launching

General discussion about the sport of hang gliding
Steve Davy

Re: launching

Post by Steve Davy »

http://www.hanggliding.org/viewtopic.php?p=377408&highlight=#377408
Blown Beach Bluff Launch
Mike Badley - 2015/10/21 19:32:18 UTC

At that point, forget about normal yaw control and grab for the high side downtube with both hands because you can ONLY overcome the turn by loading the into the wind wing and getting your weight forward.
A better solution in order to overcome a situation where one side is getting away from you is to dive though the control frame, grab the front wires with one or both hands, and load the nose of the glider, thus killing the lift. But you got to be quick about it because once it starts...
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

http://www.chgpa.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=6845
Options for Sun08Nov : High Rock?
Mark Cavanaugh - 2015/11/08 14:03:26 UTC

And Karen and Matthew plan to be there around 1pm.
But only Matthew will be coming back alive.
Seems like we should have a decent turnout!
Knock yourselves out.

http://www.heraldmailmedia.com/news/local/hang-glider-pilot-injured-at-high-rock/article_2c7da2ec-8677-11e5-bd4a-23b1005f7aff.html
Hang glider pilot injured at High Rock
2015/11/10 19:16 EST
2015/11/10 20:22 EST - Updated.

A woman was airlifted to a hospital after a hang gliding accident at the Pen Mar High Rock Overlook west of Cascade on Sunday afternoon, according to a supervisor for Washington County Emergency Services.

The woman's hang glider clipped the top of trees after her launch, causing it to crash, the supervisor said.

The woman suffered a leg injury and was flown to Shock Trauma in Baltimore.
I'm guessing more than that.
Her name was not immediately available.
Karen Carra. u$hPa got to her rating information before I was able to. Had to be a Four. I think she broke her arm there in the LZ maybe 18? years ago, tall grass maybe, and for a long time it was iffy as to whether it would heal well enough for her to get back in the air. But, luckily, it did.
The incident was reported around 3 p.m. Sunday.
And the hang gliding "community" is just hearing about it here:
uplandann - 2015/11/10 15:48:19 UTC
Harrisonburg, Virginia

I hope I'm not out of line in posting this...
It's a fatal. Just assume you are. Nothing bad is supposed to happen in this sport.
...and don't offend anyone.
Offend those CHGA pigfuckers all ya feel like. If ya need any help feel free to give me a buzz.
Flew with you guys back in 2009-2010.
Starting a bit after those assholes "suspended" me for "three months" - as announced by Matthew.
Heard about Karen C...
Carra.
...any info.?
Nah, they're in lockdown mode. Nobody's ever heard of her before - including Matthew.
Heartfelt condolences to all who knew and loved her.
I knew and liked her. But she didn't lift a finger on my behalf when all who knew and loved her sent me into permanent exile.
This year has been rough on pilots around the world.
Nah, the PILOTS, with the possible exception of Bertrand, are doing pretty good.
When hearts have healed some, It might benefit the community to know exactly what happened so we could be more vigilant in the future.
I'm pretty sure we'll find out that she was flying an aircraft that appeared to be for recreational purposes.
So sorry to loose another from our flying family.
My heart aches for our flying family.

So any of you Bob Show motherfuckers - Rick Masters and Bob in particular - wanna do some more mouthing off about how dangerous tow launching is and why it should be excluded from inclusion in hang gliding's new world order?
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

Here's SOMETHING on the weather:

Mark Cavanaugh - 2015/11/08 01:01:20 UTC

As of the 6:30pm update, I'm still seeing forecasts that call for NNW rather than due N up at High Rock. With 11mph surface from 9am to 1pm.

Granted, it's not a classic 10-15 HR 'cast... But I'm still pretty optimistic, given that it will be sunny all day. Heating in the valley out front often provides a bit of a boost to the winds on launch. Heck, I think I'll even throw the glider on the vehicle tonight! Who else is in????

MarkC

PS: I hear that there was flying at the Pulpit today after all, that's great! Hoping to see some flight reports over in the Saturday thread.
Totally fucking ASTOUNDING how tightly clamped they have the lid on this. I'm sure Matthew and Karen first appeared on the scene in around the mid Nineties. Name some other close-knit, way off the beaten path, and incredibly friendly "communities" in which a twenty year fixture can suddenly buy the farm participating in the community's core activity and with virtually no one breathing a word about ANYTHING.

http://www.hanggliding.org/viewtopic.php?t=33504
Another fatal accident
Charles Fager - 2015/10/12 15:10:30 UTC

Hopefully the Hyner club president will come out with an official statement when appropriate.
The High Rock launch is 112.7 miles damn near staight south of the Hyner launch - a bit closer to the LZ - and less than a mile and three quarters south of the Pennsylvania line.

A clipped tree in the Hyner LZ at the annual Ox Roast on 2015/10/11 at 14:58, a clipped tree at the High Rock launch EXACTLY four weeks later, possibly to the minute, and...

And Karen and Matthew plan to be there around 1pm. Seems like we should have a decent turnout!
...NOBODY saw or knows NUTHIN'. It's only rumored that Karen isn't back home with a cast and a pair of crutches.

Meanwhile over at The Jack Show...

http://www.hanggliding.org/viewtopic.php?t=31942
Crowded Beach Landing

Forty-five posts with 6789 hits at the moment. This sport's in serious need of being straightjacketed, locked in a padded cell, and heavily medicated.
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

Mark Cavanaugh - 2015/11/08 01:01:20 UTC

As of the 6:30pm update...
Mark Cavanaugh - Maryland - 61291 - H3 - 1995/02/20 - Christy Huddle - AT AWCL CL FSL RLF TUR XC
Anthony Lloyd - 2015/11/08 01:17:19 UTC

I'll be at High Rock in the morning.
Anthony Lloyd - Maryland - 92562 - H2 - 2014/11/19 - John Middleton - FL CL FSL
Bryan Althouse - 2015/11/08 08:06:40 UTC

I'm planning to hit Smithsburg in the morning and then head over to HR. Having trouble sleeping at the moment. I'm a bit excited just to hit the training hill. If I get off of HR, that would certainly be gravy. Don't worry, I won't attempt this without assistance and learning the protocols. My site guide is probably nine years old and not accurate. I'm guessing that you keep that info in the members only area, but I don't have access yet. Hope to see you!
Bryan Althouse - Maryland - 72668 - H3 - 2007/08/28 - Paul (Sunny) Venesky - FL FSL RLF TUR
Mark Cavanaugh - 2015/11/08 13:37:31 UTC

I'm still thinking that HRock might be worth a shot, so I think I'll head up that way now. Can always re-evaluate once there....
Andy Balk - 2015/11/08 13:52:52 UTC

I have a noon eta at high rock.
Andrew Balk - Maryland - 87291 - H3 - 2012/04/23 - Shawn MacDuff - FL ST AWCL FSL RLF TUR

And Karen...
Karen Carra - Takoma Park, Maryland - 61868 - Exp: 2016/06/30
- H3 - 1998/07/22 - Judy McCarty - AT FL AWCL CL FSL RLF TUR XC
- P2 - 2002/06/12 - Scotty Marion - FL FSL RS
...and Matthew...
Matthew Graham - Takoma Park, Maryland - 57396 - Exp: 2016/06/30
- H3 - 1998/02/02 - Joseph Gregor - AT AWCL CL FSL RLF TUR XC - OBS
- P3 - 2005/10/01 - Allen Sparks - FL FSL RS - OBS
...plan to be there around 1pm. Seems like we should have a decent turnout!
So what kinda day did y'all have? Anybody make it to cloudbase?
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

http://ozreport.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=45132
HG fatality at High Rock MD
Mark G. Forbes - 2015/11/11 01:25:07 UTC

Please be careful out there; we've had another HG pilot fatality, at High Rock, Maryland last Sunday. Mitch Shipley reported:
Sunday November 8, 2015

Karen Carra (54) USHPA #61868, an Intermediate (H3), Novice (P2) pilot and USHPA member since 1995. Preliminary reports via phone indicated she was launching her Sport II 135 at High Rock MD site around 1500 with a wire crew. Her nose popped up on launch followed by loss of control of the glider until impact below launch. About an hour to extract by rappel. She was conscious during extraction but died sometime later. Her husband Mathew Graham was believed to be there, probably in the air when she launched.
This site is not one where you could save a stalled launch. See video tour here:

http://vimeo.com/129357732
Please be careful out there; we've had another HG pilot fatality, at High Rock, Maryland last Sunday.
- WHOA! ANOTHER HG pilot fatality! Are you sure you're not thinking about a previous one? I'm having trouble keeping track of things myself.

- OK Mark, I'll be careful. Now that I've heard about another HG pilot fatality. If it had just been another PG pilot fatality I wouldn't have really had all that much motivation. If only somebody had been able to get to Karen in time to ask her to please be careful out there and advise her of the potential for disaster.

- It's Tuesday night now, Mark. How come we're just hearing about this now? Take that long to get everybody on the same/right page?

- "LAST" Sunday? Why not just say "Sunday"? Is it because "LAST" Sunday makes it sound like the more distant past and we've had a delay in the reporting because of all the exhaustive work CHGA and u$hPa have been doing to get to the truth of what went wrong?
Mitch Shipley reported:
- Wow! And here I was thinking that Mitch was just a top notch tow crash investigator.

- Guess it would be too much trouble for Mitch Shipley to post this here himself. If the sonuvabitch WERE to post here himself he could be asked questions. Ditto for the anonymous sonsabitches who were on crew and present nearby. So what we're getting are eyewitness reports garbled over the telephone and filtered through Mitch Shipley and his totally useless summary of his fuzzy recollection of the "preliminary reports" then run through Mark G. Forbes firewall.
Sunday November 8, 2015

Karen Carra (54) USHPA #61868, an Intermediate (H3), Novice (P2) pilot and USHPA member since 1995.
Are ya sure? I just searched the crap outta the u$hPa Member Directory and couldn't find hide nor hair.
Preliminary reports via phone indicated she was launching her Sport II 135...
- Preliminary reportS from WHOM? Any of these motherfuckers got names?
- So what did the SUBSEQUENT reports via phone INDICATE?
- How 'bout the WRITTEN reports so's we don't hafta listen to more crap filtered by u$hPa's top damage control fuckin' douchebag?
- So I guess a Sport II 135 isn't the best kind of glider to be launching at the High Rock MD site around 1500 with a wire crew.
- Is the Sport II 135 an aircraft that appears to be for recreational purposes?
- What kind of weak link was she using? Same one I do? How long of a track record does it have?
...at High Rock MD site around 1500 with a wire crew.
- She was using a wire crew 'cause it was around 1500? Don't ya use a wire crew 'cause there's too much wind to handle the glider safely on your own? Regardless of what time it's around?

- So who was on the crew? How many? Where were they positioned? What were their qualifications? You just killed an eleven year old kid you wouldn't have if you hadn't used a driver who was met in the parking lot and you just passed SOPs mandating pilot ratings for drivers after decades of insisting that the driver could have no bearing on the safety of the flight. Isn't it possible that a wire crew could have some bearing on the safety of an Assisted Windy Cliff Launch?

- What was the wind doing? Direction? Strength? Gustiness? Thermals?
Her nose popped up on launch...
Why? She's a seventeen plus year Three with AWCL, Turbulence, and XC signoffs. And her nose just POPPED? Was the glider positioned and trimmed properly out in the turbulent jet stream? This is a fuckin' brain dead easy ramp when you've got people with clues working together.
...followed by loss of control of the glider...
- As opposed to a loss of control of the kayak.

- Oh. When her nose popped that wasn't a loss of control of the glider. That was something she either did deliberately or wanted to happen. It wasn't until AFTER the glider was doing what she wanted it to that there was a loss of control of the glider.
...until impact below launch.
- How 'bout AFTER impact below launch? Was she able to regain the control she had when her nose popped?

- Oh. Her nose popped up on launch and that was enough to put in a 180 and fatally slam her back into the cliff below launch. Here's what the newspaper said:
The woman's hang glider clipped the top of trees after her launch, causing it to crash, the supervisor said.
How come there's no mention of clipping treetops in your bullshit report, Mitch? How do you get the glider turned back into the cliff there WITHOUT clipping trees?
About an hour to extract by rappel. She was conscious during extraction but died sometime later.
- Whoa! That sounds RISKY. I find myself strongly attracted to this activity! What's the going rate for a tandem thrill ride nowadays? Does it cost extra if the nose pops and there's a loss of control of the glider until impact below launch and an ensuing extraction? Is there a deluxe package that includes loss of consciousness and death? Can you guarantee I'll get that experience even with a full face helmet? What kinda helmet was she wearing, by the way?

- Oh good. Let's fill up your chintzy little "preliminary" report with useless bullshit about what happened AFTER the crash - AFTER Karen's fate was sealed.

- How 'bout the cause of death? Did she suffer fatal injuries?
Her husband Mathew Graham was believed to be there, probably in the air when she launched.
When will we know fer sure? Are we sure he's landed and been notified? Anybody know what frequency he's on?
This site is not one where you could save a stalled launch.
Damn straight! It's not an aerotowing site where stalled launches are GOOD things, or, at the absolute worst, inconveniences. You could have a loss of control of the glider until impact below launch following your stall.
See video tour here:

http://vimeo.com/129357732
Cool video tour. So I guess there were no videos or photos available from the actual incident.

Here's my call... If this had been a solo effort - like Craig Pirazzi's, also a fatal turn back into a cliff face in windy conditions - we'd have IMMEDIATELY heard first hand chatter and outpouring of grief. But there was crew sharing responsibility for this terminal fuckup. The glider started from too far back and/or with its nose not low enough. The crew could've prevented this one so nobody's saying anything about or to anybody about anything.

And anybody who has the least amount of doubt about this call should ask himself why we're hearing NOTHING about the crew, conditions, glider position and trim, Karen's actions and responses. Nah, it's a risky sport and sometimes shit just happens through the fault of no one. Jesse had plenty of speed and corrected just fine when he got popped by that thermal. But unfortunately the strip is too narrow and the trees have gotten too high.

Funny the way when you get out into REAL aviation there always seems to be pilot/human error involved.

P.S. Check out the revision to uplandann's previously referenced post from the end of the CHGA thread:

uplandann - 2015/11/10 15:48:19 UTC

and the two new ones:
uplandann - 2015/11/11 00:47:57 UTC

Jim Rooney - 2015/11/11 04:35:35 UTC

Major damage control operation in progress. "Karen? Karen who? Anybody ever heard of a "Karen"? Sorry, you must have the wrong number." Toldyaso.
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

Mark G. Forbes - 2015/11/11 01:25:07 UTC
And ninety-six seconds later a carbon copy:

http://www.hanggliding.org/viewtopic.php?t=33621
Mark G. Forbes - 2015/11/11 01:26:43 UTC
at The Jack Show - the other Certified u$hPa Tool for privileged information decimation.

Karen's ironic final post at the Kapitol Kite Klub:

http://www.chgpa.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=6771
High Rock 40th Anniversary : Oct 3rd/4th : Volunteers Needed!
Karen Carra - 2015/09/30 03:02:09 UTC

High Rock 40th Anniversary : T-Shirt

Image Image

Just $20. Proceeds go to Emma Jane. Contact Matthew via PM if you want one. (specify size)
(Note that the photo on the T-shirt is the same one which opens the video Mark embeds in his please-be-careful-out-there spam posts. (Wonder if I'm in there. Might even be me launching.))

Compare/Contrast what's happening on the wire now with respect to this twenty year club fixture with what happened with Bill Priday who finished his career and life under the ramp at Whitwell twenty years, one month, seven days prior as a new Three with about a dozen mountain flights in his book - two years younger than Karen, also attempting to get a flight with a Sport 2, also with an unidentified crew which clammed up and was blamed for the shitty job it did in making sure the ramp was left safely.

The kinda massive firestorm one would expect from actual humans. There's nothing but a corporate lawyer and his trained zombies left running the show now. Glad I was out before I could get bitten hard enough to join their ranks.
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

Brian McMahon - 2015/11/11 19:09:25 UTC

Sorry to hear about this. I cringe when I see pilots launch at stall, and I'm afraid I see it too often.
Where does the report say she stalled? And if she DID stall...

- Wouldn't that imply that everyone on her crew was at fault for not helping ensure that her glider was positioned properly forward out in the turbulent jet stream and trimmed nose down?

- How come there's not a single word of discussion anywhere on proper Assisted Windy Cliff Launch technique? There was certainly no shortage of advice on ridge soaring and landing recently for this guy:

27-11504
http://c1.staticflickr.com/1/697/22339929099_0c7eeb9aba_o.png
51-12518
http://c1.staticflickr.com/1/749/22500768226_d51cf05234_o.png
55-12709
http://c2.staticflickr.com/6/5715/22526738155_5abcc25c63_o.png
58-12726
http://c1.staticflickr.com/1/724/22537873921_8a2054d25c_o.png

And he had a pretty good day relative to Karen's - fully recovered, back at work, thinking about getting a new glider. So what do you think's going on here?

And anyway, your primary hangout nowadays is The Bob Show, right? Didn't think stalls were big fuckin' deals over there - just challenges that people needed to learn to properly respond to.
<BS>

Post by <BS> »

How come there's not a single word of discussion anywhere on proper Assisted Windy Cliff Launch technique?
The pilot should direct the assistants. As an assistant I've done things on my own to help a launch, but then discussed it later with the pilot to make sure they understand what happened.
Dave Gills

Post by Dave Gills »

Tad Eareckson wrote:- Wouldn't that imply that everyone on her crew was at fault for not helping ensure that her glider was positioned properly forward out in the turbulent jet stream and trimmed nose down
I was there for the 40th but did not fly.

I expected to see a professional wire crew at one of the oldest HG sites in the world.
I expected to be schooled.

It was F'n chaos.

At one point the left wing tip was nearly touching the ground and BOTH the left and right wire men are yelling UP!!!
(one presumably means I am pulling up on the wire and the other means I have up pressure)

There was no nose wire man because apparently they just don't do that anymore.
Instead they put a guy on the keel and assign him the task of keeping the nose down.
(Confusingly enough, he also yells UP & DOWN directions)

None of the wire crew wants to get very near the edge because nobody remembered to bring anything to secure themselves with.
Eventually they use a bunch of glider tie down straps.

It went on like that all day.
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

The pilot should direct the assistants.
Assuming the pilot's a pilot. But sometimes the assistants are much better pilots than the pilot is.
I was there for the 40th but did not fly.
Possibly the single best flying decision you've ever made.
I expected to see a professional wire crew at one of the oldest HG sites in the world.
Controlled by a totally senile club. And I expected the Highland Aerosports crew to know what the fuck they were doing and talking about at the beginning of the 1999 season. Huge mistake.
I expected to be schooled.
You were - superbly.
It was F'n chaos.
Just wear a u$hPa FOCUSED PILOT wristband. You'll be fine.
At one point the left wing tip was nearly touching the ground and BOTH the left and right wire men are yelling UP!!!
(one presumably means I am pulling up on the wire and the other means I have up pressure)
Up/Down, Pressure/Tension, Two/Three point, Angle of attack / Pitch attitude, Release / Weak link, Release / Bridle, Hang check / Hook-in check... Just say whatever ya feel like. SOMEBODY in the crowd will be on the same wavelength.
There was no nose wire man because apparently they just don't do that anymore.
THAT I can live with most of the time. If I've just got one guy I want him outboard on a sidewire. Same reason that THIS:

http://c2.staticflickr.com/2/1558/25912821781_ced007a9d6_o.jpg

has become:

http://www.blueskyhg.com/products/accessories/ATprimary2.jpg

Plus hang gliders stabilize in pitch and tend to do the opposite in roll. But there are times when you need a nose in addition to or instead of a wing.
Instead they put a guy on the keel and assign him the task of keeping the nose down.
Lotsa times you want somebody on the nose while moving the glider onto the ramp and into position in the airflow. But then you can clear him and let a tail guy deal with pitch and suck.
(Confusingly enough, he also yells UP & DOWN directions)
Well, the important thing is that he's yelling.
None of the wire crew wants to get very near the edge because nobody remembered to bring anything to secure themselves with.
That's another good reason to always carry a spool of 130 pound Greenspot in your kit bag. Very precise specifications and ya can't beat the track record length.
Eventually they use a bunch of glider tie down straps.
Tad-O-Links.
It went on like that all day.
Didn't this past Sunday.

That shitheap of a club has yet to even acknowledge that they've just had maybe four percent of their active flying membership killed four days ago. They've deleted four posts from three individuals referring to the incident - despite the fact that it's gone totally public out on the two big international forums and there's been official u$hPa privileged information decimation.

There's gotta be some major hatred, fear, factionalization going on internally. Hopefully Karen Carra will do to CHGA what Arys Moorhead did to u$hPa.

I got this theory that you need a critical mass of intelligence and decency for a branch of aviation to be able to survive at any significant level and hang gliding don't got nuthin' CLOSE to it. And lacking that critical mass stupidity and evil will INEVITABLY coalesce to crush every last vestige of intelligence and decency it can hold its sights on for a second or two.

That's EXACTLY what we're seeing now - and it's rolling with a snowballing momentum.

And Matthew very happily hopped on that bandwagon while my old club was fucking me over last decade so he's got plenty of Karen's blood on his hands. I feel pretty confident saying that if I'd been on that crew Karen would've had a clean launch and a nice flight that afternoon. Gawd knows I got enough practice launching gliders from outside the control frame on the dunes in the early Eighties.