Weak links

General discussion about the sport of hang gliding
Tad Eareckson

Re: Weak links

Post by Tad Eareckson »

Lisa

Some people may not understand the difference between nominal values and actual values.
Unbelievable. You'da thunk they'd have picked that up in their training about the same time they'd have been learning all about how straight pin barrel releases are inferior to the bent pin jobs because the latter are a lot easier to close over a loop of three eighths inch rope.
Tracy

Nominal is a categorical reference [ref 5]...
Go fuck yourself.
Likewise, the USHPA nominal 1G value for weak links is a handy guideline for pilots, as they can easily figure out the approximate strength of the weak link that they should use on their V-bridle, based on their glider's actual operating weight.
Yeah Tracy, sure. Try this...

- Grab a little chick who flies at 200 and a big dude who flies at 350 - both with a 130 pound Greenspot standard aerotow weak link on the end of a two point bridle.

- Sit them down next to each other at a picnic table and ask them how many Gs they're flying.

- They're both gonna answer "about one G" 'cause that's what their idiot fucking aerotow instructors told them and they will be totally oblivious to the obvious fact that it's physically impossible for them to both be right.
Lisa

You covered some legal aspects of weak link strength. Being legal is important...
Why?

- One of your neighbors to the west murdered Jeremiah Thompson on 2005/09/03 by violating the crap out of regulations covering aerotow equipment standards and didn't get so much as a fraction of a parking ticket's worth of repercussions.

- You yourselves violate the crap out of regulations covering release performance and weak link configuration and rating and nobody ever does anything about it.
...but so is being practical. Let's talk about some practical aspects of weak links.
Yeah Lisa, let's talk about how our 260 pound standard aerotow weak link fits into the picture from a practical standpoint.
Tracy

Unlike the FAA's relatively clear-cut legal rules, the practical aspects of weak link technology and application are not so clear-cut. For some people, talking about weak links is more like talking about religion, politics, or global warming--they can get very emotional about it and have difficulty discussing it logically, rationally, or with civility.
- Hey Tracy! Thanks for thinking of me!

- Yeah. Weak links, religion, politics, global warming, evolution, release performance, strength of a loop of 130 pound Greenspot... All stuff where science is simply incapable of coming up with any good answers and one person's opinion is just as valid as another's.
Lisa

So let's try to talk about it rationally, logically, and practically here.
Don't worry, Lisa...

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/skysailingtowing/message/7104
AT SOPs - proposed revisions
Dutcher Sterling - 2009/05/14 00:27:53 UTC

Tad,

I can see your frustration as we now have a "professional" not for profit corporation called the USHPA. Which IMHO is no longer geared to be responsive to the needs of the pilot, but to those of the corporation.

It used to be a case of ineptitude and nepotism amongst the BOD, but now they are professionals...
- I don't think you'll have the slightest problem talking about weak links rationally, logically, and practically with your husband and business partner and having the discussion published in a magazine that you control - and doing so without the slightest fear of contradiction.

- I'm also pretty sure you're gonna be able to define rationality, logic, and practicality any way you feel like.
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

Tracy

Let's start with the definition of practical. A good definition of practical [ref 8] is: "of, relating to, governed by, or acquired through practice or action, rather than theory, speculation, or ideals."
Yeah Tracy...
Larry West - 2012/02/20 14:49:54 UTC

He was connecting his paraglider tow bridle to his harness (Z5) shoulder loops and I thought that was weird, and asked him about it. He told me "that's how I towed all week" so I asked him if he was going to tow with it over or under his basetube and he replied "I did both and it doesn't make any difference." This scared me, so I asked him how much theory Mark taught, and my buddy said "None. We just flew a lot." I laughed and said "That's cool, but they had you take a written test, didn't they?" and he got mad (he was already stressing) and said "Larry, we just flew and those guys said I was flying like a Hang 3.", at which point I just walked away and waited for something bad to happen... which it did five minutes later.
Let's skip all that tedious weak link theory and get these birds into the air using what we use 'cause we've always done it that way.
Lisa

Even though the FAA does not specify the technology of weak link construction, there are practical, accepted standard methods of constructing and attaching weak links for sailplanes and hang gliders.
Yeah Doctor USHPA-Towing-Committee-Chair Colletti?

- Here's what USHPA says about attaching weak links for hang gliders:
A weak link must be placed at both ends of the tow line.
You don't do this and NOBODY does this. And over three years ago I handed you assholes really good revisions of the SOPs and Guidelines which would allow for safe configurations using weak links installed on bridles. And you pissed all over them and me.

And if you can't revise documentation to specify safe, no cost practices then you can go fuck yourself.

- There are also practical, accepted standard methods of constructing and attaching barrel releases which are totally moronic.
Tracy

That's because there are two types of standards, de jure and de facto [ref 9].

De jure standards are those dictated by law, like the FAA's requirement for weak link strength or created by a standards organization, like ASTM standards for construction of light sport aircraft. Neither the FAA nor ASTM has a de jure standard for weak link construction. About all that the FAA has to say about it is: "Tow ropes and weak links are assembled using a tow ring that is appropriate for the operation" [ref 7].

Similarly, ASTM standards state: "The rated ultimate strength of the weak links to be used in the towing cable shall be established and shown to be suitable in operation" [ref 10].
You mean like putting them on a test rig and finding out they blow at about half the loading that you and your shitheaded buddies have been assuming they do?
De facto standards are those that are market driven and have received wide acceptance by the industry.
Yeah dickhead...

http://ozreport.com/12.081
Weaklinks - the HGFA rules
Davis Straub - 2008/04/22 14:47:00 UTC
Pilots must use weaklinks provided by the meet organizers and in a manner approved by the meet organizers. All weaklinks will be checked and use of inappropriate weaklinks will require the pilot to go to the end of the launch line to change the weaklink.

Weaklinks will consist of a single loop of Cortland 130 lb Greenspot braided Dacron Tolling line and should be placed at one end of a shoulder bridle.
http://www.chgpa.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2467
weak links
Jim Rooney - 2007/07/22 22:30:28 UTC

I've heard it a million times before from comp pilots insisting on towing with even doubled up weaklinks (some want no weaklink). I tell them the same thing I'm telling you... suck it up.
http://www.chgpa.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3600
Weak link question
Jim Rooney - 2008/11/24 05:18:15 UTC

I've personally refused to tow a flight park owner over this very issue. I didn't want to clash, but I wasn't towing him. Yup, he wanted to tow with a doubled up weaklink. He eventually towed (behind me) with a single and sorry to disappoint any drama mongers, we're still friends. And lone gun crazy Rooney? Ten other tow pilots turned him down that day for the same reason.
Jim Rooney - 2007/07/19 14:50:52 UTC

And yes, get behind me with a "strong link" and I will not tow you.
http://ozreport.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=24846
Is this a joke ?
Davis Straub - 2011/08/26 14:04:52 UTC

We had six weaklink breaks in a row at Zapata this year.
MARKET driven.
De facto standards result from many organizations adopting the use of them. When it comes to weak links, the FAA lets the industry and marketplace develop, sell, and use what works--meaning that which is practical and "appropriate to the operation" [ref 7].
Yeah.
Jim Rooney - 2011/08/25 04:55:25 UTC

It always amazes to hear know it all pilots arguing with the professional pilots.
I mean seriously, this is our job.
We do more tows in a day than they do in a month (year for most).

We *might* have an idea of how this stuff works.
They *might* do well to listen.
Not that they will, mind you... cuz they *know*.
Stuff that WORKS. Kinda like flying your glider into a tree WORKS really well to stop it. So let's make that the de facto and de jure standard.
Lisa

I get it--it's like de jure and de facto standards for hang gliders.
Yeah Lisa, I was pretty sure you would. It's really wonderful to see just how well you and Tracy understand each other's thinking and logic.
Sailplane weak links rarely fail inadvertently--
Yeah? So how often do they fail advertently?
...that's not so much the case for hang gliding weak links.
Yeah.

http://www.hanggliding.org/viewtopic.php?t=11497
Aerotow release options?
Adi Branch - 2009/07/02 12:50:02 UTC

I have to chirp in on this.. I know I'm a noob and all that, but Tad seems to be talking sense to me. From what I can gather the US has some quite different (dated?) ways of doing things which it appears are not used here in the UK, and some of the reasons I've heard cited for not using these methods relate directly to accidents in the US.

For instance, the idea of tying your own weak link is absolute nuts to me, as is using a bit of string for the job! Over here it's aluminium only (sailplane style link) and if I turned up with a bit of tied string, I'd be shown the exit road.

I dunno... Maybe I'm missing something, but if someone (who appears to be knowledgeable in his field) is suggesting some aspects of towing methods are unsafe (to which as an outsider I agree with him), then why are there criticisms and not constructive arguments or additional input to rectify these issues?
Go figure. (Not that there's anything wrong with using a good tied bit of string. But if you so fuckin' stupid as to use it for twenty years without ever once TESTING it - or even LISTENING to the people who HAVE...)
To help people understand why this is so, I think that it would be good to describe and compare de facto standard sailplane weak link designs with hang glider weak link designs.
Tracy

One standard weak link design for sailplanes is to just use the tow rope itself as the weak link, as long as it has a breaking strength between 80% and 200% of the MCOW of the glider, per FAR 91.309(a)(3). The de facto standard is to use 1/4", 5/16", or 3/8" hollow braid polypropylene rope, commonly with breaking strengths of about 1000 lbs., 1500 lbs., and 2000 lbs., respectively [ref 11]. These tensile strengths can vary a bit, depending upon manufacturer of the rope. Any of those three rope diameters would be legal for us to use as a weak link for our Blanik, with a MCOW of 1100 lbs., but, practically, we feel that 1500 lbs. is best.
Oh.

- So you COULD have gone with gone with the one thousand - which would've been almost exactly the flying weight of the glider that USHGA recommends.

- But instead you went for 1.36 times the maximum certified operating weight of the glider - which pretty much EXACTLY what ALL sailplane manufacturers specify.

Most interesting.
Of the three diameters of polypro tow rope, only 1/4" tow rope would be legal for us to use as a weak link for our Alatus ultralight sailplane.
Lisa

1000 lbs. is at the maximum limit for our Alatus. Practically, it is better for us to add a lighter weak link at the end of the 1/4" tow rope for the Alatus.
Tracy

Adding a second, lighter weak link on to the towline is a very popular de facto standard weak link design for sailplanes. Here, a thicker row rope is used as the weak link for the tug and a short length of thinner row rope is attached to the glider end of the long tow rope as the weak link for the glider. The short length of thinner rope can be spliced directly into the thicker tow rope or attached to the end of the tow rope using hardware. Splices are used rather than knots, because knots significantly and inconsistently reduce the strength of the rope.
HOW inconsistently? What's your test data showing?
We prefer this weak link style for our Blanik as well as the Alatus. For the Blanik, we use 3/8" polypro as the towline...
http://ozreport.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1143
Death at Tocumwal
Gregg Ludwig - 2006/01/22 18:15:15 UTC

I just cannot understand why operators continue to use poly towlines (for aerotow ops) when spectra towlines are clearly superior. Poly is less expensive... but when considering the cost of a tow plane and HG and the advantages of spectra, a few dollars of savings is foolish.
...and 5/16" polypro as the weak link line added to the end of the towline. This way, the weak link for the glider is 1500 lbs. and the weak link for the tug is 2000 lbs., which is 25% greater than the weak link for the glider, but not more than twice the MCOW of the glider.
Gregg Ludwig - 2006/01/23 16:32:52 UTC

Towline elasticity produces a rubber band effect that results in ever changing towline forces that can also produce significant airspeed changes as well. Since Spectra does not offer elasticity (or very little) this effect does not occur and a safer tow results. Trikes normally tow with longer lines of 200-250 feet so the advantages of Spectra are even greater.
Lisa

Those approaches to weak link design are very practical and are widely used for sailplanes. It is important to realize that most sailplane operations use polypro for the tow rope rather than Spectra.
Oh. MOST sailplane operations use polypro for the tow rope rather than Spectra. Hard to imagine that all of them aren't.
Unlike Spectra, polypro has some stretch to it under load--and can stretch up to 20% before breaking.
Yeah?
Rodney Nicholson - 1986/11
Ontario Hang Gliding Association

In the third and most recent incident, the weak link broke shortly after launch and the end of the tow rope, with metal ring attached, whiplashed back and hit the spotter/winch operator in the eye. At present the chances appear ninety percent that he will lose the eye completely.
So what happens with all that stored energy AFTER breaking?
It acts like a shock absorber to soften impact loads, which helps to prevent damage to the structure and hardware of the tow plane and sailplane and helps to avoid unnecessary weak link breaks.
Steve Seibel - 2006/01/23 20:34:34 UTC

Obviously one of the dangers of an elastic towline is that when it breaks, it can spring back and hit the pilot with much force--I've heard of a (nylon?) towline actually breaking its way through the canopy and into the cockpit of a sailplane after it broke under a heavy load.
So I guess the stupid people using Spectra at their sailplane operations are getting a lot more damage to the structure and hardware of the tow plane and sailplane and experiencing a lot more unnecessary weak link breaks. Have you tried reasoning with them?

And LOOK AT THIS from Reference 11 - Wings and Wheels:

http://www.wingsandwheels.com/page30.htm
Ultra High Molecular Weight Polyethylene Braids
Spectra

Spectra rope has one of the highest strength to weight ratios of the performance fiber ropes available, and can be up to ten times lighter than an equivalent strength steel cable. Spectra fiber is made from a High Modulus Polyethylene (HMPE) that carries exceptional properties in relation to high strength, low stretch, low weight, and low friction. HMPE fiber is also considered the lightest of the high strength / high modulus fibers.

UHMW PE/Spectra 1000 Braided Cords exhibit superior abrasion and ultraviolet resistance. Spectra braids have very low elongation at break (4%-5%) and are used where extreme high strength and low elongation are required.

Pound for pound Spectra braids are the strongest braided cords available. In addition to the raw braid the above items can be pre-stretched and/or treated with various synthetic finishes.

Most popular for ground launching ultralight and hang gliders due to the low weight and high strength but increasing popularity for glider winch and auto launching.
Low stretch, very low elongation at break - just four to five percent, marketing to and popular with ultralights and hang gliders as well as sailplanes?!?!?!

And they're paying TWO AND A HALF TIMES as much for the 2000 pound Spectra as the vastly superior 2200 pound poly that you're using?

MY GOD!!! What is WRONG with these people?!?!?!
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

Tracy

A third practical, but less common and more expensive, de facto standard for sailplanes is use of a metal TOST weak link.
Oh. The Tost weak link is more EXPENSIVE.

Is this a joke ?
Jim Rooney - 2011/08/28 19:39:17 UTC

The frustration of a weaklink break is just that, frustration.
And it can be very frustrating for sure. Especially on a good day, which they tend to be. It seems to be a Murphy favourite. You'll be in a long tug line on a stellar day just itching to fly. The stars are all lining up when *bam*, out of nowhere your trip to happy XC land goes up in a flash. Now you've got to hike it all the way back to the back of the line and wait as the "perfect" window drifts on by.

I get it.
It can be a pisser.
http://ozreport.com/12.080
No one makes it back - Santa Cruz Flats Race, day two
Davis Straub - 2008/04/22 06:02:32 UTC

I was not the only one breaking weaklinks as it seemed for a while every third pilot was having this problem.
http://ozreport.com/13.238
Adam Parer on his tuck and tumble
Adam Parer - 2009/11/25

Due to the rough conditions weak links were breaking just about every other tow and the two tugs worked hard to eventually get everyone off the ground successfully.
Is this a joke ?

Cragin Shelton - 2002/08/03

First try was a notably short flight, with a weak link break moments after lifting from the launch cart. The wind had shifted, so I had a down-wind landing, rolling in. I succeeded in dragging a knee instead of a toe on one side, so I earned a nice strawberry scrape.
Joe Schad - 2004/08/02

Steve had a weak link break on his first launch just after leaving the cart and rode it in on the asphalt.
http://ozreport.com/9.011
2005 Worlds
Davis Straub - 2005/01/13

Tom Lanning had four launches, and two broken weaklinks and a broken base tube. He made it just outside the start circle.
http://ozreport.com/16.078
The Rob Kells Meet
Davis Straub - 2012/04/18 15:02:09 UTC

Mitch Shipley (T2C 144) crashed at launch after a weak link break. He tried to stretch out the downwind leg and then drug a tip turning it around and took out his keel (at least).
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/hhpa/message/11155
Question
Shane Nestle - 2010/09/17 22:17:50 UTC

So far I've only had negative experiences with weak links. One broke while aerotowing just as I was coming off the cart. Flared the glider immediately to land and put my feet down in preparation only to find the cart still directly below me. My leg went through the two front parallel bars forcing me to let the glider drop onto the control frame in order to prevent my leg from being snapped.
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TTTFlymail/message/11545
Cart stuck incidents
Keith Skiles - 2011/06/02 19:50:13 UTC

I witnessed the one at Lookout. It was pretty ugly. Low angle of attack, too much speed and flew off the cart like a rocket until the weak link broke, she stalled and it turned back towards the ground.
Tost Flugzeuggerätebau

An insert exchanged in time is always safer and cheaper than an aborted launch.
Kinda depends on how you do the math - ASSHOLE.
This weak link design is more commonly used in Europe than in the U.S., and is more commonly used for winch towing.
Yeah Tracy, in European sailplaning and hang gliding they use better equipment and have fewer shitheads trying to find solutions to imaginary problems.
The TOST...
It's "Tost" - as in "Richard Tost". It's not a fucking acronym.
...weak link is a small strip of metal precisely fabricated to break at a specific load, within a tolerance of plus/minus 5% [ref 11]. It can be attached to one or both ends of the towline with shackles, and is covered by a protective metal sheath. A primary and secondary TOST weak link can be mounted together under the same protective sheath, so that the secondary is a back-up in case the primary weak link fails prematurely. They will both fail properly in an overload situation.
Doesn't sound very sporting to me.
TOST weak links come in eleven different color coded sizes, including sizes light enough to be used for hang gliders.
http://www.aviationbanter.com/archive/index.php/t-40965.html
Are Weak Links really Necessary for Aero Tow?
Bill Daniels - 2006/09/18 14:30

I would like to add, however, that at least my reading of accident reports suggest that a fatal glider accident is more likely when the towline fails prematurely. For that reason, I like to stay near the stronger end of the FAR 80 to 200 percent range.

Actually, reading the Pilot's Operating Handbook for several German gliders, I note the weak link for aerotow is specified as an exact figure. For example, the weak link for both aero tow and winch for my Nimbus 2C is specified as 600 KG (1323 Lbs) or a blue Tost weak link. The tolerance is plus or minus ten percent. The US Airworthiness Certificate specifies that the Nimbus 2C is to be flown as specified in the POH. Considering the possible flying weights, this ranges between 95 and 160 percent which is a narrower range than specified in the FARs.

Makes me wonder if we should be using Tost weak links instead of old bits of rope.
Lisa

How about describing de facto standards for weak links used for aerotowing hang gliders?
Tracy

Based on several decades of experience and hundreds of thousands of tows conducted by numerous aerotow operators across the county, the de facto standard has become use of a 260 lb. weak link made as a loop of 130 lb. green spot IGFA [ref 12] Dacron braided fishing line attached to one end of the pilot's V-bridle.
- By "county" do you mean Polk or Lake?

- Greenspot is one word and it's Capitalized.

- At what point in these decades of experience and hundreds of thousands of tows conducted by numerous aerotow operators across the county was 130 pound Greenspot determined to be the ideal aerotow weak link?

- How much higher did the kill rates go when people tried:
-- 100 pound fishing line?
-- 160 pound fishing line?

- How much higher is the kill rate for people who use 130 on one point bridles?

- All stupid hang gliding clones know that 130 pound Greenspot when tied in a loop and properly installed on a bridle blows at 260 pounds. On a two point bridle that translates to 452 pounds towline. Using your examples of a minimally loaded Falcon 3 145 - 165 pounds - and a maximally loaded Sport 2 175 - 390 pounds - we find ideal standards of 2.74 and 1.16 Gs respectively.

-- Why were the USHGA SOPs - which limit the weak link to twice flying weight - not revised so that very light gliders could legally fly with ideal weak links?

-- Why were the USHGA Aerotowing Guidelines - which recommend a weak link of only 36 percent of the ideal - not revised out of consideration for the safety of the light gliders?

-- What are the safety implications for the dozen or so pilots who've actually bench tested the Sacred Loop of 130 pound Greenspot and found it to blow at about half of what you stupid criminally negligent Flight Park Mafia motherfuckers are telling everybody it does?
It is a de facto standard, because it works for most pilots and gliders and is usually near the USHPA recommendation of a nominal 1G weak link for most pilots.
- WORKS to WHAT - asshole?

- Who are the pilots and gliders for whom it DOESN'T "WORK"?

- For the unlucky few for whom this Miracle Link doesn't work is there any possibility of a glider crashing or getting killed?

- If you're one of the unlucky few for whom this Miracle Link doesn't work and you're told by some incompetent terminally stupid Flight Park Mafia pigfucker:

http://www.chgpa.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2467
weak links
Jim Rooney - 2007/07/22 22:30:28 UTC

I've heard it a million times before from comp pilots insisting on towing with even doubled up weaklinks (some want no weaklink). I tell them the same thing I'm telling you... suck it up. You're not the only one on the line. I didn't ask to be a test pilot. I can live with your inconvenience.
do you have any options for flying that don't involve sucking it up?
For example, a mid-size Sport 2 155 with a pilot who has a hook-in weight that is in the middle of the recommended weight range will weigh about 260 lbs., so a loop of 130 lb. line is just right.
Really?
- Is he putting it on the end of the towline - where I've never seen it - to get precisely one G?
- Or is he putting it on the end of a:
-- two point bridle where it puts it puts him at 1.74 Gs?
-- one point bridle where it puts it puts him at two Gs?
This strength of line also meets FAA requirements for most sizes of gliders and weights of hang glider pilots.
Go fuck yourself, Tracy.
Lighter green spot line is available for very light pilots...
Really?
- WHERE is it available?
- Name one single pilot in the history of hang glider aerotowing stupid enough to use or request anything lighter than 130.
...and heavier line is also available for heavier pilots, tandems, and the tug.
Hey Tracy...
USHPA - 2011/11

A release must be placed at the hang glider end of the tow line within easy reach of the pilot. This release shall be operational with zero tow line force up to twice the rated breaking strength of the weak link.
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/skysailingtowing/message/4049
Towing errata
Bill Bryden - 2004/04/01 16:20:18 UTC

Some aerotow releases, including a few models from prominent schools, have had problems releasing under high tensions. You must VERIFY through tests that a release will work for the tensions that could possibly be encountered. You better figure at least three hundred pounds to be modestly confident.

Maybe eight to ten years ago I got several comments from people saying a popular aerotow release (with a bicycle type brake lever) would fail to release at higher tensions. I called and talked to the producer sharing the people's experiences and concerns. I inquired to what tension their releases were tested but he refused to say, just aggressively stated they never had any problems with their releases, they were fine, goodbye, click. Another person tested one and found it started getting really hard to actuate in the range of only eighty to a hundred pounds as I vaguely recall. I noticed they did modify their design but I don't know if they ever really did any engineering tests on it. You should test the release yourself or have someone you trust do it. There is only one aerotow release manufacturer whose product I'd have reasonable confidence in without verifying it myself, the Wallaby release is not it.
Lookout Mountain Flight Park - 2009/07/12

The new GT aerotow release, new as of July 11th 2009, is designed to be used with a V bridle and a 130-pound green stripe Dacron tournament fishing line weak link. At this time it is not recommended to use this release with a higher value weak link.
http://www.hanggliding.org/viewtopic.php?t=21033
barrels release without any tension except weight of rope..
Bart Weghorst - 2011/02/25 19:06:26 UTC

But I've had it once where the pin had bent inside the barrel from excessive tow force. My weaklink was still intact. The tug pilot's weaklink broke so I had the rope. I had to use two hands to get the pin out of the barrel.
No stress because I was high.
What release do you recommend for use by heavier pilots and tugs?

Asshole.
miguel

Post by miguel »

Quick question:

What is the real breaking point of a loop of 130 greenspot; a double loop of green spot?
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

The fairly quick answer is that a single loop of 130 on bridles of proper materials and diameters will blow at around 130 to 140 pounds with a bit of variation off the ends.

HOWEVER...

When you fly these things they're getting stressed beyond anything close to a Safe Working Load and they fatigue very quickly and COMMONLY blow in situations such as THIS:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TaVg_bzK3Aw

And, if you've done the field testing and do the math, that Davis Link is blowing at something not far off of 75 pounds.

A double loop - although it's a shoddy approach to doing the job - seems to be reasonably reliable at around 200 pounds. And that's got enough of a margin that - even on a tandem - it holds up pretty well.

P.S. Lemme just emphasize - AGAIN - that a weak link that's just good enough to hold up well is dangerous and can very easily get you killed when the shit hits the fan.
Zack C
Site Admin

Post by Zack C »

Tad Eareckson wrote:When you fly these things they're getting stressed beyond anything close to a Safe Working Load and they fatigue very quickly and COMMONLY blow in situations such as THIS:
Tad, your theory here is that when the links are loaded near their capacity their capacity decreases, right? Do you have any data to support this? Seems like it would be easy enough to reproduce experimentally.

Zack
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

Tad, your theory here is that when the links are loaded near their capacity their capacity decreases, right?
That's my hypothesis anyway.
Do you have any data to support this?
Nothing really great from the bench. But occasionally when I'm running my load tester...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/aerotowrelease/8317889807/

...a Dacron leechline component - calculated to do the job - in the system will disintegrate at way under the predicted tension.
Seems like it would be easy enough to reproduce experimentally.
- I've measured tensions during acceleration and climb.

- Any of us who've towed with 130 pound Greenspot more than three or four times, can read, and/or watched the videos knows it can blow at any time in the course of a smooth controlled normal tow.

- When we use REAL one and a half G weak links we don't have any problems.

- Ditto with sailplanes.

- I could be completely wrong regarding why 130 pound Greenspot blows at 125 pounds of towline tension but, practically speaking, it doesn't matter in the least. Our standards and procedures remain the same.

- So, until someone comes along with a better explanation, that's my story and I'm sticking to it.
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

Tracy

It is important to realize that, per FAA requirements, the weak link on the tug cannot be more than 25% stronger than the weak link used for the glider.
Yeah? So WHY is it important to realize that? I wish I could get you stupid motherfuckers to understand that what's important is the part of that regulation that says:
- A safety link is installed at the point of attachment of the towline to the towing aircraft with a breaking strength greater than that of the safety link of the towed glider or unpowered ultralight vehicle.
http://ozreport.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=865
Tandem pilot and passenger death
Mike Van Kuiken - 2005/10/13 19:47:26 UTC

The weak link broke from the tow plane side. The towline was found underneath the wreck, and attached to the glider by the weaklink. The glider basically fell on the towline.
Get your fuckin' weak link stronger than mine. I don't give a rat's ass HOW MUCH stronger but get it stronger.
That means, in most cases, for solo pilots when 130 lb. green spot is used to make a 260 lb weak link...
Idiot.
...the weak link attached on one end of the tug's V-bridle should have a breaking strength that is no more than 325 lbs. Green spot 160 lb. line works great for a weak link on the tug's V-bridle, because it makes a 320 lb. weak link
- Idiot.
- There's no such thing as 160 Greenspot. The next size up is 200.
...which is just under the 25% greater limit of 325 lbs. If a trike or some other tug is used where the tug's weak link is incorporated as part of the towline, rather than on a V-bridle, the tug's weak link should have an actual breaking strength of about 520 lbs. if towing a hang glider using a nominal 1G 260 lb. weak link on the V-bridle. This can be adjusted up or down a bit for performance and to stay within FAA requirements, but is convenient because a double loop of 130 lb. green spot line can be used to make a 520 lb. weak link.
Or a 200 - if you go to the trouble to actually TEST it.
The same approach works for tandem gliders, but the numbers are higher.
And I'm ABSOLUTELY SURE that at Cloud 9 Sport Aviation the operators are ALWAYS diligent to swap out weak links while they're pulling solos and tandems to stay within that 25 percent legal margin.
For example, if the total weight of a tandem glider with pilot and student is 416 lbs., then per the USHPA recommendation of using a nominal 1G weak link, the weak link on the tandem glider's V-bridle should be 416 lbs. and no more than 520 lbs. for the V-bridle on the tug. In this case, a loop of 200 lb. green spot line could be used to make a 400 lb. loop for the tandem glider's weak link...
Idiot.
...and a double loop of 130 lb. green spot could be used to make the 520 lb. weak link for the V-bridle on the tug.
Idiot.
Of course, the FAA would legally allow us to use a much stronger weak link, up to 675 lbs. as we described earlier for a Falcon 3 tandem, but it may not be practical to use such a strong weak link on a tug's V-bridle.
Especially since the fuckin' moron who designed the Dragonfly incorporated a breakaway in the tow mast which blows if the load to it exceeds about 200 pounds.
Historically, a 520 lb. double loop of 130 lb. green spot line has been the de facto standard for weak link used on the V-bridle for both the tandem and the tug.
Historically, a hang check in the setup area has been used to make sure the pilot will be hooked in when he runs of the ramp five or ten minutes later.
Technically, this can be legal if the V-bridle on the tug is longer and has a more acute angle than the V-bridle on the glider, which results in a vector angle that effectively makes the weak link on the tug act slightly stronger than the weak link on the glider. There has been a trend lately for some tandem operators to go with about a 400 lb. weak link on both the tandem glider and tug V-bridles, rather than 520 lbs., to help protect the equipment from large stresses.
Instead of properly designing the equipment such that it can handle reasonable solo flight stresses.
If tandem operators think that, practically, a 520 lb. double loop weak link is too much for a tandem, it is way too much for a solo pilot.
FUCK TANDEM OPERATORS and what they "THINK". Typically tandem operators are tandem operators because they're totally incapable of thinking.
Solo hang glider pilots should not place a 520 lb. double loop weak link on their V-bridle, unless they get specific approval from the tow operator.
- It's not a goddam 520 pound double loop - it's a goddam 200 pound double loop.

- If it WERE a goddam 520 pound loop it would translate to 904 pounds towline and that would be over the two G legal limit for any glider with a maximum certified operating weight under 452 pounds.

- And there aren't any solo gliders certified to 452 pounds.
It could be hard on the equipment...
Fuck COULD BE hard on the equipment.
- We have an FAA *REGULATION* which specifies twice maximum certified operating weight.
- This is one hundred percent consistent with USHGA's own regulation for anybody flying at max certified operating weight.
- Gliders are certified to six Gs.
- A glider that can be blown before a two G weak link wasn't safe to fly in the first place.
...and could be illegal if the tug is using a weaker weak link.
Fuck the tug's weaker weak link. The glider is LEGALLY allowed to fly at up to two Gs and the tug is LEGALLY REQUIRED to stay over the glider. If the fuckin' tug can't comply with the fuckin' law then ground the sonuvabitch - just like in sailplaning.
It is also far beyond USHPA's nominal 1g recommendation.
Fuck the USHPA, its nominal one G recommendation, you, and the horse you rode in on.
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

Lisa

Why is green spot IGFA braided Dacron fishing line used?
Same reason the bent pin barrel release is used. A total fucking moron in Florida pulled it out of his ass, declared it an Immaculate Universal Standard upon which no improvement was possible or would be tolerated, and tens of thousands of reverent zombies swallowed it - right along with the hook and sinker.
Tracy

It ties well, it holds up well, and has about the right tensile strength...
ABOUT the right tensile strength to do WHAT, asshole?
...and, according to John Vitek, who does line testing for IGFA, it breaks very consistently near 130 lbs.
WOW!!!

- We have a line that breaks very consistently near 130 pounds.

- And if we put a loop of it on a bridle such that the knot is hidden from the main tension and excluded altogether from the main tension we have a weak link that breaks very consistently near 260 pounds.

- And if this is a two point bridle we have a weak link that breaks very consistently near 452 pounds.

- And based on several decades of experience and hundreds of thousands of tows conducted by numerous aerotow operators across the county it has been determined that 452 pounds is the PRECISE optimal blow tension for ALL solo flying weights - from baby Falcon 3s at 165 to big Sport 2s at 390 pounds.

- And if this is a one point bridle we have a weak link that breaks very consistently near 520 pounds.

- And based on several decades of experience and hundreds of thousands of tows conducted by numerous aerotow operators across the county it has been determined that 520 pounds is ALSO the PRECISE optimal blow tension for ALL solo flying weights - from baby Falcon 3s at 165 pounds to big Sport 2s at 390.

- So based on several decades of experience and hundreds of thousands of tows conducted by numerous aerotow operators across the county it has been determined that 1.16 to 3.15 Gs is the PRECISE optimal blow tension for ALL solo gliders.

I've said it before and I'll say it again... There IS a God!!! How else are ya gonna explain the loop of 130 pound Greenspot and platypus?
He also said that if an aerotow operator wants to send him a sample of weak link line to be tested, he will be happy to do it for IGFA's usual fee.
Hey motherfucker... How 'bout sending him single and double loop weak links installed on bridles along with IGFA's usual fee before you write your next fourteen page magazine article? Hell, I'll do it for free.
IGFA braided Dacron fishing line is readily available in a wide range of strengths that work for us, including 100, 130, 160, 180, 200, 250, and 300 lb. line.
- Work to WHAT?
- Who's US?
One source states that their Dacron braided line is IGFA approved, and they publish a chart of the actual tested breaking strengths for their various lines [ref 13].
Reference 4, Page 56:
The only way to ensure safe, consistent weak links is to test each batch of new weak link material with the same equipment (release, rings, bridles, etc.) for breaking strength.
So do they publish a chart of the actual tested breaking strengths of weak links on the equipment (releases, rings, bridles, etc.) you're using?
They state that their 130 lb. line breaks within one pound of 130, which is 5 to 10 times more precise than a metal TOST weak link. Their least precise 180 lb. line breaks within four pounds of 180 lbs., which is still twice as precise as a metal TOST weak link.
That's SO reassuring. We have USHGA and FAA regulations which specify a plus or minus 43 percent range, we're flying gliders which vary plus or minus from the middle by over 40 percent / 110 pounds, and we're calling our loops twice their test strengths. But the line itself has very tight tolerances.

Asshole.
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

Lisa

Can you explain some methods of constructing weak links for hang gliders?
Yeah Lisa, when you want really good information always go to an expert.
Tracy

Sure. I'll start by discussing some methods that may be legal, but are not common de facto standards.
Well, if they're not common de facto standards they couldn't possibly be any good.
One method would be to make the entire tow rope a weak link, which is a de facto standard for aerotowing sailplanes. For example, a 200-foot length of 400 to 500 lb. braided line would work and be legal as a tow rope that also functions as a weak link for aerotowing most hang gliders. Unfortunately, this line would have such a thin diameter that it would not hold up well to the whipping and dragging on the ground that it would experience over multiple tows.
Wouldn't that just make the towline weaker - and therefore safer?
If this were practical, people would be using it as a standard method.
Of course they would. People are ALWAYS very quick to adopt the best equipment and procedures possible.
Another method would be to attach a TOST metal weak link to one or both ends of a stronger towline, like they do for sailplanes in Europe.
It's also done sailplanes in the US and hang and para gliders in Europe.
It would work fine at the tug end of the towline, but it may not be practical to have a relatively flat and sharp strip of metal at the end of the towline near the hang glider pilot.
- Especially for some total fucking moron using a polypro bridle.

- And since it MAY not be practical...

http://www.hanggliding.org/viewtopic.php?t=11497
Aerotow release options?
Adi Branch - 2009/07/02 12:50:02 UTC

I have to chirp in on this.. I know I'm a noob and all that, but Tad seems to be talking sense to me. From what I can gather the US has some quite different (dated?) ways of doing things which it appears are not used here in the UK, and some of the reasons I've heard cited for not using these methods relate directly to accidents in the US.

For instance, the idea of tying your own weak link is absolute nuts to me, as is using a bit of string for the job! Over here it's aluminium only (sailplane style link) and if I turned up with a bit of tied string, I'd be shown the exit road.
...we shouldn't even think about ever once taking a flight on it.
Likewise, it would probably not be practical to put it on the pilot's V-bridle, because it is a flat and sharp piece of metal and would not pass through the tow ring well at release.
Duh.
Lisa

How about explaining some accepted standard methods of making weak links for hang gliders?
How 'bout explaining something about the shitheads who appoint themselves as arbiters of what is and isn't acceptable?
Tracy

An old de facto standard, from the early days of aerotowing hang gliders, involved placing a pre-tied 1G weak link loop directly on to the end of the tow rope or at the apex of the pilot's V-bridle. This was a method borrowed from surface towing. Early ultralight tugs did not have much power compared to the LSA tugs used today, and weak links could be weaker.
Oh. So the weak link should be based upon the power of the tug rather than on the maximum load capacity of the glider. I didn't understand that before. Thank you for making it clear. (How very odd that they don't mention this in any of the regulations.)
The climb angles were shallow and the tow forces were lighter, so an actual 1G weak link used in-line with the tow rope was practical...
- So what are the maximum tensions likely to be experienced behind 582 and 914 Dragonflies?

- Shouldn't we be swapping out weak links to optimize our tows behind 582 and 914 Dragonflies?
-- A 914 delivers 115 horsepower.
-- A 582 delivers 64.4.
-- If 130 pound test is an appropriate weak link for a 914 shouldn't we use 73 pounds for a 582?
...and likely the basis for creation of the original 1G USHGA recommendation for weak link strength.
- Oh! So you actually have no fucking clue as to the THEORY behind the original one G USHGA recommendation for weak link strength.

- USHGA's original recommendation for weak link strength WASN'T one G, asshole. THIS was USHGA's - and the FAA's - original REGULATION for weak link strength:
USHGA Safety and Training Committee - 1985/07

USHGA Aerotow Guidelines

A weak link must be placed between the tow line and the release at both ends of the tow line with the forward link ten percent stronger than the rearward weak link. The weak link must have a breaking strength less than 85% the weight of the hang glider and pilot combination, not to exceed 200 pounds.
Pretty underpowered tugs, shallow climbs, and light tow forces back then. Took about fifteen minutes to crack a hundred feet.

One G was a figure Donnell Hewett...
Donnell Hewett - 19855/08

The seventh skyting criterion requires an infallible weak link. In my opinion this is absolutely essential for safe towing. Yes, I know that certain water towing systems have established excellent safety records without ever using a weak link. But I contend that there is always the possibility (no matter how remote) that the unexpected can happen, causing the towing forces to build up beyond the limits of safe towing. Furthermore, the limits for a "safe release" occur well before the limits of "safe towing", so if one is going to release from a potentially dangerous situation, he had better do so before the release, itself, becomes dangerous. To guarantee that this is possible, a weak link must be included. To properly serve its function it must be completely infallible, which means that it cannot be mechanical. It should be either a single loop or a single strand of consistent strength line tied with a consistent knot and experimentally tested to break at the desired tension limit. The break point should be appropriate for the weight and the experience of the pilot. It should never exceed one g of force (i.e., the combined weight of pilot and glider) although lower settings are suitable for learning situations and for more leisurely climb-outs.
...pulled out of his ass. It has absolutely no foundation in reality.
Like today, a 130 lb. line would work fine for making the weak link.
Yeah Tracy. It works fine for MAKING the weak link. It doesn't work so fine...

Is this a joke ?

...for actually USING the weak link.
Some older literature on hang glider aerotowing...
Towing Aloft. Written with the assistance of, about, for, and by total assholes.
...describes tying weak links for use on a V-bridle with an extra knot in the line to weaken it.
The weak link material they were using for that idiot exercise was 205 leechline.
In this situation, the weak link on the V-bridle would only be about l/2g, but would break when about a 1g load was placed on the tow rope. [ref 4]
Right. 'Cause anything you put at the top end of a two point bridle is defined as a nominal one G weak link. And when the knot isn't hidden from the main tension and excluded altogether from the equation you can safely assume that it'll cut the strength in half.
The LSA tugs used today are much more powerful, with greater climb angles and tow forces. To prevent inadvertent weak link breaks, the de facto standard today is to place a 1g weak link, usually 260 lbs...
Idiot.
...on the end of the V-bridle instead of on the tow rope or at the apex of the V-bridle. The USHPA recommendation of making a weak link with a 1G breaking strength still applies, but the 1G weak link is now normally placed on one end of the V-bridle instead of onto or in line with the tow rope. The current 1G recommendation is a nominal value, whereas the original 1G recommendation was an actual value. Bear in mind, that a 1G weak link placed in-line with the tow rope may not be FAA-legal, if a light pilot is flying a big glider with a high MCOW, as we explained earlier. However, in almost all cases, a 1G weak link placed at the end of the pilot's V-bridle will be FAA-legal.
Get fucked.