General discussion about the sport of hang gliding
Tad Eareckson

Re: You are NEVER hooked in.

Post by Tad Eareckson »

Hang Gliding - 1992/03
Hook-In Signs, Gadgets And Electronic Alarms
by Harry Martin

THE HOOK-IN PROBLEM

What is it in our brains that allows us to run off launch ramps with full confidence to fly, but oblivious to making that safety link between body and flying machine? What human trait grants us the audacity to fling our bodies into the air like the mindless lemmings of the arctic without first checking our hang straps?

Maybe it's nature's way of getting rid of the less fit--the ones that survived childbirth thanks to modern medicine--or the ones saved by a society that enforces laws designed to protect people from themselves. Maybe our sport's collective consciousness is so diluted with ill-thinking, intellectually-deprived pilots that nature is now getting even with the technically advanced idiots who fail to hook in. I dunno. I suppose it's what I refer to as "Oafism," a disease of the mind, the soil of thing that happens when you push the wrong button on the vending machine to get a candy bar, and get a bag of stale peanuts instead. You saw the right button, you reached for the right button, and yet you pushed the wrong button. "What a jerk," you think to yourself, and put more money in the machine and try again.

In hang gliding you're lucky to get a second chance when you fail to hook in. We don't fly with air bags, seat belts or protective cushions to protect us against hard impacts. We can't. We wouldn't be able to pick up all the safety equipment we'd have to install on our foot-launched gliders. Our soft, fleshy bodies fair poorly against lichen-covered basalt, so we rely on our highly developed intellect to prevent such mishaps.

Unfortunately, that intellect has failed a few of us. I know some pilots in my club who have failed to hook in. They never dreamt it would happen to them; but despite their best efforts it happened, I believe this is one area of our sport that needs improvement. To help eliminate oafisms, we have some pretty ingenious gadgets and rituals that can make that critical safety check a sure thing every time.

I wish to explore some of those hook-in devices, touching on the pro's and cons of each of them, and then proceed with a description of my own personal electronic hook-in alarm. Keep in mind that these are all good ideas, and all could be used to prevent failures to hook in.

HOOK-IN SIGNS

The first item is the visual warning. It's usually located in the vicinity of the launch ramp if not trampled by a previous pilot or vandal.

Pro: The hook-in sign will remind you that the unseen force of gravity is about to be tested, with YOU being the subject of the next experiment, YOU will see this sign and think to yourself, "Am I hooked in?" and make that last visual check to verify that the carabiner is in fact locked into the hang strap. YOU will get a valuable hang check from your trusted companions, and just prior to launch, to prove to yourself that you are hooked in, YOU will lift your glider up so high that you can feel the hang straps.

Con: The lights are on but nobody's home. You see the sign so many times that your mind learns to blank it out. How many times do you read a sign until it is ignored? You didn't see that your carabiner wasn't hooked in; what makes you think you'll see a sign that your brain doesn't read? Your eyes will not believe what your hands have failed to do when it's too late to hook in.

Personal Opinion: Hook-in signs work. Cartoonist Bob Lafay, has painted some rather clever signs that catch my attention prior to launch, it seems that there is a new one posted every other time I visit the launch ramp. I can't help but think about safety after seeing one of his signs, I would suggest that each club produce several different and unique signs, and post them on a rotating basis so that frequent flyers can continue to defy gravity. My thanks to Bob Lafay for his efforts to save my skin.

GHASTLY GADGETS

Some pilots use add-on gadgets to "flag" them when they are not hooked in. There is one in particular that scares me. Jack Wathey wrote about a bungee and nylon cord device (see the October '91 issue, page 26) which I have seen in a previous issue of Hang Gliding. Another one by Henry Boessel (see the January '92 issue, page 51) is similar to Jack's, but appears to be a better design.

Pro: It's cheap and easy to use. No batteries required. Relies on elastic material and gravity. As long as you remember to hook into all three loops, you will not see the warning flag hanging down. As long as you are not blind, the device will do its job.

Con: You now have three loops in which to lock your carabiner. What do you think will happen if you just hook into that one thin nylon loop that pulls the bungee, and forget the primary and backup strap? (It can happen. After all, pilots fail to hook in without this gadget.) The design is no better than none at all. Too many straps and cords hanging down can result in added confusion for a new pilot who is suffering from input overload, the same input overload that almost got me on several occasions. I like the idea of a single hang strap myself, though I do use a backup. Suppose the flag does not hang down far enough because it is clinging to some other material? This device relies on the pilot to make sure it is set up prior to use, and needs a preflight check. Again, if you unhook for some reason and fail to hook in a second time because the flag got caught on something, you are in danger. And one more loop from which to unhook means one move hassle in an emergency.

Personal Opinion: The chances of hooking in improperly when using a bungee cord warning device may be greater than not using one at all. I would not want to hassle with more than one or two loops during hook-in. Never underestimate the power of a simple hang check. As Jack Wathey admitted, his instructor gave him a visual hang check that saved his bones and glider from possible destruction. Given the choice between Henry's and Jack's design, I'll take Henry's.

HIGH TECH ELECTRONIC HOOK-IN ALARMS

So, what other gadgets are there to warn of failure to hook in? Let's look at electronic devices. To my knowledge, there are presently two ideas festering in the background, my unpatented hook-in alarm and John Gray's patented hook-in alarm. The devices use a sensor to detect the carabiner, a level sensor to detect when the glider is straight and level for launch, and a rather loud buzzer or siren to alert the pilot that a failure to hook in has occurred upon picking up the glider.

Pro: The electronic hook-in alarm eliminates a third loop to pull away a visual flag. The carabiner sensor can be attached to the primary or backup hang strap and greatly simplify the hook-in procedure. No additional hookups, wires or gaudy accessories are needed to warn the pilot. A sufficiently loud buzzer will warn the pilot that he is about to launch without hooking in. Due to the unique sensor design, hooking and unhooking are no different than when not using the alarm. The level sensor prevents the alarm from sounding while setting up the glider, and since the alarm would only be active during launch, the battery should last a couple of years.

Con: It needs a battery. What if the battery dies the same day you forget to get a hang check? Suppose a switch breaks during a bad landing. Will it work the next time around? Will dirt and dust enter the mechanical parts and muck up the delicate electronic guts? How about false alarms? How long will you be willing to listen to an obnoxious alarm before you get fed up with the device, rip it off your glider and stomp it into the ground? Besides, the sensor, wire and little black box look kinda nerdy on a sleek gliding machine.

Personal Opinion: The electronic hook-in alarm works. I've seen John's design work, and my "final" design (at some point you have to shoot the engineer and get on with production) is on my glider and has been working for some time now. The electronic guts and switches can be made weather and shock proof. The battery can be replaced before it would ever fail (you fly with a battery in your vario, right?), and developing better preflight habits should minimize false alarms.

Quite frankly, I do not believe any of these devices, by themselves, will prevent failures to hook in. There will always be someone, somewhere who will just oaf out. But I believe the chances of making such a mistake can be greatly reduced.

All of the above devices, along with the tried-and-true hang check, will minimize the number of accidental failures to hook in. I know there are more pros and cons for each of the above, so where does that leave us? Hopefully, a majority of us will take advantage of some or all of these ideas for safety, and reaffirm good preflight habits.

A PERSONAL ELECTRONIC HOOK-IN ALARM

Of all the great articles that appear in Hang Gliding magazine, I find Doug Hildreth's accident reports the most illuminating. We can learn from the mistakes of others, and the recent significant increase in the number of pilots who fail to hook in greatly disturbs me. I can't help but wonder when it may happen to me.

Knowing my own limitations, and realizing that I could suffer a severe oafism, I decided to design my own hook-in alarm. In 1988 I built a working prototype and tried it out on a pilot friend to see what would happen. It had an obvious design flaw and was laughed out of existence.

So I tried all sorts of designs in the privacy of my own harness when no one was looking. I played with magnetic sensors, infrared optical sensors, spring-loaded switches, bungee cords and other crazy schemes. The most difficult thing about the whole project was figuring out how to install an indestructible, nice looking, inexpensive sensor in a soft, mushy hang strap. I wanted something that would detect the fact that you were hooked in through the simple act of hooking in, without the need to pull on a third loop or plug in a connector. The sensor needed to be easily installed on any glider without hassle, and it had to work with any arrangement of the carabiner. The hang strap offers no support for a rigid sensor that must be in close proximity to the device that it is trying to sense. The carabiner flops around and changes position in the strap. This problem was to be a thorn for quite some time, I finally worked out a design which I would like to share with everyone. I can only hope that this idea will spur people to either build the device, or demand that glider manufacturers look into installing such a device as an option on your next new glider.

So what is the great solution? It's simple: the carabiner is metal and therefore conducts electricity. It is a very simple matter to install two very small metal plates inside your backup hang strap. The two metal plates are connected to wires that go to an alarm circuit. As soon as you hook in, the carabiner makes contact across the plates and deactivates the alarm. Thus, your carabiner acts as a switch to close a sensor circuit.

Since the carabiner is the switch, there is nothing to wear out, get dirty or replace except for the carabiner itself. But, as with any piece of equipment, it is only as good as the person who uses it. Use it correctly and it could save your life. It only has to work once to prove a point, as did the first pilot who was saved by a backup parachute in the 70's. I hope to hear someday that a pilot was saved by either John's design or mine.

CONSTRUCTION AND THEORY OF OPERATION

As mentioned, the carabiner is the switch for the sensor in the hang strap. That leaves the alarm circuit. My alarm circuit utilizes two timers and the actual ear-piercing buzzer. One timer delays turning on the alarm for a couple of seconds to help reduce the number of false alarms. The other timer delays turning off the alarm so that after a couple of minutes of a 78-decibel earache it will shut down to save the battery. I figure that if you don't take action to hook in during those first two minutes, you're either deaf or nowhere near the glider. I have included the basic schematic for the overall circuit except for the actual alarm guts. Ninety-nine percent of the parts can be found at Radio Shack. Almost any simple electronic alarm can be used, and it does not have to include delays. Removing the delay circuitry greatly simplifies its construction, but this was a feature that I wanted in the overall design.

The buzzer is a piezo electric transducer that screams as loud as a crying infant who wants attention. It was tested to be quite obnoxious from 12 volts DC all the way down to three volts DC. I used CMOS parts to get a wider operating voltage range. A nine-volt lithium battery should last longer than the hang straps on my glider.

When the glider is tail down for setup, breakdown, or standby prior to flight, a mercury (Hg) bulb tilt switch turns all power off and resets both timers. As soon as the glider is lifted and is level for flight, the mercury tilts to the other side of the bulb, powers up the circuit, and starts the timers. If the carabiner contacts the sensor both timers are reset, and the alarm is disabled until you unhook. If you unhook while the alarm is active, both timers restart and will time out all over again. Thus, in my design, much attention was given to preserving battery life, and making sure that the timers would always restart no matter when or how often you unhook or hook in.

The carabiner circuit is sensitive enough to detect a finger across the contact plates, so that even the dirtiest carabiner (steel or aluminum) will be detected. The contact plates that mount in the hang strap were constructed from pieces of non-anodized aluminum. Stainless steel would be better, but aluminum is easier to work with, with limited hand tools. The plates where mounted (are you ready for this?) to the wood pieces of a clothes pin. Yep, I discovered that the spring between those two pieces of wood provided the perfect tension to keep the plates against the carabiner. I experimented with bungee cord material, but discovered that with time the bungee weakens and loses its grip (the stuff just gets tired). The plates were then sewn into the backup strap using just a few stitches. The sensor is easily inspected for damage and can be moved to a new strap should the backup ever need replacing. With just a little care, I expect the sensor to last the rest of my natural flying life. I chose to put the plates inside the backup to save wear and tear on the sensor. Should I fail to hook into my primary strap, at the very least, I would be hooked into my backup.

The last thing I added to the design was an arming pin. The arming pin is attached to the glider cover bag with a long cord. As long as the pin remains in the alarm it is disarmed and off, to save the battery no matter what position the glider is in. When the cover bag comes off, the pin pulls out to arm the circuit. Thus, the pilot does not need to remember to turn on the alarm.

As an alternative, a flag could be attached to the pin instead of the cover bag. The pilot could then remove the pin prior to flight, eliminating possible false alarms while ground handling the glider. If the pilot forgets to put the pin back in after putting the glider away, the second timer will automatically shut down the alarm to save the battery.

The arming pin contains a small bar magnet that activates a normally open magnetic reed switch. When the pin is in, the reed switch opens to kill battery power, When the pin is pulled, the switch closes to turn on battery power. A reed switch was used so that it can be sealed from the weather. Everything was neatly tucked inside the plastic housing that I constructed from PVC end caps. The pin can be inserted from either side into a plastic sleeve. Thus, I have a circuit which is fully protected from moisture and dust.

All parts are mounted with epoxy adhesives and a little super glue here and there. The Hg bulb switch is sandwiched between layers of foam tape to provide shock mounting and the plastic housing was cut and shaped so that it will fit flush with the keel. A piece of foam rubber seals the battery compartment from the elements and the whole thing is held in place with some of our favorite material, velcro.

The photographs of the installed system show that it requires very little room to install. As a matter of fact, I have another design that slips right into a downtube, so if it weren't for the sensor wire you wouldn't even know it was on the glider. Another design could be easily installed into the hollow keel of any glider, since control bar configurations differ.

THE FUTURE

This is where I put in a pitch for glider manufacturers to consider designing keels to house such a device. How much trouble would it be to incorporate a small compartment to accommodate a battery and alarm? The battery could be slipped into the keel near an endcap, with the rest of the circuit closer to the kingpost. The whole circuit is inexpensive enough to be considered disposable. It could be installed on all gliders as a feature, then it would be up to the pilot to decide whether or not to use it.

The most common reaction from seasoned pilots is: "That's a great idea for students." Old salty flying dogs may not go for this, so there may not be a market for an electronic hook-in alarm. But I remember when I bought a parachute in 1978 when no one wanted them. A week later I was getting calls from my flying buddies begging me to let them borrow it. Their plea was: "I'm going to do some heavy duty flying this weekend, can I please borrow your parachute?" What kind of flying were they doing prior to that weekend, sissy flying? I told them to get lost as I hugged by new parachute. So now I've got my hook-in alarm and a parachute that I've never had to use.

Will anyone buy it? Does anyone want it? It remains to be seen. The whole argument for having one is easily shot down by the fact that hang checks cost nothing.

It is my opinion that hook-in signs, stringy gadgets, alarms and hang checks will all help to prevent failures to hook in. I hope my electronic solution encourages more pilots to experiment with such devices. The hook-in alarm is not meant to replace the hang check, but only to act as a backup should other safety checks fail. Should I ever be the last pilot off the mountain with no launch assist for a hang check, I'm betting that it will prevent a failure to hook in. I would encourage glider manufacturers to consider installing such a device as an option. Maybe someday a doctor will invent a pill to cure oafism, and we will never read about failures to hook in again.

Inquiries and requests for further information about this alarm can be addressed to: Harry Martin, 706 Tudor Cir., Thousand Oaks, CA 91360.-Ed.
---
Close-up of sensor plates. Note that plates are tacked inside of hang strap with thread,
---
Alarm with gasket--arming pin in place.
---
ABOVE: Left--glider on ground prior to setup. Velcro keeps alarm in place. Right--complete setup, demonstrating pulling of arming pin as cover bag is removed.
---
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

by Harry Martin

THE HOOK-IN PROBLEM

What is it in our brains that allows us to run off launch ramps with full confidence to fly, but oblivious to making that safety link between body and flying machine? What human trait grants us the audacity to fling our bodies into the air like the mindless lemmings of the arctic without first checking our hang straps?
1. Neither making that safety link between body and flying machine nor first checking our hang straps prevents people from plummeting to their deaths while their gliders fly away without them. And if you had a fucking clue as to what you're talking about you'd know and understand that.

2. I notice you're not saying anything about leg loops or partial hook-ins. And I have little doubt that you're deliberately excluding those issues 'cause your gadget does shit to address them.

3. The mindless lemmings of the arctic we're mindlessly destroying with all of our mindless burning of fossil fuels don't actually do that.

But, what the fuck, if you had any actual clues about the subject on which you're writing u$hPa wouldn't publish your article.
Maybe it's nature's way of getting rid of the less fit--the ones that survived childbirth thanks to modern medicine--or the ones saved by a society that enforces laws designed to protect people from themselves. Maybe our sport's collective consciousness is so diluted with ill-thinking, intellectually-deprived pilots that nature is now getting even with the technically advanced idiots who fail to hook in.
Bullshit.
I dunno.
Correct. Quit before you make a bigger ass of yourself.
I suppose it's what I refer to as "Oafism," a disease of the mind, the soil of thing that happens when you push the wrong button on the vending machine to get a candy bar, and get a bag of stale peanuts instead. You saw the right button, you reached for the right button, and yet you pushed the wrong button. "What a jerk," you think to yourself, and put more money in the machine and try again.
Oh. Humans are capable of making mistakes whose consequences may be trivial or lethal depending upon the situation. Lemme write that down, I never really considered the issue before.
In hang gliding you're lucky to get a second chance when you fail to hook in.
Bull fucking shit. We have a HUGE percentage of our population that makes that mistake and a fair chunk that makes it more than once. I have twenty-one individuals who've ever posted on Kite Strings.
- Jonathan launched unhooked on a snow covered hillside and dislocated a finger.
- Allen launched unhooked twice near the beginning of his career and almost killed himself once but walked away both times.
- Christopher was alerted that he was unhooked at launch position on the ramp by another party.

Additionally...
- Larry pulled an unhooked launch on a scooter tow.
- Zack filmed an unhooked launch at a training site while he himself was experimenting with hook-in check techniques.
- Jonathan filmed from the air a serious unhooked launch crash at Kagel.
- Yours Truly launched for some high wind dune soaring passes and landed partially hooked.

These things are common as dirt but on only the rarest of occasions are serious enough to end lives or end or interrupt careers.
We don't fly with air bags, seat belts or protective cushions to protect us against hard impacts.
We fly with cushioned helmets, padded harness, and chest mounted parachutes that can and often do prevent serious injuries.
We can't. We wouldn't be able to pick up all the safety equipment we'd have to install on our foot-launched gliders.
But if we could and did all that safety equipment would make it almost impossible to crash our planes violently enough to get seriously injured.
Our soft, fleshy bodies fair poorly against lichen-covered basalt, so we rely on our highly developed intellect to prevent such mishaps.
Oh. It's our highly developed intellects that keep our fatality rates down to something reasonable. Like, for example...
The Press - 2006/03/15

The Civil Aviation Authority (CAA) is urgently pushing for new hang-gliding industry standards after learning a hang-gliding pilot who suffered serious injuries in a crash three weeks ago had not clipped himself on to the glider.

Extreme Air tandem gliding pilot James (Jim) Rooney safely clipped his passenger into the glider before departing from the Coronet Peak launch site, near Queenstown, CAA sports and recreation manager Rex Kenny said yesterday.

However, he took off without attaching himself.

In a video, he was seen to hold on to the glider for about fifty meters before hitting power lines.

Rooney and the passenger fell about fifteen meters to the ground.
...Jim Keen-Intellect Rooney himself.

http://ozreport.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4247
Hook in failure in New Zealand
Jim Rooney - 2006/09/24 21:19:29 UTC

Ok, this thread's a million miles long already (and mostly my fault at that), so I'm not going to feel bad about making it a tad longer.

A couple things to chew on here...

There isn't one sure-fire answer.
If there was, we'd all be doing it already. This thread I think makes this obvious... every single thing people have put forth as "the way", someone else has show how it can fail. Every single one. Argue about the details, but every single one fails.

Here's the real trick of it in my book (especially with new technology, but it applies to methods too)...
Whatever you change only works on that glider/site/whatever.
What happens when you're off flying somewhere else or flying someone else's gear?

Someone suggested putting a red flag on the nose of the glider that gets removed after the hang check... this way, if you haven't hooked in, it's really obvious. Say this works for you and you get used to it. Then you borrow a glider or fly a different site on a rented glider. In your world, no red streamer means "good to go".

Take Aussied vs clipin if you like... what happens when you're at a site that you can't use the aussie method with? (I can name you some cliff launches that you can't if you care). Now you're used to the security of the aussie method, and it's not there. You might say that the fear will help you, but your instincts will say otherwise (the fear is highlevel thought, and highlevel thought is the first thing that gets tossed out of your brain.. else we'd never launch unhooked in the first place).

Argue if you will about the examples (whatever), the trick of it isn't the method to me, it's how using new things doesn't work (and actually causes problems) in strange ways (like when going back to "normal" flying after getting used to the new method/device).

Enough about what doesn't work though... what does?
Since we don't have a plug that only fits one way, we fall on lesser methods, but some are better than others...

In particular... Third Party Verification.
You won't save you, but your friends might.
Not always, but they're more reliable than you.
Why do you think that airline checklists (yes our lovely checklists) are check-verified by pilot AND copilot?

That's all I got for ya.
The other topics have been beat to death here.
If there was an answer, we'd all already be doing it.
Funny, he doesn't seem to be aware of the existence of your gadget. And here I was thinking he knew everything about everything.
Unfortunately, that intellect has failed a few of us.
Intellect doesn't have shit to do with failing to hook in or arriving at launch unhooked. ANY human is vulnerable to making a mistake in that department.
I know some pilots in my club who have failed to hook in.
So based on your statement:
In hang gliding you're lucky to get a second chance when you fail to hook in.
we can assume that a much greater number of pilots in your club were killed or seriously permanently injured as consequences of unhooked launches. Name them.
They never dreamt it would happen to them;
1. Oh right. They were only doing those hang checks to reverify their bar clearances before each flight.

2. Yeah, they never dreamt it would happen to them because they all do hang checks before all their flights. Me? I assume that it WILL happen to me and that it'll happen on the very launch I'm about to execute. That way I can skip the idiot hang check AND guarantee that I'll never launch unhooked. Win/Win.
...but despite their best efforts it happened...
Yeah, they probably WERE making their best efforts. Probably also drinking the same water you are.
I believe this is one area of our sport that needs improvement.
Nah, we're doing fine as it is. If it ain't broke...
To help eliminate oafisms, we have some pretty ingenious gadgets and rituals that can make that critical safety check a sure thing every time.
Bull fucking shit. The ONLY thing that safely works for an unlimited population of flyers is an indelible fear of launching not safely connected and a minimal effort at verification at launch position within a couple seconds of commitment.
I wish to explore some of those hook-in devices...
And totally ignore what the smartest people in this game are saying and doing.
...touching on the pro's and cons of each of them...
"Pros" doesn't have any more apostrophes in it than "cons" or "solos".
...and then proceed with a description of my own personal electronic hook-in alarm. Keep in mind that these are all good ideas...
Oh, the best. After all, we're using our highly developed intellects to prevent such mishaps.
...and all could be used to prevent failures to hook in.
So can hooking in just about all the time. But we need something with a bulletproof foundation in logic and a stellar field record.
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

by Harry Martin

HOOK-IN SIGNS

The first item is the visual warning. It's usually located in the vicinity of the launch ramp if not trampled by a previous pilot or vandal.
And, of course, if it HAS been trampled by a previous pilot or vandal you're starting off about thirty percent screwed 'cause no fuckin' way is the sight of the two hundred foot drop-off below the front edge of the ramp gonna trigger any thoughts about the hook-in issue and the likely consequences of running off with your carabiner dangling.
Pro: The hook-in sign will remind you that the unseen force of gravity...
...which you most assuredly won't be feeling as you effortlessly ascend the steps at the back of the ramp...
...is about to be tested, with YOU being the subject of the next experiment, YOU will see this sign and think to yourself, "Am I hooked in?" and make that last visual check to verify that the carabiner is in fact locked into the hang strap.
1. Yeah...

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5492/14666057035_1786a4e18c_o.jpg

Right.

http://c2.staticflickr.com/6/5566/14704620965_ce30a874b7_o.png

2. Why does it hafta be a VISUAL check? I do my visual preflight check every time when I'm hooking in. I don't mess with that bullshit at any other time. If you feel you need to repeat that preflight check then why stop there? Why not recheck everything else in the glider/harness system that has the potential to kill you?

3. Give me one example of a locked or locking carabiner making the suspension system SAFER.
YOU will get a valuable hang check from your trusted companions...
1. Whether you want one or not. And then after you've had one everybody will return to their gliders and continue stuffing battens - now reassured and confident that you are safely hooked in from that point on.

2. Fuck my trusted companions. I don't trust myself one inch on this issue. So why the hell would I wanna start trusting a collection of Rooney Linking pin benders who think that a towline transmits PRESSURE to a glider?

3. What if my trusted companions have all launched already?
...and just prior to launch, to prove to yourself that you are hooked in, YOU will lift your glider up so high that you can feel the hang straps.
1. I will?
- Why? Name ONE u$hPa instructor who teaches his students to do that.
- No fuckin' way, dude! All that does is raise my wing into the turbulent jet stream and give me a false sense of security.
- What's the point?
-- I JUST GOT a valuable hang check from my trusted companions.
-- And besides, I've got this really cool electronic gadget that will scream really annoyingly if I lift my glider without being hooked in.

2. What if there's no wind, all my trusted companions have already taken off, and I'm physically incapable of lifting my dead-weight glider up so high that I can feel the hang straps?

3. Have you ever actually done this yourself, Harry? I rather doubt it 'cause if you had you'd realize that:
- You can't feel the hang straps. What you actually feel is the glider stopping as your leg loops tighten.
- Your gadget is a misguided total waste of time and energy.
Con: The lights are on but nobody's home. You see the sign so many times...
...once tops in just about all cases...
...that your mind learns to blank it out. How many times do you read a sign until it is ignored?
Once tops in just about all cases.
You didn't see that your carabiner wasn't hooked in; what makes you think you'll see a sign that your brain doesn't read?
I dunno... The carabiner's behind you and the sign's in front of you?
Your eyes will not believe what your hands have failed to do when it's too late to hook in.
How do you know that your hands have failed to hook you in? TONS of people have hooked in and verified just fine then unhooked to retrieve a helmet or adjust a camera.

Name me ONE PERSON who's established a routine of a HOOK-IN check JUST PRIOR TO LAUNCH and EVER ONCE omitted it 'cause the lights were on but nobody was home.
Personal Opinion: Hook-in signs work.
Bull fucking shit. The two hundred foot drop-off doesn't work. So how do you expect some idiot little sign reminding the idiot that he must've executed a procedure before running off the two hundred foot drop-off to work?
Cartoonist Bob Lafay, has painted some rather clever signs that catch my attention prior to launch, it seems that there is a new one posted every other time I visit the launch ramp.
Has any one of them ever said anything about performing a hook-in check just prior to launch?
I can't help but think about safety after seeing one of his signs...
1. GREAT! Glider preflighted, harness mains straight, main and backup, parachute pins engaged, helmet buckled, shoes tied...

2. Oh.

- Two paragraphs ago you WOULD see this sign and think to yourself, "Am I hooked in?. But now you can't help but think about safety after seeing one of his signs. Great progression.

- So what would you be thinking about approaching the launch ramp harnessed up with your glider on your shoulders if you DIDN'T see one of his signs? Who the Dodgers are gonna start with as pitcher for Game Four of the World Series tonight. Got news for ya, asshole... EVERYBODY's thinking about safety approaching a launch ramp. The problem is that often people are killed because they're thinking about executing a clean strong launch run in a good cycle when they NEED to be thinking about whether or not they're hooked in and have their leg loops.

3. Where's the sign and what are the shortest and longest intervals you've experienced between reading the idiot sign and starting your launch run?

4. How 'bout everyone else? Nobody's ever walked by the sign and had to wait fifteen minutes for the wind to settle down and/or straighten up or needed to unhook to deal with an equipment issue?
I would suggest that each club produce several different and unique signs, and post them on a rotating basis so that frequent flyers can continue to defy gravity.
Yeah, that'll happen.
My thanks to Bob Lafay for his efforts to save my skin.
1. Oh, his EFFORTS. The idiot hang check is an astronomical EFFORT to save people's skins but any halfway intelligent analysis show's that it obviously does the precise opposite.

2. These signs are total bullshit. They do absolutely nothing, we have plenty of records of people walking by or over them with their carabiners dangling en route to unpleasant afternoons, and we don't have ONE SINGLE REPORT of anyone ever seeing a sign and suddenly realizing that he wasn't hooked in - or didn't have his fucking leg loops which is a potentially deadly issue that you conspicuously mention NOWHERE in your idiot article. If they do ANYTHING they further promote the mindset that anyone on the ramp in a harness obviously must be safely connected to the glider on his shoulders.

Since unhooked launches are rare events - let's say ten nationwide per year (nine of them being inconsequential ones nobody ever hears about) - NO MATTER WHAT YOU DO, you can say that ANYTHING you do "WORKS". Wearing a little red rubber u$hPa FOCUSED PILOT wristband and/or guzzling a can of cold beer just prior to leaving the setup area will "WORK" about 99.9 or better percent of the time.

This is EXACTLY how all these magic fishing line motherfuckers got away with their global scam for a third of a century. For ANY flight in which a Davis Link popped and the pilot wasn't killed the claim COULD BE and WAS made that it "WORKED". And whenever somebody was killed because it:
- didn't work it had still stacked the deck in his favor
- worked when he didn't want it to he'd obviously been killed a lot worse if he'd been using a Tad-O-Link
Took the high profile, spectacular, and unambiguous 2013/02/02 Zack Marzec pro toad fatality to finally drive the stake through the heart of that one.
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

by Harry Martin

GHASTLY GADGETS

Some pilots use add-on gadgets to "flag" them when they are not hooked in.
Nah Harry, actual *PILOTS* DO NOT use these things. Check out this comment:

http://www.hanggliding.org/viewtopic.php?t=26557
Failure to hook in 6/29/12
Alan Deikman - 2012/07/17 17:57:38 UTC

I designed a mechanism to prevent FTHI which I think would be pretty effective, probably with the same failure rate as the glider itself. I will never implement it, and if I applied for a patent it would be for the express purpose of stopping anyone else from implementing it.

If you don't understand why then I don't think you understand the central issue on this topic.
He has that totally right.
There is one in particular that scares me.
Ya know the one in particular that ALWAYS scares the crap outta me? The thought two seconds before I start my launch run that I might not be hooked in.
Jack Wathey wrote about a bungee and nylon cord device (see the October '91 issue, page 26) which I have seen in a previous issue of Hang Gliding. Another one by Henry Boessel (see the January '92 issue, page 51) is similar to Jack's, but appears to be a better design.

Pro: It's cheap and easy to use. No batteries required. Relies on elastic material and gravity. As long as you remember to hook into all three loops...
Oh good. Another loop. Just what this sport really needs.
...you will not see the warning flag hanging down. As long as you are not blind, the device will do its job.
So you won't hafta do yours.
Con: You now have three loops in which to lock your carabiner.
Again... Why do I need to LOCK my carabiner? Why do I need to put extra complicated heavy junk into the airflow to make my suspension more dangerous structurally and make it more difficult and dangerous to separate from my glider in an emergency such as a water or high wind landing or dust devil situation?
What do you think will happen if you just hook into that one thin nylon loop that pulls the bungee, and forget the primary and backup strap?
Who gives a flying fuck? You have to be a total idiot to do that or use such a device in the first place.
(It can happen. After all, pilots fail to hook in without this gadget.)
Yeah. EVERYBODY is capable of not hooking in or unhooking and forgetting to rebook. But the only people who suffer serious consequences from those oversights are the total fuckin' assholes who ELECT to never do hook-in checks.
The design is no better than none at all.
Sure it is. You just told it that it was and it's YOUR article so you can tell us anything you feel like pulling outta your ass. We don't need any actual data, anecdotes or logic to back up these statements.

I'll tell ya the ONE THING that's "better" about these designs... The people who are designing and using them are all AT LEAST smart enough to recognize the unhooked launch as the deadly threat that it is and realize that they're at just as much risk of screwing this pooch as all who've gone before. And that realization alone instills the appropriate fear of launching unhooked. And just having the appropriate fear instilled sends your probability of screwing that pooch a fair way down the toilet.

No gadgeteer will ever launch unhooked 'cause he's always afraid he will and all that extra crap he's adding to his glider keeps him constantly tuned into the problem. But you're NEVER gonna hear a gadgeteer report that his system alerted him to an issue. And there are much better ways requiring no or virtually no additional equipment of addressing this issue.
Too many straps and cords hanging down can result in added confusion for a new pilot who is suffering from input overload, the same input overload that almost got me on several occasions.
Then how 'bout we start looking into and eliminating dangerous bullshit we don't need or really want - like backup loops, locking carabiners, hang checks, and Infallible Weak Links.
I like the idea of a single hang strap myself, though I do use a backup.
Yeah, whenever there's a choice you should always go with what all the total morons are doing. We get better hang gliding communities that way.
Suppose the flag does not hang down far enough because it is clinging to some other material?
We run an extreme risk of improving the gene pool.
This device relies on the pilot to make sure it is set up prior to use, and needs a preflight check. Again, if you unhook for some reason and fail to hook in a second time because the flag got caught on something, you are in danger. And one more loop from which to unhook means one move hassle in an emergency.
1. So tell me why we're flying with backup loops and locking carabiners?
2. Oh. So there can be a danger associated with being connected to a glider on the ground. Any comment on the Aussie Method?
3. I much prefer yours. Don't hear an alarm going off? You're good to go.
Personal Opinion: The chances of hooking in improperly when using a bungee cord warning device may be greater than not using one at all. I would not want to hassle with more than one or two loops during hook-in.
Did you ever consider just how astronomically stupid it is to use two loops to connect yourself to one keel that's a tiny fraction the strength of one of the loops?
Never underestimate the power of a simple hang check.
To get people killed? No worries, dude. I've read all the fatality reports.
As Jack Wathey admitted, his instructor gave him a visual hang check that saved his bones and glider from possible destruction.
1. What the fuck is a "VISUAL hang check"? A hang check is executed by fully suspending oneself under a glider braced at about trim pitch attitude as if one were in flight - PERIOD. Anything beyond that is an amendment.

2. Any chance we could hear what the problem was? Just kidding.

3. Ain't these u$hPa instructors the best! They find stuff we muppets couldn't possibly detect on our own, never launch themselves or their tandem thrill riders unhooked, and let us know that hook-in checks give us false senses of security and don't work anyway 'cause if they did everybody would be doing them already.
Given the choice between Henry's and Jack's design, I'll take Henry's.
None of the above, thanks.
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

by Harry Martin

HIGH TECH ELECTRONIC HOOK-IN ALARMS

So, what other gadgets are there to warn of failure to hook in?
Two hundred foot drop-off at the end of the ramp? That's not good enough to focus your mind on the issue for a second or two?
Let's look at electronic devices.
Yeah, fuck the cliff itself. What WAS I thinking?
To my knowledge, there are presently two ideas festering in the background, my unpatented hook-in alarm and John Gray's patented hook-in alarm. The devices use a sensor to detect the carabiner, a level sensor to detect when the glider is straight and level for launch, and a rather loud buzzer or siren to alert the pilot that a failure to hook in has occurred upon picking up the glider.
What if you just ASSUMED it HAD occurred upon picking up the glider and all the way until just prior to launch and proceeded accordingly? Wouldn't that be a lot safer and make launch a more pleasant environment regardless of your hook-in status?
Pro: The electronic hook-in alarm eliminates a third loop to pull away a visual flag.
No if only we could eliminate the SECOND loop.
The carabiner sensor can be attached to the primary or backup hang strap...
Fuck the backup strap.
...and greatly simplify the hook-in procedure. No additional hookups, wires or gaudy accessories are needed to warn the pilot.
Where's the sensor that checks that your carabiner is fully engaged and closed go? And what's doing your leg loops?
A sufficiently loud buzzer will warn the pilot that he is about to launch without hooking in.
How sufficiently loud does it hafta be to warn a deaf pilot? (There's at least one I know about.)
Due to the unique sensor design, hooking and unhooking are no different than when not using the alarm. The level sensor prevents the alarm from sounding while setting up the glider, and since the alarm would only be active during launch, the battery should last a couple of years.

Con: It needs a battery. What if the battery dies the same day you forget to get a hang check?
Who the fuck gives a rat's ass? What the hell does a hang check have to do with the issue of being hooked in on launch?
Suppose a switch breaks during a bad landing. Will it work the next time around? Will dirt and dust enter the mechanical parts and muck up the delicate electronic guts?
Who cares? Why would anyone with half a brain or better and in his right mind stand under a glider on the edge of a two hundred foot cliff assuming that he's gotta be hooked in 'cause he always does a hang check at the back of the ramp and his gadget isn't making any noise? A PILOT *ALWAYS* assumes a worst case scenario before making ANY critical decision and taking ANY critical action and VERIFIES all of his perceptions, assumptions, instrument readings by cross-checking with whatever else he has available.
How about false alarms? How long will you be willing to listen to an obnoxious alarm before you get fed up with the device, rip it off your glider and stomp it into the ground?
Disable it and see if you can muddle through the upcoming launch the way Rob Kells reported in the 2005/12 issue of the magazine he had through all of his previous eight thousand or so.
Besides, the sensor, wire and little black box look kinda nerdy on a sleek gliding machine.
They add weight and drag and can't and don't do the job as effectively, thoroughly, consistently, safely as I can and do.
Personal Opinion: The electronic hook-in alarm works.
"The electronic hook-in alarm works." does not sound to me like a Personal Opinion. It sounds to me like an undisputed statement of fact.
I've seen John's design work, and my "final" design (at some point you have to shoot the engineer and get on with production)...
Too bad we didn't shoot Bobby Fucking-Genius Bailey a quarter century ago and get on with production.
...is on my glider and has been working for some time now.
Yeah? I would define "working" as preventing unhooked launches. So how many unhooked launches has it prevented?
The electronic guts and switches can be made weather and shock proof.
Which implies that they haven't yet been. Maybe we were a bit premature with shooting the engineer and getting on with production.
The battery can be replaced before it would ever fail (you fly with a battery in your vario, right?)...
Yeah, but I know and don't die when it quits.
...and developing better preflight habits should minimize false alarms.
As would not using it.

Here's an idea for the kind of asshole this device would appeal to...

Red strobe at the nose gets switched on at the back of the ramp where you're doing your idiot hang check and flashes at all times your suspension is slack. Two seconds prior to intent to launch you tighten your suspension by lifting the glider and make the strobe switch off. Alerts/Reminds you and the crew that you've got a potentially deadly operation in progress and need to run a critical check which confirms your leg loops, doesn't bother anybody, if the battery dies the now familiar flashing is absent and awareness/alertness of pilot and crew is heightened all the more.

I sure don't need anything like this 'cause I've never lost the tiniest degree of fear of launching unhooked but it would be an infinitely superior fail-safe approach in comparison to your gadget which is all based on no noise / no problem and take no physical action to verify that you're hooked in and have your leg loops.
Quite frankly, I do not believe any of these devices, by themselves, will prevent failures to hook in. There will always be someone, somewhere who will just oaf out. But I believe the chances of making such a mistake can be greatly reduced.
What do you think would happen with the landscape if THIS:
With each flight, demonstrates a method of establishing that the pilot is hooked in just prior to launch.
34 plus year old SOP were taught and viciously enforced instead of being universally ignored and pissed all over? I'd predict that it would blow the unhooked launch into total extinction the next day. It would be an overnight success of an even greater magnitude than the elimination of the Infallible Weak Link was in eliminating aerotow launch crashes.
All of the above devices, along with the tried-and-true hang check...
Fuck you, Harry. It was made ABUNDANTLY clear in the USHGA article in the 1981/05 magazine article and revision of the SOPs that the tried-and-true hang check doesn't do SHIT in the way of unhooked launch prevention.
...will minimize the number of accidental failures to hook in.
Well duh. But then how are we gonna deal with all the DELIBERATE failures to hook in? 'Specially at places like McConnellsburg, Whitwell, Mingus, Jean Lake, Torrey?
I know there are more pros...
Told ya there was no apostrophe.
...and cons for each of the above, so where does that leave us?
Pretty much where we were when you published this article twenty-three and a half years ago when you published this article - EXACTLY where with respect to gadgets. Unabated flow of unhooked launches, trashed gliders, devastating injuries, destroyed and ended lives.

And somehow I never seem to hear your voice calling attention to your gadget in any of the postmortem discussions regarding incidents which wouldn't have happened had your gadget been in play - particularly high profile ones like Bill Priday, Jim Keen-Intellect Rooney, Bille Floyd, Kunio Yoshimura, Lenami Godinez-Avila.

And how many little red rubber FOCUSED PILOT wristbands would you estimate u$hPa has gotten into circulation in the few years since their introduction?
Hopefully, a majority of us will take advantage of some or all of these ideas for safety...
1. Wow, you're pretty optimistic. I've learned to be pretty happy getting through to two or three individuals.

2. You haven't actually demonstrated that anything you're trying to advance in your article will enhance safety. You're just ASSUMING it will. And ASSUMING is the root of the problem on this issue.
...and reaffirm good preflight habits.
Good preflight habits have little to nothing to do with the unhooked launch problem.
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

by Harry Martin

A PERSONAL ELECTRONIC HOOK-IN ALARM

Of all the great articles that appear in Hang Gliding magazine, I find Doug Hildreth's accident reports the most illuminating.
And just what was it that Doug Hildreth was pushing in the magazine for fourteen years to address this issue that you're pretty much totally dismissing?
We can learn from the mistakes of others, and the recent significant increase in the number of pilots who fail to hook in greatly disturbs me.
So what has there been to be learned from the mistakes of others on this issue in a single incident since the late Seventies?
I can't help but wonder when it may happen to me.
Maybe you should just do what I do. ASSUME it WILL happen to me on the launch I'm about to execute. Tell me what the downside to that approach is and...

http://www.hanggliding.org/viewtopic.php?t=31781
Another hang check lesson
Alan Deikman - 2014/09/23 19:47:06 UTC

For my part I will just refer you to the classic Tad Eareckson essay which I call "the gun is always loaded" which is a bit overworked but probably all you will ever need to read regarding FTHI. A lot of people will find it gores their particular sacred Ox, but I have never seen anyone point out a flaw in his logic.
...how that strategy can POSSIBLY be improved on.
Knowing my own limitations, and realizing that I could suffer a severe oafism...
In the window between when I first became aware of this issue in the spring and when I was tuned into lift and tug in the fall of 1980 and knowing MY own limitations I was pretty certain that this issue would kill me within a maximum span of two years. The prospect terrified me. And that, in itself, was a really good thing.
I decided to design my own hook-in alarm.
I wasn't that clever or innovative - fortunately.
In 1988 I built a working prototype and tried it out on a pilot friend to see what would happen. It had an obvious design flaw and was laughed out of existence.
Ain't that a great community we have for this sport? Somebody has an idea for advancement and benefit to the public, Experimental Version 1.0 has a problem so it gets laughed out of existence. Nobody wants to take thirty seconds to look at, address the problem, and move things forward. If these fucking assholes had been hanging out at Kitty Hawk in 1901 when Wilbur and Orville were finding out about adverse yaw the hard way they'd have laughed their stupid fucking asses off all the way back to the nearest tavern and stayed there.
So I tried all sorts of designs in the privacy of my own harness when no one was looking. I played with magnetic sensors, infrared optical sensors, spring-loaded switches, bungee cords and other crazy schemes.
Anything as crazy as the lift and tug hook-in check? Any thoughts on how to address the obvious and deadly false sense of security design flaw?
The most difficult thing about the whole project was figuring out how to install an indestructible, nice looking, inexpensive sensor in a soft, mushy hang strap. I wanted something that would detect the fact that you were hooked in through the simple act of hooking in, without the need to pull on a third loop or plug in a connector. The sensor needed to be easily installed on any glider without hassle...
Yeah, that's a major engineering issue with an aerotow release system. It can't be built into the glider like a sailplane release system or a hang glider VG system. It needs to be easily installed on any glider without hassle. Issues like being functional in any but ideal circumstances have no significance whatsoever 'cause we have hook knives and special fishing line to handle those situations.
...and it had to work with any arrangement of the carabiner.
Like:

fer instance. Also if you've missed your leg loops. Great job, Harry!
The hang strap offers no support for a rigid sensor that must be in close proximity to the device that it is trying to sense. The carabiner flops around and changes position in the strap. This problem was to be a thorn for quite some time, I finally worked out a design which I would like to share with everyone. I can only hope that this idea will spur people to either build the device, or demand that glider manufacturers look into installing such a device as an option on your next new glider.
Good freakin' luck.
So what is the great solution? It's simple: the carabiner is metal and therefore conducts electricity.
Whether or not it's closed fully engaging the suspension.
It is a very simple matter to install two very small metal plates inside your backup hang strap. The two metal plates are connected to wires that go to an alarm circuit. As soon as you hook in, the carabiner makes contact across the plates and deactivates the alarm. Thus, your carabiner acts as a switch to close a sensor circuit.

Since the carabiner is the switch, there is nothing to wear out, get dirty or replace except for the carabiner itself. But, as with any piece of equipment, it is only as good as the person who uses it.
How 'bout an airbag? I've been under the impression that they're most likely to work when the person using it is total crap.
Use it correctly and it could save your life.
If you use the glider correctly and make any effort to adhere to the simplest and most easily executed requirement in the Pilot Proficiency Program it won't. It will NEVER do you the least amount of good.
It only has to work once to prove a point...
Has it? Do we have ONE SINGLE REPORT of ANY gadget preventing an unhooked, partially hooked, or leg loopless foot launch?

Granted, you can say the same thing about the lift and tug hook-in check. I have no documented reports of that procedure preventing an unhooked or leg loopless launch. It's a no brainer that the kind of person who does this procedure is highly likely to remember that he's not hooked in the nanosecond he thinks about doing and before he executes a hook in check.

I was on the dunes one time doing a lot of repetitions and couldn't remember whether or not I was hooked in. So I let the glider float up and verified that I wasn't. But no fuckin' way can that be considered a save 'cause no fuckin' way would ANYBODY with a low double digit IQ or better commit to a launch if he weren't positive he was hooked in.

Best I can do is Norm Boessler aborting a powered harness launch from Mount Borah on 2010/01/09 when he discovered ONE missed leg loop which would've been a nonissue anyway.

But what I CAN say is that lift and tuggers - and there may not be many but they dwarf the population of gadgeteers do not EVER forget to lift and tug and do not launch unhooked or leg loopless. And if the mandatory hook-in check were actually made mandatory local cultures would never allow anyone to go off a ramp unhooked.

And you DO NOT want to develop a culture in which it's assumed that the glider about to launch is hooked in 'cause nobody's hearing a buzzer.
...as did the first pilot who was saved by a backup parachute in the 70's.
Bullshit. The first heavier-than-air craft pilots saved by backup parachutes were World War One German fighters. We didn't prove anything when we started using them for hang gliders.
I hope to hear someday that a pilot was saved by either John's design or mine.
Well, it's been twenty-three and a half years now and we're still waiting. Sure hope you haven't been holding your breath waiting for definitive results.
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

by Harry Martin

CONSTRUCTION AND THEORY OF OPERATION

As mentioned, the carabiner is the switch for the sensor in the hang strap. That leaves the alarm circuit. My alarm circuit utilizes two timers and the actual ear-piercing buzzer. One timer delays turning on the alarm for a couple of seconds to help reduce the number of false alarms. The other timer delays turning off the alarm so that after a couple of minutes of a 78-decibel earache it will shut down to save the battery. I figure that if you don't take action to hook in during those first two minutes, you're either deaf or nowhere near the glider. I have included the basic schematic for the overall circuit except for the actual alarm guts. Ninety-nine percent of the parts can be found at Radio Shack. Almost any simple electronic alarm can be used, and it does not have to include delays. Removing the delay circuitry greatly simplifies its construction, but this was a feature that I wanted in the overall design.

The buzzer is a piezo electric transducer that screams as loud as a crying infant who wants attention. It was tested to be quite obnoxious from 12 volts DC all the way down to three volts DC. I used CMOS parts to get a wider operating voltage range. A nine-volt lithium battery should last longer than the hang straps on my glider.

When the glider is tail down for setup, breakdown, or standby prior to flight, a mercury (Hg) bulb tilt switch turns all power off and resets both timers. As soon as the glider is lifted and is level for flight, the mercury tilts to the other side of the bulb, powers up the circuit, and starts the timers. If the carabiner contacts the sensor both timers are reset, and the alarm is disabled until you unhook. If you unhook while the alarm is active, both timers restart and will time out all over again. Thus, in my design, much attention was given to preserving battery life, and making sure that the timers would always restart no matter when or how often you unhook or hook in.

The carabiner circuit is sensitive enough to detect a finger across the contact plates, so that even the dirtiest carabiner (steel or aluminum) will be detected. The contact plates that mount in the hang strap were constructed from pieces of non-anodized aluminum. Stainless steel would be better, but aluminum is easier to work with, with limited hand tools. The plates where mounted (are you ready for this?) to the wood pieces of a clothes pin. Yep, I discovered that the spring between those two pieces of wood provided the perfect tension to keep the plates against the carabiner. I experimented with bungee cord material, but discovered that with time the bungee weakens and loses its grip (the stuff just gets tired). The plates were then sewn into the backup strap using just a few stitches. The sensor is easily inspected for damage and can be moved to a new strap should the backup ever need replacing. With just a little care, I expect the sensor to last the rest of my natural flying life. I chose to put the plates inside the backup to save wear and tear on the sensor. Should I fail to hook into my primary strap, at the very least, I would be hooked into my backup.

The last thing I added to the design was an arming pin. The arming pin is attached to the glider cover bag with a long cord. As long as the pin remains in the alarm it is disarmed and off, to save the battery no matter what position the glider is in. When the cover bag comes off, the pin pulls out to arm the circuit. Thus, the pilot does not need to remember to turn on the alarm.

As an alternative, a flag could be attached to the pin instead of the cover bag. The pilot could then remove the pin prior to flight, eliminating possible false alarms while ground handling the glider. If the pilot forgets to put the pin back in after putting the glider away, the second timer will automatically shut down the alarm to save the battery.

The arming pin contains a small bar magnet that activates a normally open magnetic reed switch. When the pin is in, the reed switch opens to kill battery power, When the pin is pulled, the switch closes to turn on battery power. A reed switch was used so that it can be sealed from the weather. Everything was neatly tucked inside the plastic housing that I constructed from PVC end caps. The pin can be inserted from either side into a plastic sleeve. Thus, I have a circuit which is fully protected from moisture and dust.

All parts are mounted with epoxy adhesives and a little super glue here and there. The Hg bulb switch is sandwiched between layers of foam tape to provide shock mounting and the plastic housing was cut and shaped so that it will fit flush with the keel. A piece of foam rubber seals the battery compartment from the elements and the whole thing is held in place with some of our favorite material, velcro.

The photographs of the installed system show that it requires very little room to install. As a matter of fact, I have another design that slips right into a downtube, so if it weren't for the sensor wire you wouldn't even know it was on the glider. Another design could be easily installed into the hollow keel of any glider, since control bar configurations differ.
So what's wrong with:
...and just prior to launch, to prove to yourself that you are hooked in, YOU will lift your glider up so high that you can feel the hang straps.
from the end of your seventh paragraph?

The pros:
- You do it just prior to launch - the only time anything matters.
- It catches your leg loops - which you don't mention.
- Most people can do it with all glider/harness combos.
- Everyone can do it with a:
-- little air coming in to float the glider; and/or
-- a two man crew
- One operates on the assumption that he's not hooked in so:
-- nobody who adopts this procedure every forgets to execute it
-- even if one does nothing the fear is almost certainly gonna kick in to catch a problem
- There's no:
-- extra cost
-- weight and/or drag penalty
-- battery to die and need to replace
-- thing that can be disabled by a dirt, water, temperature, crashes
-- buzzer to annoy anyone with a false alarm
-- possibility of not having the requisite components when you're gonna most need them
- We've had a USHGA SOP on the books for over 34 years mandating this procedure or something very like it for every flight for every rating.

The cons:
- Not everyone can do it in light air unassisted with all glider/harness combos - which you don't mention.
- Just like your gadget it doesn't catch a partial - which you don't mention for either of or the combined approaches.
- Raising your wing into the turbulent jet stream is likely to kill you after two or three repetitions.
- It gives you a false sense of security.
- Why bother? You:
-- just did a hang check at the back of the ramp ferchrisake
-- never get into your harness unless it's connected to your glider
- Aussie Methodist vigilante thugs are always looking for hook-in checkers to beat the crap out of.

And for the dead air individual unassisted pilot/harness/glider combo who can't execute the necessary lift and tug the engineering solutions are about a thousand times simpler, cheaper, lighter, cleaner than what you just described for your gadget.

So why aren't you even stressing that this procedure still needs to be performed in conjunction with the use of your gadget that nobody but you is using?
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

by Harry Martin

THE FUTURE
This is the future. Actually, what you were viewing as the future when you wrote that is now ancient history. We've more than doubled the lifespan of the sport since that article.
This is where I put in a pitch for glider manufacturers to consider designing keels to house such a device.
Good freakin' luck.
How much trouble would it be to incorporate a small compartment to accommodate a battery and alarm?
A lot more than just mirror imaging the relevant VG system components on the right side of the control frame to the left to install my built-in aerotow release system. But the motherfuckers won't bother lifting a goddam finger to do that much so I'd advise you to not hold your breath any longer.
The battery could be slipped into the keel near an endcap, with the rest of the circuit closer to the kingpost. The whole circuit is inexpensive enough to be considered disposable. It could be installed on all gliders as a feature, then it would be up to the pilot to decide whether or not to use it.
Try to make it look like an extra backup loop. They'll go nuts for it.
The most common reaction from seasoned pilots is: "That's a great idea for students."
Course. That's 'cause they're all total fucking assholes too stupid to realize that there's no correlation between Hang Rating and unhooked launch incidents.
Old salty flying dogs may not go for this, so there may not be a market for an electronic hook-in alarm.
They won't bother lifting their gliders up six inches before running off a two hundred foot cliff - so what were you expecting?
But I remember when I bought a parachute in 1978 when no one wanted them. A week later I was getting calls from my flying buddies begging me to let them borrow it. Their plea was: "I'm going to do some heavy duty flying this weekend, can I please borrow your parachute?" What kind of flying were they doing prior to that weekend, sissy flying? I told them to get lost as I hugged by new parachute. So now I've got my hook-in alarm and a parachute that I've never had to use.
Exactly. And while I've never come anywhere close to having a need for a parachute and am anything but optimistic about its ability to save my ass should an occasion arise I'll take the parachute. 'Cause there's a possibility that it may save my life in some situation that arose due to some or no fault of my own. There is no situation I will ever put myself into in which your gadget will ever do me any good.
Will anyone buy it?
Lift and tug is free. In some situations assholes will fight the glider's lift to keep it from happening. Videos depicting people doing hook-in checks are near impossible to find. So what do you think?
Does anyone want it? It remains to be seen.
Not anymore.
The whole argument for having one is easily shot down by the fact that hang checks cost nothing.
Bull fucking shit. They cost a lot of time energy and effort on the part of the "pilot" and an assistant or two, tell you NOTHING other than bar clearance which you need to check about half a dozer times in the course of a typical career, create problems that you didn't have before the hang check, and have maimed and killed scores of the total fucking assholes who rely on them as confirmation of safe hook-in status.
It is my opinion that hook-in signs, stringy gadgets, alarms and hang checks will all help to prevent failures to hook in.
The signs are completely useless at best, the hang checks are totally deadly, and not one gadget - stringy or electronic - has ever been recorded to have scored a save in any environment.
I hope my electronic solution encourages more pilots to experiment with such devices.
It didn't - and that's about the best we could've hoped for. 95 percent of these assholes won't experiment with fishing line that doesn't break six times in a row in light morning conditions until after Davis decides he's happy with two hundred.
The hook-in alarm is not meant to replace the hang check...
Nah, you'd hafta work your ass off to engineer a hook-in alarm to be one percent as dangerous as a hang check - fuckin' Rooney Link of foot launch.
...but only to act as a backup should other safety checks fail.
Goddam hang check is NOT a safety check any more than an Infallible Weak Link is an emergency release or pitch and lockout protector. It's a BAR CLEARANCE check and NOTHING more. And bar clearance has shit to do with safety. Use a hang check as a safety check and you kill people - PERIOD.
Should I ever be the last pilot off the mountain with no launch assist for a hang check, I'm betting that it will prevent a failure to hook in.
1. So I was right back in my third commentary post on this issue when I said that just prior to launch you'd never actually proven to yourself that you were hooked in by lifting your glider up so high that you could feel the straps tension as the glider stopped going up.

2. Didn't you just tell us that it's a fact that a hang check costs nothing? If it costs nothing then what's stopping you from doing one when you're the last pilot off the mountain with no launch assist for a hang check?

3. And, of course, a hang check is the only way one can POSSIBLY determine that one's safely connected to his glider. If you were standing at a summit with flames racing up on all sides and due to converge in five minutes you'd resign yourself and your glider to incineration because the risk of launching unhooked would be unacceptably high and the consequences unimaginably horrible.

4. Right Harry. That's when the unhooked launch is most likely to rear its ugly head - when some asshole is left alone on top without so much as a wuffo to hold his nose for the critical hang check so he's absolutely terrified of launching unhooked. Not at the Tennessee Team Challenge when a wind dummy is threading his way through a jam packed opening day setup area with his carabiner dangling behind his knees to a full crew on the Whitwell ramp with everyone and his dog asking him every five yards if he's had an idiot fucking hang check.

5. That's when you most need your gadget to confirm that you're good to go because you've got some piece of metal in your hang strap completing a circuit between two contact plates and disabling a buzzer. Doing a walk-through and turning around and LOOKING at your connection and/or lifting the glider until it stopped would be simply out of the question 'cause there's no buzzer (like there wouldn't be if your carabiner were dangling and your battery were dead - idiot).
I would encourage glider manufacturers to consider installing such a device as an option.
Nah, just give us an extra backup loop. We're bound to snag at least one of them.
Maybe someday a doctor will invent a pill to cure oafism, and we will never read about failures to hook in again.
I can think of a few pills that would cure your oafism and guarantee that you'd never again hafta worry about a failure to hook in. Sounds like you've already taken a few of them is small sublethal doses.
Harry Martin - Caspar, Wyoming - 15705 - Pilot
What do ya know? Same qualifications as Tim Herr.
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

http://www.chgpa.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1149
Team Challenge: Daily Update Thread
Holly Korzilius - 2005/10/01 18:19:55 UTC

Incident at 2005 Team Challenge

I don't have many details at this point, but I just got a call from Scott Wilkinson. Bill Priday launched from Whitwell without hooking in. Scott indicated there was about a hundred foot drop off from launch. Bill's status is unknown at this time. Please pray for him!

I will provide updates as I get them from Scott.
Holly Korzilius - 2005/10/01 18:38:40 UTC

Status Update

Scott just informed me that Bill didn't make it. He died. The only other information I have is that no CHGPA or Blue Sky pilots were part of Bill's wire crew.

I don't know what else to say. I'm sitting here weeping for Bill. He was such a wonderful guy. So full of life and fun loving.
09-05019
http://c1.staticflickr.com/3/2928/13891086719_3ba7e65d38_o.png
http://c1.staticflickr.com/3/2933/14074543322_a183cc3a23_o.png
10-05124

Ten years ago today, launch was approximately 18:00 UTC / local 14:00 EDT, this post plus three hours. Holly's posts were eighteen minutes and forty-five seconds apart.

And who remembers or gives enough of a flying fuck to have done anything substantive about it? I can one hundred percent guarantee you that you won't be seeing anything appear on the CHGA site today. As far as those motherfuckers are concerned both Bill and Yours Truly were dead, buried, and forgotten long ago.
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

http://www.chgpa.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1149
Team Challenge: Daily Update Thread
Scott Wilkinson - 2005/10/02 15:09:27 UTC

Team Challenge, Day Two...

There was a long, emotional pilots' meeting this morning by the ramp at Henson's.
Henson.
Dean Funk, the meet organizer, has been devastated by Bill's death as much as anyone, having seen other deaths in the sport, and having actually left the sport, sold all his gear, and only recently decided to start flying again.

One thing is painfully obvious to everyone here: there was no official structure at launch yesterday. No designated Launch Director, no designated Safety Director.
Nobody talking about:
With each flight, demonstrates a method of establishing that the pilot is hooked in just prior to launch.
We all know there should have been. And, of course, there will be from now on.
But let's continue to studiously ignore:
Some might blame the Team Challenge organizers for that oversight, but of course blaming anyone for Bill's death would be useless.
Beats the crap outta blaming no one but Bill. Steve Wendt is, of course, the asshole MOST deserving of having his head handed back to him on a platter.
There were many contributing factors, not least of which was Bill's own carelessness and gung-ho attitude.
Bullshit. There was one and one only "contributing" factor - and nobody's even hinting at its existence.
Dean asked if anyone wanted to say anything about Bill.
How 'bout, "He died from an assumption."?
After an awkward moment of silence, I stepped up and tried my best to communicate the essence of Bill---his love and dedication to the sport, his big future plans, his warmth, and his eternal optimism.
Yep, got that last point right for sure. The people who have their shit together on this issue are all eternal extreme pessimists during the window at which shit matters.
It was incredibly hard, and I got choked up while talking. Thankfully, others stepped forward to offer their memories of Bill as well.
How he was told exactly two weeks prior at McConnellsburg, "You are not hooked in until after the hang check."?
Finally, there was a long moment of silence in Bill's memory.
What? No great flights? Just a long moment of silence?
It was decided that the meet will go on today.
Sure. You'll probably get better results.
Everyone felt, as Dennis Pagen eloquently put it, that flying for all of us is an affirmation of life, and that flying is how best to commemorate Bill and move past his death. Conditions look good for another Whitwell day, with clear skies and E-SE winds.
Toldyaso.
Last night I was wanting to just pack up and leave. I still felt that way when I woke this morning...but after more reflection, more conversations with fellow pilots, and after our meeting I've decided to stay. I want to fly, as do others in our group...but today's still too soon. So Daniel, Linda, Rance, and myself are not flying today. We'll just relax, maybe watch some launches from Whitwell, and continue healing. Tomorrow is a new day, and we all want to get back in the air. We've got all week, and we plan to fly at our own pace...and not get caught up in any pressures---perceived or real---
Or tow.
...of competing for miles. (We may just end up free flying near the primary LZ all week, which suits us fine.)

Hank is flying today, and Bruce may fly (he's going to launch with gear, and will decide then). I'm happy they're flying, and hope they go high and far!

Meanwhile, all Bill's gear has been packed up and stowed in his truck, where it will remain until we drive it back to Richmond.

It's still enormously difficult to comprehend Bill's loss, but we're determined to carry on, be safer, more vigilant, follow our preflight routines even more vigilantly, and have fun---because that's what Bill would have wanted.
Fuck preflight routines. The have ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with this issue. If you assholes hadn't been so FOCUSED on preflight routines this would never have happened - same way it's never come close to happening at Glacier and Makapu'u Points.
Scott Wilkinson - 2005/10/04 13:03:47 UTC

Tuesday morning...

Daniel, Linda and I all left yesterday, and are back in Richmond now after a long drive home. I wanted to fly in Tennessee, and hoped after a day of reflection and the passage of time I'd be in a better frame of mind. It never happened. Night before last, I awoke in my hammock in the middle of the night, and in the dark silence could only think of Bill. His fatal launch just kept rolling over and over in my head like a cursed video.

Daniel thought he might be able to fly too, but like me, he realized it was impossible. Rance, Bruce, Hank and Karma are still there. I hope they all flew high and far yesterday!

As I pondered whether to stay and fly, I never doubted my ability to launch and land safely. For me though, flying is every bit as much mental as physical (probably more so). My mental state is everything. Perhaps if I'd had years of experience under my belt (like many other pilots at the Team Challenge), I'd have been better able to put Bill's death behind me and simply enjoy being in the air again. But with my limited experience, I couldn't do it.

When I got into this sport, I made a promise to myself that I'd never fly unless I was feeling happy, optimistic, confident, physically fit, and completely comfortable.
Kinda the way Bill was on the ramp a couple days ago?
Anything less, and I pack it up for the day. I doubt I would have felt any better had I stayed in Tennessee a few more days. There were still too many painful reverberations there.

I'm certain had there not been an accident, we would all have flown the entire week and had a great time. But it wasn't meant to be.

We arrived around 11pm last night at the home of Nick and Sandi Martina---two of Bill's best friends and neighbors. Tex Forrest was there too.
Fuck Tex Forrest too.
It was an emotional homecoming, as we all shared tears and hugs. Then we sat and talked about the accident...
The what?
...talked about Bill, and just decompressed. There were more tears during quiet moments, and also laughter remembering some of Bill's crazier moments.
Not sure I'd be laughing at his craziest moment.
Daniel, Linda and I are driving up to Blue Sky flight park this morning to see Steve and to drop off Bill's Sport 2.
You mean the one Steve sold him without ever once having required to fly in compliance with:
The glider is in good shape---no tears in the sail, no noticeable breaks or bends in the airframe. Lots of scuffs on the leading edge, tangled VG lines, but nothing Steve couldn't easily fix.
What did he charge for the repair?
(As I mentioned earlier, gliders don't land hard with nobody in them.)
Well yeah, there's nobody trying to whipstall it to a dead stop.
There is a memorial service tentatively planned for this Saturday in Richmond. We should get confirmation sometime today. I don't know the family's wishes regarding how many people they'd mind coming (in case anyone wishes to attend), but I'll post information as soon as it's available.
So did everyone catch this part?:
Everyone felt, as Dennis Pagen eloquently put it, that flying for all of us is an affirmation of life, and that flying is how best to commemorate Bill and move past his death.
Dennis was there at Whitwell when this happened. Twelve years, two days, four hours, and fifty minutes prior (1993/09/28 09:10 EDT) Dennis had tumbled down the slope at Morningside - while his glider had gone on without him and nailed a perfect spot landing in the middle of a pond - and spent the next week limping. And then three months after that he had published in the (his) magazine...

http://www.kitestrings.org/post273.html#p273

...its only extensive article on the actual hook-in check with which he suddenly decided to become religious - the one I'd started doing as a Two a bit shy of thirteen years prior.

It's a good bet that we've never before or since had this many glider people all assembled to witness an unhooked launch incident this horrific and/or its immediate aftermath. Probably bent the needle on the PTSD meter. And Dennis is there amongst them and says NOTHING about hook-in checks.

Fuck no. We're in major ass covering mode now. We don't wanna let on that his instructor, the Tree Toppers club, the meet heads, his "buddies" never taught, implemented, required, insisted on this most fundamental of all foot launch safety procedures and consequently Bill had become a permanent almost-53-year-old.

But, rest assured, Dennis is quietly, subtly doing HIS lifts and tugs when HE goes off the Henson and Whitwell ramps when what's left of the competition gets underway.

I'da stood up during the moment of silence and said, "OK, do any of you motherfuckers get it NOW?!?" Then of course I'd have been kicked out of the comp for unsportsmanlike conduct and permanently banned from all Tree Topper sites.