General discussion about the sport of hang gliding
Steve Davy

How to crash a Hang Glider

Post by Steve Davy »

http://www.hanggliding.org/viewtopic.php?t=27736
Increase in our USHpA dues
Mark G. Forbes - 2012/12/20 06:21:33 UTC

Post 159

We're re-working the accident reporting system, but again it's a matter of getting the reports submitted and having a volunteer willing to do the detail work necessary to get them posted. There are also numerous legal issues associated with accident reports, which we're still wrestling with. It's a trade-off between informing our members so they can avoid those kinds of accidents in the future, and exposing ourselves to even more lawsuits by giving plaintiff's attorneys more ammunition to shoot at us.

Imagine a report that concludes, "If we'd had a procedure "x" in place, then it would have probably prevented this accident. And we're going to put that procedure in place at the next BOD meeting." Good info, and what we want to be able to convey. But what comes out at trial is, "Ladies and Gentlemen of the Jury, my client suffered injury because USHPA knew or should have known that a safety procedure was not in place, and was therefore negligent and at fault." We're constantly walking this line between full disclosure and handing out nooses at the hangmen's convention.
Trust a corrupt association that advertises its incompetence and willingness to hide information from its members.
Tad Eareckson

Re: How to crash a Hang Glider

Post by Tad Eareckson »

http://ozreport.com/12.081
Weaklinks - the HGFA rules
Davis Straub - 2008/04/22 14:47:00 UTC

From section 3.4 of the 1999 Hang Gliding Federation of Australia Towing Manual:
Recommended breaking load of a weak link is 1g. - i.e. the combined weight of pilot, harness and glider (dependent on pilot weight - usually approximately 90 to 100 kg for solo operations; or approximately 175 kg for tandem operations).
Here is the requirement from the 2007 Worlds local rules (which I wrote) for weaklinks:
Pilots must use weaklinks provided by the meet organizers and in a manner approved by the meet organizers. All weaklinks will be checked and use of inappropriate weaklinks will require the pilot to go to the end of the launch line to change the weaklink.

Weaklinks will consist of a single loop of Cortland 130 lb Greenspot braided Dacron Tolling line and should be placed at one end of a shoulder bridle.
At the 2008 Forbes Flatlands Greenspot for the first time was used as the standard weaklink material (thanks in large part to the efforts of Bobby Bailey). We applaud these efforts to improve the safety of aerotowing by using a better weaklink material.
Allow a bunch of brain dead tug drivers and meet heads to write and impose policy on hang glider pilots.
Steve Davy

Post by Steve Davy »

Doug Doerfler - 2011/03/02

Nothing creates carnage like declaring a spot landing contest.
Attempt three declared spot (foot) landings that the idiots who advertise their incompetence and willingness to hide information from members and implement the rating requirements continue to use as a means to...
Tad Eareckson - 2013/04/23

...this is a culture that loves to make this sport as dangerous as it possibly can.
...make this sport as dangerous as they possibly can.
Steve Davy

Post by Steve Davy »

http://www.rmhpa.org/messageboard/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4258
HG accident in Vancouver
Tom Galvin - 2012/10/31

I teach hook-in checks. I don't teach lift and tug, as it gives a false sense of security.
Get training from a moron that fancies himself competent and holds a card that reads "instructor" issued to him by an association that advertises its incompetence and willingness to hide information from its members.
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

The United States Hang Gliding and Paragliding Association, Inc. - 2012/06/20
Standard Operating Procedure
12. Rating System
02. Pilot Proficiency System
12. Hang Gliding Aerotow
-C. Equipment Guidelines

05. A release must be placed at the hang glider end of the tow line within easy reach of the pilot.
Go up with a release within easy reach (as a guideline).
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

Zack C - 2010/12/13 04:58:15 UTC

I had a very different mindset too back then and trusted the people that made my equipment. Since then I've realized (largely due to this discussion) that while I can certainly consider the advice of others, I can't trust anyone in this sport but myself...
Trust someone in this sport other than yourself.
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

Steve Pearson - 2012/03/28 23:26:05 UTC

I can't control the glider in strong air with my hands at shoulder or ear height and I'd rather land on my belly with my hands on the basetube than get turned downwind.
miguel - 2013/04/12 15:08:32 UTC

They also can fly the glider from the downtubes with adequate control.
miguel - 2013/04/25 21:51:50 UTC

There I was, a couple feet above the ground, about to land. The wind was about 25 to 30 mph and gusting wildly. I had no forward motion and thought I had it in the bag. A strong gust came from the side, picked the glider up about 30 feet. I went prone and pulled in to the max but I was a basic leaf in the breeze. The same gust slammed the glider back into the ground. I hugged a downtube. No injury to me but the glider was totalled.
Come into a field upright with the wind about 25 to 30 mph and gusting wildly flying the glider from the downtubes with your hands at shoulder or ear height for adequate control.
Steve Davy

Post by Steve Davy »

HANG GLIDING FOR BEGINNER PILOTS
By Peter Cheney
Published by Matt Taber
Official Flight Training Manual of the U. S. Hang Gliding Association

After you hook in, you must perform what's known as a hang check. The hang check ensures that you're hooked in to the glider, and that your harness and support system are correct. Hang checks are a vital part of a safe pilot's routine. Never take off without doing a hang check.
Perform what's known as a hang check as specified in the "Official Flight Training Manual of the U. S. Hang Gliding Association".
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

Red Howard - 2011/02/22 06:50:21 UTC

I do not recommend "stepping" on a cable (I assume you mean in mid-span) as part of a preflight. If your foot hits the ground with the cable underneath, or sand or rocks are trapped in your shoe treads, you could damage the cable that you are testing.
Don't "step" on a cable as part of a preflight. If your foot hits the ground with the cable underneath, or sand or rocks are trapped in your shoe treads, you could damage the cable that you are testing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJV_t4L92pE

http://ozreport.com/forum/files/having_a_bad_day_178.jpg
Steve Davy

Post by Steve Davy »

http://www.hanggliding.org/viewtopic.php?t=27396
Scooter tow faillure... or Never Land On Your Face
Paul Edwards - 2012/10/17

Also, the release handle is mounted on the base bar. While launching I had no way of releasing from the tow line.
Launch with no way of releasing from the towline.