Weak links

General discussion about the sport of hang gliding
Tad Eareckson

Re: Weak links

Post by Tad Eareckson »

http://ozreport.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=47939
The "how" of loosing Jeff
Christopher LeFay - 2016/05/22 18:21:11 UTC

We all confront loss in our own way. Past horrors leave us looking for what we can- or think we can -control. We try to shape how we feel by assigning meaning. The common resolutions- "never again", "this loss will change us", "not for nothing" -are matched with the refrains of solace - "the real tragedy would have been not having the courage to really ever live", "he died doing what he loved". Nods of affirmation all around. Later there will be a memorial place or annual commemorative event. We'll hope to see the day when the pain of loss is eclipsed by the gratitude of memory.

Seeking understanding is another natural recourse. If there is utility beyond a semblance of control, that depends on each of us- together. To that end, here following are observations, concerns, and questions relating to the death of Jeff Bohl. Contribute constructively if you will- otherwise, find some other venue.

-Context-

I just left Quest Air Open, Part 1, last week; I was driving for my wife, who participated in the comp. Our last morning in Florida found friends gathered around a bunch of I-Hop tables pushed together, Jeff behind a wall of food. I kept thinking "there's no way he can eat the whole menu"- but, being an athlete, he made a noble attempt to do just that. The night before held my favorite moment from the week: at the final evening pilot meeting, Davis responded to complaints that only a select few pilots were being singled out for recognition by acknowledging that there were 43 pilots in the Open Class- at which point, Jeff leapt to his feet, starry eyed, waving a hand over head as he began to make his way to the stage, as though just having his named called out on The Price is Right. Such sincere, self deprecating humor. I treasure it. Back in Houston, near the home flying site we both shared, there's a Jeff-shaped hole that will never be filled.

-Observations-

The standard weaklink used at Quest is stronger than what we use at our home site; at the first pilot meeting, pilots were instructed about acquiring the stronger links. (I don't trust my recollection of either well enough to provide numbers- if you know, please share.) My wife is on the light side, and she was instructed to stay with the weaker links we commonly use at our home site. I don't know what Jeff used.

Being a relatively new airtow pilot, my wife was warned about several tug pilots. This one is heavy on the Dragonfly and tows fast. That one isn't a hang glider pilot and is used to towing banners, not people. In time she was towed by most everybody. Compared to what we are accustomed to, tows were much more aggressive in climb and speed. Some tug pilots on some days performed aggressive low level turns on tow out.

The staging on the day of the crash was more or less the same as the last day of Part 1 of the Open: East to West. Attached is an Airtribune screen shot showing Jeff's track; with the green triangle on the right about where the tow was started from. As I recall, the wind speed was forecast for 5-15 mph; images from that day show flags standing out and whipping. On that aforementioned last day of the previous comp, many tugs flew West toward the slot, banking 45-90 to the North before reaching the tree line, around tree top height. Amongst the many unknowns to me are how many pilots were towed up before Jeff and the path they took on the day of the crash.

Regarding the track log, Airtribune reports Jeff only gaining 1 or 2 meters altitude; the tow begins partly uphill, so reality may amount to even less. I have no idea how accurate Airtribune's figures or tracks are. The point at which Jeff's track diverts South correlates to about where the towed glider would be when tugs towing from the same direction previously began banking North. I have heard no report as to the disposition of the tug pulling Jeff at that point. What has been reported- http://ozreport.com/1463883968 -is that the tug pilot released the tow rope because the glider on lockout was turning the tug toward the tree line. Which tree line? I don't know- but it seems the tug was still lower than the tree line; while this might suggest a less aggressive rate of climb than generally previously witnessed by me, I haven't spoken to the tug pilot- whether the climb rate was a response to Jeff's position, conditions, loading of the tug, or some other reason, only they can say.

-Comments-

From the OZ Report:
We have a risk management plan in effect for this competition as a requirement from the USHPA for their insurance as well as for their future insurance situation.
By my reckoning, our insurance predicament is only a symptom of the primary issue the risk management plan seeks to address- pilots crashing. While some involved in officiating the comp gave voice to sentiment suggesting such an effort was a pointless exercise, the consideration given to removing incentives for pilots to stay on tow strikes me as well considered, and I witnessed the plan well and consistently implemented. Furthermore, the staging are was well staffed, and, to my eye, pilots were scrutinized appropriately before towing- though, given an objective of rapid processing, there was often a sense of haste. That said, I never saw or heard anyone rushed into launching.

Tolerances vary widely from pilot to pilot. Pilots, like parts, have a failure load or rate. The easy answer here is that Jeff locked out and should have released- but that isn't the whole picture. We can anticipate failure- pilot failure, equipment failure -is going to happen. Are we confronting that truth adequately? What margin was provided for failure? A few years back, our culture was such that no one interceded to stop a bag of money from being put on a cone at goal. Such a flamboyant failure was easy to see in hindsight, the skill of the very best no match for the margin provided.

What I know is that Jeff's hang gliding capacity was somewhere between my wife- who was warned from flying behind several tug pilots from multiple sources -and the rock stars looping into goal. Though she performed admirably, I was concerned at the time for her safety: conditions were something other than what would be expected for a pilot new to aerotowing. In retrospect, the shift in standards present in a competitive environment from regular day-to-day towing isn't tenable for me. Sure, many maintaining a higher capacity for challenge than me will transit a lifetime without fatal mishap. Some won't. Perversely, we seem to have come to view flying a bit like war- "not everybody makes it back- that's just the way it is". Maybe- or maybe, all the while vocally reminding ourselves that we fly for fun, we as a group have become inured to pressures and choices that marginalize our safety in this competitive environment. I struggle with the possibility that the goal of elevating all the participants rapidly aloft exceeded the skill of both glider and tug pilots, costing us a friend. I don't know- I wasn't there.

http://c2.staticflickr.com/8/7447/26578855104_69f4705474_o.jpg
Fuckin' gold mine. Note:

- Christopher posts this on the restricted access Davis Show where there strangely hasn't been a SINGLE other comment - before or since - on a major fatality at Davis Ground Zero.

- Davis nukes it a few milliseconds after its appearance. (Gawd I was lucky to get it.)

- There's no comment on the post or its disappearance ANYWHERE ('cept for Tad's Hole In The Ground, of course).

- Christopher says NOTHING on The Jack Show.

- The Jack Show has this pathetic little six posts substanceless obligatory outpouring of grief thread that went extinct the better part of two days ago.

The faster we kill off all our participants the less anybody's doing anything wrong.
Dave Gills

Post by Dave Gills »

Being a relatively new airtow pilot, my wife was warned about several tug pilots. This one is heavy on the Dragonfly and tows fast. That one isn't a hang glider pilot and is used to towing banners, not people. In time she was towed by most everybody. Compared to what we are accustomed to, tows were much more aggressive in climb and speed. Some tug pilots on some days performed aggressive low level turns on tow out.
:shock: There was a time when I was interested in doing a little AT in Florida.
Not so much now.
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

None of that scares me a tiny fraction as much as:

http://www.chgpa.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2467
weak links
Jim Rooney - 2007/08/01 13:47:23 UTC

Whatever's going on back there, I can fix it by giving you the rope.
http://www.hanggliding.org/viewtopic.php?t=34390
Tragedy at 2016 Quest Air Open
Ty Taylor (tizon) - 2016/05/23 23:59:43 UTC

My name is Tyson "Ty" Taylor (H3) and I am apart of the Houston Hang Gliding and Paragliding Association. I just wanted to express what I'm feeling about the tragic accident in Florida.

When I found out about the accident I was devastated because Jeff was a friend and mentor not just for me but for many pilots in the Houston area. I am still just absolutely depressed and sad...the words are not enough to describe our loss...because Jeff was really a GREAT guy.

I am new to the sport, having only spent just over a year flying...and I have followed the news of other fatal accidents and felt sorrow for the friends and family of the pilots. But this is the first time for me to lose someone I knew personally, and I honestly have been having a really tough time digesting the whole thing...

I go to the ozreport to get my news just like any other guy and ... this is just the way I feel... but, I find it pretty harsh that on the same day of the accident the ozreport has a photo of the top 3 podium finishers...smiling with their trophies...

This to me is just a disconnect for me...someone just died on the flight line that afternoon. How can anyone stand there and smile and hold up a trophy? REALLY? How about we take care of our Jeff first!!! and the next day, it's about the next task.

In the whole write up from the ozreport about Jeff...there is not one kind word about the man. Just the "facts" ...it was a "classic" lockout, the tug dropped the rope, and we had a safety plan in place.....I'm just disgusted with the way this has been dealt with...

What has become of the hang gliding culture?
NMERider was right...this sport is VERY unforgiving...

My name is Tyson "Ty" Taylor (H3) and I am apart of the Houston Hang Gliding and Paragliding Association.
Being apart from the Houston Hang Gliding and Paragliding Association is a pretty good move. The majority of them are total fucking douchebags.
I just wanted to express what I'm feeling about the tragic accident in Florida.
The tragic what?
When I found out about the accident I was devastated because Jeff was a friend and mentor not just for me but for many pilots in the Houston area.
Sorry, but that's probably not the sorta person you want as a mentor.
I am still just absolutely depressed and sad...
Good. Totally appropriate. Stay that way.
...the words are not enough to describe our loss...because Jeff was really a GREAT guy.
Great guy? I'll take your word for it. Great hang glider pilot?
I am new to the sport, having only spent just over a year flying...and I have followed the news of other fatal accidents...
None of them were accidents.
...and felt sorrow for the friends and family of the pilots.
I have a pretty narrow definition of the title "pilot".
But this is the first time for me to lose someone I knew personally, and I honestly have been having a really tough time digesting the whole thing...
Get used to it.
I go to the ozreport to get my news just like any other guy and ...
This other guy goes to The Davis Show to stay up on the lies, distortions, omissions.
...this is just the way I feel... but, I find it pretty harsh that on the same day of the accident the ozreport has a photo of the top 3 podium finishers...smiling with their trophies...
http://c2.staticflickr.com/8/7394/27205018655_892d8a0852_o.jpg

Welcome to hang gliding.
This to me is just a disconnect for me...someone just died on the flight line that afternoon. How can anyone stand there and smile and hold up a trophy? REALLY? How about we take care of our Jeff first!!! and the next day, it's about the next task.

In the whole write up from the ozreport about Jeff...there is not one kind word about the man. Just the "facts"...
Glad you used the quotation marks.
...it was a "classic" lockout, the tug dropped the rope, and we had a safety plan in place.....I'm just disgusted with the way this has been dealt with...
http://www.hanggliding.org/viewtopic.php?t=990
Interesting article involving Davis Straub
What has become of the hang gliding culture?
It STINKS. It's controlled by sleazy sociopaths. Tolerate them for decades, allow them in positions of authority and power and what you get is inevitable.
NMERider was right...this sport is VERY unforgiving...
Depends a lot on what it is being considered for forgiveness. Kill somebody through incompetence, stupidity, negligence... Rarely an issue. Call the culture to task for its incompetence, stupidity, negligence... Good freakin' luck.
2016/05/24 00:33:37 UTC - 3 thumbs up - NMERider
2016/05/24 01:27:07 UTC - 3 thumbs up - Red Howard
2016/05/24 02:17:15 UTC - 3 thumbs up - Allen Sparks
W9GFO - 2016/05/24 00:49:07 UTC

I understand your feelings, I even somewhat agree. Do you think Jeff would have wanted everyone to be morose and forget the awards ceremony? I doubt it.
Fuck the awards ceremony. Nobody who participated in that travesty had the right to enjoy anything until the problems that killed that guy were dealt with.
I did find it weird that when looking for more information on the accident I found the smiling pilots first...
How 'bout when you go to the "Volume 20 - 2016 full-heading index"?
Issue #102 (May 23):
Improved routes in the Flytec Connect - Moyes Demo Days - The Quest Air Open Part 2 - The Quest Air Open Part 2 - The Quest Air Open Part 2 - The Quest Air Open Part 2
Wanna find out:
- that this guy was slammed in and killed at launch? Go to "The Quest Air Open Part 2". Fourteen of them on the index page to date.
- about Yoko blowing her landing approach in one of the more forgiving landing environments the planet has to offer and breaking her pelvis?
Broken pelvis
Thanks to Airtribune for Live Tracking to help us find Yoko
Belinda and Tullio visit Yoko in the hospital
...but I don't blame them one bit for being happy that they did well - and showing it.
Fuck 'em. They're all enablers and I'm not the tiniest bit impressed by assholes who turn efficiently in thermals and go places. Takes zilch in the way of brains and character.
I am sure you are not suggesting that his accident had no affect...
Effect.
...on the people in the competition...
Where are the posts? We got one useful post on this one, Davis immediately deleted it, and nobody's calling the motherfucker on it. Nobody wants to rock the Davis, Quest, AT Industry, u$hPa boat and put his flying opportunities at risk so everybody who hooks up behind a Dragonfly at one of those pecker measuring contests is at the same risk of dying doing what he loves as Jeff was. Totally fuckin' DISGUSTS me.
...you are only commenting on the somewhat cold reporting of it.
Disingenuous, deceptive, ass covering bullshit.
With regards to the accident, the facts are all that matter.
Which is why all the u$hPa operatives do everything they can to make sure as few individuals as possible ever have access to them.
With regards to losing a human life, and paying tribute to that, well that is a separate thing.
Bullshit. It's joined at the hip - part of the DNA.
At the time of the report I think the name was not yet released so it makes sense at that point to not talk about the man.
You think. It's pretty much the norm for somebody to die at a Davis pecker measuring contest. The meet heads don't have emergency contacts for competitors? The families should be notified within the fuckin' hour. Been over seven weeks since Nancy died doing what she loved at Mission and we still don't have a last name. Family must be starting to get a bit worried.
In short, I don't think the ozreport did anything wrong.
How very odd. I don't think the cult leader and his Dedicated Sycophants have done anything the slightest bit RIGHT.
Compare this to the Australian paragliding accident that happened a week go.
Sorry, have neither the time nor energy to keep up with paragliders.
I keep checking the paragliding forum...
Fuck the Paragliding Forum.
...for more information about it but no one has said a peep about the accident, but there are plenty of news reports covering the emotional side.
2016/05/24 01:05:33 UTC - 3 thumbs up - NMERider
NMERider - 2016/05/24 01:11:27 UTC

I could not improve upon what W9GFO said.

One thing that they don't tell you in the hang gliding sales brochures and promotional materials or at the hang gliding schools is that there will be pain.
Don't forget the magazine. Remember when we had R.V. Wills and Doug Hildreth reporting on what was actually going on and making recommendations on dealing with it?
It's important to be able to withstand pain.
'Specially when you've got dickheads like Ryan Instant-Hands-Free-Release Voight and Jim Keen-Intellect Rooney teaching students how to be passengers on their wings and dickheads like Davis Dead-On Straub dictating to pilots what equipment they will and won't be using.
There is no shortage of pain in every sense of the word.
It's at an unsustainable level.
To the degree that you can accept all the different forms of pain as part of the overall experience then you shall flourish.
I have some better ideas about how to make this sewer of a sport work. Try this one...

At an AT comp if anyone crashes at launch or breaks a weak link while the glider's under control the whole event is scrubbed and nobody gets any official recognition for anything.
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

http://ozreport.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=47939
Christopher LeFay - 2016/05/22 18:21:11 UTC

Yeah, he got loosed alright. His Standard Quest Link increased the safety of the towing operation and his unnamed tug driver fixed whatever was going on back there by giving him the rope just to make sure. And, strangely, the double dose did him no good whatsoever.

http://www.hanggliding.org/viewtopic.php?t=14230
pro tow set-up
Ryan Voight - 2009/11/03 05:24:31 UTC

It works best in a lockout situation... if you're banked away from the tug and have the bar back by your belly button... let it out. Glider will pitch up, break weaklink, and you fly away.

During a "normal" tow you could always turn away from the tug and push out to break the weaklink... but why would you?

Have you never pondered what you would do in a situation where you CAN'T LET GO to release? I'd purposefully break the weaklink, as described above. Instant hands free release Image
Jim Rooney - 2009/11/03 06:16:56 UTC

As for being in a situation where you can't or don't want to let go, Ryan's got the right idea. They're called "weak" links for a reason. Overload that puppy and you bet your ass it's going to break.

You can tell me till you're blue in the face about situations where it theoretically won't let go or you can drone on and on about how "weaklinks only protect the glider" (which is BS btw)... and I can tell ya... I could give a crap, cuz just pitch out abruptly and that little piece of string doesn't have a chance in hell. Take your theory and shove it... I'm saving my a$$.
Go figure.
We all confront loss in our own way.
Which never seems to include fixing the relevant problems and having responsible parties stood up in front of walls.
Past horrors leave us looking for what we can- or think we can -control.
How many hands do we typically need to control a hang glider and where is it best to have them?
We try to shape how we feel by assigning meaning. The common resolutions- "never again", "this loss will change us", "not for nothing" -are matched with the refrains of solace - "the real tragedy would have been not having the courage to really ever live", "he died doing what he loved". Nods of affirmation all around. Later there will be a memorial place or annual commemorative event.
When was the last time you heard Zack Marzec's name mentioned at some place other than Kite Strings? When was the last time you mentioned his name?
We'll hope to see the day when the pain of loss is eclipsed by the gratitude of memory.
Whatever you say, Christopher.
Seeking understanding is another natural recourse.
What are the purposes of the aerotow weak link and how do we determine the strength we need to best effect those purposes? Limit your response to fourteen pages.
If there is utility beyond a semblance of control, that depends on each of us- together.
To that end, here following are observations, concerns, and questions relating to the death of Jeff Bohl. Contribute constructively if you will- otherwise, find some other venue.
Get some people behind bars to get some other people really thinking about what they're doing and saying.
-Context-

I just left Quest Air Open, Part 1, last week; I was driving for my wife, who participated in the comp. Our last morning in Florida found friends gathered around a bunch of I-Hop tables pushed together, Jeff behind a wall of food. I kept thinking "there's no way he can eat the whole menu"- but, being an athlete, he made a noble attempt to do just that.
Being an athlete...

http://www.hanggliding.org/viewtopic.php?t=30824
Article "Pushing Out" Feb 2014 HG mag
NMERider - 2014/02/25 06:05:06 UTC

Ryan is a classic example of a superbly talented athlete who is ill-equipped to write a comprehensive training manual or academically meaningful text.
...isn't particularly important as far as the fundamentals of this sport are concerned.
The night before held my favorite moment from the week: at the final evening pilot meeting, Davis responded to complaints that only a select few pilots were being singled out for recognition by acknowledging that there were 43 pilots in the Open Class- at which point, Jeff leapt to his feet, starry eyed, waving a hand over head as he began to make his way to the stage, as though just having his named called out on The Price is Right. Such sincere, self deprecating humor. I treasure it.
Did anyone ask Jeff what the breaking strength of his weak link was and how much pull he'd need to use to blow his bent pin barrel release at just under that tension? Assuming, of course...

http://www.hanggliding.org/viewtopic.php?t=21033
barrels release without any tension except weight of rope..
Bart Weghorst - 2011/02/25 19:06:26 UTC

I've had it once where the pin had bent inside the barrel from excessive tow force. My weaklink was still intact. The tug pilot's weaklink broke so I had the rope. I had to use two hands to get the pin out of the barrel.

No stress because I was high.
...it hadn't already welded itself shut.
Back in Houston, near the home flying site we both shared, there's a Jeff-shaped hole that will never be filled.
You had your chances to do something years before. You did NOTHING - and worse.
-Observations-

The standard weaklink used at Quest is...
...fifty-four percent...
...stronger than what...
...Quest and its malignant spawn screamed for decades was the ideal one-size-fits-all standard weak link and forced everyone and his fuckin' dog within its sphere of influence to use regardless of the degree of inconvenience carnage it was perpetrating.
...we use at our home site;
- And make sure you don't give us any actual numbers, materials, test strengths, reasons weak links are varied according to geography.

03-1304
http://c1.staticflickr.com/3/2938/13700558193_0e0946218e_o.png

- Your home site is Houston and I can one hundred percent guarantee you that not everybody at your home site uses what we use at our home site.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/aerotowrelease/8305393601/
...at the first pilot meeting...
Pity you didn't have any actual pilots at the first pilot meeting - just the usual collection of pro toad, easy reaching, pin benders.
...pilots were instructed about acquiring the stronger links.
"OK, pilots. If you need to acquire a stronger weak link ask one of our cart monkeys for a stronger weak link. And be sure to make it clear that it's one of the STRONGER weak links that you want to acquire. If no one has any questions on this I'd like to remind you that if you release early in a low level lockout we'll move you back up to the head of the launch line. So there's absolutely no need to delay releasing in a low level lockout - that the stronger weak link you just acquired may not be able to prevent the way the old weaker weak link always would."
(I don't trust my recollection of either well enough to provide numbers- if you know, please share.)
No, Christopher. Ever since the afternoon of 2013/02/02 it's become critically important that no one mention any actual numbers when discussing the focal point of our safe towing system.
My wife is on the light side...
Good job not giving us any numbers on her either.
...and she was instructed...
"Instructed"? Not ordered?
...to stay with the weaker links we commonly use at our home site.
- So how come Quest has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING about weak links up on its website? Are comp weak links different from recreational weak links. Why are they wasting everybody's time in comp pilots meetings teaching Aerotowing 101 when they could so easily have up on their publicly accessible website what weak links different pilots should be using and why?

It was so much simpler back in the pre 2012/02/02 days when we had Jim Keen-Intellect Rooney telling us to use 130 pound greenspun or fuck off.

- And here I was thinking that...

http://ozreport.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=31052
Poll on weaklinks
Jim Rooney - 2013/03/04 19:31:36 UTC

The accepted standards and practices changed.
I still won't tow people with doubled up weaklinks. You don't get to "make shit up". I don't "make shit up" for that matter either.

We all play by the same rules, or we don't play.
Morningside decided that they were happy with 200lb weaklink. They changed their tug's link and they don't just pass the stuff out either. If you'd like to know more about it... go ask them.
The law of the land at comps was 130lb greenspot or you don't tow. Seriously. It was announced before the comp that this would be the policy. Some guys went and made their case to the safety committee and were shut down. So yeah, sorry... suck it up.
...we all played by the same rules or we didn't play. Looks like fairness has just gone down the toilet with these lighter pilots using safer weak links. What's next? Smaller gliders for lighter pilots? Shorter harnesses for shorter pilots? Where will it all end?

- How 'bout li'l Niki here?

11-4120
http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2934/14062779771_0d7fb040e6_o.png

You could probably take her up with you tandem on a big solo glider without much of a problem.

02-00820
http://c2.staticflickr.com/8/7252/27169646315_9af9a62298_o.png

Doesn't look she was instructed to stay with the weaker links we commonly use at our home site.

- Lighter pilots fly smaller gliders. And, because all glider sizes for any given model use the same airframe materials, smaller gliders can take higher G loading than larger gliders. Right? Any disagreement there? Good. So if the purpose of the weak link is...
Tost Flugzeuggerätebau

Weak links protect your aircraft against overloading.
...to protect your aircraft against overloading then why are smaller gliders using LIGHTER - rather than HEAVIER - weak links. Still trying to use them as pitch and lockout protectors? How's that...

2016/02/02 - Tomas Banevicius
2016/04/03 - Nancy Doe (still)
2016/05/21 - Jeff Bohl

...been working out lately?

- Do tell us what you're using at your home site and how it was determined to be such a great one-size-fits-all aerotow weak link and the problems you had with the other flavors of fishing line with which you experimented.
I don't know what Jeff used.
- Tad-O-Link - OBVIOUSLY.

- Why not? It was his Standard Quest Link - the one that Davis is so fucking happy with - that increased the safety of the towing operation for him. Why don't we know what weak link he was using, glider he was flying, helmet he was wearing?
Being a relatively new airtow pilot, my wife was warned about several tug pilots.
What was the point? Pretty much all of them are...

http://www.chgpa.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3600
Weak link question
Jim Rooney - 2008/11/24 05:18:15 UTC

Well, I'm assuming there was some guff about the tug pilot's right of refusal?
Gee, didn't think we'd have to delve into "pilot in command"... I figured that one's pretty well understood in a flying community.

It's quite simple.
The tug is a certified aircraft... the glider is an unpowered ultralight vehicle. The tug pilot is the pilot in command. You are a passenger. You have the same rights and responsibilities as a skydiver.
It's a bitter pill I'm sure, but there you have it.

BTW, if you think I'm just spouting theory here, I've personally refused to tow a flight park owner over this very issue. I didn't want to clash, but I wasn't towing him. Yup, he wanted to tow with a doubled up weaklink. He eventually towed (behind me) with a single and sorry to disappoint any drama mongers, we're still friends. And lone gun crazy Rooney? Ten other tow pilots turned him down that day for the same reason.
...total douchebags. And how come we only know the name of the passenger who was killed and not the name of the Pilot In Command who killed him?
This one is heavy on the Dragonfly and tows fast.
Sounds like bullshit. Little higher stall speed, I doubt if it has any appreciable bearing on the tow.
That one isn't a hang glider pilot...
Who gives a flying fuck? Give me a scenario in which that would matter in the least.
...and is used to towing banners, not people.
So? Does that make him more likely to pull a dangerous hard low level turn 'cause he's used to towing something that can't lock out and die?
In time she was towed by most everybody. Compared to what we are accustomed to, tows were much more aggressive in climb and speed.
Getting through the kill zone quickly is a bad thing?
Some tug pilots on some days performed aggressive low level turns on tow out.
- How many gliders opted to abort? My call is ZERO. (Making the easy reach to the pro toad release would be a hundred times as dangerous as riding things out.)

- Compare...

http://ozreport.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=24846
Is this a joke ?
Davis Straub - 2011/08/26 14:04:52 UTC

We had six weaklink breaks in a row at Zapata this year. Russell Brown (tug pilot, tug owner, Quest Air owner) said go ahead and double up (four strands of Cortland Greenspot). He knows I used his Zapata weaklink in Big Spring (pilots were asked to tell the tug pilot if they were doing that).
...Contrast.
The staging on the day of the crash was more or less the same as the last day of Part 1 of the Open: East to West. Attached is an Airtribune screen shot showing Jeff's track; with the green triangle on the right about where the tow was started from.
http://c2.staticflickr.com/8/7447/26578855104_69f4705474_o.jpg
As I recall, the wind speed was forecast for 5-15 mph; images from that day show flags standing out and whipping. On that aforementioned last day of the previous comp, many tugs flew West toward the slot, banking 45-90...
They're not BANKING 45-90. They're TURNING 45-90.
...to the North before reaching the tree line, around tree top height. Amongst the many unknowns to me are how many pilots were towed up before Jeff and the path they took on the day of the crash.

Regarding the track log, Airtribune reports Jeff only gaining 1 or 2 meters altitude; the tow begins partly uphill, so reality may amount to even less.
http://ozreport.com/20.102
The Quest Air Open Part 2
Davis Straub - 2016/05/22 02:26:08 UTC

Fausto Arcos who was in the front of the launch line just in front of me watched the whole thing and said it was a "classic" progressive lockout. The pilot needed to release much earlier before it became non-recoverable.

The pilot's weak link broke at apparently the same time as tug pilot gave him the rope. The tug pilot gave the hang glider pilot the rope because the hang glider pilot's glider was pulling the tow plane's tail to the east forcing the tug toward trees that the tug with this drag would not be able to get above. All of the hang glider's undersurface was visible in the tug pilot's mirror.
Does that sound like the tow only got to one or two meters or maybe even less?
I have no idea how accurate Airtribune's figures or tracks are. The point at which Jeff's track diverts South correlates to about where the towed glider would be when tugs towing from the same direction previously began banking North.
Again...

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/texas-man-dies-hang-gliding-accident-central-florida-39359396
Texas Man Dies in Hang Gliding Accident in Central Florida - ABC News
Associated Press - 2016/05/25 09:20 UTC
Groveland

A Lake County sheriff's report says Bohl's hang glider was being towed by an airplane and reached about 30 feet in the air before crashing to the ground. Bohr was pronounced dead at the scene.
One to two meters or even less?
I have heard no report as to the disposition of the tug pulling Jeff at that point.
Go figure. (We don't know much more about him than we do about Kelly Harrison's 2015/03/27 driver.)
What has been reported- http://ozreport.com/1463883968 -is that the tug pilot released the tow rope because the glider on lockout was turning the tug toward the tree line.
What was reported was that:

http://ozreport.com/20.102
The Quest Air Open Part 2
Davis Straub - 2016/05/22 02:26:08 UTC

The pilot's weak link broke at apparently the same time as tug pilot gave him the rope.
which is total bullshit because it's only physically possible for a weak link to blow BEFORE a release is actuated. The release actuation was totally irrelevant as to the progression, outcome of the tow but it does tell us a lot about what was going on with the tug driver.

Also note that we have an NTSB investigator...

http://www.wesh.com/news/person-dies-in-groveland-hanggliding-crash/39664746
Person dies in Groveland hang-gliding crash | Local News - WESH Home
Matt Lupoli - 2016/05/22 02:27 UTC

An NTSB investigator tells us a tow rope broke loose causing the airsports craft to crash into the ground just before two o'clock Saturday afternoon.
...who, in the only statement the public has from him, is LYING. And nobody in the hang gliding "community" seems to give the least degree of rat's ass. (Guess we only get bent outta shape when dead paragliders get reported as dead hang gliders.)
Which tree line? I don't know- but it seems the tug was still lower than the tree line; while this might suggest a less aggressive rate of climb than generally previously witnessed by me...
So you're saying that a more aggressive rate of climb would've put both planes above the treeline without the incentive for the hard turn which was pretty fuckin' obviously what precipitated the fatal lockout?

http://ozreport.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9230
Departing the launch cart
Jim Rooney - 2007/09/01 02:39:53 UTC

Which brings us to the reason to have a 914 in the first place... you need one.
Something made you get a 914 instead of a 582. 914s are horribly expensive to own and maintain. If you own one, you need it... it's a safety thing. Short runways, tall trees, whatever. You've got a 914 to increase your safety margin.
http://www.chgpa.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3661
Flying the 914 Dragonfly
Jim Rooney - 2008/12/06 20:01:49 UTC

You will only ever need full throttle for the first fifty feet of a tandem tow. Don't ever pull a solo at full throttle... they will not be able to climb with you. You can tow them at 28 mph and you'll still leave them in the dust... they just won't be able to climb with you... weaklinks will go left and right.
Anybody hear about any Quest Open weak link breaks other than the one of Jeff's deeply and fatally deep into the lockout?
I haven't spoken to the tug pilot-
Which indicates Christopher knows who he is and that he's probably Houston area - hopefully Bart Weghorst.
...whether the climb rate was a response to Jeff's position, conditions, loading of the tug, or some other reason, only they can say.
And haven't.
-Comments-

From the OZ Report:
We have a risk management plan in effect for this competition as a requirement from the USHPA for their insurance as well as for their future insurance situation.
By my reckoning, our insurance predicament is only a symptom of the primary issue the risk management plan seeks to address- pilots crashing.
I would say not so much. The insurance people don't care whether or not we kill ourselves - just what we do to innocent bystanders and their property. But the rate at which we crash is a damn good indicator of our competence in keeping our gliders under control and thus innocent bystanders and their property safe.
While some involved in officiating the comp gave voice to sentiment suggesting such an effort was a pointless exercise, the consideration given to removing incentives for pilots to stay on tow strikes me as well considered...
Suck my dick, Christopher.
...and I witnessed the plan well and consistently implemented.
Oh. So you saw a good many pilots getting into low level lockouts releasing as early as possible...

07-300

...because they were confident that they wouldn't hafta go back to the end of the line for a relight. Get fucked.
Furthermore, the staging are was well staffed, and, to my eye, pilots were scrutinized appropriately before towing-
Everybody making sure everybody was properly equipped with the same cheap bent pin shit that Jeff died on.
...though, given an objective of rapid processing, there was often a sense of haste.
Oh. So that might have been a factor in Saturday's fatal lockout.
That said, I never saw or heard anyone rushed into launching.
Unless you count Western hang gliding culture in general.
Tolerances vary widely from pilot to pilot. Pilots, like parts, have a failure load or rate. The easy answer here is that Jeff locked out and should have released- but that isn't the whole picture.
http://www.chgpa.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3107
I have a tandem rating!!!
Lauren Tjaden - 2008/03/23 22:20:15 UTC

When Jim got me locked out to the right, I couldn't keep the pitch of the glider with one hand for more than a second (the pressure was a zillion pounds, more or less), but the F'ing release slid around when I tried to hit it. The barrel release wouldn't work because we had too much pressure on it.

Anyhow, the tandem can indeed perform big wingovers, as I demonstrated when I finally got separated from the tug.
http://www.chgpa.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3391
More on Zapata and weak link
Paul Tjaden - 2008/07/22 04:32:22 UTC

I have never had a lockout situation happen so quickly and dramatically and had no chance to release as I have always thought I could do.
We can anticipate failure- pilot failure, equipment failure -is going to happen.
The "equipment" had failed before Bobby Fucking-Genius Bailey had first brought it out into daylight after his ten minute design and construction phase. The pilot had failed when he made the decision to go up with it. End of fuckin' story.
Are we confronting that truth adequately?
I'm sorry, Christopher... I didn't quite catch that. Any chance you could pull your head outta your ass just a bit and repeat it?
What margin was provided for failure? A few years back, our culture was such that no one interceded to stop a bag of money from being put on a cone at goal.
So fuckin' what? How does the danger of that move stack up against:
- people running off ramps sans hook-in checks?
- Rooney Links being used as pitch and lockout protectors?
- flying final on the control tubes for better roll control authority?
- spot landing contests?
Such a flamboyant failure was easy to see in hindsight...
No fuckin' way anyone could've seen it in foresight.
...the skill of the very best no match for the margin provided.
Bullshit. He reached for the bag with his arm IN FRONT of the basetube. If he'd stayed behind it he could've repeated that drill all the goddam week.
What I know is that Jeff's hang gliding capacity was somewhere between my wife- who was warned from flying behind several tug pilots from multiple sources -and the rock stars looping into goal.
Bull fucking shit. Hang gliding "capacity", skill, experience had ZILCH to do with this one.
Manned Kiting - 1974

"Never take your hands off the bar." - Tom Peghiny
Gregg B. McNamee - 1996/12

Common sense tells us that the last thing we want to do in an emergency situation is give up control of the glider in order to terminate the tow.
If your system requires you to take your hand off the control bar to actuate the release it is not suitable.
British Hang Gliding and Paragliding Association Technical Manual - 2003/04

On tow the Pilot in Command must have his hand actually on the release at all times. 'Near' the release is not close enough! When you have two hands completely full of locked-out glider, taking one off to go looking for the release guarantees that your situation is going to get worse before it gets better.
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/skysailingtowing/message/6726
Weaklinks
Peter Birren - 2008/10/27 23:41:49 UTC

Imagine if you will, just coming off the cart and center punching a thermal which takes you instantly straight up while the tug is still on the ground. Know what happens? VERY high towline forces and an over-the-top lockout. You'll have both hands on the basetube pulling it well past your knees but the glider doesn't come down and still the weaklink doesn't break (.8G). So you pull whatever release you have but the one hand still on the basetube isn't enough to hold the nose down and you pop up and over into an unplanned semi-loop. Been there, done that... at maybe 200 feet agl.
Dennis Pagen - 2005/01

By the time we gained about sixty feet I could no longer hold the glider centered - I was probably at a twenty degree bank - so I quickly released before the lockout to the side progressed. The glider instantly whipped to the side in a wingover maneuver.
Doug Hildreth - 1991/06

Pilot with some tow experience was towing on a new glider which was a little small for him. Good launch, but at about fifty feet the glider nosed up, stalled, and the pilot released by letting go of the basetube with right hand. Glider did a wingover to the left and crashed into a field next to the tow road. Amazingly, there were minimal injuries.

Comment: This scenario has been reported numerous times. Obviously, the primary problem is the lack of pilot skill and experience in avoiding low-level, post-launch, nose-high stalls. The emphasis by countless reporters that the pilot lets go of the glider with his right hand to activate the release seems to indicate that we need a better hands-on way to release.

I know, I know, "If they would just do it right. Our current system is really okay." I'm just telling you what's going on in the real world. They are not doing it right and it's up to us to fix the problem. Think about it.
What is it about this scenario that you total dickheads are having so much trouble understanding?
Though she performed admirably, I was concerned at the time for her safety: conditions were something other than what would be expected for a pilot new to aerotowing. In retrospect, the shift in standards present in a competitive environment from regular day-to-day towing isn't tenable for me. Sure, many maintaining a higher capacity for challenge than me will transit a lifetime without fatal mishap. Some won't. Perversely, we seem to have come to view flying a bit like war- "not everybody makes it back- that's just the way it is". Maybe- or maybe, all the while vocally reminding ourselves that we fly for fun, we as a group have become inured to pressures and choices that marginalize our safety in this competitive environment. I struggle with the possibility that the goal of elevating all the participants rapidly aloft exceeded the skill of both glider and tug pilots, costing us a friend. I don't know- I wasn't there.
You're not ANYWHERE, Christopher. Never have been or will be.
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

Tad Eareckson - 2013/02/08 20:44:05 UTC

This is THE BEST opportunity we will have in our lifetimes to kill this 130 pound Greenspot "standard aerotow weak link" bullshit.
Kite strings did that one. Donnell's certifiably insane Infallible Weak Link and its astoundingly certifiably insane spawn - the standard aerotow weak link - are history. And the reputations of the advocates are irreparably demolished.

This is the best window we're ever gonna have to do likewise with the easily reachable release - another Hewett product - and its proponents.

I'm massively overwhelmed now and will be for a long time to come. Do what you can. It's an extremely target rich environment. And don't take no fuckin' prisoners - 'specially not Davis.
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

Davis Straub - 2016/05/24 04:16:53 UTC

Yah, I think that the report was pretty cold also. It left out, on purpose, the human being who died.
Along with the:
- name of the asshole who was pulling him
- strengths of the front and back end weak links
- release system he was(n't) using
- micrometeorological conditions at the time
- rating, special skills, AT experience of your victim
The report was written late that night after I worked with Jeff''s boss and another UAL airline pilot at United Airlines and with Bart Weghorst...
http://www.hanggliding.org/viewtopic.php?t=21033
barrels release without any tension except weight of rope..
Bart Weghorst - 2011/02/25 19:06:26 UTC

But I've had it once where the pin had bent inside the barrel from excessive tow force. My weaklink was still intact. The tug pilot's weaklink broke so I had the rope. I had to use two hands to get the pin out of the barrel.
No stress because I was high.
Is this a joke ?
Bart Weghorst - 2011/08/28 20:29:27 UTC

Now I don't give a shit about breaking strength anymore. I really don't care what the numbers are. I just want my weaklink to break every once in a while.
Ever consider the replacement cost of an airline pilot with Jeff's qualifications and at his experience level? A guy snuffed instantly solely because of your incompetence and deliberate negligence in running an AT comp?
...as he contacted the nearest person that he could to Jeff to work out the first details that need to be dealt with when someone dies.
You should be really good at that sorta thing by now, Davis. (The more you totally suck at running a meet...)
At that point I and everyone else had been asked not to reveal who had died until the next of kin were contacted.
Anything else you were asked not to reveal?
They still had not been even late that evening.

As a meet organizer...
You should've had your balls cut off and shoved down your throat as the first in a long series of disciplinary actions in response to your usual obscene level of negligence in conducting the competition.
I had some specific duties that I had to take care of on that Saturday night.
Really? Where are these specific duties specified?
One was handing out the prizes, prize money and trophies. It certainly wasn't as pleasant as I would have hoped.
How terrible that must've been for you.
After two days of not flying things were already pretty depressed on the final day and I had hoped for a huge improvement in the foul moods with the great looking weather that we were experiencing.
Great thermal activity, huh? So maybe he got hit by an invisible dust devil like the one that had made the Zack Marzec fatality totally unavoidable at that field a bit over three years earlier.
It all came to a complete halt as we witnessed the terrible sight right in front of us.
Well, he was obviously more concerned about the inconvenience involved with a relight than he was about his safety margins. Made no effort whatsoever to release. Shit happens when you're flying people with cavalier attitudes such as his. (Obviously not very concerned about the effect his fatal crash would have on other competitors either.)
You might note that it was Mike Degtoff from Texas who sent me both pictures, the one of Jeff and the one of the top three competitors. Otherwise you would not have seen either.
How come the shot of the three top competitors was 940x380...

http://c2.staticflickr.com/8/7394/27205018655_892d8a0852_o.jpg

...and the one of Jeff was 500x281...

...with only about 122x203 of that being of Jeff - such crappy resolution that the two strands of his Standard Quest Link are only one pixel wide?
I expect that his family will be here tomorrow.
Good thing you deleted Christopher's post from The Davis Show when you did, then wasn't it?

And I certainly hope they thank you appropriately for having that really excellent risk management plan in effect for that competition as a requirement from the USHPA for their insurance as well as for their future insurance situation - motherfucker.
Scot Huber - 2016/05/24 04:45:52 UTC

My condolences and deepest sympathy to everyone who knew Jeff.

We at Lake McClure in Ca. were remembering and reminiscing about the loss of our dear friend Ken Muscio at that very hour.

His death in January from a midair collision, tumble and crash, left a big hole in a lot of hearts.

All I can say is use the experience of pain and loss to reinvest your life in your profoundest understanding of existence. Let it in other words be a positive force of the Grace of suffering to make you a better person, now.

This is the only way to honor the loss of a true friend.
Shove it - asshole. And I don't recall Ken making a lot of useful contributions to discussions like this one either.
NMERider - 2016/05/24 05:36:32 UTC

Speaking of the Morose....

At exactly 10:31 PDT in Santa Barbara, CA while Jeff was in his unrecoverable lockout at 13:31 EDT in Florida, me and Fast Eddy drove up Gibraltar Road past a group of school children who were standing at the very same spot where another group of school children had been standing a few years ago when our friend Ron fell a thousand feet to his death as his seventeen year old daughter watched helplessly from above in Ron's tandem.
What had been Ron's tandem.
The children saw the entire horrific scene unfold because the sound of screams travel roughly seven times faster than the free falling human emitting them.

Never forget what I said about the sport of free flight being unforgiving and a source of pain. Your odds of enjoying the ecstasy aspects for decades to come will probably be better as long as you remain painfully aware of the fates of others.
Gotta do a lot more than that. I imagine Jeff was remaining painfully aware of the previous two hang gliding fatalities:

2016/02/02 - Tomas Banevicius
2016/04/03 - Nancy Doe

both towing on total shit equipment with incompetent drivers. Yet he went up on total shit equipment with an incompetent driver.
And never romanticize fatal injuries with the cliché about people dying while doing what they loved. It's a lie. I learned this lesson from friends who witnessed Stuart Soule falling five hundred feet to his death in 1976 beneath the broken wreckage of his glider screaming all the way until there was a thud. Somehow I doubt that he among many others died doing what they loved.
Mike Bomstad

Everyone who lives dies, yet not everyone who dies, has lived.
We take these risks not to escape life, but to prevent life escaping us.
Ty Taylor - 2016/05/24 12:21:14 UTC

I'm sorry guys, I know Davis means well...
Fuck that son of a bitch. He's never once in his entire existence ever meant well about anything that didn't benefit him and/or his sleazy cronies.
..if it wasn't for him there wouldn't be any comps in the first place...
- Right Ty. It would be physically impossible to have a hang gliding competition anywhere on the planet if it were not for the existence of Davis. How privileged we all are to exist in this magic era of his lifespan.

- And how could any of us ever hope to enjoy any aspect of hang gliding if it weren't for the existence of Davis comps? Not to mention the evolution of safety equipment and procedures they drive to the stratospheric levels we all now enjoy.
...and I don't hold anything against the pilots with their trophies either...
Fuck the pilots and their goddam trophies.

http://airtribune.com/qao22016/results
Results | 2016 Quest Air Open (Part 2)
left to right:
John Simon, 3rd place
Oleg Bondarchuk, 2nd place
Jonny Durand, 1st place
Can anyone quote me one of these motherfuckers contributing something to the discussion about Jeff?
...just the whole thing looked bad...
'Cause it is.
...(from the internet point of view)...
From ANY point of view.
...and ... I keep going back to what Jeff would have wanted. Jeff would have wanted me to be at those comps...
Likely one of his last thoughts.
...and I would have gone if I had the time off....to get better as a pilot and fly with the best in the world...that is what Jeff would have wanted.
Fuck that. None of those motherfuckers qualify as pilots flying the cheap shit they did and tolerating its use by others. That wasn't a flying comp. That was a low probability Russian roulette exercise.
My plans for flying XC this summer are still on...
You're another Houston guy. How are you planning on getting up and what are you planning on doing differently to eliminate the possibility of a rerun?
...its just that Jeff will be way up in the sky.
He'll be -6' AGL.
Jim Gaar - 2016/05/24 12:52:53 UTC

Fly for Jeff my friend!
http://ozreport.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=30971
Zach Marzec
Jim Gaar - 2013/02/13 17:57:05 UTC

Former Flight Park Manager

Because it has the best known and accountable safety record (in my personal books anyway).
Suck my dick, Rodie.
NMERider - 2016/05/24 12:53:39 UTC

Ty,

Do it because it's what you want and be inspired by your memories of Jeff to do your best and to always seek joy and personal satisfaction from it. Honor your friends through your happiness in the pursuit but do because it's what you want.

Cheers,
Jonathan
You've gotta do better than Jeff and everybody else at Quest for that event.
2016/05/25 02:51:38 UTC - 3 thumbs up - Ty Taylor
Dave Gills - 2016/05/25 22:55:39 UTC

Russian mouth release in use.

25-32016
http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5548/14306846174_185f09082e_o.png
And just after being used:

09-10817
http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5530/14120804830_2aabd74d25_o.png
Notice there is no weak link or secondary release. (they are not needed)
You NEED a weak link. You probably won't ever need it if you're otherwise properly equipped but you need one anyway and it's stupid not to have one. You need one if for no other reason than to make sure your release doesn't get overloaded. And the one you need will be one that has zero chance of blowing while the tow's still under any semblance of control. And you also need one to comply with FAA aerotowing regulations - not that any of those total fucking douchebags give a rat's ass about enforcing any actual hang gliding safety regulations.
Immediate activation with both hands on control bar. (Just open jaws 1/4")
Zach Marzec
Jim Rooney - 2013/02/12 18:00:27 UTC

Your second statement is why.
I just buried my friend and you want me to have a nice little discussion about pure speculation about his accident so that some dude that's got a pet project wants to push his theories?

Deltaman loves his mouth release.
BFD

I get tired as hell "refuting" all these mouth release and "strong link" arguments. Dig through the forums if you want that. I've been doing it for years but unfortunately the peddlers are religious in their beliefs so they find justification any way they can to "prove" their stuff. This is known as "Confirmation Bias"... seeking data to support your theory... it's back-asswards. Guess what? The shit doesn't work. If it did, we'd be using it everywhere. But it doesn't stand the test of reality.

AT isn't new. This stuff's been worked on and worked over for years and thousands upon thousands of tows. I love all these egomaniacs that jump up and decide that they're going to "fix" things, as if no one else has ever thought of this stuff?

But back to the root of my anger... speculation.
Much like confirmation bias, he's come here to shoehorn his pet little project into a discussion. Please take your snake oil and go elsewhere.

Tune him up?
Yeah, sorry... no.
Stephan Mentler - 2016/05/26 00:12:56 UTC

Why not have a similar mechanism, but attached to the basebar.
For a one point system? Why the fuck WOULD anyone go to the basetube? One point is attached to the shoulders as is the pilot's head and mouth. Zilch relative movement. But stick it on the basetube where there's TONS of relative movement - pitch and/or roll extremes. Ya think there might be some good reasons the people who actually bother to design these things design them they way they do? Ever hear of a Mosquito type power system with a throttle that wasn't bite controlled?
Though, I would incorporate a secondary barrel release...
- A bent pin model, of course.

- WHY? If you were flying a sailplane would you incorporate a secondary barrel release? Ever hear of a sailplane NEEDING a secondary barrel release?
...and weak-link.
- What:
-- strength?
-- would be your expectations of it? Another emergency backup release like your bent pin barrel?
Where can you purchase the release that is in the photograph?
http://mouthrelease.com/

But right now, as luck would have it, it's showing:
Suspected Malware Site
Davis Straub - 2016/05/26 00:31:26 UTC

http://ozreport.com/19.161#1
Two stage mouth/barrel release
http://ozreport.com/13.083#0
Combined release and bridle

I have attempted in the past to purchase a mouth release. I had thought that they might be available from Aeros in the Ukraine. I know of no US dealer.
Did you ever make the slightest fucking effort to go through Aleksey - the guy in your first reference?
Mouth releases are an excellent idea for improving safety at the initial stage of an aerotow, maybe the first 30 or 40 feet of altitude.
Beyond that...

Is this a joke ?
Marc Fink - 2011/08/28 21:11:09 UTC

I once locked out on an early laminarST aerotowing. went past vertical and past 45 degrees to the line of pull-- and the load forces were increasing dramatically. The weaklink blew and the glider stalled--needed every bit of the 250 ft agl to speed up and pull out. I'm alive because I didn't use a stronger one.

So how about wheels and single hang straps (seeing how we've exhumed the dead horses)?
Totally useless. And the Davis Link - that only a few little girls are using now - is great once you've cracked 250 feet. (Wanna run your mouth some more about dead horses? You cocksucking little piece o' shit.)
You get out of whack, you just release by opening your mouth.
- Brilliant! Why didn't any of us ever think of anything like that?

- Big fuckin' deal...

http://ozreport.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=24534
It's a wrap
Lauren Tjaden - 2011/08/01 02:01:06 UTC

For whomever asked about the function of a weak link, it is to release the glider and plane from each other when the tow forces become greater than desirable -- whether that is due to a lockout or a malfunction of equipment or whatever. This can save a glider, a tow pilot, or more often, a hang glider pilot who does not get off of tow when he or she gets too far out of whack.

I rarely break weak links -- in fact, I believe the last one was some two years ago, and I have never broken one on a tandem (probably because I am light and also because I change them whenever they show any signs of wear). They are a good thing to have, though!!
We've already got the Davis Link to do that for us. I have no freakin' clue why...

Poll on weaklinks
Davis Straub - 2013/03/06 18:29:05 UTC

You know, after all this discussion I'm now convinced that it is a very good idea to treat the weaklink as a release, that that is exactly what we do when we have a weaklink on one side of a pro tow bridle. That that is exactly what has happened to me in a number of situations and that the whole business about a weaklink only for the glider not breaking isn't really the case nor a good idea for hang gliding.

I'm happy to have a relatively weak weaklink, and have never had a serious problem with the Greenspot 130, just an inconvenience now and then.
...you put that guy up on a Tad-O-Link. Bit of inconvenience now and then instead of a competitor fatality and scrub of the final flying day. The Tad-O-Link ended up causing at least five or ten times the inconvenience the Davis Link would've.
You don't have to take your hand off the base tube.
So?

Poll on weaklinks
Davis Straub - 2013/03/10 14:09:22 UTC

I've had no problem releasing my barrel release hundreds of times.
What real world advantage is that supposed to bestow?
Davis Straub - 2016/05/26 00:38:46 UTC

http://ozreport.com/10.061#1
Mouth piece release
http://ozreport.com/10.063#1
Mouth Release
http://ozreport.com/10.066#1
Mouth release
http://ozreport.com/10.103#2
Mouth Release
But no fuckin' way could US hang gliding develop and get into circulation anything functional in over 32 years of aerotowing (d)evolution. Eight thousand dollar sixteen to one bladewings... NO problem. A means of safely terminating a one point aerotow? WHOA! DUDE!

Poll on weaklinks
Jim Rooney - 2013/03/03 19:37:19 UTC

My response is short because I've been saying it for years... and yes, I'm a bit sick of it.
This is a very old horse and has been beaten to death time and time again... by a very vocal minority.

See, most people are happy with how we do things. This isn't an issue for them. They just come out and fly. Thing's aren't perfect, but that's life... and life ain't perfect. You do what you can with what you've got and you move on.

But then there's a crowd that "knows better". To them, we're all morons that can't see "the truth".
(Holy god, the names I've been called.)

I have little time for these people.

It saddens me to know that the rantings of the fanatic fringe mask the few people who are actually working on things. The fanaticism makes it extremely hard to have a conversation about these things as they always degrade into arguments. So I save the actual conversations for when I'm talking with people in person.

A fun saying that I picked up... Some people listen with the intent of understanding. Others with the intent of responding.
I like that.

For fun... if you're not seeing what I mean... try having a conversation here about wheels.
You have no freakin' clue what you're asking. Give us another couple decades.
saerog - 2016/05/26 11:41:30 UTC
Utena, Lithuania

It is me in the picture above. I am using this mouth lock system for a long time now.
Fuck you. The shit doesn't work. If it did, we'd be using it everywhere. But it doesn't stand the test of reality.
And I am very happy with it.
So?

http://ozreport.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=24534
It's a wrap
Davis Straub - 2011/07/30 19:51:54 UTC

I'm very happy with the way Quest Air (Bobby Bailey designed) does it now.
Poll on weaklinks
Jim Rooney - 2013/03/03 19:37:19 UTC

See, most people are happy with how we do things.
http://ozreport.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=32824
Weaklink testing
Scot Trueblood - 2013/07/05 14:25:54 UTC

We recently started using the weak links from towmeup and are very happy with them.
http://www.hanggliding.org/viewtopic.php?t=31747
Lockout
Davis Straub - 2014/09/01 15:22:41 UTC

I can tell you that I fly with a 200lb weaklink on one side of my 750lb pro tow bridle. I am happy with it.
Why should we care what aerotowing equipment you're happy with above and beyond what others are happy with? And Davis is obviously happy with the 200lb weaklink on one side of his 750lb pro tow bridle because it breaks when it's supposed to... Unless you can think of some other reason somebody would be happy with something that's otherwise as inert a component as some randomly chosen four inch section of his towline.
I remember at one period of time, I started to use simple hand-locking system from Charlie (GERMAN)...
The Germans are total fucking morons when it comes to hang and paraglider towing of any flavor you wanna name.
...because it is not very comfortable to hold your mouth partially open for quite long period of time.
And you guys can't figure out a system by which you can disable the dead-man switch function of your mechanism once you're through the kill zone?
Why I switched to mouth-lock again? I had an event, where I was climbing as normal behind the tug trike. And suddenly after some loss of concentration I started to go into very mild lock-out.
A mild lockout is kinda like a minor or marginal pregnancy.
At first the roll seemed slow, but after I released one of my hands for the release and my body went to gravity point it started to roll super fast.
Oh. So you're saying that...

Zach Marzec
Viktor Moroz - 2013/02/09 17:26:52 UTC

Other thing I know: a lot of pilots are afraid to take away one hand form a bar while the bar pressure is scary high. They think the glider immediately will do something bad. It's a delusion. At least one second we have. It's more than enough to make a release and get back the hand on the bar.
...the glider WILL immediately do something bad?
One or two seconds and I was finding myself sideways (around 90 degrees).
Two seconds. After the first second you're only sideways around 45 degrees and that's never much of a big fuckin' deal.
I drained about 50-100 meters to recover.
150-300 feet. Bullshit. Didn't you even bother to read what Davis just said two posts ago?
Mouth releases are an excellent idea for improving safety at the initial stage of an aerotow, maybe the first 30 or 40 feet of altitude.
I am happy I was high enough.
You were high enough at forty feet tops. Anything over that you're just wasting safety margin.
I was flying topless Fusion 141. I am happy I learned the lesson at the right time and the right place.
Why did you need to learn that lesson at the right time and the right place? You don't have any real world instruction in Lithuania either? You can't read fatality reports, think through worst case scenarios, experiment at altitude if you really must?
I strongly recommend you to use mouth-lock systems.
Have you bothered to look at my stuff? Just kidding.
And also very cold decision making about the rolls (P.I.O. as well) when close to the ground.
There was nothing Pilot Induced about this one. It was 100.00 percent "Pilot" Resisted. But when the pilot has no ability to cut power while maintaining pitch and roll control he's just a passenger, just another dope on a rope.
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

Bill Jennings - 2016/05/26 14:25:51 UTC
Chattanooga

Many sports are high risk / high reward, and along with that comes pain. I've been a sporting motorcyclist for three decades, and I've seen (and felt) pain. Even guys with excellent skills sometimes fall. Raise your glass, celebrate their life, and honor them by continuing to live your life to the fullest!
Yeah, that was a real useful contribution to the discussion, Bill. Thanks bigtime.
Jeff Page - 2016/05/26 15:31:53 UTC
Aledo, Texas

I don't fly very much at all but have thought about this "one handed" loss of control issue before.
Do you think about it when you're flying? Do you ever take a hand off the basetube at altitude for a second while you're fighting a thermal induced roll to find out what will happen?
What this guy is saying is soooooo important! Hands free release should be standard throughout the sport.
- Why do you think they're not? Why aren't the u$hPa Towing and Accident Review Committee members, manufacturers, flight park operators, tug drivers leading this movement? How many of the aforementioned motherfuckers are even bothering to participate in the discussion?

- Why does it hafta be "HANDS FREE"? What the fuck is wrong with THESE:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/aerotowrelease/8306300488/
03-1304

configurations? Ever hear of anybody losing control making a radio transmission with a proper PTT configuration?

09-082108

Is it beyond the realm of human engineering capabilities to design something like that for a release system?
Steve Morris - 2016/05/26 16:29:18 UTC

I would like to see concrete changes made to the way we fly based on the accidents that continue to occur.
Really? I'd have liked to have seen them three and a half decades ago. I just hadn't realized that institutionalized stupidity was such a cornerstone of hang gliding culture.
Towing has its own challenges and can be very dangerous and intolerant of even a slight lapse of attention.
Yeah, that was what got Jeff. He had a slight and momentary lapse of attention at thirty feet just as the Dragonfly was banking hard right. Reminds me a lot of Zack Marzec at Quest three years earlier. He also had a slight and momentary lapse of attention at a hundred and fifty feet just as his Quest Link was protecting him from a high angle of attack and forgot the training he had had on how to respond to the increase in the safety of the towing operation.
At some point we need to consider whether new standards are necessary.
In about a month?

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/skysailingtowing/message/7067
AT SOPs - proposed revisions
Subj: Re: [Tow] AT SOPs - proposed revisions
Date: 2009/05/10 02:08:52 UTC
To: skysailingtowing@yahoogroups.com
cc: GreggLudwig@aol.com, lisa@lisatateglass.com

Hi Tad.

I'm Tracy Tillman, on the USHPA BOD, on the Tow Committe, and I am an Aviation Safety Counselor on the FAA Safety Team (FAAST) for the Detroit FSDO area. As a rep of both the USHPA and FAA, I would like to help you, USHPA, and the FAA improve safety in flying, towing, and hang gliding.

The FAA gets a lot of letters of complaint from a lot of yahoos. For best effect, I suggest that you describe in your letter (and also post to the skysailingtowing group and share with the USHPA Tow Committee) your areas of expertise (if any) related to this issue, and list your qualifiications, logged hours, and currency in certain categories, such as:

1. hang glider pilot rating and logged hours
2. hang glider aerotow rating, logged hours, and logged number of tows
3. hang glider tug pilot rating, logged hours towing, and logged number of tows
4. hang glider aerotow administrator appointment date
5. hang glider aerotow supervisor appointment date
6. hang glider tanderm instructor rating, logged hours of aerotow tandem instruction, and logged number of instructional flights
7. airplane pilot license ratings and logged number of hours
8. airplane tow pilot endorsement date, logged number of hours towing with airplane, logged number of tows
9. sailplane tow pilot license ratings, logged number of hours, logged number of tows.
10. sailplane instructor license date, logged number of hours of instruction, logged number of instructional tows
11. any other flying or engineering-related credentials that you may have as evidence of your competence to make these claims.

(BTW, if you have an AT hang glider rating or above the you would/should have received the USHPA Aerotow Guidelines as part of your instruction from the person who taught you to aerotow and/or gave you your AT rating, and you should currently have access to them via the packet that is accessible to you on the USHPA web site, if your AT or higher AT-related ratings and appointments are current.)

It would also be good for the FAA and USHPA to know what kind of ultalight or sport plane tug and airplane you use for towing hang gliders and sailplanes with at your operation (if any), along with a general description of your towing operation or who you provide towing and instructional services for (if any).

Additionally, if you want to really present a convincing argument, you should also: (a) get other experts to co-sign your letter, such as those who have some or most of the aerotowing-related credentials listed above, who have been doing this for many years with many students, and who support your argument; and (b) present reliable data based on valid research showing that there is a significant difference in safety with the changes that you recommend. Supportive comments from aerotow experts along with convincing data can make a difference. Otherwise, it may seem as if your perception of "the sky is falling" may not be shared by most others who have a wealth of experience and who are deeply involved in aerotowing in the US.

This information would also be very helpful in convicing the USHPA and others to take your complaint seriously. Most of the individuals who serve on the USHPA Towing Committe have most of the credentials listed above, so it will be great for you to let them know about your similar credentials and depth of experience, too. If you do not have those credentials, it will be a simple matter for the USHPA Tow Committee to respond to the FAA to discount your complaint, so it will be very important for you to present this information in your letter to the FAA and to others now.

The best way to make change is to get involved, and join the Tow Committee at its meetings. That's what people who really care do to make change. Such is the nature of the great opportunities we have to make a difference in the US (although it means having to spend time, money, and effort, compared to the ease of just sitting in front of a computer.)

Good luck with your endeavor, and regards,

Dr. Tracy Tillman
USHPA Director, Region 7
FAA Detroit FSDO FAAST Aviation Safety Counselor
Will that work for you OK?
What if all aerotow operations were to require these 2 changes?
REQUIRE?

http://www.hanggliding.org/viewtopic.php?t=12403
weak link table
Holger Selover-Stephan - 2009/06/12 00:17:04 UTC

In other words: if we don't do what you say you're going to rat us out to the big guy.

So you'd ask the FAA for tighter regulations, and/or more enforcement.

Running to the Feds because the community doesn't do what you think is right - Man, I do so wish you'd have picked up a different sport.

I hope everyone around you knows about your intentions and tries to stop you.

I wouldn't even give you a ride up the hill so much do I despise your attitude. Oh, I do believe you when you say you just want to protect us from ourselves. But cutting our freedom in the progress is like forbidding the school kids to run on the playground during recess for fear one would fall (standing rule at our daughter's school).
Fuck you, dude.
1) a non-hand operated release system. Either mouth or possibly foot actuated?
Yeah. Make it foot operated. ANYTHING involving the hands is totally off the table.
2) Rudder installed on the keel, even for comps! I'm assuming the rudder makes towing easier but since I've never towed a flex wing someone else should jump in and correct me.
Why don't we do conventional ailerons while we're at it? Then we'd only need one hand to fly the "hang glider" and we could make the easy reach to the release actuator no problem. Just like a conventional sailplane - which is what we'd be flying by the time you got finished with it.
Steve
Get fucked.
Disclaimer:
I haven't owned a flex wing for the last 18 years. I have never towed a flex wing (by choice!)
Thanks for that information. But we could pretty much tell without it.
Davis Straub - 2016/05/26 16:48:58 UTC

I suggest sending your recommendations to the author to be of the accident report - Mitch Shipley.
Fuck YEAH! Wanna see some more great positive change in the sport, Mitch Shipley's DA MAN! Might also wanna run them by...

http://ozreport.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=22660
What can be learned from this "scooter" towing accident?
Mitch Shipley - 2011/01/31 15:22:59 UTC

Enjoy your posts, as always, and find your comments solid, based on hundreds of hours / tows of experience and backed up by a keen intellect/knowledge of the issues when it comes to most things in general and hang gliding AT/Towing in particular. Wanted to go on record in case anyone reading wanted to know one persons comments they should give weight to.
...Jim Keen-Intellect Rooney...

http://ozreport.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=22308
Better mouse trap(release)?
Jim Rooney - 2010/12/18 20:12:54 UTC

I love innovation. However, this isn't the type of thing that's "puzzled out" on the internet. AKA, you're not going to figure it out here. This is real world engineering stuff. Five minutes with Bobby Bailey is worth more than anything you're going to achieve here. Pick your engineer of choice, Bobby's just a very good example.

You're asking a bunch of pilots to design a mechanism that needs to be extremely reliable but light. This is a tall tall order. And while that appeals greatly to the pilot ego, especially the tinkerer pilots, they're not the people that do this sort of thing.

The end results always look simple, but the road to that simplicity is anything but.
He LOVES innovation. Can't understand why he's not posting over on The Davis Show (where you'll notice Davis also isn't posting) telling us all why whatever ideas we have won't work and chastising us for ignoring his warnings about Tad-O-Links and needlessly killing a perfectly good airline pilot with one of them.

Is this a joke ?
Jim Rooney - 2011/08/28 10:40:24 UTC

Hi Tormod.
Oh, not at all.
I think what you're picking up on is my lack of willingness to discuss this with people that have already made up their minds.
Sorry for that, but it's just the nature of the beast.

I have no issue with discussing this with people that don't have an agenda.
I get very short with people that do however.

Am I "certain" about anything?
Nope.
However, some things get real obvious when you're doing them all the time. One is that weaklinks do in fact save people's asses.
You're 100% onto it... relying on the skill of the pilot is a numbers game that you'll lose at some point.

I find that so many people do not appreciate how fast and furious lockouts can happen.
They're exponential in nature.
Twice the time doesn't equate to twice the "bad"... it's four times the "bad"... then 16... it gets dramatic fast.

Is a weaklink going to save your ass? Who knows? But it's nice to stack the deck in your favour.

Now flip the argument and you start to see the devil.
A glider can take a whole shitload more force than a weaklink can.
So, if you're of the "sole purpose" cult, then you see no issue with a LOT stronger weaklink.

Well, it won't take long with that system before we've got a lot more dead pilots out there.
So they can stuff their philosophical purity bs... cuz I have no desire to tow someone to their death, no matter how willing they may be.

I'm not playing with this stuff in my head and just dismissing it. There's been a lot that's gone into this system.

I've seen too many people walk the "strong link" road only to find out the reality of things.
Fortunately, they've been unscathed, but there have been a lot of soiled underpants in the process.

I'm happy to discuss this stuff.
But I'm sick to death of arguing about it.
Totally fuckin' NAILED it, didn't he? So how come nobody's crediting him with the call, apologizing for ignoring his warnings and wisdom, talking about going back to the standard aerotow weak link with the extremely long track record?
I have no problem with replacing protow with mouth release...
Oh good. All that really matters with anything in hang gliding is whether or not Davis Dead-On Straub - the motherfucker who just got another pilot needlessly killed at another one of his pecker measuring contests - has a problem with something.
...after a trial period.
Under Davis Dead-On Straub rules the decades these other mechanisms have been in use elsewhere don't count towards a trial period. So in the meantime we'll just continue with the tried and true, long track record, cheap bent pin shit that Davis sells and forces comp pilots like Jeff Bohl to fly with.

So who do you have in mind for test pilots, Davis? Who are ya gonna permit to use these things?

And are you gonna have a control group? Ten pilots with the tooth locks and ten given hook knives and tied to the towline? No fatalities after everyone has twenty flights you reach the obvious conclusion that the toothlock has no significant advantage over the hook knife?
I don't believe that your second recommendation has merit.
Neither does anybody WITH half a fucking brain or better. But you also don't believe a straight pin barrel release has the slightest amount of merit.
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

NMERider - 2016/05/26 17:03:47 UTC

Now that we've had at least three lockout fatalities plus other unreported yet serious towing lock-out incident/accidents...
Undoubtedly.
...in the past year or so, we can collectively raise the funds for getting a well-engineered mouth release into production domestically.
You had that offer a decade and a half ago when I was having fun designing and optimizing equipment and trying to get it into circulation while Ridgely, Lockout, Quallaby were flooding the market with the kinda shoddy dangerous shit that just killed another flyer. Now I've got so many horrible associations with that era that I practically go into convulsions thinking about getting tools and materials back in my hands. But I'm still willing to help anybody who's interested in producing stuff.
There are more than enough crowdfunding sites in addition to other avenues of contribution/investment.
In the early days a pretty good percentage of glider people were making their own kites. I'm amazed that your average hang glider person nowadays has the capability of tying his own shoes. Ya talk to these dickheads about lifting their gliders up six inches just before they start their launch runs and they look at you like you just arrived from the far edge of a distant galaxy.
At this juncture in history there really is no excuse not to have production up and running in less than 90 days.
Fuck that. In a sane world we'd have had from the beginning of time without interruption releases that didn't stink on ice.
This isn't rocket science. Existing, established designs are already available.
You're welcome.
Materials and production are nothing out of the ordinary.
Just make sure to use the BENT parachute pin.
I will ask Tad Eareckson for any information he has on hand.
He has nothing BUT information on hand.
Yes. I said Tad Eareckson.
C'mon Jack. If you're gonna have rules then enforce them. This one's been sitting pretty for the better part of two days now. Can't afford to have the sport poisoned in such a manner. It's in bad enough shape as things are.
He does a great job of collecting and archiving information like this. Image
And the hang gliding community has done and continues to do a totally awesome job of feeding me great toldyaso material. Keep up the great work, Jack, Davis, and Bob Show dickheads! Image

How 'bout the fact that he's spent years developing the best aerotow equipment this sewer of a sport is ever gonna see before it fades out of existence?
---
http://ozreport.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=15571
Pro/Tow release from base tube
--LOCKED--
---
http://ozreport.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=15684 - l
Pro-Tow Mouth Release
--LOCKED--
---
http://ozreport.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=16249
Mouth Release . . . Here we go again
---
Product at the above struggle of a discussion which Davis and his pet cocksuckers did their best to sabotage at every ghost of an opportunity:

http://c2.staticflickr.com/8/7054/27224227631_dece484263_o.jpg

Not elegant but I one hundred percent guarantee you that if Jeff had been so equipped last Saturday afternoon he'd have come out smelling like a rose and it would've been a later launcher equipped by Quavis who would've ended the flying day and made the news.
---
2017/04/01 18:25:00 UTC

WRONG! With the final loop having to run through the focal point of the safe towing system you have a Shane Smith type configuration. See:
http://www.kitestrings.org/post10022.html#p10022
---
Steve Morris - 2016/05/26 17:19:26 UTC

Here's what Wills Wing says about a keel mounted rudder:

http://www.willswing.com/accessories/wills-wing-vertical-stabilizer/
Odd that it doesn't say anything about a "rudder" in the URL.
I flew flex wings for twenty years and up until the late 1990's it was common for gliders of the same model to have dramatically different handling qualities, especially in the roll/yaw motion of the higher performing designs.
Yeah, that was probably the main issue Jeff was having when the tug banked hard right. His higher performing design glider of the same model started having dramatically different handling qualities, especially in the roll/yaw motion. And at the worst possible time. Ain't Murphy a bitch?
I considered building a rudder for one of my flex wings that flew poorly and I can't imagine towing in that wing, I would certainly have been killed if I tried it.
Would you have been killed any more than Jeff was?
If the situation now is even a fraction as bad as what I experienced I think it's worth taking a closer look at ways to improve the lateral dynamics of hang gliders for safer aerotowing.
Get fucked.
Bill Jennings - 2016/05/26 17:30:01 UTC

I'm just beginning aerotow training (see thread:

http://www.hanggliding.org/viewtopic.php?t=34329
1st aerotow lessons)

and when I started Matt recommended I get a fin for my Horizion as even thought it's an H2 rated DS glider, he thought it was an essential safety item to start towing with the fin.
So if Matt's such a fucking great aerotow expert and safety freak how come it's you participating in this discussion and not him?
So I ordered the fin and Mike in the shop added the mounting bushings to my keel. It takes all of 15 seconds to attach or remove the fin. When it's time to tow on my own glider, I'll be ready.
Yep. You'll have the fin that Matt sold you so the total piece o' shit that Matt sold you as an aerotow release won't be an issue.
_css_nate_ - 2016/05/26 17:30:22 UTC
Southern California

mlbco, that is a stabilizer you are referring to.
You mean like it says...
...in the URL?
Not a rudder; I believe it was a rudder that was mentioned.
You BELIEVE? It's the post before last five inches up on the same page. You can't make sure?
I also wondered about how effective a rudder would be, especially at balancing out skid or slip where desired. I emailed a very experienced pilot about the idea who was unenthusiastic.
What did his very experience have to do with anything?
I did the math to communicate my point better, but seem to have maybe found some the basis of that unenthusiasm. Copying my notes here (nb: this static analysis is quick and informal, please correct\critique as desired):

"Figure that a rectangular rudder, at maximum control effort, extends two feet out to the side, perpendicular to the keel. We would need this rudder at full effort to produce maybe 40ft-lbs of torque...
Oh. So you're talking TORQUE to effect control. Interesting.
...at a typical flying speed of 21mph.

Wind Load formula is F = A*P*Cd, where P=0.00256*V^2 and Cd is about 2 for a flat wall. We are working this out at full control effort so let's use the flat wall coefficient of 2. The rudder is 2 feet long, and the torque will act through it's center at 1 foot, therefore our force numbers are the same as the torque numbers due to that unit distance.

Solving Wind Load for A: A = F/(P*Cd) = 40/(0.00256*21^2*2) = 17.7ft^2. But our rudder is two feet long, so it must be 17.7/2 = 8.9ft tall. An 8.9ft tall rudder strikes me as impractical and kind of hilarious. So far this calculation has made me smile but I'm flying my wing slow here. How fast would I need to fly to have a rudder only two feet tall produce to same torque?

First off, the area of our more practical rudder is 2ft*2ft = 4ft^2.

Solving for V: F = A*0.00256*V^2*Cd => V = SQRT(F/A*0.00256*Cd) = SQRT(40/4*0.00256*2) = 44mph.

But not many of us fly at 44mph, and it is approaching the Vne. We can see here that the reason a rudder is mostly impractical due to the low speed we are flying, ultimately stemming from the pressure being proportional to the square of the airspeed."
Cool. Can ya do the math for:

- removing one hand from the basetube while exerting maximum possible roll control torque?

- instantly subtracting four hundred pounds of unsustainably misaligned thrust with the glider rolled to placard limit and at a high angle of attack?

- prying open a Quavis bent pin barrel release directly loaded to two hundred pounds?
Davis Straub - 2016/05/26 18:32:18 UTC

The vertical keel rudder has been used on the Wills Wing Ultra Sport as it really needs it for towing.
Wills Wing

Technical Information and Placarded Operating Limitations

NOTE:
The Ultra Sport has been designed for foot launched soaring flight. It has not been designed to be motorized, tethered, or towed. It can be towed successfully using proper procedures. Pilots wishing to tow should be USHGA skill rated for towing, and should avail themselves of all available information on the most current proper and safe towing procedures. Suggested sources for towing information include the United States Hang Gliding Association and the manufacturer of the towing winch / or equipment being used. Wills Wing makes no warranty of the suitability of the glider for towing.
- Anything else the Wills Wing Ultra Sport really needs for towing that they don't tell us about? Or even make available?

- If we're supposed to avail ourselves of all available information on the most current proper and safe towing procedures from sources such as the United States Hang Gliding Association and the manufacturer of the towing winch / or equipment being used then how come we're having to have this discussion about how many hands are needed to resist a lockout on The Jack Show with zero guidance from the United States Hang Gliding Association and/or the manufacturer of the towing equipment?

- Wills Wing tells us to:
Always use an appropriate weak link with a finished length of 1.5 inches or less.
Prior to 2013/02/02 everyone and his dog knew that an appropriate weak link was:

http://ozreport.com/12.081
Weaklinks - the HGFA rules
Davis Straub - 2008/04/22 14:47:00

Here is the requirement from the 2007 Worlds local rules (which I wrote) for weaklinks:
Pilots must use weaklinks provided by the meet organizers and in a manner approved by the meet organizers. All weaklinks will be checked and use of inappropriate weaklinks will require the pilot to go to the end of the launch line to change the weaklink.

Weaklinks will consist of a single loop of Cortland 130 lb Greenspot braided Dacron Tolling line and should be placed at one end of a shoulder bridle.
Where the fuck are we supposed to go now to find out what an appropriate weak link is? And why didn't the appropriate weak link that Jeff Bohl always used break when it was supposed to?
Other gliders do not have these issues.
Thanks for sharing your impeccable expertise with us muppets, Davis.
As I pointed out previously in the Oz Report flying in competition in Big Spring and Forbes in topless gliders requires 45 to 55 mph intrathermal air speeds.
Oh. You need to fly topless gliders 45 to 55 mph WITHIN thermals at Big Spring and Forbes. I'da thunk it would've been a lot slower than that. Thanks for...

Zach Marzec
Jim Rooney - 2013/02/15 06:48:18 UTC

Davis has been at an around all this plenty long enough to understand what's what and who's who.
...setting us Davis Linking muppets straight.
I have linked to the plans for a mouth release in the previous posts. So you don't need to contact Tad.
- Thank GOD! Who'd wanna contact TAD about anything for any reason about anything. Tad makes my skin crawl.

- Name one motherfucker who's ever produced one unit from the plans you've linked to. Only about one percent of the dickheads in your target audience can read a glider owner's manual with enough comprehension to understand that the purpose of the suspension spreader...

19-13501
http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3895/14743990195_8b8c2933c2_o.png

...is NOT to prevent the carabiner from being crushed.
There seem to be three different configurations. Which do you prefer?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rh3-uZptNw0

For you?

http://ozreport.com/pub/images/fingerlakesaccident2.jpg
http://ozreport.com/pub/images/fingerlakesaccident3.jpg
I have forgotten the other two recent lockout fatalities. Links?
http://ozreport.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=25015
Zippy pounds in
Davis Straub - 2011/09/02 18:37:09 UTC

Concussions are in fact very serious and have life long effects. The last time I was knocked out what in 9th grade football. I have felt the effects of that ever since. It changes your wiring.
This one:
http://ozreport.com/17.146#4
Luis Rizo

from 2013 ?
You mean the one in which the two point release...

http://www.getoffrelease.com/
03-1304

...that Tad helped develop that allowed fifty percent of the people under the glider to survive the lockout? As opposed to the hundred percent mortality with the cheap Quavis shit a week ago?

Suck my dick, Davis. You don't even have a discussion going on your own shitty rag and I hope as many Jack Show dickheads as possible follow your lead. It'll continue to do absolute marvels for the gene pool.
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

Jump to next post:
http://www.kitestrings.org/post9431.html#p9431

Davis Straub - 2016/05/26 18:35:03 UTC

Pilots with sufficient skill and experience can usually control or prevent such oscillations. Pilots who are making the transition from entry level gliders to high performance gliders, and pilots learning new skills such as aero-towing, are often unable to adequately prevent or recover from these oscillations. In the case of aero-towing, this can be enough of a problem to be a barrier to learning this new skill. The Stabilizer is a great accessory for the advancing Beginner to Intermediate pilot.
Damn! So if Jeff had been using a fin while he was advancing from a Beginner to Intermediate pilot, making the transition from an entry level to high performance glider, learning the new skill of aerotowing he could probably have controlled or prevented the oscillations which proved so problematic for him on that last day of the comp a week ago.

Anybody know what kind of helmet he was wearing?
Steve Morris - 2016/05/26 18:56:47 UTC
_css_nate_ - 2016/05/26 17:30:22 UTC

mlbco, that is a stabilizer...
There are lots of mistakes in the math you presented starting with the equation for dynamic pressure and then using the wrong (i.e. too small) moment arm for the torque of the vertical surface. I'll stick with Wills Wing assessment of the technology for now.
Which is exactly what Jeff was doing a week ago. Thanks so much for your valuable contributions to the discussion.
NMERider - 2016/05/26 19:51:58 UTC

Our #1 concern is being able to release on demand without releasing grip on the control bar.
Where are Ryan Instant-Hands-Free-Release Voight and...

pro tow set-up
Ryan Voight - 2009/11/03 05:24:31 UTC

It works best in a lockout situation... if you're banked away from the tug and have the bar back by your belly button... let it out. Glider will pitch up, break weaklink, and you fly away.

During a "normal" tow you could always turn away from the tug and push out to break the weaklink... but why would you?

Have you never pondered what you would do in a situation where you CAN'T LET GO to release? I'd purposefully break the weaklink, as described above. Instant hands free release Image
Jim Rooney - 2009/11/03 06:16:56 UTC

As for being in a situation where you can't or don't want to let go, Ryan's got the right idea. They're called "weak" links for a reason. Overload that puppy and you bet your ass it's going to break.

You can tell me till you're blue in the face about situations where it theoretically won't let go or you can drone on and on about how "weaklinks only protect the glider" (which is BS btw)... and I can tell ya... I could give a crap, cuz just pitch out abruptly and that little piece of string doesn't have a chance in hell. Take your theory and shove it... I'm saving my a$$.
...Jim Keen-Intellect Rooney when ya really need them?
It has already been proven through a number of fatal and injury accidents that relying on the weak link does not work.
What, Jack?

pro tow set-up
Jack Axaopoulos - 2009/11/10 13:36:53 UTC

I still dont know if I buy into the stronger weak link hypothesis.

Ive broken weak links on purpose at altitude by banking up and pushing out abruptly. That is a mechanism I want to keep, not give up.

The downside is, you will get more weak link breaks while near the ground, early in a tow, or whatever.
BUT... you should be maintaining proper airspeed anyway, then its not an issue.

Saying there is a problem with weak links being too weak, and breaking near the ground, leaving you in a near stall, is sorta like saying there is a problem foot launching slow off a mountain with your nose too high. Well DUH. Image
Both of these are preventable and up to you to prevent.

That said, I am not confident that I am right. Id love to see ONE tow park switch systems for a year or longer, and compare tow incidents before and after. Its the only way to really test which way is better IMO.
No comment? Pretty fuckin' obvious that Quest switched systems immediately after the 2013/02/02 inconvenience fatality, now we've got an airline pilot killed on a Tad-O-Link that didn't break when it was supposed to. And you have no interest in participating in the discussion even with T** at K*** S****** permanently banned from this site in every possible way imaginable and you IMMEDIATELY DELETING all references to him, his material, and related people?
How about we all start talking about getting a reliable...
RELIABLE? We've had NOTHING BUT *RELIABLE* Releases ever since Donnell cooked up his Skyting Criteria in the early Eighties. They're supplements to our "Infallible" Weak Links - also defined in Donnell's magic formula for the safest possible towing mankind will ever be able to achieve. Fuck "reliable" releases. We HAVE - and need to USE - fuckin' BULLETPROOF releases and stop tolerating comments like:

http://ozreport.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=22660
What can be learned from this "scooter" towing accident?
Jim Rooney - 2011/02/06 18:35:13 UTC

The minute someone starts telling me about their "perfect"system, I start walking away.
from malignant little total pieces o' shit like that.
...and affordable...
AFFORDABLE? What was the real cost of that cheap easily reachable bent pin crap that made an airline pilot's effort to get airborne a week ago unsurvivable. Forget untold millions of dollars worth of Jeff, just do the math on the lost flying day for all the competitors and the emergency response and mop-up.

The materials and labor cost of that Quavis total shit he tried to go up on was about ten bucks max. He slammed in with a thousand dollar parachute neatly packed in its container. What if tomorrow we put thousand dollar bulletproof release systems and gave everybody ten dollar placebo parachutes we know would be as totally useless in an emergency as Quallaby "release equipment" is?

We use our release EVERY SINGLE FLIGHT and have very significant chances of NEEDING our release to prevent injury or death every single flight. Statistically speaking, we NEVER need or use parachutes - 'cept for sloppy aerobatics pilots and fuck them. Aerobatic flying is NOT mainstream hang gliding and nothing we need to be discussing. If the cost of a bulletproof release system is a thousand bucks a copy we have no business even THINKING about blinking.

http://c2.staticflickr.com/6/5788/23461251751_e98b9c7500_o.png

This sport is heading towards extinction in no small part thanks to "Affordable" "Reliable" Releases and Infallible Weak Links.
...mouth release into production stop getting side-tracked?
Fuck that. Our rudder buddies here are gonna reinvent hang gliders to make them fully controllable with just one hand on the basetube - in accordance with Skyting Theory and u$hPa SOPs.
Davis Straub - 2016/05/26 20:01:24 UTC

The other two recent lockout fatalities?
The ground tow in Florida as one?
The ground tow in California as the other?
Damn you're good, Davis. 'Specially considering all those concussion induced wiring changes of yours.
The mouth releases are configured for aerotowing.
- Yeah Davis...

08-01107
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7769/18376684492_a49fd12f3e_o.png
12-01125
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8809/18382342111_f94a5114a9_o.png
14-01405
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8760/18376683312_0194935885_o.png

You sure been at an around all this plenty long enough to understand what's what and who's who.

- What's the difference between a low tow angle surface tow and an aero tow? Low tow angle surface tows like the "training" tows that US Hang Gliding, Inc. just killed Tomas Banevicius and Mission just killed Nancy Doe on?

- What the fuck is the cheap Quavis shit you just killed...

...Jeff Bohl on configured for? Tell us how you could've managed to configure him for a worse outcome. Tell me how things would've been less survivable if you just Lark's Headed a length of eye-spliced two thousand pound spectra on one shoulder AT loop and connected the other end to the other loop with a single loop of two hundred pound fishing line.

Take a look at Li'l Niki, a bit before the Jeff crash, terminating her tow in glassy smooth air with everything straight and level at scheduled release altitude with the Dragonfly throttled back and zilch worth of tow tension:

Gecko Girl
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_sUcPYeKkdI
Niki Longshore - 2016/05/20

07-02436
- 07 - chronological order
- -0 - minutes
- 24 - seconds
- 36 - frame (60 fps)

07-02436
http://c2.staticflickr.com/8/7389/27174353702_5256a00d11_o.png
08-03052
http://c2.staticflickr.com/8/7594/27174353142_5452c9ef42_o.png
09-03110
http://c2.staticflickr.com/8/7498/27174352572_20d38b525e_o.png
10-03118
http://c2.staticflickr.com/8/7535/27174352022_6e44d9aa23_o.png
11-03124
http://c2.staticflickr.com/8/7725/27271449505_c4d6eda188_o.png
12-03134
http://c2.staticflickr.com/8/7443/27271448435_53a75a9f6e_o.png
13-03136
http://c2.staticflickr.com/8/7292/27271447185_4f295a2d3a_o.png
14-03138
http://c2.staticflickr.com/8/7395/27271445985_562217ccce_o.png
15-03140
http://c2.staticflickr.com/8/7620/27271444645_5e6651b568_o.png
16-03144
http://c2.staticflickr.com/8/7604/27271443425_b53d9b2a18_o.png
17-03146
http://c2.staticflickr.com/8/7147/27271442445_7ea040d1e2_o.png
18-03148
http://c1.staticflickr.com/9/8651/29253962850_a7843282c6_o.png
19-03152
http://c1.staticflickr.com/9/8102/29253962250_0ab23bf13a_o.png
20-03156
http://c1.staticflickr.com/9/8496/29253961750_c5143170d5_o.png
21-03238
http://c1.staticflickr.com/9/8831/29253960980_a378832d3c_o.png
22-03356
http://c1.staticflickr.com/9/8417/29434548562_02f328313b_o.png
23-03530
http://c2.staticflickr.com/8/7313/27271441165_c7f38b838e_o.png

One of you Jack/Davis Show dickheads tell me that Jeff had a snowball's chance in hell of releasing and surviving with the glider in a lockout at thirty feet, the tug heading the wrong way...

01-00652
http://c2.staticflickr.com/8/7032/27174356852_db27eacc3a_o.png
02-00820
http://c2.staticflickr.com/8/7252/27169646315_9af9a62298_o.png
03-02138
http://c2.staticflickr.com/8/7429/27174355952_4ddb76ea03_o.png
04-02202
http://c2.staticflickr.com/8/7329/27174355342_f6fa8c402b_o.png
05-02210
http://c2.staticflickr.com/8/7788/27174354752_e2682758f6_o.png
06-02334
http://c2.staticflickr.com/8/7342/27174354132_c7a62677c4_o.png

...and the towline tension screaming up to four hundred pound Standard Quavis Link.

Jump to top:
http://www.kitestrings.org/post9430.html#p9430
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

Don Arsenault - 2016/05/26 20:05:15 UTC
Toronto

What would the liability insurance cost? If I made and sold these, & someone dies using it, what would become of my finances?
Lemme get back to ya in about a year. I'm planning on helping Jeff's family sue Quest and Davis out of existence. You should be able to get a rough idea from the court decision.
Sorry for posting here...
I'm sorry you're posting there too. Neither the forum in general nor you in particular really have anything to offer.
we should move this to another thread.
Nah, let's leave it here.

People have been flying and forced to fly that same indescribably shoddy, moronic, cheap piece of total shit that claimed its most recent victim eight days ago.

- The pro toad aspect of it was half of what caused the previous Quest fatality on 2013/02/02.

- On 2014/06/02 during the ECC Bobby Fucking-Genius Bailey's bent pin crap rendered John Claytor a dope on a rope and bent his neck enough to end his career. Would've looked something like...

- Ollie Chitty...

07-300
http://c2.staticflickr.com/8/7441/12980980635_a22762812d_o.png
http://c2.staticflickr.com/4/3141/12981414774_e6ddd85c13_o.png
15-413

...getting his face rearranged and glider totaled - 'cept John never even got to make the easy reach.

- Steve Elliot...
The Herald on Sunday - 2009/01/10

Hurt hang glider pilot joked bravely with friends after a crash landing, unaware that his injuries were fatal.
...2009/01/03.

Name some tow launch crashes that HAVEN'T had at their root the decision of hang gliding culture to fly with releases that stink on ice.

Now name a "designer", manufacturer, dealer, flight park, meet head who's ever been sued for a nickel for negligently ending or destroying one of his victim's lives.

This one:

http://c2.staticflickr.com/6/5788/23461251751_e98b9c7500_o.png

Not a fuckin' penny.

Yeah Don. If you make a good faith and halfway competent effort to improve on the total crap with which the total scumbags at Quest, Wallaby, Lockout have been flooding the market for decades you're gonna risk financial destruction. So don't even bother developing a prototype and putting up the documentation.

Suck my dick. And ditto for your one-eyed fraud of an instructor who's so very conspicuously missing from this discussion - along with every other serious incident discussion in the history of this sport.
Davis Straub - 2016/05/26 20:05:21 UTC

A pilot here is currently working on getting ahold of the Russian producers of the mouth release.
- Great timing.
- And make sure you protect his identity and privacy by referring to him only as "a pilot here".
_css_nate_ - 2016/05/26 20:11:06 UTC
Steve Morris - 2016/05/26 18:56:47 UTC

There are lots of mistakes in the math you presented starting with the equation for dynamic pressure and then using the wrong (i.e. too small) moment arm for the torque of the vertical surface. I'll stick with Wills Wing assessment of the technology for now.
1) Its a static analysis, not supposed to be dynamic. I'm not looking at any transient response, rather a steady state one.
2) The wind loading formula applies just fine. So, it suddenly doesn't work for control surfaces? BS.
3) Elaborate on your why its too small a moment arm. I said the hypothetical rudder was 2 feet long. Because it is rectangular, this means the torques act through the middle at 1 foot. My original calculation for rudder height was assuming wind speed and area required for 40 foot pounds of torque. Ie. Pushing the middle of that rudder, at max control, with 40 lbs of force. Because this force acts one foot off the side, the tail is actuated with 40 ft lbs of force. This would be roughly what is needed to turn a hang glider well. Substitute a different number than 40 if you want, but the torque required will be on that order.
4) There is a difference between the term "stabilizer" and "rudder"
Get fucked.
NMERider - 2016/05/26 20:17:40 UTC

Please take this tangential discussion to a new thread. This started out as a thread about a pilot who died following a lockout in which his glider was on tow until it was too late.

What is relevant to this discussion is:
1 - The pilot - Jeff Bohls.
2 - Sourcing a reliable hands free release.

Thank you for your cooperation.
Please take that discussion and shove it up your totally useless asses.
Hoosier_Eagle - 2016/05/26 20:26:35 UTC
Davis Straub - 2016/05/26 18:32:18 UTC

I have forgotten the other two recent lockout fatalities.
http://www.hanggliding.org/viewtopic.php?t=34019
Very sad news
http://www.hanggliding.org/viewtopic.php?t=34243
Fatal HG crash in Tres Pinos CA 4-3-2016
NMERider - 2016/05/26 19:51:58 UTC

Our #1 concern...
I agree. If you don't mind, since we have walked this walk before guys, let's revisit:

http://www.hanggliding.org/viewtopic.php?t=25838
Aerotow in rough conditions
25-32016
http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5548/14306846174_185f09082e_o.png
http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5530/14120804830_2aabd74d25_o.png
12-22509

And make sure when you do that to totally disregard:
deltaman - 2012/04/27 01:02:56 UTC

Look at these Mouth Releases lighter, without wire, and therefore by far easier to store in the harness:
http://www.hanggliding.org/viewtopic.php?t=25527
Mouth AT Releases

You can do it yourself or I can do it for you if you need (PM)..

or
and:

http://www.hanggliding.org/viewtopic.php?t=21242
Mouth Release - Where / How can I get one ???
And make sure when you do that to totally disregard:
Chad May - 2011/03/17 04:29:29 UTC
Nashville

And, Tad gave me a call and he's a wellspring of knowledge on towing... and someone willing to think outside the box.
Maybe it would be better to continue this discussion on one of those threads...
Yeah, let's use this one for designing hang gliders with rudders that can be safely flown with just ONE hand on the control bar.
...and also ask Chad to provide some feedback on how it ended up working out for him.
And maybe also ask Jeff Bohl to provide some feedback on how his Quavis release ended up working out for HIM. Then we can look at the pluses and minuses of the two approaches and make informed decisions on what's best for our individual needs.
NMERider - 2016/05/26 20:27:19 UTC
Davis Straub - 2016/05/26 20:05:21 UTC

A pilot here is currently working on getting ahold of the Russian producers of the mouth release.
USA: +1 (347) 699-00-47
shop@mouthrelease.com
Note: The website is infected with malware. Access by email or phone.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ePT3r0ZW54k
seb - 2016/05/26 21:11:17 UTC
Alabama

Why make one when there is one available that has been proven for a good amount of time.
The Rooney Link that killed Zack Marzec at Quest on 2013/02/02 and the Bobby Fucking-Genius Bailey bent pin release that killed Jeff Bohl at Quest on 2016/05/21 had both been proven by INCREDIBLE amounts of time. HUGE track records - quite literally HUNDREDS of THOUSANDS of tows. Allow me to repeat... HUNDREDS of THOUSANDS of tows.

Anybody who talks about aeronautical equipment having been "PROVEN" for a good amounts of time is a total fuckin' shithead. And that's not the way you assholes buy gliders. The gliders people rush out to buy are the ones with the shortest track records imaginable. You get them right after they've passed HGMA certification and for their performance specs.
Just order a large quantity. Put me down for one .
Great. Just the kind of individual we need remaining in the gene pool as long as possible.
In all other motorsports safety equipment is mandatory to compete.
- Oh. So you DO recognize that hang glider aerotowing is a motorsport. Any thoughts on whether or not an engine failure on takeoff is a mere inconvenience that poses no risk whatsoever to a competent pilot?

- In how many other motorsports competitions is the safety of equipment proven by using it for a good amount of time?
Competition organizers should make it mandatory that you use one in order to be towed up.
Wanna see what was mandatory for the competition which just murdered Jeff Bohl? Jump ahead in this topic to Davis's 2016/05/28 13:36:55 UTC post:
Competitors must use appropriate aerotow bridles as determined by the Meet Director and Safety Director and their designated officials. Bridles must include secondary releases (as determined by the Safety Director). Bridles must be able to be connected to the tow line within two seconds. The only appropriate bridles can be found here:

http://OzReport.com/9.039#0
ProTow
and:
http://ozreport.com/9.041#2
More Protows

Pilots with inappropriate bridles may purchase appropriate bridles from the meet organizer.
So if Jeff had shown up with a Kaluzhin, Street, or, of course, anything from T** at K*** S******, Davis and the other Questie bent pin pigfuckers would have found it to be "INAPPROPRIATE" and ordered him to throw it back in the trunk and purchase and fly with a copy of the shit that they sell.

Or do you have some other interpretation? Like Quavis wants to make absolutely certain that each competitor...

http://ozreport.com/12.081
Weaklinks - the HGFA rules
Davis Straub - 2008/04/22 14:47:00 UTC

Getting pilots into the air quickly is also safer as it reduces the stress that pilots feel on the ground and keeps them focused on their job which is to launch safely and without hassling the ground crew or themselves. When we look at safety we have to look at the whole system, not just one component of that system. One pilot may feel that one component is unsafe from his point of view and desire a different approach, but accommodating one pilot can reduce the overall safety of the system.
...has the safest equipment possible?
Seems like a no brainer to me.
So what does it seem like to you regarding the reason we're at this point in history with yet another life ended and yet more lives devastated having yet another one of these Groundhog Day discussions?
Davis Straub - 2016/05/26 21:44:55 UTC

So the two other lockout fatalities recently are ground tow incidents as I guessed.
Yeah. Interesting that there was ZERO discussion about either over on The Davis Show.
Not sure how the mouth release applies to them.
How 'bout saving us some bandwidth and listing issues you ARE sure about?