low turn to final on that video
And:
- no period at the end of that sentence.
- what more could we possibly have to worry about.
George Longshore - 2017/01/06 08:26:41 UTC

Also didn't see any maneuvers which would exceed the placards or over stress the equipment.
Good eye, George.
The 360 to lose altitude was not...
A 360 to lose altitude. It was a 360 to maintain position to go into the pattern.
...overly high banked, and the pilot was not hotdogging or doing wingovers to impress the ground spectators.
And the "student" wasn't learning shit about the capabilities of the glider.
Looked like he was providing a safe and enjoyable experience for a potential future pilot...
Yeah, right.
...and setting a good example to any neophytes on the ground
And:
- don't bother putting a period at the end of THAT sentence EITHER.
- helping to continue the proud tradition of aeronautical excellence we see in the sport today.
Bill Jennings - 2017/01/06 12:59:18 UTC

Looked like the standard downwind to final turn for that field. They train the new guys to make the turn at 2x tree height, and that's what that looked like to me.
Two times tree height. Works really great in that field...

http://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4309/35947543512_536c23cfac_o.png

...don't it? And why would anyone ever wanna land in anything smaller?

05-2704c
http://c2.staticflickr.com/2/1525/26167489042_9f5e5af537_o.png
Telepilot - 2017/01/07 02:18:55 UTC

That looked like a nice stable approach to me too. Not at all a low turn to final.
End of discussion. Problem solved. Or not. No way to tell - 'cept we continue to have zero evidence of any relevant problems.

And notice the conspicuous absence of any participation from anybody at Morningside.

01-0001
http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5610/15517297799_15c3437578_o.png
02-1228
http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3940/15517777168_cc124ac594_o.png
03-1703
http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5606/15518351500_8d9b474a65_o.png
04-1817
http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3956/15083816823_06a6ea6c34_o.png
05-1928
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7486/15517296939_114b538a97_o.png
06-2114
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7532/15704755632_88341e6914_o.png
08-2328
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7498/15517775948_dcc7c5a652_o.png
14-2718
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7556/15083814633_2ee0a441b4_o.png
17-2925
http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3946/15518349170_7364cf6b39_o.png
21-3202
http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5613/15679437046_8ebce6ffc6_o.png
22-3207
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7484/15518347950_faced98e8f_o.png
24-3310
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8129/15703165085_3e89751835_o.png
27-3509
http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5597/15703164475_348903ed84_o.png
43-3916
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7547/15703163395_ddd8865d11_o.png

Lockout Mountain Flight Park textbook:
- not a trace of anything that could be considered a low turn to final
- set on final at twice treetop or better
- no hot-dogging to impress the ground spectators
- hands transferred to shoulder height where he can't control the glider
- glider comes to a nice crisp stop at the end of 300 yard final
- pilot unclips and walks away without a scratch

Proven system that works. There's one operation at which we sure don't need to fix things that aren't broken.
David Sparks - Tennessee - 89058 - H2 - 2009/10/09 - Gordon Cayce - FL CL FSL
Jump to top:
http://www.kitestrings.org/post10332.html#p10332
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

http://ozreport.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=49667
Ron Keinan

Need to do a project on this one.
Davis Straub - 2016/09/19 14:55:13 UTC

In the hospital
Tad-O-Link...

http://ozreport.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=24846
Is this a joke ?
Jim Rooney - 2011/08/31 09:25:57 UTC

Only later, when we're visiting them in the hospital can they begin to hear what we've told them all along.
...right?
Oh look. He can stand up, use his arm, smile...
Frankly it is not sustainable to have people keep getting hurt in competition.
Frankly, with total fucking assholes such as yourself tolerated in and controlling it, the sport's not sustainable.
Davis Straub - 2016/09/19 21:09:15 UTC

BTW, there was a comment that his popular helmet contained no crushable foam.
Yeah. Better helmets. That's the ticket. Also:
- more:
-- easily reachable releases
-- landing clinics
- safer weak links
NMERider - 2016/09/19 23:13:54 UTC

I'll tell you how I'd feel if pilots kept getting seriously injured or killed at the comp I ran Davis--I'd shut it all down. Maybe it's time to close the books on U.S hang gliding comps.
Or, failing that, just shoot Davis.
Kinsley Sykes - 2016/09/19 23:49:01 UTC

I thoroughly enjoy flying in the US comps that Belinda, Davis and Jamie run and never have felt like I'm at greater risk flying in them.
Think how much risk you'd feel at without Belinda, Davis, and Jamie telling you what tow equipment you can and can't use.
Davis Straub - 2016/09/20 01:45:44 UTC

Live tracking did help quite a bit with Ron.
After he was vegged and unable to use his iPhone.
The task committee put the pilots in a dangerous area.
One that actually required actual RLF and XC skills.
I stated this at the pilot meeting. The safety committee didn't over rule the task committee.
Why should they have?

http://ozreport.com/18.106
2014 East Coast Championship
Davis Straub - 2014/06/02 22:39:55 UTC

As we waited there John Claytor launched and crashed as his upwind wing came up and spun him around.
Two of the safety committee members (Greg and Jim) got together and recommended that launch be suspended.
No one had had a career ending crash at that point.
I didn't state my concerns loudly enough.
The way you would've if somebody had arrived at the beginning of the launch line with a straight pin barrel release and/or Tad-O-Link.
The four other accidents this year in competition were aided by competition attitudes.
Solution... Eliminate competition attitudes.
So all five accidents in the five US based competitions were aided by pilot decisions that were influenced by pilot desires to be competitive.
Wow, that really narrows it down for us Davis. And it certainly tells us what was going on with Ron at the critical time frame when he was stretching his glide beyond Happy Acres putting greens because of his desire to be competitive.
NMERider - 2016/09/20 01:59:50 UTC

Thank you. This is precisely what I wanted to know about.
Real quality information. Davis Show. How could we expect anything less?
Would it attract more pilots if the tasks avoided areas of tiger country and offered more friendly landing options?
Compared to all the LA Basin crap in which you land all the fuckin' time this whole chunk of the state was Mister Rogers' Neighborhood.
Davis Straub - 2016/09/20 05:07:20 UTC

I've asked the competition organizer to remove the dangerous way point.

The other competitions did not include such way points.
Sylmar, Whitewater, Hyner... Flyers who would've been qualified for your comps have died at the primary LZs for those sites. And Yoko Isomoto managed to clip a tree and partially kill herself at the edge of an infinite ideal field not far out of Quest several months before Ron. Tell me how you determine what's a dangerous waypoint.
Greg Angsten - 2016/09/20 15:18:57 UTC

Were there any witnesses to the crash?
If there had been why would live tracking have helped quite a bit?
I take it that he went down in an unlandable area?
Certainly for him. And for hang gliding in general pretty much anything you wanna name is an unlandable area.
Davis Straub - 2016/09/20 18:09:52 UTC

Landable, but not many options. Too many trees nearby.
Yeah...

http://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4296/35358799683_d5808e5b05_o.png

Real jungle out there. Really gotta watch out for those nearby trees.

http://vimeo.com/226578935
][/url]
John Simon was flying with him and had a difficult landing area.
He'll undoubtedly do better next time.
NMERider

Post by NMERider »

Tad Eareckson wrote:....Real jungle out there. Really gotta watch out for those nearby trees...
Better to land in the shoulder-high chaparral and risk breaking a downtube than slalom around trees for a graded lot and break something else.

It's not like there's any money in comps other than transpiration subsidies for the few who make the world team. So why be a hero? It's a largely pointless activity that few even care about. In the past 20 years have any pilots even gotten laid by virtue of being a hang glider pilot to wow an interested partner? I'm thrilled if the land owner doesn't call the sheriff and have me cited for trespass. That's about as heroic as it gets for me. An offer of a cold one even if it's a can of soda is a major accomplishment.
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

Thanks zillions for those photos / that link, Jonathan. Huge help in understanding this one.

http://www.azfamily.com/story/33129485/pilot-recovering-after-hang-glider-crash-near-maricopa
Pilot recovering after hang glider crash near Maricopa - 3TV | CBS 5
MARICOPA, AZ (3TV/CBS 5) - 2016/09/19 16:38 UTC

The pilot of a non-motorized hang glider is recovering from a crash south of the town of Maricopa.
The pilot has been identified as Ron Keinan, 45, of California.
Keinan sustained head injuries when his glider crashed for unknown reasons on Friday. The crash site was northwest of the intersection of Sotol Road and White Dove Trail.
The National Transportation Safety Board is conducting the crash investigation.

32°52'36.1" N 112°08'34.0" W
And one more picture:

Which gives us a good view (telephoto - shrunken depth/distance) of the powerline running north on the east edge of the field.

Wow, really hard to reconcile those photos with what I've been looking at on Google Earth by way of:

http://airtribune.com/play/1944/2d
Task 5 - 101 km - Race to goal | Day 6 | Santa Cruz Flats Race - Mark Knight Memorial 2016 | Airtribune

Those really ARE significant trees. Looks like sparse moderately insignificant scrub from above. (I'd apologize to Davis but he's Davis and fuck him anyway.)

This is late afternoon six days shy of the autumnal equinox so the sun is nearly / a wee bit south of straight west. Check out shadows accordingly.

Glider looks pristine. Check out the nice straight downtubes shadows. Most of the impact must've been absorbed by something else. And that's undoubtedly White Dove Trail (running diagonally to the north) across which the glider's shadow is being cast.

My Google Earth shot above is centered on that impact point:
32°52'40.06" N 112°08'32.11" W

Here's the field - rotated ninety degrees clockwise / to north right for a better page fit:

http://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4322/36174358205_642ab63e82_o.png

- It's what John describes as the "primary", stands out even in the high shot:
http://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4296/35358799683_d5808e5b05_o.png
(31062 feet), would be the pick of the litter in a low glide out from the hills and probably after a luxurious survey from a comfortable altitude.

- Powerlines on the south side of West Sotol Road and, from those, up north along the east edge of the field (and on the west edge of a drive just beyond.

- Fence east/west definitively limiting the northernmost tip of the field.

- A draw crosses White Dove Trail diagonally to the NNE and defines a border between the northern area of the field on its right and dense scrub on its left.

- Field length - south/north from powerlines to fence - 720 feet. A diagonal gives you more but there are three deal-breaker trees unfortunately situated along the optimal path.

- Fifteen foot drop in elevation from the SouthWest corner and northern tip.

- Width of southern rectangular area between White Dove Trail and powerlines - a bit over three hundred feet. But closer to West Sotol Road the approach from the relevant west appears nicely unobstructed.

- The ENE wind which John describes as being the deal-breaker in his decision for go for this field, his optimal choice, would've been advantageous here on final. Let's call it three to five on the surface.

Ron's approach from Airtribune:

local time - meters - feet
16:28:48 - 519 - 1703 - crossing North Sotol Road on north heading just east of field
16:28:57 - 507 - 1663 - begins turn to cross north end of field on NW heading
16:29:04 - 501 - 1644 - exits west edge of field near north end
16:29:06 - 498 - 1634 - turns to SW
16:29:08 - 495 - 1624 - crosses White Dove Trail (which defines west edge of field 80 yards to the south
16:29:09 - 494 - 1621 - south heading over west edge of White Dove Trail
16:29:11 - 493 - 1617 - makes slight east adjustment
16:29:13 - 492 - 1614 - glider goes into stationary mode (along with what's left of Ron's brain)

Resting point reads a couple dozen feet higher than what Google Earth shows but let's standardize on these figures.

From the first to last of these records we're looking at an 89 foot descent over a 25 second timespan. Descent rate over period - 214 fps. And that's with a heading change of beyond 180 degrees. So we're obviously not talking about someone approaching with any maneuvering speed worth mentioning at any point.
Better to land in the shoulder-high chaparral and risk breaking a downtube than slalom around trees for a graded lot and break something else.
That's not what happened. He pushed for the graded lot, arrived at under a hundred feet, SQUANDERED what little altitude he had to spare boxing the graded lot, found himself out of altitude, airspeed, and ideas 125 yards short of where he would've needed to have been to whip it around for an optimal Low Turn to Final.

Meanwhile, less than 0.4 miles to the SSW John lands smelling like a rose in crappy scrub - 32°52'20.28" N 112°08'39.66" W - seventeen seconds later.

And thanks bigtime, National Transportation Safety Board, for conducting the crash investigation and providing us with such valuable findings - once again.

Fun facts...

- Ron's impact point is 26 miles SSE of where Bob Buxton got HIS brain catastrophically mushed a little under four years prior on 2012/10/04 truck towing...

038-05009
http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3689/13745951103_e238b1804a_o.png

...on West Patterson Road and 15 miles SSW of where Mark You-Have-No-Idea-What-Happened Knight made a rookie mistake under duress and extremely low on his Dragonfly at Ak-Chin/Phoenix Regional eight months before Bob on 2014/02/24.

- Seriously vegged for life but both pilot and glider fared way better than Zack Marzec and his did responding to the increase in the safety of the towing operation that his Quavis Link afforded him on 2013/02/02.