Tad Eareckson

Re: landing

Post by Tad Eareckson »

http://www.hanggliding.org/viewtopic.php?t=35737
repetitive landings in turbulent areas continued from another thread
NMERider - 2017/11/30 20:29:55 UTC

Now here's the sad part:
Whole fuckin' sport's a sad part.
There are a lot of Woody Valley drogues (same as the Metamorfosi) in WV harnesses that pilots have never used. I have...
Had.
...a friend...
...Ron Keinan...
...who to my knowledge never used a drogue.
And now never will.
He tried to land his topless glider in a modest size field in little to nil wind.
The wind was ENE and was significant enough to make a landing in that direction real advisable.
Because he did not utilize his drogue, he made a shallow approach presumably to avoid an overshoot. That shallow approach resulted in him clipping the top of a tree.
How 'bout:

Because he made a crappy approach and squandered the way more than adequate bit of altitude he had upon arrival he majorly clipped a treetop at the beginning of final and got catastrophically nosed in.
His glider lobbed into the soft desert dirt and his head got badly jolted from the impact resulting in a coma and lasting TBI. A reasonable amount of practice and use of his adequate, WV drogue would have given him the option of making a steeper approach without the risk of an overshoot.
He HAD the option of making a steeper approach with zero risk of overshoot and squandered it.
This is a classic example of why I have been pushing for a better drogue and encouraging pilots to buy and use them.
It's a real crappy one.

Legitimate uses of a drag chute would be to:
- more safely use a marginal length runway
- deal with a:
-- wind shift or unanticipated direction
-- surprise downhill situation
- practice for such situations

It should NOT be used a crutch to compensate for lack of competence in fundamental airmanship.

I couldn't find any relevant rules for the SCFR but its an XC and let's take a look at u$hPa's official crap on relevant qualifications and bear in mind Davis's characterization...

http://ozreport.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=49667
Ron Keinan
Davis Straub - 2016/09/20 01:45:44 UTC

The task committee put the pilots in a dangerous area.
...of the relevant geography. Dangerous - even for pilots who are SUPPOSED TO BE qualified to handle it.
The United States Hang Gliding and Paragliding Association, Inc. - 2017/03/04
Standard Operating Procedure
12. Rating System
02. Pilot Proficiency System
11. Hang Gliding Special Skill Endorsements
-B. Special Skills attainable by Intermediate and above (H3-H5).

02. Turbulence (TUR):
Demonstrates controlled and un-panicked flight in conditions requiring quick, deliberate, substantial, and correct control application.

03. Restricted Landing Field (RLF):
Demonstrates a landing using a downwind leg, base leg and a final leg approach where the entire base leg, final and landing occur within a 300' square.

4. Cross Country (XC):
-a. Must hold 2 and 3 above.
-b. Demonstrate ability to recognize a safe landing area from the air and determine and execute a safe approach and landing, accounting for wind direction, rotors, obstacles, power lines, ground slope, vegetation, etc.
You need to be a competent Three and competent at:

- handling:

-- turbulence - and if you can't do that much you're not even a competent Two

-- restricted landing fields - and that one had more than twice the RLF specified runway length nicely lined up with a smooth headwind with pretty much zilch in the way of approach obstructions

- sizing up landing situations on the fly and executing

And he totally screwed the pooches in three of the five factors in play. He shouldn't have been in that situation to begin with and the solution is not to give him a drag chute crutch to squeak him through. It's to stand the assholes who signed his tickets up against a fuckin' wall.

And I would submit that if one can't safely handle those Three level requirements one REALLY can't safely handle a drag chute.

- Throw that thing and you've just decertified your glider. It no longer has the glide and speed ranges for which it was designed.

- There's no DC Special Skill in the u$hPa SOPs.

-- Thus there's no relevant training covered and qualification recognized by douchebag organization that mandates everything else we can, must, can't do in the sport. And if the drag chute IS a valuable tool for keeping people alive and u$hPa doesn't recognize it in their SOPs and prescribe training and standards then there's pretty much zilch for which they can be considered legitimate. (Big surprise.)

-- Drag chute issues have killed people who would've been OK otherwise. Hell, you yourself half killed yourself with and because of one in just a practice situation and environment.

Demanding approach and landing competency is totally nonexistent in US hang gliding. It's virtually impossible to find examples of good RLF approaches from anywhere on the planet. They're obviously not being taught anywhere - what IS being taught is to never do anything remotely resembling one - and I'm sure to get one you just pay the rating official a couple hundred bucks.

And note that a Two is supposed to be able to land consistently within a hundred feet of a designated target. This one was three hundred feet wide and seven hundred feet long and he was well set up for it and totally missed.
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

The United States Hang Gliding and Paragliding Association, Inc. - 2017/03/04
Standard Operating Procedure
12. Rating System
02. Pilot Proficiency System
07. Novice Hang Gliding Rating (H2)
-B. Novice Rating - Required Witnessed Tasks
iv. Landing
-a. Consider air density (as listed above in launches)
-b. Wind direction awareness and how wind affects landing. Wind direction indicators other than the wind sock.
-c. Approach.
---i. Watch for man-made objects. Lines in the field mean fences, ditches or power lines. Assume all roads have power lines.
--ii. Setup procedures for long straight approach.
-iii. Discuss approach options and preferred approaches with locals.
--iv. Extra speed for handling gradient and turbulence.
---v. Review crosswind landing techniques.
--vi. Tree landing techniques.
-vii. Avoidance of obvious crop fields.
--ii. Setup procedures for long straight approach.
Can't emphasize that enough. Keep it level from two hundred feet down no matter what. And no touching anywhere on the first half of the runway. You don't wanna risk clipping that fence on the downwind end.
-iii. Discuss approach options and preferred approaches with locals.
Thought we covered that already - long and straight. What's left to discuss with anybody?
--iv. Extra speed for handling gradient and turbulence.
Every bit you can get - in your upright only harness with your hands on the control tubes at shoulder or ear height.
---v. Review crosswind landing techniques.
Any chance we could turn it into the wind at ten feet? Just kidding.
--vi. Tree landing techniques.
How could we POSSIBLY hit any trees? At two hundred feet we aimed the glider at the old Frisbee in the middle of the LZ and kept it straight and level.
-vii. Avoidance of obvious crop fields.
But if you're at or below two hundred feet keep it straight and level, treat the tops like the surface, execute your the flare you've practiced to perfectly time. You'll be fine. (Or you might end up like Paul Vernon who took four NFL careers in the space of a quarter second in that wheat field Highland Aerosports taught him how to safely land in.)

http://ozreport.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=25321
Stop the Stupids at the USHPA BOD meeting
Mark G. Forbes - 2011/09/29 02:26:23 UTC

We can establish rules which we think will improve pilot safety, but our attorney is right. USHPA is not in the business of keeping pilots "safe" and it can't be. Stepping into that morass is a recipe for extinction of our association. I wish it were not so, but it is. We don't sell equipment, we don't offer instruction, and we don't assure pilots that they'll be safe.
But that doesn't give you a nanosecond's worth of pause in telling everybody how they must and mustn't train and fly their gliders, does it - asshole?
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

NMERider - 2017/11/27 07:28:43 UTC

The single most significant aspect of an effective and reliable drogue is to get the glider on the ground as quickly as possible without picking up excess airspeed.
Disagree. The purpose of a drag chute in fixed wing aviation get the plane stopped without burning up a lot of runway - and/or brake padding.
The trouble comes when I am unable to dive down to the deck and land fast enough before the next lift cycle kicks off. This is where a good drogue can be a godsend.
So where are all the incident reports, posts, videos on people getting burned 'cause they weren't using drag chutes? All of us all around the planet are seeking out the most violent thermal conditions available for our recreational and comp flying. And I'd hazard a rough estimate that zero percent of us are using drag chutes. And even fewer for the purpose of diving down several hundred feet to time their landings with sink/stable cycles. Who's typing from his hospital room with one hand, "Damn! If only..."?
I deployed my drogue and stuffed the bar. I was able to descend very quickly without over-speeding the glider...
What's...

20-03313
http://c2.staticflickr.com/2/1566/25661595340_b645e8bd6d_o.png

...over-speeding the glider?
....and getting trashed in the turbulence higher up. Once I got low I just picked a spot...
Why? Why not just fly the glider until it picks a spot? I was always fond of that approach. (Glider was too - win/win.)
...on the tarmac and landed with ease.

The idea is to descend quickly in a controlled fashion without picking up much speed. By keeping the glider's angle of attack low and pointing the nose down, when a gradient or shadow is encountered it's not that big a deal.
With or without a drag chute.
The pilots I know who have adapted to using the 6-panel model that Dustin sells have been extremely happy with the glide path control they now have at their fingertips.
I was pretty much always more than happy with the glide path control I had on my unmodified HPAT 158. And the times I was less than happy occurred when I wanted (or needed) a flatter glide.
It's about glide path control.
I never in my flying career felt any need for what you're describing. If the LZ - or any nearby turf - were working I'd work it until there was nothing left to work and I was too low to fuck around any more. The one time I can remember when the sock and streamers were all over the place I failed to understand what was going on but I'm not sure it would've made any difference if I had. I couldn't have stayed up. Did a textbook u$hPa final skim, the glider went sideways and dumped from six inches off the turf, the eight inch Finsterwalders didn't help me, trashed a downtube (my last). And I thought at the time I'd have been OK if I'd stayed prone and bellied in. And there'd been a substantial dust devil making things interesting in the LZ (Ridgely) at that point.
It's not a set of brakes like on a car.
I dunno. It's dispersing your energy and slowing you down.
The important thing is to be able to glide down steeply without gaining too much airspeed.
For me the important thing was to be rolling out onto final with lotsa speed just inside the downwind treeline.
There is tremendous value and safety in being able to do this.
Then we need to see some incidents in which gliders doing everything reasonably right crashed for want of drag chutes.
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

NMERider - 2017/11/27 20:44:48 UTC

Getting turned downwind or cartwheeling in has been fatal or disastrous to many pilots.
Slow ones - who might not necessarily fit the definition of pilot anyway.
I was taught to run out my landings in high surface turbulence in order to maintain lateral control.
You mean the way most foot landers do instinctively before they've been trained to work on doing it "properly"?
It works well when I do it and I break downtubes when I decide to look cool and flare the glider.
http://www.hanggliding.org/viewtopic.php?t=26854
Skids versus wheels
Andrew Stakhov - 2012/08/11 13:52:35 UTC

So I just came back from flying in Austria (awesome place btw). Stark difference I noticed is a large chunk of pilots choose to fly with skids instead of wheels. Conversations I had with pilots they say they actually work better in certain situations as they don't get plugged up like smaller wheels. Even larger heavier Atosses were all flying with skids. I was curious why they consistently chose to land on skids on those expensive machines and they were saying that it's just not worth the risk of a mistimed flare or wing hitting the ground... And those are all carbon frames etc.
So, loose VG and running the landing in high surface turbulence work well for me regardless of whether I'm using drag augmentation. I still like to get my feet planted ASAP. The longer I linger near the ground but not on the ground the more vulnerable I become.
You're vulnerable when you're near the ground and SLOW.
NMERider - 2017/11/28 17:36:27 UTC

Now contact Dustin, buy a drogue and learn to use it effectively.
During which time you'll NOT be learning and/or staying current on...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4i19DbYn878

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aH8XXLaK2UI

http://vimeo.com/226578935

...RLF approaches.
Enjoy expanded flying options and safer margins. Image
Without the insane risk of touching down anywhere in the FIRST half of the runway.
NMERider - 2017/11/29 02:54:45 UTC

By providing pilots with unparalleled ability to get their gliders down into places they might otherwise overshoot and crash the sport becomes safer and more fun.
1. As per above, this culture shoots for touchdown in the MIDDLE of the runway. Just like damn near everything else in conventional aviation the "can't use runway behind you" adage has no relevance whatsoever. Suggest otherwise and stand by for the shit hurling and expect no help whatsoever from any Jack Show Members In Good Standing. But spot landings are nothing but cool. Until we get this idiot fucking sport to recognize Runway Half One as valuable estate the drag chute is mostly another reason for not doing so.

2. Yes, that's THE justification for a drag chute. But should we be using / depending on drag chutes to land in places we might otherwise overshoot? Is that making the sport safer and more fun? My take is that we most assuredly SHOULDN'T and it isn't. We should only be bringing drag chutes into advantageous play when we've seriously fucked up or are really pushing the envelope for a real significant XC payoff. Or maybe some combination of the two.

38-4501
http://c1.staticflickr.com/1/717/22534744079_b8ae539b3b_o.png

You've got the experience, airtime, currency, skill to pull something like that off successfully once in a while but it's a pretty safe bet that if you did something like that on a regular basis you wouldn't be doing it for very long. And times thirty for your garden variety weekender.

And I'd like to know what percentage of the folk who enter this sport survive their flare timing perfecting training and practice long enough to reach the point at which they're bored shitless thermalling in the vicinity of the site for a couple hours and landing in the primary. I suspect it's a low single digit figure and would be further reduced minus peer pressure. I made XC efforts for a number of years and then decided that landing out wasn't worth all the costs.
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

Robert Moore - 2017/11/29 16:29:02 UTC

Some folks get very involved in promotion of specific HG equipment, due to experiences of their own, and others. For example (and as you know) I've been very vocal in helmet safety promotion, and in Kali helmets in particular. My motivation? I don't like seeing my fellow pilots severely injured by ineffective equipment. I don't think you're an "imbecile" because you use a Lubin, but we will disagree on helmet choices.

I'll bet Jon feels the same way about drogues. It doesn't mean you can't have a different opinion about your choice in drogues - if you like yours, fine. I'm not saying your feelings about your drogue are wrong - it it's been working for you, that's great.

Does Jon's extensive experience using and testing drogues make him an expert? Does that experience give him the right to an opinion, and to share that opinion? I think he's as close to an expert on drogues as we have in the HG pilot community, and his opinions on the subject should be considered legitimate.
Some folks get very involved in promotion of specific HG equipment...
Since u$hPa, the manufacturers, schools, instructors, meet heads won't do shit in any positive directions.
...due to experiences of their own, and others.
Why should anybody's experience be a factor in this game?
For example (and as you know) I've been very vocal in helmet safety promotion, and in Kali helmets in particular.
Based on what? Do you have the slightest scrap of data from hang glider crashes to justify advocating their use over anything else?
My motivation? I don't like seeing my fellow pilots severely injured by ineffective equipment.
- How 'bout killed? That OK? (I'm assuming it is 'cause I don't hear you doing anything after any of the fatals that happen left and right in this game.)

- You don't get severely injured BY ineffective equipment. You may crash BECAUSE OF ineffective equipment or sustain more serious injuries than you might have otherwise with effective equipment. But basically what you're getting severely injured by is the ground.
I don't think you're an "imbecile" because you use a Lubin, but we will disagree on helmet choices.
Hang gliding helmets are bullshit. They're all tradeoffs and a quality or feature that might save you in one situation might kill you in another. Pick whatever you feel like and then put your efforts into staying out of situations in which a helmet might come into play.

And now that I think about it... Have we ever had a single hang glider crash survivor walk away smelling like a rose and proclaim, "Boy am I glad I was wearing a Brand X helmet. Anything less and two thirds of my IQ would've just vaporized!"? People like Paul Vernon, Bob Buxton, Ron Keinan get their brains mushed and there's never any discussion about helmets 'cause even in this sport there's enough vestigial common sense for people to instinctively understand that no helmet would've been likely to make enough of a difference to be worth talking about.
I'll bet Jon feels the same way about drogues.
A drag chute can be used / brought into play every flight and you can predict what it will do pretty well. It also might save you in one situation and kill you in another. A lot like glider design in which there's a performance/handling tradeoff.
It doesn't mean you can't have a different opinion about your choice in drogues - if you like yours, fine.
Fuck different opinions about choices in drogues. Drogues don't give rats' asses about opinions. They create drag and perform in predictable manners.
I'm not saying your feelings about your drogue are wrong - it it's been working for you, that's great.
If they're feelings they're wrong by definition. And if a drag chute has been working for one person it'll also work for anybody else.
Does Jon's extensive experience using and testing drogues make him an expert?
Fuck experience and experts. All we need to know about is the testing and its results.
Does that experience give him the right to an opinion, and to share that opinion?
No. That experience gives him the right to share his findings.
I think he's as close to an expert on drogues as we have in the HG pilot community...
And until 2013/02/02 everybody thought that Jim Keen-Intellect Rooney was as close to being an expert on aerotow weak links as we had in the HG pilot community. Outside of the HG pilot COMMUNITY - not so much.
...and his opinions on the subject should be considered legitimate.
Any opinions on any subject should be considered total crap. We don't certify aeronautical equipment based on opinions.
NMERider - 2017/11/29 17:22:05 UTC

I currently don't earn one penny from the sale of the new FFE drogue that's in production. I have no stake in the deal. It's strictly between Rotor Harness USA (Dustin) and FFE. I want to see pilots using safe and effective drogues so I can have more HGs to fly X/C with and not have to rely on going X/C almost exclusively with PGs. Apparently all this effort and concern for safety makes me a despicable and deplorable character in one pilot's mind. Very sad.
Join the club. 'Cept Yours Truly was (and is) a despicable and deplorable character in all pilots' minds. Which I take as a compliment because hang gliding has virtually no pilots who are actual pilots with any actual character.
NMERider - 2017/11/30 03:57:54 UTC

What I care about is getting a 3:1 glide angle at 38MPH with unfettered control over the glider in every aspect of flight.
'Cept glide performance and sink rate. But what the hell.
With the new FFE drogue my Sport 2 155 or T2C 144 turn into gliders that handle the same but come out of the sky like a Falcon will do.
Yep. And with an even better drag chute you can come out of the sky like a 1972 standard.
Even my Falcon when equipped with a new FFE drogue becomes a much better RLF glider.
So there's even less call to develop RLF skill proficiency.
NMERider - 2017/11/30 03:57:54 UTC

So I'm glad you asked these question because it helps me help all the other pilots who are more interested in their personal safety and flying pleasure extract the most from each from their soaring experiences.
Isn't coming done with a drag chute pretty much of the opposite of a soaring experience?
It's unfortunate that some pilots become so brand-loyal that when their favorite manufacturer sells a product that is defective or unsafe they are reluctant to call or write the that manufacturer and say, "Hey. This product you sold me is giving me grief. What's up with that?".
It's got a much longer track record than anything else out there and we don't like test pilots.
Unfortunately we often allow our loyalties obscure our vision and by looking at our gear through a filter of blind devotion to a brand or to an individual we may either deprive ourselves of a better experience or even place ourselves in harm's way.
http://www.hanggliding.org/viewtopic.php?t=16265
weaklinks
Kinsley Sykes - 2010/03/18 19:42:19 UTC

In the old threads there was a lot of info from a guy named Tad. Tad had a very strong opinion on weak link strength and it was a lot higher than most folks care for. I'd focus carefully on what folks who tow a lot have to say. Or Jim Rooney who is an excellent tug pilot. I tow with the "park provided" weak links. I think they are 130 pound Greenspot.
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-bRrpHNa68iY/UQ6Pv9gRZyI/AAAAAAAAjTg/Hc22bx5122Q/s2048/20943781_BG1.jpg
There comes a point where this turns into a moral and ethical issue.
Nah, that point is there IMMEDIATELY when some motherfucker manufactures, endorses, fails to speak out against dangerous, defective crap in circulation ANYWHERE.
Sport 2 135, 155 and 175 Owner / Service Manual

The Sport 2 has been designed for foot launched soaring flight. It has not been designed to be motorized, tethered, or towed.
But...

http://ozreport.com/pub/images/fingerlakesaccident2.jpg
http://ozreport.com/pub/images/fingerlakesaccident3.jpg

http://ozreport.com/pub/fingerlakesaccident.shtml
Fingerlakes accident
Davis Straub - 2004/09/05

I was flying a Wills Wing Sport 2 demo glider provided by Rob Kells at the National Fly-In.
I was flying the Wills Wing Sport 2 with a double V- bridle with both a shoulder and keel attachment. The shoulder attachment is my normal Pro V-bridle with a barrel release (found at any flight park). I normally just tow with this attachment. I rarely use a bridle attached to the keel, as I find that I can handle/tow any glider just towing off my shoulders.

The second V bridle goes from the center of my shoulder bridle and to the release attached to the keel. It is released using a bicycle brake handle and cable release that Rob Kells had attached to the keel and right downtube.
Rob supplies the glider, the easily reachable Industry Standard crap release with a well documented history of killing people, and puts him on an unstable cart.

As difficult as this is we need to forget the fact that it was Davis getting his fucking face rearranged and note that neither Rob nor any of his Wills Wing colleagues ever lifted a single goddam finger to address any of the relevant issues. So fast-forward to a bit over a decade later and we get another Wills Wing product...

KSNV-CNN-1-1916-c
http://c2.staticflickr.com/6/5788/23461251751_e98b9c7500_o.png

...not designed to be motorized, tethered, or splattered all over the desert with its total crap tow "system" and...

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7597/16975005972_c450d2cdda_o.png

...two passengers and not a single finger lifted after that one either. (And do note the Wills Wing wheel extension configuration over which the bridle snagged a bit prior to impact and try and find a Wills Wing advisory on the issue.)
I personally choose to do what right for the greatest number of peers in this sport as well as for myself.
What's that mean? Depending on one's concept of peers in this sport you may not have any. You fly your brains out XC in the LA basin where XC landing options tend to totally suck. Name some other people who do what you do where you do it. And of that subgroup name some who need and are going to use a drag chute to dive several hundred feet to a landing option to sync their arrivals with stable sink cycles.
There are hang glider products and parts that I have discovered to be defective and were likely to result in serious accidents.
LIKELY?

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-bRrpHNa68iY/UQ6Pv9gRZyI/AAAAAAAAjTg/Hc22bx5122Q/s2048/20943781_BG1.jpg
http://c2.staticflickr.com/8/7077/27082298482_cda1aba01b_o.png
WESH2-05

And that's just the last two fatalities at Quest - both professional pilots by the way.
In every case I have approached the manufacturer or distributor with my data or evidence.
Steve Kinsley - 1996/05/09 15:50

Personal opinion. While I don't know the circumstances of Frank's death and I am not an awesome tow type dude, I think tow releases, all of them, stink on ice. Reason: You need two hands to drive a hang glider. You 'specially need two hands if it starts to turn on tow. If you let go to release, the glider can almost instantly assume a radical attitude. We need a release that is held in the mouth. A clothespin. Open your mouth and you're off.
Gone to any release manufacturers and told them the crap they sell for releases stinks on ice? 'Cause pretty much nothing has changed in the US over the course of decades.
It takes moral character to do this.
Well, if you have some that sure as hell takes you out of any significant hang gliding peer groups.
In life this is often referred to as having a spine or as having a functioning set of male reproductive organs.
I only have half a set of the latter. And the former isn't much to write home about either.
I'm confident that in the best case you've read about this once or twice and fancied yourself as having been similarly endowed.
OP was apparently very well endowed (if you listened to him) but look where he is now.
NMERider - 2017/11/30 20:29:55 UTC

It's no secret that there are HG pilots who dispense advice as though were experts with personal knowledge of their own experiences when in fact they are merely pretending to know and embellishing their actual experiences.
What? Outright obvious undeniable lying doesn't count?
Anyone who fails to recognize this and disregard such fallacious reporting is looking at winning their own personal Darwin Award.
Yes. The whole fuckin' sport is going extinct. It's never had zilch in the way of moral character and the less it gets the less it gets.
I have been around this sport since 1973 and could write a very long article about how pilots have been killed or crippled due to misinformation and misconceptions.
And I have no doubt whatsoever that u$hPa would be more than happy to publish it in the magazine and promote and reference it almost as much as they do the 1998/09 Mike Meier "Why Can't We Get A Handle On This Safety Thing?" article. u$hPa's world famous in the spine and male reproductive organs departments and would leap at such an opportunity to start getting this sport on the right track. But failing that maybe the Jack, Davis, Grebloville, Bob Shows.

Or you could publish it here where only the choir, insurance companies, a couple of u$hPa operatives would read it.
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

http://www.hanggliding.org/viewtopic.php?t=34930
Injured pilot needs help
Tom Galvin - 2016/11/26 04:04:00 UTC

http://www.gofundme.com/joe-stearns-recovery-fund
Fundraiser for Joseph Stearn by John Gallagher : Joe Stearn's Recovery Fund
Joe Stearn is a young man from western MA that learned to hang glide a few years ago. His love of flying and his good and positive nature made him a great addition to the New England flying community.

On Sunday, November 13th, after a long day of volunteering to make a flying site safer to fly, Joe enjoyed a 1.5 hour flight off the mountain. Unfortunately, Joe crashed on landing and broke a few vertebrae in his back and received a few cuts and bruises. After a med flight and a few days in hospital, Joe was released sporting a new back brace. Now he needs time to heal before he returns to his work as a roaster at the Barrington Coffee Roasting Company.

Please join me with a contribution to Joe's recovery fund that will help him with lost wages, medical expenses and repair of his glider. This week is a time that we gather with friends and family to give thanks for all that is good in our lives. Please give a little something to this great guy and help him through a difficult and painful period in his life.

2016/11/26 04:24:34 UTC - 3 thumbs up - NMERider
NMERider - 2016/11/26 04:35:23 UTC

Joseph is also an active Org contributor along with being one heckofagood guy. Please help a brutha out!

The happy portion of his fateful flight went like this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZuo-ansYGg

The unhappy portion went almost identically to the accident when I fractured a couple of vertebrae in my neck nearly three years ago. Hint: Don't do base leg to final low to the ground unless you are in 100% Top Gun condition to be doing something like that. If you know you are fatigued then give yourself lots of room for error when landing. There have been plenty of similar accidents in HG as well as GA flying.
Joseph is also an active Org contributor...
Not much of a...

http://www.hanggliding.org/viewtopic.php?t=27217
Bad Launch!
NMERider - 2012/09/25 14:21:38 UTC

But what we have in excess here on the Org is generally referred to as a mutual masturbation society. That's where pilots get together and sit around and just jack each other off. That's what I see here in spades.
...Kite Strings participant.
...along with being one heckofagood guy.
Not enough of a heckofagood guy to have included the only part of his video of any significant relevant value.
Please help a brutha out!

The happy...
...and pretty much useless...
...portion of his fateful flight went like this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZuo-ansYGg
And let's do the stills...

01-00000
- 01 - chronological order
- -0 - minutes
- 00 - seconds
- 00 - frame (30 fps)

01-00000
http://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4647/38500532374_3aca120eb0_o.png
02-00704
http://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4726/38500531544_fb22c3d93d_o.png
03-00829
http://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4738/38500531124_be7d7879fd_o.png
04-00920
http://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4636/38500530294_d7592f95a4_o.png
05-01214
http://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4681/38500529924_02219ef97b_o.png
06-02126
http://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4736/38500529674_01f3362bfe_o.png
07-02305
http://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4639/38500529254_89d5e3bf07_o.png
08-02620
http://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4734/38500529024_1a75f8f93a_o.png
09-04128
http://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4634/38500527484_462db999c9_o.png
10-05016
http://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4690/38500526564_5c34b8e6a9_o.png
11-12222
http://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4594/38500525694_1da63c986d_o.png
12-13827
http://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4733/38500524234_64696320ec_o.png
13-21218
http://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4691/38500523214_ffb041c0bc_o.png
14-21717
http://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4734/38500522454_1029706d57_o.png
15-22813
http://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4596/24346280417_ca21444241_o.png
16-24214
http://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4589/27432079859_6754c2d364_o.png
17-25606
http://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4598/24346279177_ee4e327b0f_o.png
18-25913
http://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4737/38500519674_231147463b_o.png
19-25914
http://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4735/24346278227_8ae018031c_o.png
20-30618
http://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4729/38500518464_6483c8785d_o.png
21-31622
http://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4593/24346275987_17d0cc2732_o.png
The unhappy portion went almost identically to the accident...
The what?
...when I fractured a couple of vertebrae in my neck nearly three years ago.
So Joseph was using a drag chute and somebody was moving a glider across his intended path?
Hint: Don't do base leg to final low to the ground unless you are in 100% Top Gun condition to be doing something like that.
- But don't worry in the least about trying to execute a perfectly timed flare...

14-00725
http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3859/14423696873_f1326e2320_o.png

...for a crisp no-stepper on the old Frisbee in the middle of the LZ.

http://www.hanggliding.org/viewtopic.php?t=22176
Paragliding Collapses
Jim Rooney - 2011/06/12 13:57:58 UTC

Most common HG injury... spiral fracture of the humerus.
What's the worst that could happen?

- Anything for which we need to be in 100% Top Gun condition to be doing we shouldn't be doing. Doug Prather and Eric Mies are examples of cool dudes who needed to be in 100% Top Gun condition to be doing what they did. We shouldn't be doing anything that demands over sixty percent of what we've got if the consequences of fucking up are gonna be as catastrophic as they were for Joe or the aforementioned.

- For what are we doing a low base to final? To stop safely or practice for stopping safely in a restricted field? Or to nail a spot? If it's to:

-- safely stop in an RLF you don't have a choice.

-- practice for same you can ease off at any time things start becoming overly intense.

-- to nail a fuckin' spot you're a total moron and have no business flying in the first place. In that case the low turn to final isn't the problem - it's the diagnostic symptom of a really major problem.
If you know you are fatigued then give yourself lots of room for error when landing.
- If you're fatigued you know you are.

- Show me a video of somebody really piling a glider in as a consequence of being fatigued.

- What if you don't have any room? Hang gliding's primary focus is to always be prepared to do a spot no stepper in a hundred square foot safe zone in a narrow dry riverbed with large rocks strewn all over the place. So where is all this extra room supposed to be coming from?

- In a sport that puts the first half of the runway off limits because of the astronomical and totally unmanageable danger of clipping the fence just off the downwind end?

- Under what circumstances would one NOT give oneself lots of room for error? If you're not fatigued it's OK to cut margins?

- How 'bout:

-- adequate wheels or skids - and coming in intending and configured to use them? What happens to safety margins when one is upright with his hands at shoulder or ear height where he can't control the glider? And how often do we hear anything about that as a massive compromise?

-- lotsa...

07-1014
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8604/16469500399_1f72de17ae_o.png
55-3708
http://c1.staticflickr.com/1/620/22526059899_6c7ef5a7d1_o.png
05-2704-c
http://c2.staticflickr.com/2/1525/26167489042_9f5e5af537_o.png

...SPEED instead - or in addition to space if you have it?
There have been plenty of similar accidents in HG as well as GA flying.
They don't have the kinds of landing "accidents" we mostly do in hang gliding. They come in configured for MAXIMUM control authority and MINIMUM crash damage vulnerability. We come in configured for the polar opposites - BY CHOICE.
Dave Gills - 2016/11/26 11:27:10 UTC

Done!
Good luck Joe & thanks for helping with site maintenance / flying community.
Wanna really help with the flying community, Joe? Post the important part of the video.
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

Injured pilot needs help
David Botos - 2016/11/30 17:38:12 UTC

Sorry to hear about Joe's accident.
...waiting to happen that did this time.
Jonathan - have you seen the unhappy portion? Can you elaborate a little more on what exactly happened? Sideslip in the turn? Catch a wing tip? Partial spiral into ground?
Hard to go wrong with "stunt landing" as the root of all otherwise normal end of hang glider flight evil.
NMERider - 2016/11/30 17:47:36 UTC

Base leg executed about 20-30' too low. Didn't quite level out into final leg before striking the ground with body. It's a common accident in many forms of aviation. Too low on the downwind leg then waiting too long to turn base to final and running out of room. Cut the damn base leg turn early if you're too low on the downwind.
Base leg executed about 20-30' too low.
- Then maybe 2-3 feet too low.

- Let's assume no wind, flat ground, and a nice performance glider and consider ground effect and translate ten feet of additional altitude to a hundred feet of additional runway cost. We should be able to turn onto final with a lot more precision than what you're describing.
Didn't quite level out into final leg before striking the ground with body. It's a common accident in many forms of aviation.
Not quite leveling out before striking ground with body? I'm not sure that's such a common accident even in hang gliding.
Too low on the downwind leg then waiting too long to turn base to final and running out of room.
- Room or altitude? He had ROOM to burn.
- Why?
Cut the damn base leg turn early if you're too low on the downwind.
Is this something anybody should need to be or is likely to benefit from being told? And, if so, shouldn't we be taking a hard look at the asshole who signed him off? Shouldn't we be noting the conspicuous absence of the asshole who signed him off in this conversation anyway?
David Botos - 2016/12/01 03:15:42 UTC

So it happened while still in the turn from base to final? When you say "striking ground with body", was he upright already and caught a leg on the ground?
Think he was in an environment in which there was the slightest need to be or any advantage in being upright?
If not that or catching a wingtip, I would think the bottom corner of the control bar toward the inside of the turn would hit first (which tends to cause sudden yawing and downward pitch, pilot getting swung forward through the control bar, and subsequent injury/damage).
Should anybody be flying in a configuration in which it's physically possible to catch a control bar corner on the surface? Like should anybody be driving such that in the course of a moderate collision it's possible for his face to contact glass?
NMERider - 2016/12/01 03:51:06 UTC

His base bar hit evenly and he went back to prone in order to push out but it was too late and he swung through, striking the ground pretty hard.
His base bar hit evenly...
Confirming the absence of anything remotely resembling wheels or skids. But that's OK in this sport 'cause wheel landings are for girls. For the love o' gawd don't fly without a locking carabiner, backup loop, Infallible Weak Link that blows every third tow, and never get in a harness that's not safely connected to a glider... But a naked basetube which is gonna dig into your runway surface at thirty miles per hour, slam you down to zero in the next millisecond, insure that your next ride will be in a medevac chopper and to your new home for the next month... Not a problem.
...and he went back to prone...
When and why had he gone upright?
...in order to push out...
And here I was thinking that one goes upright in order to push out.
...but it was too late and he swung through, striking the ground pretty hard.
He's upright, he catches the bar / flies into the ground, the glider goes into powerwhack mode, he goes back to prone in order to be able to push out more effectively but (big surprise) it's too late and his back explodes as he slams in. Makes no sense whatsoever.
It's difficult to watch.
- Must've been nearly impossible to produce.
- Well, good thing you were the only one of us permitted to then.
Not to sound like your Jewish mother but I hope you've contributed.
Has he ever apologized for flying without wheels? Condemned the practice? If he'd been flying the same approach half drunk but with a decent pair of wheels would he have ended up in the kind of shape he did?
Anyhow, this discussion put the fear of G-d back in me and I gave myself a nice long downwind leg and nice wide base leg and nailed my landing today on my ancient T2C 144. Image
At your Happy Acres putting green primary where you can afford nice long approach legs and there's zero need to nail a landing.
David Botos - 2016/12/01 05:02:11 UTC

My Mom is Catholic, but they're pretty good a guilt trips too. Image I did make a contribution to the fund.

Thanks for the details.
And the details made sense to you.
We can't change the past but we can certainly learn from it.
Fuck yeah! When in the entire history of the sport did anyone ever once crash a glider in such a manner that WE *COULDN'T* certainly learn from it. Funny we never seem to hear similar comments in the wake of serious automobile crashes. We tend to think of the responsible actors as morons and/or assholes and they tend to get charged, fined, suspended, incarcerated.
Not to suggest using equipment as a crutch for mistakes...
You mean the way the entire Aerotow Industry has for decades regarding the Standard Aerotow Weak Link while 99.9 percent of the guys paying for the pulls happily rolled over and sucked their dicks?
...but do you think the outcome would have been a lot different if the glider had wheels on it?
Yeah. Wheels. Crutches for imperfectly timed landing flares. If you use wheels you'll have zilch motivation for perfecting your landing flare and it'll take even more decades for you to perfect it.

If this motherfucker had been flying sans helmet as well as wheels, had a similar powerwhack at the end of a similar approach, had seriously mushed his brain due to the absence of a half decent helmet would you motherfuckers be talking about helmets as crutches for mistakes? And no helmet has ever PREVENTED a serious crash. The best one can do is mitigate the consequences of one. And even that only happens in the rarest of incidents. Most of the time they make no difference whatsoever. And sometimes they're what inflicts the serious damage.

How 'bout the backup loop?

08-02620
http://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4734/38500529024_1a75f8f93a_o.png

That's an essential crutch for all the people who are able to safely preflight all critical components of their gliders except the one to which they're connecting their harness each flight? Tell me about all the saves we've had over the decades of their use.

Note the LZ in which Joe will shortly half kill himself about halfway between the back ends of his keel and harness. A better shot:

16-24214
http://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4589/27432079859_6754c2d364_o.png

Near to his right and this side of the wet stuff.
NMERider - 2016/12/01 19:35:40 UTC

8" pneumatic wheels probably would have helped but the ground looked soft...
Not soft enough apparently.
...and the grass somewhat tall. The glider may still have pitched over but probably not as violently since the control bar would have been free to move rather than digging in.
- You mean the wheels would've rolled? Who'da thunk.
- He'd have walked away, gone back to work, been back at Brace the next weekend with a new downtube or two. I'm saying no question.
Joseph's best bet may have been to abort the base leg turn and land crosswind assuming there was room to fly straight and complete the landing.
Joseph's best bet WOULD have been to have flown with safe landing gear and made a safe approach for a safe landing. Joseph's best bet would've been doing just about anything other than what he did.
I will comment that it is extremely dangerous to try to tighten up a base leg turn near the ground. If a turn is initiated with excess air speed going in then tightening that turn can be used to bleed off the excess airspeed. However, if we are already in a coordinated turn and we try to tighten it and stay coordinated, we will lose more altitude faster to gain the extra speed needed than if we gain that extra speed while flying with wings level. In other words, if you need to make a tight base leg turn...
Which one ONLY needs to do to get into a tight LZ - which this one:

42°02'18.64" N 073°30'49.79" W

most assuredly ISN'T.
...then you need extra airspeed BEFORE you initiate the turn. Trying to gain the extra airspeed while already in the turn near the ground can be disastrous.

This is a set of maneuvers that can easily be practiced at a safe altitude in order to appreciate the difference between a tight turn that began with the necessary airspeed and a coordinated turn that gets tightened up during the turn.
Who needs to know this?
Another thing to bear in mind is that when we are physically and mentally fatigued, we will revert to muscle memory and perform on automatic without realizing what we are doing.
I never have. And I've come in for landings in terrible physical shape - exhausted, dehydrated, sleep deprived, airsick... But I've never had any trouble mustering mind and body enough for twenty or thirty seconds of doing things right near the ground.
The way to overcome this is with training and lots of it so that our muscles are programed to do the right thing.
I don't see landing as a muscle memory game. I see it as analyzing each landing situation and maximizing options and margins.
Alternately, we can train our judgement to recognize when we are fatigued and likely to revert to muscle memory and to give ourselves more room for error.
That's not what got this asshole slammed in. And by moving his glider from setup to launch minus wheels he wiped out about two thirds of the overall safety margin he should've had for such a flight and there were about a dozen individuals at launch who were OK enough with that decision to say absolutely nothing about it.

Interesting the way no participant anywhere in the history of the sport has ever actually perfected his flare timing yet all participants watching individuals moving wheel-less gliders to launch are one hundred percent positive that all such individuals have.
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

Injured pilot needs help
David Botos - 2017/01/12 03:06:09 UTC

Any word on how Joe's recovery is going?
NMERider - 2017/01/12 03:43:56 UTC

I heard from Joseph on Friday. I will send him a heads up about this thread.
Joe Stearn - 2017/01/12 17:34:18 UTC

Thanks NME for the heads-up ...

I'm doing much better: my strength is returning and my mouth lacerations are almost imperceptible now. I'm going in for an X-ray next week (the last one was six weeks ago) to find out how my vertebrae are knitting together after this time. The fractures were full-on bursts of T5 and T6 but were deemed stable, so I'm still wearing my full-length back brace with neck restrain until I hear more from the Orthopedic surgeon.

All of the support from the community has been amazing and I'm so grateful to people for helping - I simply couldn't heal-up as well (or even afford to) if it wasn't for all that help in the form of donations, phone calls, well wishes and car rides!
But no, fuck you, you don't get to see a frame's worth of the landing effort that necessitated all this time, effort, expense, generosity.
I tell people who aren't pilots about this community and its spirit and they're all so amazed and impressed by it - who wouldn't be?
Absolutely stellar bunch o' chaps. Hard to imagine why the sport's so rapidly imploding the way it is now.
I'll update this thread when I have some more news.
Well, that was about three weeks shy of a year ago. Guess there hasn't been much in the way of news since.
In terms of the particulars of the accident, I don't think there's a profound lesson to be learned that hasn't already been taught.
Sure there is. There's always something we all can learn from after somebody flies a glider into the ground minus wheels in glassy smooth late day air in a flat smooth primary half the size of Nebraska.
Basically I picked a spot near the edge of a large field (rather than using the extent of the field), misjudged the start of my downwind for the spot I was aiming at (I was too low) but didn't accept that fact and make necessary corrections (i.e. land ahead of my chosen spot).
But how are ya gonna perfect your landings if ya just land ahead of your chosen spot whenever ya feel like it?
Consequently I found myself making a near 180 degree turn low to the ground and didn't have enough height to complete it. That's what happened.
But obviously I'm not gonna let ya actually see it.
Why it happened was a combination of my slipping standards for well executed landing patterns and general fatigue from too much physical work before a long, cold November flight. I really believe that if either of those two things weren't present in combination I wouldn't have crashed.
So it would just be stupid to talk about the absence of wheels since we already have two things that needed to happen in combination for this to turn out the way it did.
Of course, when you see it like that then it shows you (and me) that standards for landing approaches have to be perfect, because sometimes you're going to be fatigued when you make them.
Yeah. Could've happened to any of us. None of us is perfect after all. Pretty much inevitable.
I had let the basic approach skills slide.
Didn't have shit to do with basic approach skills. Had everything to do with electing to fly an uncertifiable aircraft and fatally compromising your approach in an attempt to nail a stupid arbitrary spot you pulled out of your ass late on the way down.

For landing an aircraft you always want your safety margins as wide as possible. And for landing a glider times five 'cause you only get one shot. You did everything possible to make them as narrow as possible.

And I wonder how many high quality aerotow release systems could've been put into circulation for the cost of what it took to put you back together.

End of thread, end of discussion.

Posted a day shy of two months prior to the crash flight:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j61ExWAlURQ
2:48 - Nice to have such a generous LZ
Not if you elect to squander virtually all of it for the sake of practicing stopping with a perfectly timed flare in the center of some arbitrary twenty foot diameter spot.
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

Rediscovered this:

http://vimeo.com/69056841

one of Zack's of Kevin O'Brien in the course of editing the Incidents Index. Thought it deserved a stills project. At this point he has thirteen months and nine days left to live and the Eagle Lake Airport where this flight is taking place is just about twelve and a half miles SE of the fateful field (with the powerlines) just off the north end of the Columbus runway.

01-00028
- 01 - chronological order
- -0 - minutes
- 00 - seconds
- 28 - frame (30 fps)

01-00028
http://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4735/24387654097_aafec43287_o.png
02-00215
http://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4686/24387653807_2ef0f92a6e_o.png

Note easily reachable Quallaby release lever securely velcroed to starboard downtube. And head turned towards it in the frame above.

03-00304
http://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4687/39249969681_bac0643159_o.png
04-00309
http://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4691/39249969311_34d5931687_o.png
05-00320
http://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4637/39249968401_920cb918d3_o.png
06-01106
http://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4596/39249967341_42e5ea1e51_o.png
07-01426
http://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4685/39249966811_8f6c98a3bc_o.png
08-01529
http://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4726/39249965591_102bda8687_o.png
09-01618
http://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4634/39249964871_cdf8764ea7_o.png
10-01809
http://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4597/38542118404_2738c83766_o.png
11-02122
http://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4637/38542118124_830fdf91b6_o.png
12-02703
http://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4601/39249962731_74e8e4e698_o.png

And we're looking at the lever again just prior to using it.

13-03020
http://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4729/39249962101_fa312cd61f_o.png
14-03111
http://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4599/39249961661_84bfc1d3df_o.png

And that was the only time in the course of the entire flight that Kevin didn't have both hands where they needed to be in order to safely pilot a hang glider.

15-03312
http://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4633/39249960941_0156e90b4d_o.png
16-04314
http://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4642/39249959741_186fb37c55_o.png
17-04404
http://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4638/39249959031_1e157323d8_o.png
18-04921
http://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4634/39249958561_10acba6d2c_o.png
19-05507
http://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4592/38542114314_d42497f449_o.png
20-10029
http://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4689/38373541705_785e44079a_o.png
21-10200
http://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4689/38373540915_fa14e1fae8_o.png
22-10708
http://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4634/38373539705_58b8bec305_o.png
23-11006
http://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4732/38373538375_a097d24b55_o.png
24-11214
http://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4597/38373536695_136b0c2ff3_o.png
25-11325
http://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4730/38373534445_1a6524e16e_o.png
26-11614
http://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4594/38373533025_e6c1aa3a4e_o.png
27-11813
http://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4728/38542109144_1a340ef1fe_o.png

I hope that by the time of his final flight he hadn't started "learning" to final and land upright - in order to be able to safely deal with the hazards involved in flying XC.

28-11928
http://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4638/38373531565_4898a28d04_o.png
29-12218
http://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4687/39249952241_1b1d18820c_o.png
30-12324
http://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4727/38373530175_30eb638387_o.png
31-12610
http://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4687/39249951281_2743ace3c4_o.png
32-12827
http://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4725/39249951031_90431982d9_o.png
33-13008
http://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4634/39249950781_98be4a98f0_o.png

Also a zoom-in series on the fateful field:

1-31666
http://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4600/38554249804_4750b7a2a8_o.png
2-17880
http://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4685/38554249414_6e41ccd7f0_o.png
3-07274
http://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4684/38554249324_fd89b21a7a_o.png
4-02652
http://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4633/38554249174_88909c22ed_o.png
5-01436
http://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4693/38554248994_4ee7254e46_o.png
6-00994
http://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4643/38554248914_93762033f2_o.png

Note the long, sharp, afternoon light shadow being cast by the utility pole.

7-00507
http://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4598/38554248864_d514ff6ec4_o.png
7-00507c
http://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4637/38386110915_80d3417e72_o.png
http://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4595/38557698524_4f4c46faf2_o.png

The place was a total, suicide mission mess. Failing a major downwind run this should've been dealt with by using the pasture a quarter mile straight north. Lotsa open space; minor uphill grade; no upwind turbulence generators, fences, buildings, roads, traffic, powerlines.
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

Browsed through some of Kevin's Flickr site yesterday.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/k_p_obrien/6852990496/in/album-72157629261966680/

Looks like we've crossed paths.

Veranda, Asa Wright Nature Center, overlooking Arima Valley, Trinidad. Different times though. That's dated 2012/03/17, we were there a wee bit under a year ago.