landing

General discussion about the sport of hang gliding
miguel

Re: landing

Post by miguel »

Tad Eareckson wrote:I've tried to figure the lay of the land from Google Earth, not sure how well I did. Does that mean from Andy's left?
From the right. Anywhere from about 1 o'clock to 5 o'clock.

If you look at the video, when he completes the downwind leg, his wing tip is very close to the ground. He gets the wing back close to level but not completely under control.
Tad Eareckson wrote:But maybe much less NEED to hug a downtube when carrying the extra speed allowed by staying prone down into ground effect?
In a landing configuration, close to the ground, the ability to pull in for speed is about the same, prone or upright.
It is much easier to move quickly and strongly from side to side when upright.
Tad Eareckson wrote:No, landings will always be one of two great stages of a flight in which to kill oneself. But I'll bet Chris Starbuck would've done a much better job keeping that glider in one piece than Andy did.
Not familiar with Chris Starbuck.
Tad Eareckson wrote:Have you ever felt an urge to go upright to handle turbulence at altitude?
Close to the ground, there is limited room to sort out roll discrepancies. Corrections must be made forcefully and quickly. At altitude, most of the time there is plenty of room and time to make roll corrections. If I got turned towards the hill. I might consider quickly hugging the down tube. If contact with the hill was imminent, I would hug the tube along with offering some prayers.
bobk

Post by bobk »

miguel wrote:Close to the ground, there is limited room to sort out roll discrepancies. Corrections must be made forcefully and quickly. At altitude, most of the time there is plenty of room and time to make roll corrections. If I got turned towards the hill. I might consider quickly hugging the down tube. If contact with the hill was imminent, I would hug the tube along with offering some prayers.
I have to agree with miguel here. I believe pitch authority is greater on the base tube, but roll authority is much quicker and more authoritative when upright. No doubt about it.
Join a National Hang Gliding Organization: US Hawks at ushawks.org
Steve Davy

Post by Steve Davy »

The "chute" at McClure is approximately 225 deg.
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

He gets the wing back close to level but not completely under control.
Seems to be a strong correlation between his hands coming off the basetube and the deterioration of his control situation.
In a landing configuration...
What's a landing configuration?

http://vimeo.com/5967052

July 4 at Lookout

If you look at the ramp buzzing configuration at 2:01 it looks a lot like the landing configuration at 3:09. And that glider lands a whole lot better than Andy does.
...close to the ground, the ability to pull in for speed is about the same, prone or upright.
MOST of the time you can get adequate speed for landing upright. But shit happens and I've landed prone on a dune spine with the bar stuffed all the way down and in desperate need of wire assistance upon arrival. And there are people who've really needed ever inch of prone bar stuffing range to handle gusts and turbulence close to the deck. Some have been able to get it, some haven't.
Yeah. Moving quickly and strongly from side to side when upright doesn't always result in the glider doing what you want it too. Sometimes it's better just to stay prone and blast down into ground effect where you tend to be a lot less vulnerable to some of the crap that necessitates moving quickly and strongly from side to side when upright.
Not familiar with Chris Starbuck.
Chris Starbuck pancaked in while swing seated in the mid Seventies, got paralyzed from the waist down, and continued his flying career - including a lot of XC competition - using wheels for both ends of the flight. By the predictions of all the upright fanatics he was supposed to have been critically injured and killed many times over - but none of that has ever seemed to have happened.
Close to the ground, there is limited room to sort out roll discrepancies. Corrections must be made forcefully and quickly. At altitude, most of the time there is plenty of room and time to make roll corrections.
Not if you wanna cross the finish line five seconds ahead of second place. And I've never heard of any of these world class hotshots going upright to keep from getting kicked out of a thermal. Come to think of it, whenever I've been straining to keep from getting kicked out of thermal I've never had any inclination to shift to upright to make the job so much easier. How 'bout you?
If I got turned towards the hill. I might consider quickly hugging the down tube.
1. So you've never actually done this, but you think you might?

2. Do you know of anyone who's ever done this?

3. I have a fair number of hours soaring the Jockey's Ridge dunes in nasty southwest afternoon air. That's the most demanding, dangerous flying I've ever done and I damn near got killed there on 1984/07/05 when a monster thermal spun me around and spat me out the back toward the face of the spine which, moments before, had been behind and well below me. Neither I nor anyone else I ever knew about ever had the slightest inclination to rotate up for better roll authority.
If contact with the hill was imminent, I would hug the tube along with offering some prayers.
No you wouldn't. You'd live or die like everybody else who's ever been in such a situation has - fully prone, hands on the basetube, torqueing for all you're worth, and cussing like a sailor.
I have to agree with miguel here. I believe pitch authority is greater on the base tube, but roll authority is much quicker and more authoritative when upright. No doubt about it.
And so would you, Bob. No doubt about it. It's amazing how much hypothetical crap gets neutralized by survival instinct whenever the shit hits the fan. And, despite the cliché you've always heard, there's nothing BUT atheists in foxholes.
Steve Davy

Post by Steve Davy »

http://ozreport.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=26379
Landings
Davis Straub - 2012/01/19 06:59:06 UTC

The major problem I saw when a number of these pre-World competitors were landing is that they transition to the uprights at 200' (no problem, just yet) and put their hands three quarters of the way up the down tubes (oops, we are beginning to see the problem) where they are most comfortably placed and then don't pull it (it's hard to do so when your hands are that high. They then slowly fly to the ground at trim speed without any extra speed to get through any gradient or to deal with any other air movements. When they get to the ground they have no extra speed to bleed off in ground effect and they have no ability to do a flare as the glider is already out in front of them, so that they often nose over or have a mushy landing on their knees.

If you are going to get upright early, then you had better learn how to keep your hands low on the down tubes and how to pull in. I have often done this using my feet up on the base tube, getting in monkey position. It's hard to handle pulses from the side in the configuration, but you can really pull in with your feet (not that I recommend this procedure).

I feel that it is too hard to pull in as much as I want with just my arms when up rights. I want to have one hand on the base tube to pull in and one on the down tube.
miguel

Post by miguel »

Tad Eareckson wrote:
He gets the wing back close to level but not completely under control.
Seems to be a strong correlation between his hands coming off the basetube and the deterioration of his control situation.
Look at it again. He is almost 90 degrees to the ground and the wing is a few feet off the ground. He jerks the wing upright but is behind on control. He is fumbling while shit is happening. The glider continues its turn into the trees
In a landing configuration...
Tad Eareckson wrote:What's a landing configuration?
Within a wingspan or two of the ground.
...close to the ground, the ability to pull in for speed is about the same, prone or upright.
Tad Eareckson wrote:MOST of the time you can get adequate speed for landing upright. But shit happens and I've landed prone on a dune spine with the bar stuffed all the way down and in desperate need of wire assistance upon arrival. And there are people who've really needed ever inch of prone bar stuffing range to handle gusts and turbulence close to the deck. Some have been able to get it, some haven't.
Bet you landed into the wind :)
Tad Eareckson wrote:Yeah. Moving quickly and strongly from side to side when upright doesn't always result in the glider doing what you want it too. Sometimes it's better just to stay prone and blast down into ground effect where you tend to be a lot less vulnerable to some of the crap that necessitates moving quickly and strongly from side to side when upright.
A wing tip gets forced up or down. A strong pitch down input will get you a slipping turn into terrain. The correct input is to counter the roll input by moving to the side quickly and forcefully. Got it? I knew you could.
Close to the ground, there is limited room to sort out roll discrepancies. Corrections must be made forcefully and quickly. At altitude, most of the time there is plenty of room and time to make roll corrections.
Tad Eareckson wrote:Not if you wanna cross the finish line five seconds ahead of second place.
I don't compete or race. I just fly safely.
Tad Eareckson wrote: And I've never heard of any of these world class hotshots going upright to keep from getting kicked out of a thermal. Come to think of it, whenever I've been straining to keep from getting kicked out of thermal I've never had any inclination to shift to upright to make the job so much easier. How 'bout you?
I tend to roll with the strong ones and keep my underwear white. A cool thing with ailerons is to punch the rising wing down with the aileron and continue to go around and up with up aileron forcing the wing down.
If I got turned towards the hill. I might consider quickly hugging the down tube.
Tad Eareckson wrote:1. So you've never actually done this, but you think you might?
The all knowing Tad has spoken

I used to have a glider that tipstalled and went into a spin in certain situations. Early on, I grabbed the opposite down tube and hugged it and pulled in to stop the turn. It worked. I learned to grab the down tube while prone and pull it over while pulling in.
Tad Eareckson wrote:2. Do you know of anyone who's ever done this?
see above
If contact with the hill was imminent, I would hug the tube along with offering some prayers.
Tad Eareckson wrote:No you wouldn't. You'd live or die like everybody else who's ever been in such a situation has - fully prone, hands on the basetube, torqueing for all you're worth, and cussing like a sailor.
Bullshit. If contact was imminent, I would not lead with my head. I would hide behind the tube. It works as I have done it before. There is a thread on the org that deals with this. Check it out.
Bob wrote:I have to agree with miguel here. I believe pitch authority is greater on the base tube, but roll authority is much quicker and more authoritative when upright. No doubt about it.
Tad Eareckson wrote:And so would you, Bob. No doubt about it. It's amazing how much hypothetical crap gets neutralized by survival instinct whenever the shit hits the fan. And, despite the cliché you've always heard, there's nothing BUT atheists in foxholes.
Whatever
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

He is fumbling while shit is happening...
1. Precisely.

2. As have countless other people who've creamed their gliders and/or themselves who would've been fine had they stayed prone and on the basetube all the way down.
Where I learned to fly if you were more than a half a wingspan off the surface the last thing on your mind was landing.
Bet you landed into the wind...
Yep. And I didn't need ribbons to figure out the direction.
A wing tip gets forced up or down. A strong pitch down input will get you a slipping turn into terrain...
1. If you make the strong pitch down input BEFORE a wing is forced up or down the wing is a helluva lot less likely to get forced up or down.
2. Especially if you hold that pitch down input all the way into ground effect.
The correct input is to counter the roll input by moving to the side quickly and forcefully...
If I'm prone on final with speed appropriate for the conditions I don't hafta move to the side much or use much force - and the glider responds a lot more quickly.
I don't compete or race. I just fly safely.
Irrelevant. My point was/is that people who DO and DON'T *NEVER* go upright to enhance their chances of success.
I tend to roll with the strong ones and keep my underwear white.
Everybody wants white underwear and a glider that stays some degree of right side up and is capable of continuing on course and/or returning to base in one piece. And everybody stays prone to accomplish what he wants.
A cool thing with ailerons...
I think we attempt to do the same thing without ailerons.
The all knowing Tad has spoken...
1. There was a question mark at the end of that sentence.
2. That guy was a balloon pilot. He doesn't know shit about gliders. And, for that matter, precious little about balloons.
I used to have a glider that tipstalled and went into a spin in certain situations...
1. Like turning from base onto final?

2. Was this glider from the same manufacturer who told you never to load test your sidewires because you might overstress them and thus INCREASE your chances of a sidewire failure?
Early on, I grabbed the opposite down tube and hugged it and pulled in to stop the turn.
1. Did you do that near a hill?
2. If yes to the above - how many times?
3. Did you go upright before you pulled in?
I learned to grab the down tube while prone and pull it over while pulling in.
1. Guess not.
2. You're talking about a glider which has GOTTEN OUT OF control - not one you're trying to KEEP UNDER control.
3. And the central issue here - as indicated by the topic title - is "landing".
4. And we don't really need to be discussing how to recover from a spin on a landing approach 'cause there just aren't any really great solutions.
Bullshit. If contact was imminent, I would not lead with my head...
1. When contact is imminent you - like one helluva lot of very accomplished flyers before you - might not have a helluva lot of say in the matter.

2. Again... If contact is imminent you're no longer flying/controlling the glider. It no longer has a Pilot In Command. It, instead, has a Crash Victim. Do - or try to do - whatever the hell you think is gonna have the least number and degree of negative consequences. Then come back here and tell us how things went.

But I'm really not too interested in discussing things like what to do after:
you've:
- lost control of the glider on takeoff or landing
- run off the ramp on the assumption that you were hooked in
- gone into a spin turning from base to final
- discovered on final that your landing field is filled with seven foot high corn
- run off the end of the field after overshooting your spot in the middle of the field
- blown your racing wires on a loop and neglected to connected your parachute to your harness
- locked out and can't afford to let go of the basetube to get to your release
your:
- sidewire has failed
- Lookout release has performed as stated in the owner's manual
- Bailey release has weghorsted
- Lookout release has performed as stated in the owner's manual and Bailey release has weghorsted
- 130 pound Greenspot has:
-- prevented you from reaching an extremely high stall attitude
-- not prevented you from getting into too much trouble
- Birren Pitch and Lockout Limiter has worked
- tug driver has made a good decision in the interest of your safety

All of those items are one hundred percent preventable or damn close and I wanna be discussing how to prevent them.

P.S. Still looking for an example of someone going upright to better keep his glider under control.
miguel

Post by miguel »

He is fumbling while shit is happening...
Tad Eareckson wrote:1. Precisely.

2. As have countless other people who've creamed their gliders and/or themselves who would've been fine had they stayed prone and on the basetube all the way down.
Another non apparent data point.

The pilot has already passed the preferred landing point. The hill rises a bit and then drops off. There is an electric utility line and poles, brush, trees and more hillocks behind the hill. Very ugly places to impact. If he had stayed prone, he probably would have gone over the back. The only good aspect of that would be no video of the impact.
Tad Eareckson wrote:Where I learned to fly if you were more than a half a wingspan off the surface the last thing on your mind was landing.
Ground effect starts at about 1.5 wing spans. Yes, you are still flying but you need to consider the end of the lz.
Bet you landed into the wind...
Tad Eareckson wrote:Yep. And I didn't need ribbons to figure out the direction.
Didn't need to consider cross winds and side gusts did you?
A wing tip gets forced up or down. A strong pitch down input will get you a slipping turn into terrain...
Tad Eareckson wrote:1. If you make the strong pitch down input BEFORE a wing is forced up or down the wing is a helluva lot less likely to get forced up or down.
2. Especially if you hold that pitch down input all the way into ground effect.
I am starting to catch on now. I am not the sharpest tool in the shed. It takes me a while. You always land straight into the wind. No Crosswinds! Got it! :mrgreen:
A cool thing with ailerons...
Tad Eareckson wrote:I think we attempt to do the same thing without ailerons.
Much, much, mucho mas easier and safer to do with ailerons. I do not do it with weight shift.
Tad Eareckson wrote:1. There was a question mark at the end of that sentence.

2. That guy was a balloon pilot. He doesn't know shit about gliders. And, for that matter, precious little about balloons.
I think that one went by you.
I used to have a glider that tipstalled and went into a spin in certain situations...
Tad Eareckson wrote:1. Like turning from base onto final?
Nope, in the air, close to stall, in certain kinds of turbulence, close to the hill
All Knowing Tad wrote:2. Was this glider from the same manufacturer who told you never to load test your sidewires because you might overstress them and thus INCREASE your chances of a sidewire failure?
Nope, the glider was a TRX and I never said "because you might overstress them and thus INCREASE your chances of a sidewire failure?" Those are your ideas and words.

Properly done nicos are stronger than the wire. The wire fails before the nico fails. I have watched failure demonstrated on an Instron.

Corrosion and corrosion products can be seen. See corrosion, time to replace wires. See shiny wear marks, time to replace. Broken strands, same. I have a go no go guage to check any new cables that I have not made myself.
Early on, I grabbed the opposite down tube and hugged it and pulled in to stop the turn.
Tad Eareckson wrote:1. Did you do that near a hill?
Yes, especially if I thought it would turn into the hill and there was no room to turn in
Tad Eareckson wrote:2. If yes to the above - how many times?
Countless, until I learned to anticipate the spin and could counter it prone by reaching on the outside of the downtube and rapidly pulling it over.
Tad Eareckson wrote:3. Did you go upright before you pulled in?
It was a combination move, pull over and pull up. It stopped the incipient spin and turned the glider the other way.
Tad Eareckson wrote:2. You're talking about a glider which has GOTTEN OUT OF control - not one you're trying to KEEP UNDER control.
Again, the gread tad knows all, sees all.

Wrong again. Many times I let it spin to do a flat spin turn. It was very controllable. Used the same motions to stop the spin when and where I wanted.
Tad Eareckson wrote:3. And the central issue here - as indicated by the topic title - is "landing".
Now, now, now Tad. You were the one who brought up going up right at altitude. I gave you examples. I would dredge up the quote like Bob but my time is limited.
Tad Eareckson wrote:4. And we don't really need to be discussing how to recover from a spin on a landing approach 'cause there just aren't any really great solutions.
Landings were easy. Fly a fast approach and flair hard. The glider was very responsive to a hard flair and would stop flying as opposed to ballooning up.
Bullshit. If contact was imminent, I would not lead with my head...
Tad Eareckson wrote:1. When contact is imminent you - like one helluva lot of very accomplished flyers before you - might not have a helluva lot of say in the matter.

2. Again... If contact is imminent you're no longer flying/controlling the glider. It no longer has a Pilot In Command. It, instead, has a Crash Victim. Do - or try to do - whatever the hell you think is gonna have the least number and degree of negative consequences. Then come back here and tell us how things went.
Research "Dave Hopkins" if you are not conducting jihad against him. He piled a Mitchell wing into the rocks on the side of the hill at McClure at 60-70mph. Walked away with trivial minor injuries.

This is the last I have to say on this subject.

Have fun :mrgreen:

*Redundancy deleted. Redundant question answered above.
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

The pilot has already passed the preferred landing point.
Bad Move #1. Deliberately, right?
The hill rises a bit and then drops off. There is an electric utility line and poles, brush, trees and more hillocks behind the hill. Very ugly places to impact.
Make that: Really Bad Move.
If he had stayed prone, he probably would have gone over the back.
1. Then, obviously, crashing into the trees, snapping two leading edge spars, and falling on his face was the right call. (I wonder if there are available videos of other people landing that day.)

2. NOW I understand that saying about the uselessness of runway behind you!

3. I'm of the opinion that one should have a real good reason for coming into a field in which the drag afforded by being upright versus prone is likely to be a critical factor in preventing one from overshooting the end or crest.
Yes, you are still flying but you need to consider the end of the lz.
1. Where I learned to fly - on the Jockey's Ridge dunes - overshooting the LZ was very seldom much of a problem.

2. However, I've always had a major phobia concerning the ends of LZs so I've always considered them well before reaching the beginnings of LZs.

3. And whenever the LZ is the least bit questionable I always arrive at its beginning as low as sanely possible but with very crisp maneuvering speed.

4. I'll betchya twenty bucks I could've landed Andy's Combat in those conditions in the space between the windsock and the shrubs which appear in the bottom left corner of the frame at 0:28 with no wheels and my hands duct taped to the basetube with no more damage than some grass stains on my parachute container and no observers saying "Oh shit!", "Oh fuck!", "He's alright.", "He's OK!", and/or "You're alright dude, you're PERFECT!" at any point during and/or after the procedure.
The only good aspect of that would be no video of the impact.
How is that EVER a good thing?
However, he took off without attaching himself.

In a video, he was seen to hold on to the glider for about fifty meters before hitting power lines.
Especially if it's somebody like Rooney or Davis. (I'd kill for a copy of that one.)
Didn't need to consider cross winds and side gusts did you?
Not on that particular occasion.
You always land straight into the wind.
1. I don't recall saying that.
2. No.
3. How did you arrive at that erroneous conclusion?
4. Assuming an adequate length of reasonably safe runway, when is it a bad idea to enter ground effect with a good head of steam?
Much, much, mucho mas easier and safer to do with ailerons.
I'm sure it is. I don't think there's anything that ISN'T much easier and safer to do with ailerons - especially towing.
I think that one went by you.
I don't think it did. And I'm not standing behind any curtains - I leave that to folk like Pilgrim, peanut, and tipvortex.
Nope, in the air, close to stall, in certain kinds of turbulence, close to the hill.
Sounds like an especially good glider not to fly close to stall in certain kinds of turbulence close to the hill.
Nope, the glider was a TRX and I never said "because you might overstress them and thus INCREASE your chances of a sidewire failure?" Those are your ideas and words.
I DO apologize.
http://www.kitestrings.org/post1258.html#p1258
Apparently you meant nothing of the sort.
The wire fails before the nico fails.
Yes. And in hang gliders that failure is virtually always AT the nico.
Corrosion and corrosion products can be seen. See corrosion, time to replace wires. See shiny wear marks, time to replace. Broken strands, same. I have a go no go guage to check any new cables that I have not made myself.
And then skip the load test 'cause:
- you've just checked your wires for corrosion, corrosion products, shiny wear marks, and broken strands
- the go / no go gauge readings were all good
- you just replaced your wires last month
- the wires you've been using for the past five years have long unblemished track records
- you might:
-- overstress the wires and thus INCREASE your chances of a sidewire failure
-- understress the wires and fail to detect a defective wire
-- break a defective wire
-- accidentally and unknowingly grind a wire into a sharp rock
-- step on a rattlesnake thinking it was a wire
- it's:
-- not a Wills Wing glider and the procedure isn't in the owner's manual
-- a really old Wills Wing glider and the procedure isn't in the owner's manual
-- a new Wills Wing glider but you haven't read the owner's manual
-- just CYA crap that the lawyers cooked up so Wills Wing could ship gliders with two millimeter wires
- wires very rarely fail in flight high enough to get hurt but too low for a parachute to open
- the trees will probably slow you down enough to keep you from getting killed
- the redundancy afforded by backup loops and hook knives is plenty good enough for hang gliding
- your:
-- dealer didn't do this when he went over the procedures
-- instructor told you to never do this
- Jim Gaar advises against it and he always uses a "cool" smiley at the end of his posts
- Davis never does them
- most people who don't do them have long track records
- someone might steal your harness while you're turned around stepping and pushing
- you're way more likely to get killed in a failure to hook in accident
- in hang gliding shit just happens and there's really nothing you can do about it anyway
Countless, until I learned to anticipate the spin and could counter it prone by reaching on the outside of the downtube and rapidly pulling it over.
So you're saying that prone was the preferable control configuration?
It was a combination move, pull over and pull up. It stopped the incipient spin and turned the glider the other way.
But eventually you learned to anticipate the spin and counter it prone by reaching the downtube and rapidly pulling it over.
Many times I let it spin to do a flat spin turn.
Exactly. You LET IT spin. A glider that's spinning is (hopefully) temporarily not under control. It may be doing what you want it to but it's making the calls and you're along for the ride until you decide to let or get the inside tip start flying again.

And if you've got plenty of air - fine - go nuts, do whatever you want, have fun. But here we're talking about landing approaches and touchdowns and maximizing control at all stages.
You were the one who brought up going up right at altitude.
Which - see above - you ceased doing as you improved your technique. Right?
I would dredge up the quote like Bob but my time is limited.
http://www.ushawks.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=884
The Bob Show
Tad Eareckson - 2011/12/13 03:41:16 UTC

If you can't quote me I didn't say it.
Actually...
Bob Kuczewski - 2011/12/13 04:44:24 UTC

I'm not going to spend the time right now, but I will ask you to read everything you've written and post your own quote that comes closest to supporting my statement.
Bob's not all that good at providing quotes.

And...
Zack C - 2011/12/17 14:56:03 UTC

You continually misrepresent Tad's statements.
He tends to deliberately take them out of context and misrepresent them when he does.
Landings were easy. Fly a fast approach and flair hard.
I am starting to catch on now. I am not the sharpest tool in the shed. It takes me a while. You always land straight into the wind. No crosswinds! Got it! :mrgreen:
Research "Dave Hopkins" if you are not conducting jihad against him.
The name's very familiar to me and the hairs on the back of my neck don't stand up when I hear it.
He piled a Mitchell wing into the rocks on the side of the hill at McClure at 60-70 mph. Walked away with trivial minor injuries.
Great!!! He should write up his procedure for piling a Mitchell Wing into the rocks on the side of the hill at McClure at sixty to seventy miles per hour so Bob can include it in his training manual.

Me... I'd rather hear how he got into a situation which terminated in his piling a Mitchell Wing into the rocks on the side of the hill at McClure at sixty to seventy miles per hour so I can include recommendations on how to avoid one in mine.
This is the last I have to say on this subject.
I'm always happy to get whatever I can.
Have fun :mrgreen:
One does one's best.
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

http://ozreport.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7671
Gallery Of Pain

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vaTu5Y4WBdY

18-3704
Christian Williams - 2012/01/14 20:11:06 UTC

That's just about the worst possible moment in a landing approach to change hand position. Jeeez.
Yeah.
Christopher LeFay - 2012/01/15 08:24:47 UTC

No joke. The sad bit is, no matter how many on-camera examples of why contriving an approach with a low transition is a bad idea, the practice continues to be fostered in new pilots.
1. How many on-camera examples of people not doing hook-in checks and launching unhooked do we need to see before new and old pilots start doing, teaching, looking for, and demanding hook-in checks?

2. How many on-camera examples of people who have absolutely no need whatsoever to land on their feet getting creamed only because they tried to land on their feet do we need to see before we start questioning the wisdom of doing foot landings when there's absolutely no need whatsoever to?
Glenn Zapien - 2012/01/15 08:40:19 UTC

I use the one up one down during strong conditions all the way down, sometimes I stay on the base tube a little longer on some approaches to keep the speed on, sometimes I go to the uprights early due to simply mellow fat winter air.
YES.
Most of the time, aircraft approach with a one up one down. I have seen a lot of new pilots try to do go upright, transition, slide hands up, all within the last three to five seconds of the flight. That's when it gets ugly. Or the hand shuffle at the last few seconds to get to the uprights is another one that can put the new pilot in a turn after the glider is about all out of energy. The difference between a good landing and a happy pilot, to a mad pilot and a bad landing is about three seconds.
USUALLY the pilot fares better screwing up when a glider is about all out of energy than when it's still packing a little extra.
Christopher LeFay - 2012/01/15 09:30:29 UTC

The above video is of an experienced pilot in strong conditions suffering from a low hand on the same side as a lifting wing; roll authority is asymmetric, sacrificed for what, exactly? A more familiar posture? All things considered (control, pitch range), a well practiced pilot adept at an upright approach is advantaged over those limited to one-up-down.
How 'bout we consider even a low time Hang Two staying prone with both hands on the basetube at all times and rolling in on the wheels?
Glenn Zapien - 2012/01/15 16:17:29 UTC

I always struggled with why he kept looking at his right DT when the glider was not stable enough and flying straight. Yep, transitioning at that moment was a very bad choice. Poor Andy.
Steve Davy - 2012/01/16 02:20:31 UTC
I always struggled with why he kept looking at his right DT...
He was trying to find the down tube after he got his arm hooked around the outside of the right rear wire.
...a well practiced pilot adept at an upright approach is advantaged over those limited to one-up-down.
A pilot flying prone with both hands on the base tube is advantaged over those flying upright.
Robert Seckold - 2012/01/16 02:53:00 UTC

It is really simple re one up one down.

1. Change hands at 100 feet or in ground effect NEVER anywhere in between.
1. I can name you several people who died because their hands were on the downtubes at under a hundred feet who'd have been fine if they had waited until three to zero seconds before touchdown.

2. IF one MUST, I'm really on board with the ground effect part of that statement.
Why people continue to change hands at 10, 20, 30, 40 feet just amazes me.
Yeah Robert? Why people continue to foot launch 10, 20, 30, 40 seconds or minutes after last doing something to reassure themselves that they're connected to their gliders just amazes me.
Might be that they get away with it so many times they think it is fine to do it, until something like this happens.
Yeah.

http://ozreport.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=24846
Is this a joke ?
Jim Rooney - 2011/08/25 21:40:25 UTC

See, the thing is... "we", the people that work at and run aerotow parks, have a long track record.
I think there's A LOT to what you're saying there.
He was so lucky as that could have been deadly. :(
Steve Davy - 2012/01/16 03:21:16 UTC
Why people continue to change hands at 10, 20, 30, 40 feet just amazes me.
Why people continue to use fishing string to tow hang gliders into the air amazes me. There is lots of stuff in hang gliding that is amazing.
Might be that they get away with it so many times they think it is fine to do it, until something like this happens.
Or something like this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IjncKQ02FJ8
Christopher LeFay - 2012/01/16 05:37:48 UTC
A pilot flying prone with both hands on the base tube is advantaged over those flying upright.
When landing, only where drag is concerned - but, of course, we are concerned about a lot more than just drag when landing.
Who said anything about drag? We're landing here. Unless we're trying to make it to a field or put it down in a short one we're not really worried much about drag one way or another.
Just as when launching, an upright posture allows for far more authoritative roll input when it is most critical - next to the ground.
Sure, just watch what the tandem gliders do in really rough conditions.
The posture also positions the critical parts of one's body further from initial impact, allowing energy to be dissipated by air-frame and limbs before head and spine have to pay the debt of gravity.
Bullshit.

Before and After
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zzMbdtOhAk
Sparkozoid - 2011/11/27
dead
14-00725
http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3859/14423696873_f1326e2320_o.png

1. The posture also positions the person's hands on the downtubes such that if the glider comes to an abrupt stop before you can get your hands cleared you can expect to be looking into other hobbies for a while.

2. These arguments about control being enhanced by being upright are bullshit rationalizations - PERIOD. Nobody at ANY altitude under ANY level of comfort or stress EVER rotates to vertical to get better control of the glider.

3. The ONLY time anybody ever rotates to vertical - or tries to - in an emergency is when no further control of the glider is possible and impact is inevitable and imminent.

4. In reality, the precise opposite happens. If a pilot is vertical - say shortly after launch - when the shit hits the fan he rotates to prone, stuffs the bar, and starts making the glider go where he wants it to - to the benefit of both.

5. You have LESS control authority upright than prone thus you are MORE likely to crash upright than prone.

6. WHEN you crash because you've diminished your control authority by being upright instead of prone it's a virtual certainty that you will immediately ROTATE to prone.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tkElZMhpmp0

7. Now you not only have the more important and less robust parts of your body forward but you have them forward AFTER converting that potential energy you imparted to them by rotating them up around your center of gravity to kinetic rotational energy with your feet as the pivot point.

8. Think of it this way...

Snow day. School's out. Which ten year old kid is more likely to get a concussion and/or broken arm speeding down the slope on his Flexible Flyer?

- A. The one proned out with both hands directly on the basetube - head and arms under a foot from the frozen surface and foremost.

or

- B. The one standing up on the deck controlling the basetube with a length of clothesline connected to its ends - head and arms well and safely separated from the frozen surface by the height of his body and oriented away from hazards below and in the direction of travel.

Bonus question...

How come there are virtually no ten year old kids who need to have shit this fucking obvious explained to them and virtually all glider divers are totally incapable of getting the slightest grasp on this concept no matter how many decades worth of broken arms and necks they hear about, see, and experience?