landing

General discussion about the sport of hang gliding
Tad Eareckson

Re: landing

Post by Tad Eareckson »

<BS> - 2017/07/13 14:41:28 UTC

Ron Keinan
http://www.shga.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=5373
Yeah, I'd known about it, followed the recovery reports. Then it faded and I couldn't connect the dots. So not also Quest. (Found something from Davis indicating another medevac from that neck of the woods.)

http://www.shga.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=5373
Ron Keinan
Phill Bloom - 2016/09/19 15:56:28 UTC

I just returned from SCFR with bad news. Ron is in the hospital at Maricopa County Regional Az. He is in a coma. He is stable with no more swelling of the brain. He did react to pain (pinching), and that is a good sign.
His wife Denise and brother are there. The surgeon said that it is now a waiting game, with no idea of how long or how bad the situation is.
I would post Denise's number but I want to talk to her first, if she wants the calls or not.
Ron was attempting to land out in a restricted LZ with 15' to 20' trees around it. It appears that he did not clear the trees and was pulled to the ground after clipping the top of tree with the base tube?
Ron was found by a neighbor and two other pilot's drivers. They were driving by to pick up their pilots that landed near by, about 1 block away. After approx. 15 min. after the accident.
He was air lifted and at the hospital in about 1hour.
I will post any updates I receive to keep everyone informed.
BTW Chippy is getting his Gull Blatter removed to day.
And:

http://ozreport.com/20.188
Ron Keinan
Davis Straub - 2016/09/19 15:55:13 UTC

In the hospital

Frankly it is not sustainable to have people keep getting hurt in competition.
And:

http://ozreport.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=49667
Ron Keinan
John Simon - 2016/09/20 19:50:38 UTC

40 minutes later, hearing the sirens I ran up to his landing site and Larry and Heather had been there for 10 minutes or more (they were in a vehicle coming to retrieve me). It appeared he clipped a tree on approach, the LZ was indeed a nice one, completely devoid of obstacles excepting the low trees on the sides. It was not super big though and would require a good approach.

The wind had hurt our glides and we hadn't planned well enough. There were reasonable alternatives, although none were wide open like the primary and all would require a good approach. The weather was generally turbulence free so it was not too worrisome.

Ron was slightly closer to the clean LZ and that is likely why he continued. Not sure why he clipped the tree. I arrived at less than 300' at my LZ.
Greg Kendall - 2016/09/28 05:48:17 UTC

I'd just like to point out that there's a big difference between landing practice and out-landing practice. I looked at Ron's LZ. It's tight because there are power lines on two sides and trees on the remainder. Ron is an experienced XC and competition pilot. Hopefully we'll get the whole story when he wakes up, but I suspect he cut it close to the trees because he was worried about overshooting into the power lines. Leaving the hills low and heading for a collection of previously unseen, marginal LZs results in a lot of decision making. The practice that one gets from a scooter tow (while valuable) is only a fraction of what is needed to consistently make safe out-landings.
Needs another book but the Cliff Notes... Inability to safely execute an RLF approach / Low Turns to Final. PERIOD. Fuckin' Three level Special Skill that any Solid 2.5 should be able to pull off in his sleep.
NMERider - 2017/07/13 21:09:54 UTC

I think I tripped and fractured my big toe here.
Yeah. 2010/08/23.
A lot of pilots have eaten it here in the Big-T Wash.
Obvious solution - more Shipley/Voight/Rooney landing clinics.
This is LA Basin X/C reality. Sylmar has now proven itself to be a better PG X/C site with few HGs who venture out much.
The Darwin model at work.
Considering the typical HG pilot is ~60 years old...
Because our instructor base (not being in the safety business) keeps killing off the new guys at an unsustainable rate.
...while the PG pilots are in their 30s, the deck is stacked in their favor on most X/C days.
Bet they also fly with...

http://ozreport.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=24846
Is this a joke ?
Jim Rooney - 2011/08/28 10:40:24 UTC

Is a weaklink going to save your ass? Who knows? But it's nice to stack the deck in your favour.
...extra safe weak links.
This is reality as opposed to the make-believe spewed out by the 'killers' of this sport.
"Killers" doesn't need any punctuation marks. An adjective maybe. "Serial" would be my pick.

Great smoking gun post.

- I'd conservatively estimate that 100.0 percent of Hang 1-2 instruction (read 100.0 percent of all hang gliding instruction) is dedicated to preparing students (training at the same Happy Acres putting greens at which 100.0 percent of all flyers at all levels execute 100.0 percent of their landings) to land in the twenty foot diameter safe spots always found centered in narrow dry riverbeds with large rocks strewn all over the place.

- Zero percent of these instructors have ever actually flown XC. (Somebody post a video to prove otherwise.)

- Of that zero percent of instructors who have ever flown XC -10 percent have ever landed in a narrow dry riverbed with large rocks strewn all over the place.

- The techniques they teach for landing in the twenty foot diameter safe spots always found centered in narrow dry riverbeds with large rocks strewn all over the place are all the absolute last things one should do when actually landing in the twenty foot diameter safe spots always found centered in narrow dry riverbeds with large rocks strewn all over the place.

- The ~60 year old pilots who represent 99 percent of our actual participant base are executing 100.0 percent of their landings in Happy Acres putting green - and routinely breaking arms and dislocating shoulders attempting to perfect the landing techniques which are the absolute last ones anyone would use when actually landing in the twenty foot diameter safe spots always found centered in narrow dry riverbeds with large rocks strewn all over the place.
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

http://www.hanggliding.org/viewtopic.php?t=34985
Low Turns to Final
Dave Pendzick - 2016/12/30 19:29:28 UTC

I recall the scene...
...but as far as its significance goes, no I don't know.
Sure ya do:

http://www.hanggliding.org/viewtopic.php?t=32673
This is terrible
Dave Pendzick - 2015/03/30 17:42:41 UTC

This is not going to end well for us...
You don't get to murder a cute little eleven year old kid in front of his family and make national news and expect there to be no consequences. This ain't rocket science.
Correct me if I am wrong...
Why don't we cut the workload down from astronomical to minimal and just point out the stuff you get right?
...but USHPA will not disclose any details of the events that transpired after that accident.
Get fucked. u$hPa buried it to the maximum extent possible but Team Kite Strings pulled everything out into public view and debunked, investigated, expanded the crap outta everything.

http://www.kitestrings.org/topic84.html
2015/03/27 Jean Lake crash

Fuck you if you can't be bothered to lift a goddam finger to find out anything about the single most catastrophic crash in the entire world history of the sport.
Did we get sued? Was there a claim? If not, then that photo has no significance other than to remind others to not be careless & to always carry a hook knife.
I don't know how to take that statement. Astronomical cluelessness or stupid inappropriate sarcasm.
Jean Dry Lakebed Accident Report and Analysis

2015/05/11

Although the tandem instructor had a hook knife in a sheath on the right downtube next to the flight instrument, no effort was made to obtain the knife.
Right there within the easiest possible reach.

Meanwhile, back in reality... Unlimited opportunity to get his parachute out. He might have ended up with a bruised knee and the kid would've walked away smelling like a rose.
NMERider - 2016/12/30 20:34:52 UTC

USHPA published a thorough and detailed factual account of the accident and every contributing factor.
u$hPa hasn't published a thorough and detailed factual account of ANYTHING within the memory of 95 percent of today's participants. Motherfuckers wouldn't even DESCRIBE the configuration he used to fuck up his two-string connection - let alone show us a photo. Totally contemptable - not to mention totally contemptuous.
This was John Kelly Harrison, an experienced pilot/instructor from Kamuela, and 11-year-old Arys Morehead,
Moorhead. At least spell the poor little kid's name right.
...passenger.
STUDENT. Read the report. It's illegal to take passengers up for commercial thrill rides. (A bit odd that there doesn't seem to be anything in the thorough and detailed factual account of the accident about the effects of the student's control inputs at any point, dontchya think?)
This accident...
This WHAT?
...was clearly the last straw for our liability carrier and obviously what lead to our becoming self-insured.
Toldyaso, Bob.
It's not okay for any USHPA-insured tandem pilot to engage in any activity with a passenger that may needlessly lead to a claim on our self-insurance.
But he didn't. All his actions and equipment choices were "typical". This wasn't reckless stuff like Low Turns to Final - this was just a few issues concerning risk mitigation.
Your flippant statements regarding this accident are sad to say the least.
To say the least.
Note the great job Ron Peck does concealing the pain he's feeling over the death of the kid and blow to his family.
NMERider - 2016/12/30 20:46:52 UTC

In case anyone was wondering whether we can be sued for the negligence of a tandem pilot, here is a personal injury law firm using the above-referenced accident in order to advertise is services:

http://bernsteinslaw.com/pilot-and-child-killed-in-hang-gliding-accident/
Pilot and Child Killed in Hang Gliding Accident
Jack Bernstein

Fatal Sporting Accidents and Liability Waivers

Many sports that are considered extreme or dangerous require participants to sign a waiver in order to participate. When accidents happen, victims may believe that these waivers bar them from suing for damages. In many cases, this is not true; in fact, some victims are able to recover large amounts of compensation, even after signing a waiver of liability.

What, then, does the waiver do? In one sense, it is a psychological trick to make people believe that they cannot collect damages when they suffer injuries while participating in extreme sports and other activities. However, there is some legal value to the waiver as well. By putting participants on notice and requiring their signatures, event coordinators are able to show, if an accident does happen, that the participant was aware of the risks.

However, if the company that organizes the event, the instructor or someone else closely involved with the sport fails to take reasonable precautions to prevent injury to the participants, the waiver may not have any effect on the participant's legal rights. It is one thing to acknowledge that you understand an activity may be be risky; it is another to be put directly in harm's way by the actions of another person.

Furthermore, if the equipment involved in the activity is defective in its design or manufacture, the company that made it may also be liable.
But not if the equipment is "typical". It's the homemade, experimental, Rube Goldberg, short track record, test pilot stuff that really opens us up to liability issues.
Telepilot - 2016/12/31 02:53:28 UTC

AIRTHUG,
While Your Risk-Management siminar...
Scimitar.
...was quite enlightening, I believe it misses the main point of this thread. As the OP, I wanted to see if others thought it appropriate for Tandem Pilots to expose the...
...to date totally undocumented...
...risks of low turns to final to their passengers.
Their what's? There's absolutely NOTHING in the way of regulations or SOPs prohibiting Low Turns to Final - and there's a u$hPa Special Skill which REQUIRES them - in substantial excess of what makes you cringe watching the videos and, presumably, actual flights. But flying passengers is prohibited in no uncertain terms and a serious breech of u$hPa's Exemption.

Lightbulb...
The United States Hang Gliding and Paragliding Association, Inc. - 2016/10/22
Standard Operating Procedure
12. Rating System
02. Pilot Proficiency System
11. Hang Gliding Special Skill Endorsements
-A. Special Skills attainable by Novice
05. Aerotow

-f. The candidate must also demonstrate the ability to properly react to a weak link/tow rope break simulation with a tandem rated pilot, initiated by the tandem pilot at altitude, but at a lower than normal release altitude. Such demonstrations should be made in smooth air.
But:
-B. Special Skills attainable by Intermediate and above (H3-H5).

03. Restricted Landing Field (RLF):

-a. Demonstrates a landing using a downwind leg, base leg and a final leg approach where the entire base leg, final and landing occur within a 300' square.
Not the slightest HINT of a caution about altitude or air choppiness - as per what they have concerning the minor inconvenience which increases the safety of the towing operation. And they couldn't if they wanted to 'cause the idea is for an emergency landing in XC conditions.
In your comments, you suggest that there is a risk -reward in the decision making process. That's ok for solo pilots but I say BS to that when there is a passenger involved.
1. Oh. YOU say. So we just won't bother with looking for actual SOPs; takes from the tandem drivers who are all more experienced, qualified than you are; evidence that we have anything in the way of a problem.

2. "Passenger".
What is the reward to the passenger of a fast, wing tip scraping turn to final?
1. THIS:

29-51219
http://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4208/35430901810_c2d89e7a70_o.png

makes you cringe, btw. So you are obviously NOT watching any wing tip scraping turns real time.

Here's some ACTUAL wing scraping activity:

111-220305
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8689/17017690128_9584e79846_o.png
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8700/17205433495_ea31ccab99_o.png
113-220710

Let's make sure we go all Bob Show on this one too.
Not crashing? As George and others point out, our RRG can't suffer this type of risk.
But THIS:

33-030202

is perfectly OK - magic fishing line that breaks whenever you...

45-040026

...start locking out a little. And:

61-082304
http://c1.staticflickr.com/9/8509/29375786436_6ca70eec0a_o.png
71-082314
http://c2.staticflickr.com/8/7749/29330637841_178e4a8dc4_o.png
82-082325
http://c1.staticflickr.com/9/8355/29330633301_2bdd931ac3_o.png

top notch Industry Standard equipment. You wouldn't have a fucking clue what ACTUAL risk was if it swam up and bit you in the ass.
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

Low Turns to Final
Ryan Voight - 2016/12/31 06:18:33 UTC
Telepilot - 2016/12/31 02:53:28 UTC

While Your Risk-Management siminar was quite enlightening...
Dude. Not sure if you didn't read what I wrote... or perhaps I just didn't do a good enough job connecting the dots- if it was me, I certainly apologize! Always working toward being a better edJucator Image
I suggest not having a fuckin' clue with respect to the physics of hang glider control and treating your target audience with total contempt.
Part 1: It's not really valid for YOU to assess how much risk is involved in what another pilot is doing...
Fuck no. Only the individual actually flying the plane is capable of assessing actual risk. Fundamental rule of aeronautics. Unless it's Brad Geary...

066-165709
http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5322/17179497616_0179da467e_o.png
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8727/16997998127_0dca5b840e_c.jpg
073-173220

...violating zero FAA regulations and u$hPa SOPs. Then it's perfectly OK for a bunch of nonpilot lawyers to permanently revoke all his instructor and tandem ratings.
...because you don't know what their capabilities are, what their experience is, or what careful risk calculation has taken place within their melon.
And his capabilities and experience may very well exceed his aircraft's capabilities.
What is one man's crazy dangerous rad sick gnarly stunt, just might be another's bread-and-butter snooze-fest done-it-a-million-times kind of thing.
Bull fucking shit, motherfucker. You show me a video of ANYTHING ANYBODY's doing with a glider that isn't OBVIOUSLY safe, marginal, a lucky dice roll. As far as I'm concerned, anybody incapable of making assessments on anything they see should never have been graduated from the training hill. And that most assuredly applies to Telepilot.
Further still... A BUNCH OF NETMONKEYS...
Notice the pattern...
Towing Aloft - 1998/01

Unfortunately, releases are items that many pilots feel they can make at home or adapt from something they have seen at the hardware store. Two fatalities have occurred in the past 5 years directly related to failures of very poorly constructed and maintained releases. For the sake of safety, only use releases that have been designed and extensively tested by reputable manufacturers. Listed below are various types of releases available with their attributes and applications.
Is this a joke ?
Jim Rooney - 2011/08/25 04:55:25 UTC

Ditto dude.

It always amazes to hear know it all pilots arguing with the professional pilots.
I mean seriously, this is our job.
We do more tows in a day than they do in a month (year for most).

We *might* have an idea of how this stuff works.
They *might* do well to listen.
Not that they will, mind you... cuz they *know*.

I mean seriously... ridgerodent's going to inform me as to what Kroop has to say on this? Seriously? Steve's a good friend of mine. I've worked at Quest with him. We've had this discussion ... IN PERSON. And many other ones that get misunderstood by the general public. It's laughable.

Don't even get me started on Tad. That obnoxious blow hard has gotten himself banned from every flying site that he used to visit... he doesn't fly anymore... because he has no where to fly. His theories were annoying at best and downright dangerous most of the time. Good riddance.

So, argue all you like.
I don't care.
I've been through all these arguments a million times... this is my job.
I could be more political about it, but screw it... I'm not in the mood to put up with tender sensibilities... Some weekend warrior isn't about to inform me about jack sh*t when it comes to towing. I've got thousands upon thousands of tows under my belt. I don't know everything, but I'll wager the house that I've got it sussed a bit better than an armchair warrior.
All these fake instructors reveling in their contempt for the sport's mainstream participants.

http://www.wallaby.com/aerotow_primer.php
Aerotow Primer for Experienced Pilots
The Wallaby Ranch Aerotowing Primer for Experienced Pilots - 2017/07/18

Welcome to Wallaby Ranch, the first and largest Aerotow Hang Gliding Flight Park in the World! We're the aerotowing (or "AT") professionals; no-one knows AT like we do...
Also totally incapable of mentoring anybody to their lofty standards of competence to the point that they themselves become redundant.
...SURELY CAN'T MAKE THAT ASSESSMENT WITH SO MUCH AS A MINIMAL TEXTUAL DESCRIPTION OF YOUR OBSERVATION(S).
They're just a bunch of netmonkeys. How could a minimal textual description of his observation(s) possibly make any difference anyway?
"I wanted to see if others thought..." WE CAN'T SEE THEM DOING IT!!!! Nevermind can we- or even you, who's at least present there, know what the pilot knows.

Maybe they *ARE* being batshit reckless. Who knows?!?!
I do. They're obviously doing it all the fuckin' time at lotsa different thrill ride operations. If they *WERE* being batshit reckless there *WOULD* have been serious crashes - and we *WOULD* have heard about them.
The ninnynetters sure don't!!!!!!!
Suck my dick, Ryan.
Part 2: You don't get to call BS on the risk vs reward balance when a tandem passenger is involved. Hopefully this isn't news to you, but THERE IS RISK IN HANG GLIDING. If Uncle Joe Schmoe decided he'd like to take a tandem flight for his birfday...
Or as a first boy/girl-friend anniversary present:

(on Jon Orders' fiftieth birfday).
...he chose the reward of taking that flight and accepted the risk in order to do it. Shit, he even signed a waiver acknowledging that he accepted the risk! Now- I think what you may have really meant to say is that, Uncle Joe is not experienced or educated enough to choose how the risks of the flight are accepted/mitigated/avoided... so he may or may not prefer a long straight "boring" final approach...
Just get a Ron Keinan or Tev Carrillos to liven things up a bit.
...or he may not... but it's sure damn unpractical for the pilot-in-command to run through each potential decision's pro's and con's for the trillions of in-flight decisions that must occur during even the most uneventful of flights.
Yeah Ryan - trillions. Makes rocket science look like kindergarten stuff.
So... did Uncle Joe Schmoe sign on for low turns? Well... he chose to fly with Buck Yahoo the tandem diver... so whether it was a conscious and intentional choice or not, he chose to give the pilot-in-command the power to make the flight decisions for the both of them. If he knew more, would he possibly ask that tandem pilot to fly differently? Maybe (or maybe not). Again, this can not be answered by consulting with an appliance connected to a cable that, in a very meandering way, is connected to a bunch of other appliances, with other meat sacks like me pushing buttons to formulate some resemblance of a response to your unanswerable question.
http://www.hanggliding.org/viewtopic.php?t=34277
"evidence of that silliness"
Ryan Voight - 2016/04/21 20:53:49 UTC

Why should it seem unreasonable to expect a demonstration? Who are you, exactly? Why would it be reasonable? You're the guy getting free information and knowledge, and you're basically demanding MORE free work from the guy spending (wasting?) hours trying to inform and educate. No. It is not reasonable. If I had the video already, of course I'd share it. But I haven't gone out to video-document a theory that I already proved to myself to be true. What would be the point? Why would I spend the time? I care enough to share the info here, and I care enough to even go rounds with you (thus far, but I'm done)... but I guess I don't care enough to go spend a couple hours setting up a glider, running around, filming myself, editing, posting, and then explaining myself to you? If you don't care enough to go outside and try it... then yes, it's unreasonable to expect me to. Don't ya think?
If you feel strongly that the pilot(s) are acting in a reckless manor, the first step would be go say hi and talk to them.
Why wouldn't the first step be to video record them and present the evidence to u$hPa for appropriate action?
Maybe bring 'em cold beer so you start off on the right foot. If they go for another tandem after drinking your beer, you know they're loose canons and you can move on to further action Image

I might suggest *ASKING* if they feel it is excessively risky (obviously they do not, or they wouldn't do it- but then you can follow with asking WHY they do not think so). This way you are not placing a judgemental allegation on them right from the start. Of course... they could have one of those cables coming in their house, connected to their appliances, too... in which case... you might owe these fellers an apology since you judged them pretty hard (and sort of asked others to do the same)...

Just some cents to make sense of Image
As far as I'm concerned... Fuck 'em if they're not tuned into and participating in these discussions. And they're obviously not so fuck 'em.

Zack Marzec was one of those cool dudes whose job it was to teach paying customers how to aerotow safely. Somebody find a punctuation mark's worth of participation in any glider discussion of any kind.

I called him on a shitload of AT safety issues 2013/01/22 05:21:02 UTC - including one of the two that killed him a week and a half later. And if he'd been flying solo in the video I'd have called him on two of the two.
And PS to Jono- thanks for sharing that 117mph picture, and proving my point. That blip of insight into what happened in one specific moment shows nothing of what training or preparation lead up to it, nor what choices were made- consciously- in leading up to that reading that day. Supports this whole conversation perfectly... we are all ill-equipped to judge whether these tandem pilots are "too risky", or are just doing something we might not choose to do personally (for a myriad of possible reasons)
Yes Ryan. I'm just as ill-equipped as Telepilot. More so, in fact, because he's seen all these extremely risky maneuvers and I haven't.
NMERider - 2016/12/31 06:51:01 UTC

You played Russian Roulette when you did that and the other, similar dive. That you managed not to kill yourself is wholly a reflection on your luck and little more. Any claim to the contrary is mere self-delusion. Being a skilled pilot does not make anyone a knowledgeable pilot as you continue to demonstrate ad nauseum..
Nauseam.
I stand by my assertion that if a tandem pilot is witnessed engaging in conduct that a reasonable person is likely to conclude needlessly endangers the passenger then that pilot should promptly be brought to the attention of the RD(s). If the RD(s) engage in hand wringing, deflection or stonewalling then Paul Murdoch needs to be contacted. If the outcome continues to be more of the same conduct by the offending tandem pilot then contact me with all available documentation. I will use it to draft new proposed FARs regarding the reckless endangerment of third parties by unpowered ultralight pilots.

It makes absolutely no difference whether the passenger was willing to be placed at risk. Any passenger who requests a high-risk thrill ride should be rejected and provided a full refund. No tandem pilot should ever provide a ride to a prospective passenger who seeks to engage in a high-risk thrill ride.

USHPA has failed its members miserably in the priority of avoiding injury to the public. No liability waiver or doctrine of assumption of risk will stand up in front of a jury when the next Arys Morehead...
Moorhead.
...comes to pass and we have another dead or injured tandem passenger or spectator. No amount of Clarence Darrow brilliance by Timothy Herr in front of any judge, jury or defense council will matter. Our insurance reserves will be depleted. USHPA has repeatedly failed to educate its members in this regard.
How is it possible to educate anybody about anything if all the crash data gets shredded as quickly and thoroughly as possible? How does what these tandem turners and burners are doing on approach even register on the scale of what the paper shredders in the national office are doing all the fuckin' time?
The attitude of feigned superiority and hand wringing so grotesquely displayed on this by one individual will, in the end be a contributing factor to the loss of our liability insurance and flying privileges. All who buy into this self-serving propaganda will be equally guilty.
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-bRrpHNa68iY/UQ6Pv9gRZyI/AAAAAAAAjTg/Hc22bx5122Q/s2048/20943781_BG1.jpg
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

Low Turns to Final
Telepilot - 2016/12/31 13:02:11 UTC

A few points, AIRTHUG

First, I really do appreciate your analysis of the subject.
If only he could've blathered on ANOTHER eight pages.
Especially the Risk vs. Reward. Very well thought out.
Like his analysis of glider roll control force transmission.
(As I re-read my comment about the "Risk vs. Reward Seminar", I thought it sounded snarky...sorry, but I recently attended an actual Risk vs. Reward Seminar and I think I typed it without thinking.)
You also typed "siminar" without much in the way of thinking.
Second, you suggest I say something to the individuals as I see it happen. I don't know these guys AT ALL and more importantly, I won't see this particular bunch for several more months if at all ever again. And as far as asking the internet herd to comment, I think it's valuable that we bring this discussion up so we can all look out for it.
No. Anybody who posts anything on the internet is just a stupid keyboard pounder. The quality people are the ones who read everything but never post anything. (Bobby Bailey's a fucking genius when it comes to this shit... for example. (We could post samples of his fucking geniusosity - but there wouldn't be any point because you wouldn't be able to understand any of them.))
Or just maybe a guy will question what he himself is doing.
Right. He won't do this while he's actually flying but upon reading something on The Jack Show...
...one man's crazy dangerous rad sick gnarly stunt, just might be another's bread-and-butter snooze-fest done-it-a-million-times kind of thing.
That particular thought troubles me. I think this is where complacency might be a factor. I mentioned earlier a concept of "The Normalization of Deviance" where a group sort of feeds on the accelerating un-safe behavior of others in the group right up until an accident happens. Kinda like, "The other guys are doing it and I've done it so many times before that it must be normal."
Ever hear of Chris Muller? But it wasn't really that what he was doing something risky / batshit reckless but that he did something WRONG that everybody else was doing RIGHT.
Lastly, you suggest that a typed explanation for others to comment on is inappropriate. I believe that it's kinda like defining Porn in that I can't describe it but I know it when I see it. Ya know?
Sure. I've always been good with people being imprisoned for decades based upon an individual's indefinable impression/opinion of something.
My main concern is an un-suspecting member of the public getting hurt and putting our self- insurance in jeopardy.
My main concern is that the last molecule of pretense that these were actual student instructional flights evaporated decades ago and the references to the other people under the gliders as "passengers" never manage to raise anyone's eyebrow as much as a fraction of a millimeter.
I don't think I'm alone here on that. Cheers. Image
You're never alone there on The Jack Show on ANYTHING. Because if you are Jack will ban you in a New York minute for rubbing people the wrong way. Image
mario - 2017/01/01 00:35:22 UTC

No, you are not alone on this Telepilot.
While reading this thread I feel that I'm missing something between the lines.
My brother used to give me and others tandem flights and I can tell you that he understood the extra "weight" of his responsibilities.
He'd have been so much more inclined to just crash himself doing stupid shit. No impact to any others that way.
It is true that there are flying sites that require low maneuvering for landings and I have witnessed very good pilots giving tandems in those places without worrying-because I trusted their skills and understanding of the gravity of the situation.
But let's never practice for those landings at sites that DON'T require low maneuvering for landings - because all that does is needlessly expose participants to excess risk.
This is the same for challenging launches.
Meaning FOOT launches. 'Cause nobody ever talks about challenging dolly or platform launches 'cause they don't exist.
What I don't understand is when a tandem pilot takes unnecessary extra risks when there are plenty already. As has been stated already, it is no longer just about you, but a shared concern with another life (and all their loved ones) and the freedom for the rest of us to practice this sport.
And here was an ACTUAL accident waiting to happen:

http://www.crestlinesoaring.org/node/1095
Las Vegas Accident | Crestline Soaring Society
Jeffw - 2015/03/30 18:28

Driver with zero expeerience met in the parking lot?
Previouse 2 "students: ended with broken legs/feet?
So poor kellY?!! are there not rules, guidlines, protocals? where they are broken? I am sick from the irresponsible recklessness of Kelly, and the death of the child. That is the only place my sympathy lies.
And where was everybody? And then we get:
Aldpal - 2015/03/30 19:45

UNBELIEVABLE

Jeff, your post has lots of questions and indicates you don't have the answers or knowledge of what happened, yet you are comfortable making a judgement of my friends character, and say you have no sympathy for his death. Remarkable. The only facts your post contains is incontrovertible evidence of your character and lack of class. Out of respect for the CSS forum, I will refrain from expressing what I really think of you and your post. Hopefully we will get a chance to discuss this in person some time, so I can be a little more candid with my language.
So tell me some more about holding irresponsible tandem drivers accountable and expecting appropriate feelings of responsibility for the lives of the entrusted passengers. If any of you motherfuckers were really serious about this you'd have come down on Aldpal like a ton of bricks and made his continuation in the sport totally untenable.
I very much appreciate that AIRTHUG contributes on this forum as I consider him a wealth of good advice...
What a coincidence! AIRTHUG *ALSO* consider himself a wealth of good advice!
...and I am happy for his attempts to educate us...
Attempts?
...but this time I find some of his writing troubling.
Maybe you should go back and review some of his previous writing. I find him remarkably consistent (predictable).
I fail to see how it is wrong to bring up a concern of safety and judgment. I don't remember Telepilot naming names...
Unfortunately.
...and I have no idea if he or she is overreacting, but it does seem like a worthy discussion. But then again, maybe I'm just a dense meat sack.
NMERider - 2017/01/01 00:58:17 UTC
...but this time I find some of his writing troubling.
As well you should Mario. Cryin Ryan could be the poster child for hypocritical elitism in any sport.
Now that Jim Keen-Intellect Rooney is toast - permanently.
Not just hang gliding. His blog url might just as aptly be addressed: fakeflightadvice.bs. In this case he has absolutely no remorse for placing our meager and tenuous liability insurance resources in jeopardy and therefore placing every one of our local USHPA chapter flying sites at risk of closure. Unless you want to do all of your future flying at Elsinore, Ord, Blackhawk, etc. say nothing and do nothing. Anyone who for any reason threatens our liability insurance threatens our free flight privileges. Cryin Ryan won't address this issue because he knows in his heart that it's true but chooses to deflect attention away from his guilt. This is nothing new. It's his M-O.
Happy New Year!
Revenue from the tandem thrill ride industry is u$hPa's lifeblood. Ryan's u$hPa's fuckin' poster boy:

http://www.ushpa.org/media/36
http://www.ushpa.org/media/37

literally. Ryan's never gonna utter a single syllable against anything mainstream u$hPa.
Ryan Voight - 2017/01/01 02:30:04 UTC
mario - 2017/01/01 00:35:22 UTC

It is true that there are flying sites that require low maneuvering for landings and I have witnessed very good pilots giving tandems in those places without worrying-because I trusted their skills and understanding of the gravity of the situation. This is the same for challenging launches.
So you accept that making low turns or higher risk choices, tandem, is acceptable "when required"... but not when done needlessly. I'm sorry... but every flight in a hang glider is technically "needless"... and more, performing tandem flights at sites that "require" low maneuvering is in effect choosing to do low maneuvering tandem. The choice to fly tandem at such a site is akin to the choice to do low maneuvering at a site where it's done by elective, but isn't "required".
But let's be extremely careful to say NOTHING about the legitimacy of treating and executing every landing as RLF 'cause u$hPa safety culture dictates long straight finals to old Frisbees half the runway length to the upwind obstruction, actual RLF practice and skills are virtually nonexistent in the sport, and participants consequently get mangled and killed all the fuckin' time.
Your point that you trusted their skills and understanding of the gravity of the situation is paramount to this discussion. First, you felt they were still flying within (well within?) their skill capabilities, right?
How come this execution isn't well within EVERYBODY's "skill" capabilities? What's so fuckin' difficult about it? Tell me where the "skill" comes into play.
And second, you felt they knew/understood/respected the risk and potential consequences of their choices, right?
How have we established that there's any risk involved? If we eliminated rolling launches from the tandem thrill ride industry tomorrow does anybody think for a nanosecond that a heavy price wouldn't be paid?

'Specially given that world hang gliding treats hook-in checks like the fuckin' plague?
- 2003/03/29 - Steve Parson / Eleni Zeri
- 2006/02/21 - Jim Keen-Intellect Rooney / unidentified chick victim
- 2012/04/28 - Jon Orders / Lenami Godinez-Avila

But let's all go rabid about Low Turns to Final and give the mountain launching tandem hook-in check skippers a total free pass.
With these requirements of yours met, you were accepting of their choice to do low turns flying tandem.
Here's another thought... ANY primary LZ - 'specially at a commercial operation - can almost instantly BECOME restricted. Gliders tend to have a narrow choice range when it comes to the timing of the landing. This, in fact, was a critical issue in one of this thread's top participants:

15-20722
http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3716/13650564173_a8a354352b_o.png
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7031/13650523775_06dc2694e4_o.png
19-30028

Consequences were severe and could've easily been a quad. Wouldn't have happened with a Low Turns to Final versus drag chute approach to the RLF issue. Low Turns to Final strategy tends to expand options. Drag chute strategy tends to limit them.
My point is, and I don't mean to be harsh here, but they don't need your approval.
But keep up the great work helping them to keep Rube Goldberg release systems out of circulation.
So, if they had it, great... but if they did it differently, or someone did it without satisfying those two things (or your perception of their satisfying those two things, actually)... that does not necessarily mean they are a great risk to our insurance and "the powers that be" must be informed immediately. It doesn't mean they're acting intelligently or accepting those risks intellectually, either... so I'm not actually defending whoever it is we started this thread talking about... I'm just saying, because someone feels they're flying in a risky manor, doesn't mean they actually ARE...
DO put some effort into learning to spell "MANNER" one of these days, Ryan.
...but this time I find some of his writing troubling. I fail to see how it is wrong to bring up a concern of safety and judgment.
It is not wrong to bring up a concern for safety!
It is when you don't know what the fuck you're talking about. (Any thoughts on why Dave Hopkins isn't gracing us with any of his wisdom on this one?)
I hope that is not the impression I gave you, or anyone here!!!
And if you're not anyone here!!! - in Jack's Living Room - you can go fuck yourself.
But I'm saying bring up the safety concern TO THE INDIVIDUAL(S) YOU ARE CONCERNED ABOUT.
Sure. Just explain to them the physics of why bent pin barrel releases have zilch load capacity. Build a load tester and let them see for themselves. Show them the posts from Lauren Tjaden and Bart Weghorst documenting the catastrophic failure incidents at altitude. All hang glider people are totally reasonable - 'specially the professionals. How do you think we could've amassed the track record length we have otherwise?
Bringing it up here might be good, and might make a few people think...
Good freaking luck.
...but in reality, I've spent a LOT of time writing articles and posting on this forum...
Since it's the fairest and most egalitarian game around.
...and forget about culture change, it's pretty rare that even a single individual changes.
THIS:

37-23223
http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3713/9655904048_89cce6423a_o.png

motherfucker sure did. And while his contribution seems to have not changed all that much in the field it FOREVER radically changed the conversation regarding the focal point of the safe towing system.
But I'm a dense meat sack too... and I just a not quite ready to be at peace with feeling like I did all I could to help people...
Never a fraction as much as Zack Marzec did.
...and so I'm here (and yes, I'm grumpy about being here- apologies for that, as I'm sure it comes through in my writings).
It's really amazing what comes through (and DOESN'T) in your writings, Ryan. Please keep up the great work.
Telepilot - 2016/12/31 13:02:11 UTC

...you suggest I say something to the individuals as I see it happen. I don't know these guys AT ALL and more importantly, I won't see this particular bunch for several more months if at all ever again.
Again, my point is solidified- you don't know these guys AT ALL. How can you judge the "risk" in their low turn approach?
How can a competently trained and qualified Three NOT be able to judge the risks involved in the stuff he's supposed to be able to execute?
Remember, risk = how likely to go bad + how bad is it if it does go bad. We could all imagine the potential results of catching a wing tip or otherwise misjudging a low turn approach... but the how likely is it to go bad, that's tougher to identify.
If you're a total fucking moron anyway.
It will be different for pilot A than it is for pilot B.
How 'bout this example, Ryan?:

Is this a joke ?
Jim Rooney - 2011/08/28 10:40:24 UTC

Hi Tormod.
Oh, not at all.
I think what you're picking up on is my lack of willingness to discuss this with people that have already made up their minds.
Sorry for that, but it's just the nature of the beast.

I have no issue with discussing this with people that don't have an agenda.
I get very short with people that do however.

Am I "certain" about anything?
Nope.
However, some things get real obvious when you're doing them all the time. One is that weaklinks do in fact save people's asses.
You're 100% onto it... relying on the skill of the pilot is a numbers game that you'll lose at some point.

I find that so many people do not appreciate how fast and furious lockouts can happen.
They're exponential in nature.
Twice the time doesn't equate to twice the "bad"... it's four times the "bad"... then 16... it gets dramatic fast.

Is a weaklink going to save your ass? Who knows? But it's nice to stack the deck in your favour.

Now flip the argument and you start to see the devil.
A glider can take a whole shitload more force than a weaklink can.
So, if you're of the "sole purpose" cult, then you see no issue with a LOT stronger weaklink.

Well, it won't take long with that system before we've got a lot more dead pilots out there.
So they can stuff their philosophical purity bs... cuz I have no desire to tow someone to their death, no matter how willing they may be.

I'm not playing with this stuff in my head and just dismissing it. There's been a lot that's gone into this system.

I've seen too many people walk the "strong link" road only to find out the reality of things.
Fortunately, they've been unscathed, but there have been a lot of soiled underpants in the process.

I'm happy to discuss this stuff.
But I'm sick to death of arguing about it.
We were assured in no uncertain terms by hang gliding's universally acknowledged top expert on everything that we'd see a bloodbath beyond anyone's imagination - tug drivers included - if we started putting Tad-O-Links into circulation on any measurable scale. How's that been working out?
And pilot C is different still. You only know- or have a good idea at least- of how "risky" that approach is for YOU.
How? The motherfucker's never dipped a wing below two hundred feet.
That's human nature really. Watch any extreme sport athlete on TV and you probably can't help but find yourself thinking this dude's crazy...
Bullshit.
...but in actuallity, they've achieved a higher level of skill and understanding than we can even fathom...
Bullshit.
...and they've made a career of doing this crazy (looking) stuff, again and again and again. Their skill, understanding, and risk assement/management is so far ahead of our own- for that activity- that it seems like "luck" they survived. But they've been surviving over and over and over and over, for many years, before getting to the upper pinnacle of that activity that they are on TV and you're just now finally seeing them do whatever they do.
And aren't we incredibly fortunate to have you to explain that to all us stupid keyboard pounders.
Jono- read the above- when you understand SO LITTLE of the risk management and skill building in what you are seeing, it's pretty human to deem it "luck". I won't discount my fair share of luck in my life, and in my flying endeavors as well... but to say I've survived all I've done by luck is basically your admission of ignorance. That's fine- I said earlier, what you don't get to see is the study, the work, the training regimen, the years upon years, the kabillions of repetitions and the teeniest of incremental baby steps...
So was it OK for many of us to suddenly become happy with 200 pound fishing line as the focal point of our safe towing system after establishing such an incredibly long track record with 130? Can you cite any instances of anybody nudging up to 150 to see how well that worked in comparison? And did we ever figure out what the focal point of our safe towing system is supposed to work to do?
I am by no means tooting my own horn- I haven't done anything that the REAL pioneers didn't do long ago, in much less advanced equipment, and probably with less knowledge and educational resources available.
Yeah, the technical aspects of looping a hang glider are complex nearly to the point of being beyond human comprehension. Most people just throw in the towel and take up careers in quantum physics.
I was only able to study, train, practice, and learn to do what I have done in a hang glider because these guys went and did it, trial and error...
TRAIL and error.
...school of hard knocks...
What a load o' crap.
I'm not a pioneer, or even an advancer of what can be done in a hang glider... but I do think I'm a fine example of how even one of the MOST risky things people have thought to do in a hang glider, can be prepared for and approached with a very rational and safety-oriented approach.
From a motherfucker who repeatedly swears on stacks of bibles that a hang glider can be roll controlled hands free through weight shift alone by running towards the high wing.
I have two kids now...
Great news for the gene pool.
...and people can't believe I still loop.
Where's the data that indicates looping is dangerous? Coastal and other ridge guys loop their brains out all the fuckin' time with huge margins and zilch issues. The only times we get issues are with shit execution or 2mm or defective wires that nobody's bothered to stomp test. What DOES crash, injure, quad, kill people is being upright on final. And complaints about that are nonexistent.
I'm not pressing further into entering at higher and higher speeds anymore, or stretching the top out at lighter and lighter G loading... but if looping, as a husband and parent of two, is too risky now... I shouldn't have been doing it then, either... Which seems to be Jono's clear opinion.
Any inkling of anything that might have gone wrong with this:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-bRrpHNa68iY/UQ6Pv9gRZyI/AAAAAAAAjTg/Hc22bx5122Q/s2048/20943781_BG1.jpg

one? Has the hang gliding community totally baffled. But u$hPa believes the open face helmet may have been a significant factor in his suffering of fatal injuries.
Which he's entitled to, since opinions are like @ holes...
Is this a joke ?
Jim Rooney - 2011/08/31 09:25:57 UTC

So please, find me something... that you didn't make... that I can go out and buy from a store... that's rated and quality controlled... that fits your desire for a "non one size fits all" model, and *maybe* we can talk.
But you see... I'm the guy you've got to convince.
(or whoever your tug pilot may be... but we all tend to have a similar opinion about this)
...but like I said regarding the thread topic... his feeling that way doesn't make it so... it's actually kind of meaningless, as he has no idea what the level of risk is/isn't for me to perform a loop...
Get fucked, Ryan. Joe Public watches Blue Angels performances and the crowd can tell just fine when everything's going according to schedule and when something really bad is about to happen.
Just like we have no idea what the actual level of risk is for these tandem pilots.
...you suggest I say something to the individuals as I see it happen. I don't know these guys AT ALL and more importantly, I won't see this particular bunch for several more months if at all ever again.
I wasn't really suggesting you talk to them next time you see them (although now that is your only option)... but what I at least meant to be suggesting is that, in the future, you (and everyone else) GO TALK TO THE PILOT IN QUESTION... like, that day, on the spot. Doesn't matter if you know them. Probably better if you don't! But try to inquire about their mindset, about their rational in making those choices, or how safe or risky they feel they were, and why. Maybe they demonstrate they're (almost) as ignorant as Jono... or maybe they actually show you that, while it APPEARED they were being reckless at first glance, they were actually being quite calculated in their choice and execution, and they were staying well within their expertise (flying with plenty of "safety margin").
If there are practices that are clearly and quantifiably dangerous then modify the u$hPa SOPs accordingly and enforce the rules. Otherwise just shut the fuck up.

Flying pro toad is a blatant violation of u$hPa's conditions for obtaining and operating under its FAA aerotowing exemption as it mandates use of certified gliders and flying pro toad decertifies the crap outta the glider. u$hPa doesn't give a flying fuck about compliance, the FAA doesn't give a flying fuck about enforcement, within the span of a bit over three years two professional pilots who would've been fine two point were killed instantly launching at Quest. And NOBODY does a GODDAM THING about it. So please shut the fuck up about Low Turns to Final.
I *strongly* disagree the first course of action is to run and tell your Regional Director! Not before talking to the pilot yourself!!!?!
If somebody runs a red and almost smashes into me in the intersection should I talk to him or phone the cops and give them his description and license number?
And then you might reach out to whomever their Tandem Administrator was... because that's who felt that person would be a safe and responsible tandem pilot, and if they're not meeting that expectation (responsibility!)... the Tandem Admin will likely remove their rating.
Don't you think it a bit odd that there aren't any self identified Tandem Administrators participating in this discussion? If this is:
- an actual issue for concern then I submit that they're being criminally negligent in their implementation and oversight of the program?
- a total bullshit or worse issue then why are they doing zilch in the way of educating the membership?
For it to get to a Regional Director, and to the Board level, it's really got to be egregious AND contentious, and therefore can not or should not be handled by these other means...
And if it IS actually egregious AND contentious be sure to look at the cases of Tad Eareckson and Bob Kuczewski as models for how things will be handled and resolved.
Self regulated does *not* mean tell someone who volunteers to keep the ship afloat, and have them deal with it.
Yeah, when somebody volunteers for or gets elected or appointed to a position of responsibility he CERTAINLY shouldn't be expected to have or demonstrate any responsibility for actually doing anything of any actual substance. It's just a more elite level of hang gliding's mutual masturbation society culture.
It means that, as a part of this sport and community, it's each of our responsibilities to regulate ourselves (our own actions, and those of everyone around us). Don't pass the buck... talk to them yourself, face to face, in a non-confrontational or judgemental way, FIRST! And don't jump to conclusions that can not be made without the info you need to get from the pilot themselves Image
1. And Ryan can cite TONS of examples of this mechanism working out in the real world.
2. Awesome implementation of English grammar, Ryan Image
NMERider

Post by NMERider »

NMERider wrote:
mario wrote:....but this time I find some of his writing troubling.....
As well you should Mario. Cryin Ryan could be the poster child for hypocritical elitism in any sport. Not just hang gliding. His blog url might just as aptly be addressed: fakeflightadvice.bs. In this case he has absolutely no remorse for placing our meager and tenuous liability insurance resources in jeopardy and therefore placing everyone of our local USHPA chapter flying sites at risk of closure. Unless you want to do all of your future flying at Elsinore, Ord, Blackhawk, etc. say nothing and do nothing. Anyone who for any reason threatens our liability insurance threatens our free flight privileges. Cryin Ryan won't address this issue because he knows in his heart that it's true but chooses to deflect attention away from his guilt. This is nothing new. It's his M-O....
:roll: :roll: :roll:
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

Low Turns to Final
mario - 2017/01/01 05:29:32 UTC

Thanks for taking the time to write again, Ryan.
One shudders to think where the sport would be today without such contributions from Ryan.
I agree with you completely.
Really hard to go wrong taking that tack.
I just got the impression from your earlier post that no one can judge anyone else's flying.
Nobody really needs to. Gravity can be counted on pretty reliably to provide the necessary feedback.
For instance, you say "Again, my point is solidified- you don't know these guys AT ALL. How can you judge the "risk" in their low turn approach?" To me that says " don't say anything 'cause you can't know anything " I guess I understand your point, but it still bothers me. But hey, what do I know. I will defer to those that are wiser than I am when I can.
Really hard to go wrong letting a Ryan Instant-Hands-Free-Release Voight or Jim Keen-Intellect Rooney do your thinking for you.
About my comment about more challenging sites, I'm not talking about extreme situations where there is no room for error, reckless flying, lack of options or crazy low turns.
Find me, from the entire history of hang gliding, a video or solid incident report of a consequential deliberately executed crazy low turn.
I was just trying to make the point that there are different levels of risks at different sites and I accept that.
Which would help explain why Ryan Instant-Hands-Free-Release Voight and Jim Keen-Intellect Rooney always come out smelling like roses after executing their stunt landings in primary Happy Acres putting greens in glass conditions.
I understood the OP to be asking the opinions of others on unnecessary low turn finals with tandem flights and wondering how to handle witnessing such a situation in the future.
Pull out your fuckin' iPhone and get a fifteen second video clip so everybody and his dog can witness one of these crazy Low Turns to Final.
I think it is also a good idea to ask others who are there and seeing the behavior if you are being reasonable or not in your assessment before confronting someone.
See above, dickhead.
I can tell I haven't been flying enough when I start writing on this forum - and that's not good for me or any of you!!

Happy New Year and many safe flights to all!!
To all welcome guests in Jack's Living Room anyway.
Telepilot - 2017/01/01 14:11:56 UTC
Ryan Voight - 2017/01/01 02:30:04 UTC

How can you judge the "risk" in their low turn approach? Remember, risk = how likely to go bad + how bad is it if it does go bad.
OK, in one instance I remember perfectly. At a really big and popular LZ...
Which we can't name for fear of retaliation by Morningside.
...I had just landed doing my typical DBF approach.
Rather than practicing a tight RLF approach 'cause what are the odds I'd ever need to be able to competently execute one of those in a dicey situation.
I cleared the LZ and was standing next to my thirty-year H4 friend. We hear the whoosh over our heads...
Indicating massive airspeed overkill.
...and watched the tandem ride making his diving turn...
Yet more airspeed / responsiveness / control authority.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/hhpa/message/11564
Question
Zack C - 2010/11/07 04:40:14 UTC

I think stalls near the ground are among the most dangerous things that can happen to a fixed-wing aircraft.
So can we at least agree that this particular safety issue is totally off the table?
...directly from downwind to final with the wingtip getting down to about two feet off the ground before he completed his rollout.
And here I was under the impression that these wingtips were typically scraping.
We both commented on it. He rolled right up to where others were lined up to go for a ride.
One gets pretty good at some of the shit one executes twenty times a day all season long, doesn't one?
How can I judge the risk?
I'd start by noting that the driver did precisely with the wing what he wanted to. Then I'd go look at some total fuckin' dildo like JackieB who wouldn't dip a wing five degrees under two hundred feet with a gun to his head and speculate what would happen to him if he ever needed to put a glider down in something with other than the mile wide Cloud 9 Happy Acres putting green margins to which he's accustomed. I'd predict an outcome similar to what we recently got with Ron Keinan and Tev Carrillos.

How 'bout you? Same training regimen, different results?
Risk = how likely to go bad? Well it's a lot more likely to go bad i.e. wingtip grab the dirt from two feet as opposed to eighty feet.
Suck my dick. Zero for either figure. Compare contrast with this flare timing we're all supposed to have perfected in order to be able to safely land in narrow dry riverbeds with large rocks strewn all over the place.

A fuckin' nanosecond too late...

09-00521
http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3915/14216881399_3c86c2b99f_o.png

...and your shoulder gets torn apart...

14-00725
http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3859/14423696873_f1326e2320_o.png

...and your downtubes spring back to pristine alignments.

21-00927
http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3843/14400162931_c7be53f330_o.png
How bad is it if it DOES go bad?
Since we've already established - with zero evidence - that the risk of it going bad at two foot clearance is astronomical.
Well, the tandem passenger dies...
The passenger. But the driver comes out smelling like a rose. While pretty much everyone in hang gliding IS a total moron NOBODY routinely puts his life - which in tandem is synonymous with his passenger's life - at significant risk on landing approaches. If that WERE the case Darwin would've dealt with it a long time ago. They're staying prone with both hands on the control bar, setting up for wheel landings, totally bulletproof.

For the 2015/03/27 Jean Lake to happen a zillion things had to be done wrong and line up perfectly. And none of you motherfuckers ever lifted a finger - before or after - about ANY of them.

Also note:
...the tandem passenger dies...
Doesn't get injured. Dies. Either comes out smelling like a rose - consistent with all relevant landings to date - or is killed instantly. Nothing in between.
...we get sued and all of our sites close down.
While back in the REAL world a tandem driver vaporizes himself and a little eleven year old kid passenger due entirely to total shit towing equipment and massive incompetence at both ends of the string and then - a year plus seven days later after u$hPa thoroughly addresses all the relevant issues - Pat Denevan murders a Hang One student on total shit state-of-the-art equipment and gets a TOTAL FREE PASS. So go fuck yourself, Telepilot.
On further reflection...
Have you checked recently to make sure you actually HAVE a reflection?
I think I should have said something then. I saw it on multiple occasions with multiple pilots and thought I was beginning to see a local cultural trend develop.
All those razor close shaves and nary a slightly bowed downtube or lightly scraped knee to show for it. Go figure.
That is why I started this thread.
To find a good solution for a totally nonexistent problem. Is this a great sport or what.
I wondered if this was happening everywhere.
I think the total absence of relevant incident reports is excellent evidence that it is.
I didn't know at the time if it was or not. Next time I see it, I think I'll say something.
And do get back to us and tell us how things turned out.

Post time stamp:
2017/01/01 14:11:56 UTC

And now we're halfway through the season with (spoiler alert):
- zero:
-- follow-up
-- videos of the approaches under discussion
-- relevant incidents
- another devastating crash due to a Three's total incompetence in RLF proficiency at a primary* LZ at an extremely mainstream ridge flying site

* That's not The Pulpit's secondary. The Pulpit doesn't have a secondary. It has two primaries - the usual one for when there's sustainable lift to the south and the rarely used one for when there isn't. A secondary is a bailout option - usually in close proximity to a primary.
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

Low Turns to Final
Jason Boehm - 2017/01/02 01:46:44 UTC

The attitude of feigned superiority and hand wringing so grotesquely displayed on this by one individual will, in the end be a contributing factor to the loss of our liability insurance and flying privileges. All who buy into this self-serving propaganda will be equally guilty.
says the guy who's been choppered out, picked up by police, litterally landed in a prison, broken his neck, flown into powerlines, and these are just the things he's publicly posted videos off...
Yeah, he's probably withheld from us all the SERIOUS shit that's happened with him.
...(off the top of my head)
Also off the top of your head:

http://www.hanggliding.org/viewtopic.php?t=13745
Good News vs Sad News
Jason Boehm - 2009/09/30 17:31:09 UTC

same thing as always, that he knows the one and only way to do things and if only everyone would do exactly as he does that there would never be another injury in hanggliding, which is ironic since he doesnt fly any more because he crashed (someone elses fault of course)
Stupid fucking semiliterate Jack Show total douchebag.
yes......Ryan is the threat to our insurance..... Image Image
1. And if ya wanna find out about the operations with the really excellent safety records... Check out the websites for Quest, Wallaby, Florida Ridge, Lockout, Blue Sky, Highland Aerosports, Morningside, Whitewater, Windsports, Mission... All totally spotless. ZERO incidents, nobody's ever been scratched, 100.00 percent of their graduates are all doing just fine.

2. Show me a video of Ryan going XC and/or landing in anything that wasn't a home site Happy Acres putting green.
NMERider - 2017/01/02 02:47:24 UTC

That's the general idea. Image Image
Ryan Voight - 2017/01/02 03:15:55 UTC
There are more than those even... these are just the last year or two! LOL
So how 'bout giving us an update on how things are going with your Fly High spinoff operation:

down in Florida, Ryan?
There have been many "exciting" returns to Earth, all over his various XC routes... downtubes did suffer. Someone owns each and every one of those parcels of land, and so the concept that a solo pilot, flying XC, poses no threat of litigation to the USHPA insurance policy is absurd.
How 'bout this:

return to Earth? How'd his next landing go?
I'm not saying don't fly XC... just don't fool yourself into thinking you can crash all over the LA valley and the only one at risk is your own self.
I think he's been able to walk away from all his XC landings.
There was a time, way back, where it was alleged he *literally* flew into a school. As in, his approach went slightly long, and he bonked into the wall as he flared (or something like that). The thread was quickly deleted, and the occurrence has since been vehemently denied... but there are a couple people that still remember hearing about it, and what he himself said before deleting the thread...
Really? Jonathan can delete a thread from Jack's Living Room?
But unfortunately this personal pissing match furthers nothing (as fun as it is, and as entertaining as his delusions & temper tantrums may be)...

So again, back to the topic at hand!!!
http://www.hanggliding.org/viewtopic.php?t=14312
Tow Park accidents
Jim Rooney - 2009/11/10 06:11:41 UTC
I think my opinion on Mr Negative are pretty clear, so I'll just say Image

Ah, with that out of the way....
Back on topic Image
No one is arguing that low turns aren't "higher risk" than a long, straight final glide (all else being equal).
'Specially none of the long straight finalers who sustained too much brain damage to be able to participate in coherent discussions.
But hang gliding is dangerous, and we all seem to agree choosing to fly is an "acceptable" risk. If anyone- ANYONE- posts a video of their flying, I'm sure we could pick out things they could have ("should have") done differently that could reduce risk. But who gets to judge what is "acceptable" risk, and what is "too dangerous"?
There's no such thing as "too dangerous". u$hPa isn't - and can't be - in the safety business so whether it's safe or dangerous to take off with a frayed sidewire is simply a matter of opinion and all opinions expressed on The Jack Show are equally valuable and must be respected accordingly.
A 60 degree banked turn where the wingtip is 1 ft above the terrain, at an airspeed roughly double stall speed, tandem... ok or not ok? Unnecessary- surely!
Surely! Regardless of runway length! Since that's always infinite.

Another lightbulb moment...

The thought of marginal runway length always scared me shitless - since before I entered the sport and learned, on my own, how to safely execute minimal runway length landings.

u$hPa doesn't want the public or its membership to think that any phase of what we do is potentially dangerous and may require solid aeronautical competence for long term survival. So they gear for spot landings at old Frisbee in middles of LZs at ends of long straight safe finals. And when you total yourself under- or over-shooting it's because you weren't diligent enough perfecting your spot landings.

Same deal with unhooked launches. Even though they published Rob Kells correctly identifying fear as the primary defense against that most deadly of our fuckups they don't want anybody approaching launch with the proper mindset. They want everybody approaching launch without any cares in the world because of the hang checks they always do / all did within the previous five minutes.
But we are *ALL* people who accept risk for fun...
And we *ALL* know who is and isn't included in "we".
...and take on the personal responsibility of managing...
...and never eliminating...
...the risks to have our jollies. When someone flies tandem, they take on the responsibility for not only their own personal safety, but that of their passenger as well.
For more information on that aspect please consult Jim Keen-Intellect Rooney.

09-20
http://c2.staticflickr.com/6/5315/29962431842_1b260f7a81_o.png
There is admittedly a fine line between letting each pilot choose their own adventure (solo OR tandem)... and each of us looking out for each other, and for the greater flying community. I don't have the answers as to where that line is, honestly I think it's different for each pilot and it's extremely case sensitive...
Please shut the fuck up, Ryan. Outstanding example of someone with nothing of any actual substance to say blathering on in inverse proportion.
The only way to find out if the tandem pilot(s) mentioned in the original post are being reckless yahoos are calculating and precisely executing, is to talk to them.
Since it would be totally impossible for anyone to objectively evaluate their competence and safety margins.
Ask what they think of it, ask how "safe" they feel it is. Ask if there are little ways they alter that activity (low turns) based on conditions, or the passenger that flight, wingloading, whatever...
And...

Is this a joke ?
Jim Rooney - 2011/08/25 21:40:25 UTC

Tommy.
First, I sent Steve a bunch of info offline. Hopefully it clears things up a bit for him.
Unfortunately, he's stumbled onto some of Tad's old rantings and got suckered in. So most of this was just the same old story of debunking Tad's lunacy... again .

See, the thing is... "we", the people that work at and run aerotow parks, have a long track record.
This stuff isn't new, and has been slowly refined over decades.
We have done quite literally hundreds of thousands of tows.
We know what we're doing.
...you can take whatever they tell you to the bank. And when is it ever NOT gonna be some version of "We know what we're doing."?
Once more I'll say I'm not defending them just as equally as I'm not being critical of them, without knowing a heck of a lot more.
And we certainly wouldn't wanna compel you to take a concrete stand on anything.
I'm more being critical of people passing judgement on these pilot(s) without this detailed analysis data first...
You mean the data of zero relevant crashes?
NMERider - 2017/01/02 03:51:08 UTC

Look in the mirror and you will see the poster child of people passing judgement on these pilot(s) without this detailed analysis data first Image Image Image
NMERider

Post by NMERider »

Tad Eareckson wrote: http://www.hanggliding.org/viewtopic.php?t=34985
Low Turns to Final
Jason Boehm - 2017/01/02 01:46:44 UTC

says the guy who's been choppered out, picked up by police, litterally landed in a prison, broken his neck, flown into powerlines, and these are just the things he's publicly posted videos off...
Yeah, he's probably withheld from us all the SERIOUS shit that's happened with him....
Here's Jason demonstrating just how safe and competent a pilot he is....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_tnONxeBMA

And then there's the other massively conceited bullshit artist and his great lie.....

post_id=382659 time=1453922704 user_id=2817
NMERider wrote:....
Well Cry'n Ryan,

I guess you better tell Quest Air, Wallaby, Flordia Ridge, et al to close their doors. I can't even begin to count the numbers of videos I've seen where they aero tow tandems and solos right up through the clouds or well within the restricted boundaries around clouds above 1,200' AGL in Class G airspace. For that matter why don't we contact the FAI and have Dustin Martin's distance record voided. I think it's pretty obvious that he and Jonny made dozens of cloud clearance violations during their flights. Let's not forget that virtually all of the East Coast comps involve extensive cloud clearance violations and during 2014, one pilot was very nearly killed when he was forced inside of a cloud by the gaggle beneath him all rising into the wispies at once and well above 5,000' MSL where the clearance below is 1,000'

If you and your fellow detractors would stop wearing your asses for hats maybe you'd come to some sort of realization that you are all so full of dung and double-standards that it defies credibility? Image Image Image

But I would expect nothing less for someone who committed an aerial assault against a paraglider that was too close for his comfort to the hang glider launch area at the South Side of the Mountain and slammed into the berm dislocating his shoulder then concocts the phantasmagorical story about how his shoulder dislocated during flight and that was why he crashed.
The list just goes on from there junior. Bring It! Image Image Image
Cheerio, Jono Image
And guess which Org member witnessed the entire crime and said nothing? I'll give you a hint. If you knew, you'd be in for a 'rouge' awakening. :D

At least in Jason's case he's merely self-righteous and conceited. In Cryin Ryan's case he dispenses falsehoods as gospel which may have been significant contributing factors to any number of crippling and fatal accidents.
Didn't he also personally train the individual(s) who were in charge of safety (among other things) at a certain aerobatics meet in which one pilot was needlessly killed, another pilot needlessly nearly killed and a smoke grenade fell from a glider? My view is that all of this was easily preventable had the meet organizers who Ryan allegedly trained simply followed the USHPA rule book. I guess Ryan kind of forgot that part in between bragging about how great he is and jacking himself off doing circus stunts on equipment for which it was never intended. :roll: :roll: :roll:
---
http://www.hanggliding.org/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=33936
ANSWERED: Why Will RRG Succeed if Insurance Failed?
2016/01/27 19:25:04 UTC
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

And guess which Org member witnessed the entire crime and said nothing?
Org member? POTM guy? Runs his mouth incessantly to put out lethal misinformation and is always conspicuously absent whenever legitimate issues are being pushed? 'Rouge'? I have no fuckin' clue.
At least in Jason's case he's merely self-righteous and conceited.
I'd go WAY beyond that. In reviewing:

http://www.hanggliding.org/viewtopic.php?t=13745
Good News vs Sad News

yesterday I was really motivated to hunt the little shit down, rip his throat out, and go on to deal with all his confederates.
In Cryin Ryan's case he dispenses falsehoods as gospel which may have been significant contributing factors to any number of crippling and fatal accidents.
MAY have been? WHENEVER one gets away with publishing fiction at odds with solid aeronautical theory one contributes to all subsequent related cripplings and killings.

And the social dynamics of the sport/culture are such that rotten information will inevitably corrupt related stuff that's solid. It will be defended, solid related information is always a threat to the crap and its proponents, there's a chain reaction / snowball effect that swings into gear, everything solid ends up going down the toilet.
Didn't he also personally train the individual(s) who were in charge of safety (among other things) at a certain aerobatics meet in which one pilot...
Tom Mayer.
...was needlessly killed, another pilot...
Bill Soderquist.
...needlessly nearly killed...
For want of a stomp test.
...jacking himself off doing circus stunts on equipment for which it was never intended.
Oh well, they're not intended to be tow launched either. And I'll bet there aren't many HGMA certification films showing pilots putting the birds through their paces with their hands on the downtubes at shoulder or ear height. So I guess pretty much anything we do is just a dice roll.

Gawd how I hate the motherfuckers who hijacked and destroyed this sport.
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

Low Turns to Final
Ryan Voight - 2017/01/02 05:28:19 UTC

You joined this forum in 2008. It probably wasn't long after that you started posting videos of your XC endeavors?
Why don't you start posting some of yours so all we muppets can see how to do these XC landings properly? Or hell, anybody else's?
In not-such-exact words, I'm pretty sure I warned you that it seemed like you were going to hurt yourself, and that you were pushing beyond your abilities.
Real bitch you didn't have anything to say to Zack Marzec, ain't it Ryan? Think of the relative bang for the buck you could've gotten. Yours Truly, on the other hand:
Tad Eareckson - 2013/01/22 05:21:02 UTC

http://www.chgpa.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=5659
Preflight people, please?
Danny Brotto - 2012/12/21 13:10:52 UTC

This is a cute video link...
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7395/13626862385_ae79ba296a_o.png
...posted on the ozreport.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZLTDPeB55ek

Is it just me or is the gal's helmet not buckled? The straps seem to be blowing in the wind. I'm impressed that it stayed on!
And if it hadn't? What are the probabilities that the:
- flight will terminate in a crash?
- helmet would:
-- come off in a crash?
-- be of any use in a crash?

And, of course, it's perfectly OK that neither of their helmets is a full face.
Preflight people!
1. The primary and "backup" releases are inaccessible pieces of shit with no load capacity.
2. The primary bridle is a skinny piece of shit designed to wrap at the bridle. In lockout simulations it does so over half the time.
3. The secondary bridle is a cheap overlength piece of shit with lotsa wrap potential.
4. If the secondary bridle wraps the glider driver has no means of releasing it.
5. The "backup" release isn't weak link protected. Consequently neither is the glider. And ditto on the tug.
6. The primary weak link is heavier than the tug's.
7. None of those Quest douchebags has a freaking clue as to the strengths of their weak links or even their purpose.
8. They're telling students that installing weak links on both ends of bridles doubles the towline tension required to blow them.
9. They're towing behind a tug that went out of control and killed a driver at Ridgely a year and a half ago and we still don't have a report.

This guy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-36aQ3Hg33c

is OK 'cause his full face helmet is buckled, right Danny? As long as he's done a proper preflight on his helmet it's perfectly OK for him to leave the wheels in the closet 'cause he's gonna be good to handle that instant deceleration he's highly likely to experience without them.

How 'bout Keith here...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7NurwKyyEE

He's good to run off the Henson ramp because he always preflights his suspension via a hang check with assistance prior to stepping on the ramp and never leaves his harness once he gets in it?
Bill Umstattd - 2012/12/22 01:49:56 UTC
Philadelphia

Dan,

Here's a much better video, if I may say:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AIQ-4gdLBs0
Same Industry Standard crap as above.
Kevin Carter - 2012/12/24 03:52:19 UTC

No helmet and going negative in a whip stall. Keepin it classy.
1. They've GOT helmets.
2. How 'bout the towing equipment, Kevin? People have died using and because of that crap.
3. Name some people who've had bad days because their helmets weren't buckled.
Matthew Graham - 2012/12/24 05:02:16 UTC
Takoma Park

What a bunch of freakin' yahoos! Florida Ridge has lost a future customer.
But your loyalty to the douchebags at Ridgely and Manquin will be undying - regardless of how many people their incompetence, negligence, and stupidity crash, mangle, and kill.
Danny Brotto - 2012/12/24 05:02:16 UTC

I know that I'm "old school"...
Yeah. Fly with whatever crap you feel like. Make sure that your brake lever is securely velcroed to the downtube, bent pin release is fully closed, and standard aerotow weak link isn't too fuzzed. As long as you've preflighted it you're good to go.
...but watching that just makes me sad.
Me too Danny. Keep up the good fight. No telling how many lives you could save by getting people to make sure their helmets are buckled.

Fuck you and the rest of all you CHPA/MHGA/Ridgely/Manquin wastes of space.
If you go back far enough, you'll see I tried to *help* you improve your landings.
Just you, Ryan? None of your products? No graduates of Shipley landing clinics or students of the Jim Keen-Intellect Rooney essays?
Your basic response was that you knew how to land fine, and didn't need help... you just weren't concentrating or just messed that one up. (over and over). Nothing impedes learning like "knowing"...
http://www.ushawks.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2095
Should we try a different way? Designwise....
Steve Corbin - 2015/09/02 22:26:04 UTC

Any un-biased observer should be able to see why wanna-be pilots find PG more attractive than HG. Standing around in the Andy Jackson Memorial International Airpark at a busy fly-in shows that a PG landing is a total non-event, while everyone stands up to watch HG's, piloted by "experts", come in to land. A good landing by a HG is greeted by cheers, an acknowledgement that landing one successfully is a demonstration not just of skill, but good luck as well.
On the topic of passing judgement, I think for the better part of a decade you have thought I'm judging and criticizing you... when all I ever wanted to do was wake up a pilot whom I foresaw a hazardous future.
See above, Ryan. From 2015/03/27 to 2016/06/29 fifteen US hang gliding fatalities - two of them pretty tight inside of your sphere of influence. Seems to me like your sense of priority is seriously fucked up.

All of Jonathan's medical level mishaps save one have been chicken-shit stuff. And the one that was seriously serious was a fluke precipitated by drag chute test flying. And NOBODY was whispering any relevant words of caution on that one.
In that time, you did break an ankle landing...
You can break an ankle just walking in that sorta crap. You can do a textbook precision no stepper and find yourself incapacitated for several weeks because your ankle got twisted as a consequence of something on which your foot came down. Ask me how I know. People have gotten significantly fucked up because of rodent modifications to LZs. This isn't stuff relevant to skill or technique / really worth talking about.
...and a while after that you crashed and broke your neck.
Drag chute.
This does not make me happy.
Meanwhile your old' foremost-expert-on-everything buddy got choppered off of Coronet Peak for the second commercial tandem thrill ride incident in the space of a bit over a decade. Good thing you're putting all this focus on Jonathan.
But it does make me right.
Yeah Ryan. Great call on the drag chute thing.

Great insight into the fundamental dishonesty of this motherfucker. The drag chute thing was a total fluke, wasn't part of any pattern, couldn't have been and wasn't predicted by anyone, needed several issues to line up just right to happen, wouldn't have happened with the benefit of two seconds worth of crystal ball insight. And here's Ryan exploiting it to enhance his image/reputation. Also lumping it in with all the garden variety foot landing stuff so one gets some great insight into ITS legitimacy.
I still see you posting videos where you get yourself into BAD BAD BAD situations, like those "death-glides" out of canyons where most say there's no LZ option, but you say you'll land up the hillside in the scrub.
You mean like?:

01-12616
http://c2.staticflickr.com/8/7322/13479596104_cc104ec18c_o.png
02-25223
http://c2.staticflickr.com/4/3710/13479593194_cb47aa67f4_o.png
03-50210
http://c2.staticflickr.com/8/7225/13479225645_7c632ac364_o.png
04-52922
http://c2.staticflickr.com/8/7235/13479330373_2d00773426_o.png

Get fucked, Ryan. Landing up one of those hillsides in the scrub might be a royal pain in the ass as far as extraction, getting the glider back on the car is concerned but a total nonissue from a safety standpoint. NOTHING easier than stopping a glider on a moderately steep uphill slope even with a substantial tailwind. But you probably wouldn't know that 'cause you've probably never landed a glider anywhere but in the middle of some primary Happy Acres putting green.
If someone like Zac Majors did that, I bet people would even give him shit for it... but people would at least know, if anyone can put the glider down safely in the toughest of spots, he's the guy.
Let's alter the spellings of the first and last names a little:

37-23223
http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3713/9655904048_89cce6423a_o.png

Fatally splattered at Quest maybe twenty seconds into a totally routine launch with initial conditions totally unremarkable. TO THIS DAY not one of you Establishment motherfuckers has so much as dropped a hint that he - or his driver - should've/could've been doing or using anything with the slightest variance from what was in play on that flight. No shortage of total clones going up now close to four and a half years later. So how 'bout we ease up on the speculative carnage regarding Jonathan's XC flights.
I mean no offense...
How do we know what you mean? We've caught you in one clear astronomical lie regarding what you can do to roll control a glider on the ground minus any torque input. So why should we put any credence in anything you say without video verification?
...but you are NOT that guy! When you come in to land at the grassy park LZ, everyone stops what they're doing to see how it will go.
Yeah? Cite some examples of LZs at which that's not the case with EVERYBODY. 'Cept of course for the tandem guys who always roll their landings in. Boooooring.
Just like the tandem landing described in the OP, actually!
The ones that always roll their landings in after never fucking up their Low Turns to Final?
When your landing turns out well, you shout and holler in excitement, as if you just won the lottery.
Like Steve Corbin has said with no one disagreeing... Major luck thing.
Watch those videos of Jason landing... see how elated he is with those fantastic landings?
Watch this video of Jason crabbing to stay centered behind the truck in a strong crosswind:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LI36s50m_lI

- à la John Woiwode 2005/07/07.

http://www.hanggliding.org/viewtopic.php?t=35129
Truck Towing

18-3003

Total fucking moron.
No. Because he always lands like that. Because he trained, practiced, and now expects that result, and accepts nothing less. No shouts of joy when I pour my cereal in my bowl... I know I can do it without spilling, I'm not surprised when it goes so well.
Funny we need to cite one single individual for this and not just pull a name out of a hat.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKwyv2HABKA
If you feel judged... it is not because of any shortcomings in SKILL (we're all still learning, and all always improving)...
I'm not. After over a quarter century of bonking landings after two hour flights because of imperfect flare timing I said "Fuck this. I'm not a total incompetent moron, there's nothing wrong with me as a pilot, there's something seriously wrong with this stupid stunt landing technique."
...but yes, your choices that seem to regularly bring you beyond your own limitations... that's a problem.
And if we spend all our time and energy working on Jonathan's imperfect flare timing and occasional ankle twists we don't need to address any catastrophic Shannon Moon, Joe Julik, Jesse Fulkersin, Yoko Isomoto, Ron Keinan, Tev Carrillos approach and landing issues.
Note that I'm not "judging" it as a problem... your local club and pilots know it, your doctors know it. You get all those views on your videos because it's frankly a case of "what did he survive this time".
That's obviously also why he scored u$hPa's 2015 Bettina Gray Photography Award - 'cause all of the amusing bonked landings that u$hPa wants to use to represent and sell the sport.
After a while I stopped trying to help you...
Amazing he's subsequently survived as long as he has without your contributions.
...but still tried to help others by- get this- essentially doing what this thread was all about!
And interesting that with all the thousands of individuals who have this stunt landing technique totally nailed you need to be sport's sole crusader for landing perfection.
I would point out things from your videos, where risk was higher than necessary, and ways exposure could be reduced, which in many cases would ALSO improve the quality of the flight, I might add.
Just post some videos of your own XC flights and injun country landings. That way it won't need to be anything personal about Jonathan.
Just as people here...
...in Jack's Living Room...
...are saying these low turns are unnecessary and shouldn't be tolerated. You yourself say report insurance liabilities to your Regional Director immediately.
Which is relevant to the issue of Jonathan's flare timing how?
I am sorry, that after all these years, you think I'm some guy who has just been judging you... Image
Hey people of varying ages... Remember five years ago when Jim Keen-Intellect Rooney forever solved everyone's landing problems?

http://ozreport.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=26379
Landings

A bit odd, dontchya think, that:
- all our landing problems don't actually seem all solved?
- nobody's posting any links or quoting him?
- he's not commenting on this discussion over there on the only glider forum shitty enough to still tolerate his presence?