landing

General discussion about the sport of hang gliding
Tad Eareckson

Re: landing

Post by Tad Eareckson »

Last year, a pilot hit one of these hidden clumps while prone and fractured vertebrae.
It would be SO nice if the beloved national organization were interested in and had the motivation for publicizing stuff like this - instead of just the opposite - so we could get better ideas of where our primary threats are coming from and how to best address them.

Lest I'm giving the impression that I'm rabidly opposed to crisp no-steppers under all circumstances... not by any means. But we need to recognize their downsides and figure out at what point we're gonna start mangling people more by practicing them than we'll save in situations in which there aren't great alternatives.
Christian Thoreson - 2004/10

Tall Grass and Large Wheels

One of the most important things about landing on your wheels is using proper technique. The idea is to treat the top of the grass as if it were the ground. As you are approaching the ground (top of grass), slow your glider down. It is similar to landing a small general aviation aircraft: Imagine the stall warning going off before you touch down.

As you fly into your landing field and get into ground effect, level off by slowly coming to trim, keeping your wheels about four inches above the ground (top of the grass) at all times. Slowly start pushing out, pushing out and pushing out, all the while keeping the wheels four inches above the ground (top of the grass). There will be backpressure and eventually the glider will settle to the ground at very low speed. Your arms should be almost fully extended at this time.

If the grass is tall, you can usually hold the bar out without it being torn out of your hands (the very slow airspeed is helpful).
So, granted that this guy may not have had wheels and being prone was probably not in his best interest on this one, do you know enough about the situation to offer an opinion on whether he could've stayed in good shape following Christian's model?
I have been reading this board for a couple months now.
Good. I mostly figured out who you were when you registered. Really like the avatar you use over at one of the other places. Feel free to bring it over here and liven up the scenery a little.
Much good info here.
Thanks much. I'd like to think that I left a little good info over at The Jack Show - amidst all the attacks, sinkings, and lockings. Because of an undelivered activation key I couldn't register using my own name and so was AeroTow.

I started out in:

http://www.hanggliding.org/viewtopic.php?t=11497
Aerotow release options?

if you wanna find and search me.

Delighted to have you here. Hope you post often and break up the monologue a bit. And bring a friend or two.
miguel

Post by miguel »

I have flown Yosemite once, so I am far from an expert. The lz is usually underwater in the spring. This spring followed an epic wet season, so the lz is very wet. Most new pilots get a briefing about the lz at launch. It is not visible from launch or the normal drive up to launch. When I flew there, I arrived at the lz with plenty of altitude and studied it. I saw a dry spot with little walking to the breakdown area. I hit it with a no stepper and had dry feet. Most pilots sight-see and come in low with wet results. At the time, flying was my religion, so hitting a spot was not a problem. I could not do that now. There is probably somewhere in that lz where a wheel landing is possible but flairing on the surface of the grass is the normal procedure.

I saw an accident report from the park administration that mentioned a hang glider, injuries and a helicopter ride but no name or details on how it happened.

The accident last year involved a pilot trying to stretch his glide to dry ground. He unexpectedly hit a hidden mound of dirt in the grass. He got a helicopter ride and some hospital time.

I do not have an avatar. I think the Retort assigns you an avatar if you do not specify one.

Is there a dummies style explanation on how your tow release works?
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

I have flown Yosemite once, so I am far from an expert.
I guess you're not really an expert until you've left in a chopper. That means next time you have a much better idea of what NOT to do.
At the time, flying was my religion, so hitting a spot was not a problem. I could not do that now.
Yeah, btdt.
The accident last year involved a pilot trying to stretch his glide to dry ground.
1982/03/28, Lily Pons, the big DC area training hill. Tried to cross a creek. Broke a downtube. A good instructor - Tom Haddon - set me straight. Land the glider when it wants to land and don't worry about what's below you.

Tow release...

I'm gonna assume you mean my full two point aerotow system.

It's basically pretty much like a VG system 'cept on the other side.

There's a gizmo up on the keel that's operated by a line that runs down the inside of the downtube to the basetube.

In my own setup there's a bungee stretched inside the basetube which powers the release. You pull a pin which allows the bungee to contract and it does the work for you. It's REALLY nice but not all that important. If you can't figure it out forget it - for the time being - and just think VG system.

Just pull the line that comes out (near the) bottom of the downtube.

That goes up to a pulley system - just like with the VG - which gives you a two to one mechanical advantage (not all that important either) to pull back a short barrel of a barrel release which uses a straight parachute pin.

That release is tensioned to the nose of the glider so it doesn't flop back and became inoperable in the absence of tow tension.

At the bottom on your shoulders is the secondary system (which can also be used as a stand-alone one point system).

In the event your Primary Bridle fails to make it through the tow ring there are secondary weak links at the bottom of the Primary Bridle and between the shoulder mounted releases which will probably fail under the jolt.

If that doesn't work there's a barrel release on your left shoulder and, if the situation is critical and time and control are at premiums, you have a trigger string in your teeth that you can use to blow a four-string (similar to a truck tow) release on your right shoulder still maintaining both hands on the basetube.

The weak links are all elements stitched together such that the stitching will fail at pretty precise values.

Is that enough to get you started?

Keep questions coming and I'll be happy to walk you through any rough spots.
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

Continued from:

http://www.kitestrings.org/post463.html#p463

http://ozreport.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=24096
Leakey, Tx and Pack Saddle video clip of flight
Al Hernandez - 2011/06/25 06:01:41 UTC

...Martin got 2:15 of air time and got up 2064 on first launch, During the landing had a bad flair and belly landing, broke left down tube on his falcon 145... no injuries.

Thanks to everyone in Leakey, Tx for a over all good time and safe flying.
Sure Al. Whatever you say.
video will be edited by Sunday
I can hardly wait!
Zack C
Site Admin

Post by Zack C »

I made my recent trip to Lookout with someone who was trained by Joe Greblo. We talked about him a bit on the drive and I must say the more I hear about him the more I like him.

I previously expressed reluctance to take advantage of the Optional Landing Task (OLT) in obtaining my H4 as it seemed to be something USHPA frowned on, but I learned that Greblo and his instructors use this task instead of spots when issuing ratings. Considering the number of pilots that obtain ratings in that region, and the degree to which Greblo is respected as an instructor, I no longer feel my rating will be less valid if I use the OLT.

I'm glad at least one high-profile instructor is progressive enough to shun spots.

Zack
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

Jeez... I don't think I ever once in my flying career even had to flash a card to pilots for anything - just when ratings were needed for state, national park sorta stuff.

Trust me, there's no centralized blacklist keeping track of The Unclean who used the strip option.

Everybody and his dog DESPISES those ten-miles-worse-than-useless goddam Three and Four spots. Nobody can do three in a row anyway and you're more likely to get flattened by a piano falling out of a cargo plane than you are to do them WHILE you're being observed.

Twenty-five feet for a Four? Less than a wingspan? Those requirements date back to standard Rogallos when you could win an XC contest by flying fifty feet.

I told a local Observer when we were up at Hyner View for a fly-in that I wanted to get my Four spots signed off.

Set up a circle that evening, nailed it.

Took an early morning flight the next day when he was in the LZ, nailed it.

Sonuvabitch told me he wouldn't count it because I hadn't declared it for that flight. Fuck that bullshit.

I think if you blasted your way into USHGA headquarters with an assault rifle and deleted spot landing requirements from their hard drive people would set up and break down your glider and drive free retrieval for you for the rest of your life. I know I would have.
Chuck Rebert - 1984/02
Portola Valley, California

Some aspects of the rating system are frustrating and discouraging, and could be responsible for dropouts. I think, especially, of the spot landing requirements for Intermediate and Advanced ratings. There are some individuals for whom the advanced task is nearly impossible under the high pressure of a test, whereas they can consistently hit spots when flying leisurely.

The spot landing requirements should be revised for several reasons. One, the Advanced requirement is unrealistic. There is probably no circumstance where such a tight landing would be imperative. Two, the task is not necessarily a valid indication of pilot skill. Certainly, one who can consistently land in a fifty foot diameter circle is a skilled pilot, but not being able to do that three times in a row under observation does not necessarily indicate a poor pilot. Some people just do not test well. Three, the requirement which is designed to promote safe landings, is often counterproductive. I've seen pilots do all sorts of unsafe maneuvers to hit a spot.

I recommend that a point system be adopted for the landing requirements for intermediate and advanced pilots, as follows. Intermediate applicants must achieve fifty landing points and Advanced applicants an additional fifty. Landing with good form within a fifty foot radius on declared flights provides five points, with an additional five for landing within the central twenty-five foot radius. Landing outside the fifty foot radius on a declared flight results in the subtraction of five points. In the case of landings within the fifty foot radius circle without good form, one to eight points shall be assigned at the discretion of the Observer. A point balance can be easily logged in any checkbook register. This modification of the landing task requirement will bring joy to many current pilots, and remove an obstacle that may appear too difficult for many beginners, discouraging them in their pursuit of flight.
Paul Gazis - 1990/09
Sunnyvale, California

I am an Intermediate pilot, an Observer, and have been flying for almost five years, during which time I have accumulated 200 hours of airtime. This spring I quit going for my Hang IV rating.

The reason for this decision was simple. According to my logbook, I flew 152 declared spot landing attempts during 1988 and 1989. Of these 152 flights, I was able to beg Observers to watch eight.

That's right, eight flights. For the remaining 144 flights--at Dunlap, Ed Levin, Elk, Hull, Elsinore, Kagel, McClellen, McClure, Tamalpais, Peavine, and Slide--no Observer was willing to watch me, or worse, the Observer who promised to watch me did not. On one epic occasion at Kagel, I lined up no fewer than THREE Observers for each flight, not one of whom could be found after I was on the ground.

Eight flights out of 152 is a terrible ratio, and I feel that it reflects badly on the Pilot Proficiency Program. Perhaps the fault lies with me--perhaps I am such a vile person that no one wants anything to do with me--but I feel that much of the fault lies with the Observers. There are a few exceptions, but most Observers cannot be troubled to watch someone they do not know.

I will keep making spot landings because it's a skill that comes in handy. I will retain my own Observer appointment, for a while at least, to try to spare other pilots the frustration that I have gone through. But I will never declare another task. I feel that the Pilot Proficiency Program has become a test of one's proficiency at begging for favors, and this is not a skill I wish to learn. I would much rather learn to fly.
Joe Greblo - 1998/08

Saddled With Tradition

Change is difficult, sometimes scary, especially when it is preceded by decades of history. It's not surprising that we often resist change. We've seen this many times in hang gliding; the need to hold on to those things that we think have served us well. Such was the case with spot landings and figure-8 and S-turn landing approaches. How dare anyone suggest that we promote landing on a 200-foot line instead of a target, or perform a conventional aircraft landing approach (downwind-base-final)!

Fortunately, some of us embrace change. The Pat Denevans and the Greg DeWolfs are there to give us a tug whenever we get bogged down with old-fashioned techniques that haven't kept up with other technological changes in our sport.
Yeah, I know, we got towing now so a bunch of consecutive high flights in short order is no BFD but I have few happy memories of asshole Observers and that kinda crap.
I made my recent trip to Lookout with someone who was trained by Joe Greblo. We talked about him a bit on the drive and I must say the more I hear about him the more I like him.

I'm glad at least one high-profile instructor is progressive enough to shun spots.
Yeah, I just wish he were a little more vocal and obnoxious about some of these issues.

So... Did the topic of hang checks come up? (Feel free to respond in a different thread.)
Zack C
Site Admin

Post by Zack C »

Tad Eareckson wrote:So... Did the topic of hang checks come up?
Briefly...he said he believes Joe teaches lift-and-tug now and always taught hook-in checks of some form (at least as long as he knew him).

I thought you might find this post interesting if you didn't see it...another bad landing/broken humerus account:
http://www.hanggliding.org/viewtopic.php?p=245182
Not much detail since it wasn't the point of the post/thread.

Zack
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

Thanks, I hadn't checked on that thread for a while.
Bad landing, broken humerus. How much more detail do we really need?
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

http://www.hanggliding.org/viewtopic.php?t=22567
ever flared to much :)
Steve Corbin - 2011/07/17 16:31:34 UTC
Crestline

About ten or eleven years ago I had an Axis 13. The last time it flew I flared too early, or perhaps a small gust or surge of the wind came at the same time I flared.

I went up what felt like fifteen feet, but was probably less. I of course held the flare, and the glider came down hard on the control bar.

Bye bye keel. Hello new car rack.
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tkElZMhpmp0
Tormod Helgesen - 2011/08/07
Oslo

The initial question was how to avoid the scenario from the video.

Fly fast and stay prone with full roll and pitch control until you're through the wind gradient, there's always plenty time to get on the uprights after you're through. Just remember to bleed of most of the speed before you try to grab the uprights, if too fast the upright is behind you and difficult to find and also the chance of creating a unwanted turn is greater with higher speed.

When I see somebody get upright early (this is one of the earliest I've seen) I get the feeling that they are panicking, this is of course not always the case, but it doesn't look right to me.